test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I am bubbabinsky, AMA!

bubbabinskybubbabinsky Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 161 Community Moderator
edited September 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
For those of you who do not know what an AMA is, it's an "ask me anything".

The purpose of this thread is to let the community get to know me, why I'm here, and what I plan to accomplish if I am fortunate enough as to become a moderator for this forum.

All I ask is to keep questions appropriate.

So, without further ado,
AMA!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    How much do you know about DnD 4.0?
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • subway7850subway7850 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Will there be species traits in NW?
  • bubbabinskybubbabinsky Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 161 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    How much do you know about DnD 4.0?

Perhaps my biggest regret in the whole situation is that I don't know as much as I should about DnD, but then again, knowledge of DnD is not required to moderate the forum.

I played DDO a while back, and I liked the lore, and the story, but not the execution of the game, and that's what drove me away. I look forward to Neverwinter because I think it will be something special. I know that I will find something that makes me love it.

subway7850 wrote: »
    Will there be species traits in NW?
    Not sure if troll... I haven't played the game yet.

If it has been announced already, then I am sorry, I missed the news.
  • sobleaksobleak Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Perhaps my biggest regret in the whole situation is that I don't know as much as I should about DnD, but then again, knowledge of DnD is not required to moderate the forum.

I played DDO a while back, and I liked the lore, and the story, but not the execution of the game, and that's what drove me away. I look forward to Neverwinter because I think it will be something special. I know that I will find something that makes me love it.

Not sure if troll... I haven't played the game yet.

If it has been announced already, then I am sorry, I missed the news.

You lost my vote as moderator, IMO you need to have a passion and love for what you are going to get so involved in. Go buy a beginners trifecta Dungeon Masters Guide, Players Handbook and Monster Manual and start reading also. Also Get Neverwinter Nights Diamond edition and Neverwinter Nights 2.

P.S. AMA in my profession means Against Medical Advice.
  • vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    sobleak wrote: »
    You lost my vote as moderator, IMO you need to have a passion and love for what you are going to get so involved in. Go buy a beginners trifecta Dungeon Masters Guide, Players Handbook and Monster Manual and start reading also. Also Get Neverwinter Nights Diamond edition and Neverwinter Nights 2.

What he's involved to is moderating. It does not matter if he's a D&D loremaster or whatever, it's not what his job is - his job is to police the forums. Knowing the full list of abberant creatures of Abeir-Toril by heart, including stats and abilities, or knowing the events that happened during the Crown Wars in chronological order won't make the least bit of differencein locking spam threads and moving suggestion posts away from General Discussion...

Anyway, bubba, where do you live? (so that I know where to send the bomb in case I'm banned :p kidding) And welcome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A hgood moderator guides the community as much as leaves them alone to develop posting. Having knowledge on the topic is key, but this game isn't a straight out 4.0 rules set either. Let him show his worth by his actions and not by a predefined set of questions however.

This written, it's not polite to mention voting publicly on the forum posts. Please treat voting as confidential until it's closed at least.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stormshadestormshade Member, Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A hgood moderator guides the community as much as leaves them alone to develop posting. Having knowledge on the topic is key, but this game isn't a straight out 4.0 rules set either. Let him show his worth by his actions and not by a predefined set of questions however.

This written, it's not polite to mention voting publicly on the forum posts. Please treat voting as confidential until it's closed at least.

Sometimes I go all goo goo for you Truth... b:victory

Seriously, this is the best post I've seen on the topic of moderator picks yet.

Cheers,

Stormshade
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    stormshade wrote: »

Cheers,

Stormshade

And yet I have a Typo! Thanks though ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • slayogornslayogorn Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    What race/class are you? (full options, not limited by the available Neverwinter combinations)
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    stormshade wrote: »

Cheers,

Stormshade

Evil mode on.
    Well at least he is active on the forum no lik other comunity managers that speak very rarely. Yes yes very interesting

The question is. Who is gonna wipe out the spammers ?
    edited September 2012
    aeroth001 wrote: »
    Evil mode on.
    Well at least he is active on the forum no lik other comunity managers that speak very rarely. Yes yes very interesting

Why, our moderators of course! With the stylus of Deletion +6

(Note to Developers: Please craft Styluses of Deletion +6 for our Moderators!)

