test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Across Worlds. Across Media

aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
It's not just the Neverwinter reference, but this article on the D&D website by the D&D art director Jon Schindehette really speaks to the experience of the D&D brand that's brought so many of us here to debate Neverwinter. Neverwinter isn't just another video game to us that recognize it as part of the over arching idea that is D&D. It's another chapter in a long standing institution.

I thought you folks might appreciate this.
Post edited by aavarius on

Comments

• iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Shame on him saying people are playing the nonexistent Beta Test...giving false hope!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Shame on him saying people are playing the nonexistent Beta Test...giving false hope!

He probably meant Alpha unless they are considering the Conventions to be the the start of Beta. Also, there could be a super-closed beta for only select individuals going on right now, like for staff/family and paid testers prior to the Closed which will be happening soon.

I'm guessing that he meant Alpha though.
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Please, you're the one who announced some sort of beta had begun.
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=12471
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Ummm..truth....no I'll just keep my mouth shut.

/whistles and walks away slowly.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Beta started or not, and users breaking (indirectly) their NDA (and not being punished for it) or not, I read that line in the article as something atemporal.

"Plain and simple, D&D is important to all its fans, not just the ones that play it on the kitchen table. The fan that reads the R.A. Salvatore novels about Drizzt is just as interested in what's going on in the world as the DM that is trying to work up a cool adventure in the Dalelands, or the fan that is playing the new guardian fighter in the Neverwinter beta. Each of them is invested in D&D and has been bugging me to tell them when they will be able to buy some kind of consumer version of the Forgotten Realms World Bible (not any time soon)."
    Does that imply that the hypotetical beta testers of Neverwinter *points fingers at some specific users* have been asking this guy about that World Bible too? Or is the guy just talking in general about D&D fans?

b:chuckle
    edited October 2012
    shiaika wrote: »
    Beta started or not, and users breaking (indirectly) their NDA (and not being punished for it) or not, I read that line in the article as something atemporal.

"Plain and simple, D&D is important to all its fans, not just the ones that play it on the kitchen table. The fan that reads the R.A. Salvatore novels about Drizzt is just as interested in what's going on in the world as the DM that is trying to work up a cool adventure in the Dalelands, or the fan that is playing the new guardian fighter in the Neverwinter beta. Each of them is invested in D&D and has been bugging me to tell them when they will be able to buy some kind of consumer version of the Forgotten Realms World Bible (not any time soon)."
    Does that imply that the hypotetical beta testers of Neverwinter *points fingers at some specific users* have been asking this guy about that World Bible too? Or is the guy just talking in general about D&D fans?

b:chuckle

I personally think he's talking about D&D fans in general personally also I think I can say this without violating anything directly or indirectly...the fact that Neverwinter has been in testing for quite sometime is pretty well known, I remember when Jade Dynasty was in Alpha testing there were an insane amount of testers and that was way before the closed beta when that number grew even larger, it's logical that Cryptic is following that path since they are now owned by PWE.

My only hope is those who are testing it currently are taking it seriously and not using it as just a demo..I have had a beta key for a very long time and I'll get my chance sooner or later...hopefully.
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    My only hope is those who are testing it currently are taking it seriously and not using it as just a demo..I have had a beta key for a very long time and I'll get my chance sooner or later...hopefully.
    There is always people that use alphas/betas for demos (see any thread about asking for beta key). As long as there are enough people who really cares about the product and the testing itself, it should be ok.

But I want to suppose that if they are still in Alpha, it's unlikely that they have "demoers" in the tester group. At least, I'd expect the group to be (quite) smaller than in Beta and therefore, easier to keep better track of the testers.
    edited October 2012
    shiaika wrote: »
    There is always people that use alphas/betas for demos (see any thread about asking for beta key). As long as there are enough people who really cares about the product and the testing itself, it should be ok.

But I want to suppose that if they are still in Alpha, it's unlikely that they have "demoers" in the tester group. At least, I'd expect the group to be (quite) smaller than in Beta and therefore, easier to keep better track of the testers.

Well as I said the Jade Dynasty Alpha had a very large testing base NWO may have as well we know that the WOTC guys are testing it and I have a feelling that some of the once regular posters and STO foundry aces may be testing as well plus PWE has it's own in house testing group (which is why there games launch pretty smooth) but who knows...
    edited October 2012
    Well, my experience in alphas is actually limited to non MMO games so not really sure about the magnitude of the numbers. But I'd have to agree with you about the implied parties in the current testing phase.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Ya know what nothing I say would come out right so sorry for any offense or "perceived secret stuff from me" and I'll end there.

Edit: I wasn't being serious in my original reply post, but it was taken too seriously thus me dropping it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    Ya know what nothing I say would come out right so sorry for any offense or "perceived secret stuff from me" and I'll end there.

Personally I don't see the big deal truth...it's not like you are linking beta footage on justintv I think Cryptic has done a pretty good job keeping testing under wraps and those of us who have seen thing that we perhaps shouldn't aren't saying much either.

So no harm no foul
  • uniqueviluniquevil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 51
    edited October 2012
    but he got the most important thing rite
    being dnd ppl ARE definitely expect more compare to other mmo coz there are tons of posibility and customization hope crytic can live it up
    edited October 2012
    uniquevil wrote: »
    but he got the most important thing rite
    being dnd ppl ARE definitely expect more compare to other mmo coz there are tons of posibility and customization hope crytic can live it up

Yeah but you will have that regardless, we will hear the same old tired hyperbole

Lackluster
    Uninspired
    and the ever famous slap in the face.

It won't be any different here with the exception that really over the top rants tend to get locked by the volunteer mods on Cryptic's other two MMO's.
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I believe Schindehette simply misspoke. The game is not currently in closed or open beta, but you can bet "behind the scenes" testing is going on regardless.

As for Truth's comment, he was obviously joking folks, get over it! :)

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If beta starts, it has to be announced. Beta cannot start without the announcement of it being started. Hence there is nothing wrong in truth saying beta hasn't started yet - nor does it break any existing or non-existing agreement because it is common knowledge or common sense. Bringing some info already in public domain cannot be regarded as wrong.

Apart from that, it has time and again been announced that many venues to obtain beta key for closed beta would be announced once it is near start. So it is pretty obvious that beta hasn't started.

If there is an alpha testing going on or not, is a separate question - but really? Has alpha phase of gaming software has also fallen into the radar of users who view it as an early access??? I was hoping people would view it as a pain or some work rather than just an early access like beta these days is viewed...
  • health002health002 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    nm was demo
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    health002 wrote: »
    so i am guessing what i saw on twitch tv was false? i searched neverwinter online and picked the first one shows dude for 45mins running around,what i thought was the new neverwinter game but if its in alpha testing that wouldn't be it right?

It may have been a demo at one of the conferences cryptic showed. But unless you link the specific link, I am not sure I understand what you exactly mean.
  • ghosty2aghosty2a Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Anti-Spam bump ;)