And I like SS's reply, but I may be a weeee bit biased :p

But if this is a serious question for all Mods and Devs it might be better asked here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • catburger003catburger003 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You're already a moderator on the RaiderZ forum and you want more? :O

Isn't it hard to deal with alot of spams on RaiderZ? :o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want to HAMSTER in Neverwinter, whenever I want, for as long as I want.
  • bubbabinskybubbabinsky Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 161 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    First off, please excuse my absence yesterday. I try my best to make it on daily to see and manage current issues, as well as answering your questions. I was extremely busy yesterday and could not make it to the interwebz, but nonetheless, I am here and ready to answer.

So without further ado, here are some replies :)

slayogorn wrote: »
    What race/class are you? (full options, not limited by the available Neverwinter combinations)

I'm not sure if you mean specifically for Neverwinter or just games in general. In RaiderZ I enjoyed a paladin build. In most other games I tend to lean more towards supporting my team, yet doing damage. Tanking is not for, it's too difficult and my lack of ability makes it very stressful.
    aeroth001 wrote: »

As truth said, the mods!

I wanted to broaden my horizons and experience more communities. I knew that this could have potentially been an issue, but I cleared it with my CM as well as my two new friends that now help me moderate the RaiderZ forum. If I had thought it was going to be too difficult of a challenge, I wouldn't have signed up.
    edited September 2012
    How many other mmo's have you played?

And have you ever played any RPG (PnP) and if s?, what games?
    edited September 2012
    How many other mmo's have you played?

And have you ever played any RPG (PnP) and if s?, what games?

I've played tons of MMOs. I started about 6 years ago with Rune Scape, then expanded from there. After Rune Scape came PWI, then just tons and tons more. I've played all of PWE's game at least once before. Sometimes I'll do a google search of MMOs and try something new. I've played FFXIV, DCUO, LOTRO, and many more.

I haven't played any PnPs, but I play RPGs all of the time. RPG's or MMORPG's are my favorite game genres.
    edited September 2012
    What do you think of DCUO? For me I think it sucks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    What do you think of DCUO? For me I think it sucks.

I like it. I haven't played it in a month or two. I bought the DLCs for the lolz. Definitely better games than that though.
    edited September 2012
    I just don't like the combat or DCUO. It's so bland. The best side is villains :D

How about PWI then? It's a pretty game but ruined by pay to win cash shop, extremely low exp rates and too much fetch quests ( In Argosaur)

And what race will you play in this game?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    I just don't like the combat or DCUO. It's so bland. The best side is villains :D

How about PWI then? It's a pretty game but ruined by pay to win cash shop, extremely low exp rates and too much fetch quests ( In Argosaur)

And what race will you play in this game?

I agree with you in DCUO. As for PWI. I loved that game. It's the most fun I had for 3 years of my life, then recently with r9 and recast and all of the things that I couldn't get from just playing, I started do dislike the game. I still visit rarely to see my friends, but that's about it.

As for this game, I really don't like to pick anything until I am in character create. I like to be able to see what I'm making. I'm an alt-oholic, so I'll be playing as everything eventually.
    edited September 2012
    But what class will your main be?
    edited September 2012
    But what class will your main be?

Like I said I'm not sure, it will take some looking at, but most likely a cleric, rogue, or wizard. Melee isn't my style, and I keep telling myself that I'm good at rogues/assassins, but I'm not.
    edited September 2012
    What is your biggest moderator accomplishment and mistake (and why?)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    What is your biggest moderator accomplishment and mistake (and why?)

My biggest accomplishment is internal. When I first started moderating, I thought it was just a bunch of me fixing the communities mistakes, and me bowing down to what that ask. I realized eventually though, that I can be a friend to them. I like to joke around every once in a while and make moderating fun. It gets much better responses than if I were to just moderate.

Since I was a rookie moderator at one point, my biggest mistake was back then. I can think of a few examples where I would moderate, and then the person of whom I moderated trolls me big time. Publicly, privately, all of it. I remember once one of these people trolled me, and then got extremely mad when I didn't take his side when it came judgement time. My mistake was letting him know that I didn't take his side. I'm definitely not going to let that happen again.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Since I was a rookie moderator at one point, my biggest mistake was back then. I can think of a few examples where I would moderate, and then the person of whom I moderated trolls me big time. Publicly, privately, all of it. I remember once one of these people trolled me, and then got extremely mad when I didn't take his side when it came judgement time. My mistake was letting him know that I didn't take his side. I'm definitely not going to let that happen again.

Just for clarification you mean people were trolling you but other players crossed the line while defending you?
    If so I have been there myself. It sucks because while they have the best intentions it still doesn't make it right. Sadly if mods get trolled it's really best to just leave them and let them handle it rather than jump in.

Well handled answering that question though bubbabinsky. I've been thinking about my own answer to that question since I saw it this morning. Leave it to Truthseeker to throw a curve ball haha.

Let's try my own.

What are some of the ways you have supported the RaiderZ Community and how do you plan to support the NW Community?
    Basically what can we expect of you?
    edited September 2012
    What are some of the ways you have supported the RaiderZ Community and how do you plan to support the NW Community?
    Basically what can we expect of you?

Well, as expected of a mod, I have taken care of the bad times on the forum, and really made the good ones stand out. I love to host events that actually reward everyone during the event, as well as reward the winner at the end. I don't like to hand out gimmicky rewards that weren't worth the wait.

One event I held on RaiderZ was the short story contest. The users got to enjoy writing a short story and I got to enjoy reading them. Then at the end, the winner got a custom forum title as well as some sweet custom gear of CBT. I can't promise similar rewards for events on the Neverwinter forum, but I will certainly try.

As for things unique to NW, I like to think of things as it's time for them to happen, if that makes sense. When I feel that it's time for an event, and the forum is unsettled or whatever, I will ask myself, "What can I do at this point that hasn't happened in the past?" Sometimes I will ask the community for input and ideas, and a lot of times I will use those ideas. It all just depends on the circumstance.
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    this is starting to feel like a presidential campaign
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

This, I don't think it's fair to this community nor to the Raiderz community to divide your time between them simply to "broaden your horizons" as this is you doing so at both communities expense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
    edited September 2012
    pilf3r wrote: »
    This, I don't think it's fair to this community nor to the Raiderz community to divide your time between them simply to "broaden your horizons" as this is you doing so at both communities expense.

I foresaw this being a popular reaction. I thought about whether or not I should sign up for this over and over. I know my limits and I know how a community works. I am fully confident in my ability to moderate both forums at once. I have two colleagues moderating with me on the RaiderZ forums. Does that mean that I have decided to let them take care of what I will no longer be doing? No. Would I have signed myself up for this position if I knew I would be leaving RaiderZ shorthanded? Absolutely not.

I have a passion for Neverwinter and for contributing to communities. Should I keep myself from that passion because I'm afraid that I won't be able to handle it? A couple of CMs at Perfect World are the Community Managers for more than one game. They can handle it properly.

I hope my rhetoric did not offend anyone, as that was not my intent.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    I'd just like to say that from past experience with Administrating Moderators and News Reporters, it is not unheard of and actually more common that many may realize for Moderators to moderate different forums for different games. Some of the best Moderators I've had the pleasure at taking part in hiring and training for new forums were usually ones that were already established and a well received member of a Volunteer Staff somewhere else.

I do not feel that moderating two different forums should be any real issue that the Community should worry about. Bubbabinsky seems well enough hooked on Neverwinter already and has already become a part of the Community, knowingly or not.

So, let's not dwell on whether moderating two forums would be too much for Bubbabinsky, for ultimately that is something he would first discover himself. The Moderating position is not for life and if he were to ever feel overwhelmed, he could simply step down from one of the positions and carry on with the other. Such, in my experience, is a common occurrence with a large pool of Volunteer Moderating and News Staff. This is generally a good thing anyway to keep fresh life and new perspectives and involvement while allowing Volunteering Community members to find their place doing something not everyone enjoys.

The only times I have seen that such is an issue is when there is not sufficient Overhead in an area to interview, train, and maintain new staff to fill any voids. As such, this latter should be something to take note with Cryptic/PWE and not the Volunteer Staff.
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You sound like a good mod, was just expressing my opinion. As it is now I'm sure you could mod this alone in your sleep.

I'm just talking about when the game is out and there more people here. If it gets anything close to what the ddo forums are like it'll be a full time job to mod.

I've just never been a fan of mods that are in several game forums or "hop around", it's nothing personal I just feel it's not a good way to run things even if big companies like people to multitask

I feel the quality ends up suffering eventually.

Dunno maybe the aeriagames forums ruined me on this kind of thing.

That said good luck if you do become a mod!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild