What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What class and race will you play?

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    lyfebane wrote: »
    ... mind if a class combines both...:)

Join me. Raise your hands and move them in up and down fashion and ask for "Scythe Avengers of Raven Queen" - bad looking scythe powered by divine power of Death!
  • porcoblueporcoblue Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It depends on the flexibility of the character creation system.

Option 1) Shadar-kai hybrid wizard/swormage with multiclass assassin.
    Option 2) Drow thief
    Option 3) Human fighter
  • firelordzx5firelordzx5 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    they explained that the classes are not complete and need to polish it, so dream more for a multiclass system, subclass, new whole class or something like that...
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    aeroth001 wrote: »
    btw we really need a tank race like the warforge or half-orc or something like that !! It's a must in all d&d
    i cannot even understand a party witout one
    zebular wrote: »
    That's the thing we don't need though, in my opinion. There really is no "tank-race" in D&D as any race can be a "tank." What makes any character a tank is their class, not their race, plus the placement of feats and attributes. Sure, some races have pros that help one to "tank" but ultimately, if your not a "tank" class, race doesn't matter. Even then, race plays little matter in such as "tanking" is something dictated by, as I said, one's class and their feat choices and attribute placements.

Please, no Warforged... for the love of Mystryl. No, just no.

I'll bypass the other replies on this and simply say Dwarf is tank or defender or whatever you want to call them, hands down. They are a rock! (Not to be confused with the literal rock of the Goliath of course :) )

Case in point, Dwarven Defender:
    Dwarven Defender

"The wrath of Hell can?t move me, but I can hammer you into place!"
    Prerequisite: Dwarf, fighter

Your people defied the titans and giants. Unity has sustained them, and tenaciousness has upheld them; traditions preserving these values serve them well. They stand unmoved and unconquered, like the mountains, against orcs and goblins and dragons.
    Dwarf soldiers are unmatched in their fighting prowess and loyalty to one another. War stories hold that a single dwarf foot soldier is the match of any two warriors of another race and the same skill. Two such soldiers are worth five similarly skilled enemies. When the enemy forces are composed of little more than savages, dwarven armies break them like stone channels water.
    All the institutions of dwarven society have soldiers loyal to the cause. Doughty fighters serve king or lord, guild or business, deity or church, or a simple creed. A few serve the almighty coin, selling their time and axes for wealth. Time-honored fighting techniques teach a dwarf warrior to use his or her racial abilities to the fullest and to use fine weapons and heavy armor. When the dogs of war are loosed, dwarf soldiers hold the line.
    You are a master of dwarven fighting arts, relying on loyal allies as much as your own courage and resilience. Your expertise lies in defensive maneuvers and battle-line tactics. You know how to take advantage of holes in enemy lines. Allies come to rely on you as the center of the squad. They take heart in your steadfastness and your ability to break the defenses of your enemies.

DWARVEN DEFENDER PATH FEATURES

Defensive Action (11th level): Whenever you spend an action point to take an extra action, you gain a +2 bonus to your AC and Fortitude until the end of your next turn.
    Stalwart Defender (11th level): Whenever you are adjacent to at least one ally, you and adjacent allies gain a +1 bonus to AC, and all adjacent allies can reduce the distance they are moved by any pull, push, or slide by 1 square.
    Roots of the Earth (16th level): The Stand Your Ground racial trait can reduce the distance you are moved by 5 squares.

Dwarven Defender Attack 11
    Press Forward

Knocking your enemies back, you step into the gap.
    Encounter Martial, Weapon
    Standard Action Close burst 1
    Target: Each enemy in the burst you can see
    Attack: Strength vs. AC
    Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and you slide the target 1 square. You can then shift 1 square into the space that the target occupied.
    Weapon: If you?re wielding an axe, a hammer, or a pick, the attack deals extra damage equal to your Constitution modifier.

Dwarven Defender Utility 12
    Forge Fire Heart

By looking to your own defense, you instill adjacent allies with courage.
    Encounter Martial
    Minor Action Personal
    Effect: Until the end of your next turn, you gain a +4 power bonus to all defenses, and any ally adjacent to you gains a +2 power bonus to Will.

Dwarven Defender Attack 20
    Keystone Collapse

Your strike hammers your foe and causes him to flail about, toppling nearby adversaries in the confusion.
    Daily Martial, Weapon
    Standard Action Melee weapon
    Target: One creature
    Attack: Strength vs. AC
    Hit: 4[W] + Strength modifier damage, and you push enemies adjacent to the target 1 square and knock them prone.
    Weapon: If you?re wielding an axe, a hammer, or a pick, the attack deals extra damage equal to your Constitution modifier.
    Miss: Half damage, and you push enemies adjacent to the target 1 square.
    I'm truly shocked how many half-elf fans there are. Of all the races half-elf is the one I played the absolute least. I think the last time I actually made a half-elf character was for Baldur's Gate since fighter/mage/thief classes were oh pee.

Personally I always tend to start off with an elf, typically a ranger, and move on to a dwarven fighter and ultimately a human or elf wizard. After that point I tend to just go with RP heavy characters which I'll enjoy RPing with more than playing with.

Just to spit upon 3e monks I made a monk named Fluffy who only wore pink. He was godmode and therefore could be as flamboyant as possible and still be a bad <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> person hahaha.
    Another character I enjoyed playing was a dwarven fighter or barbarian who dressed in absurd get-ups and called any person he met "George!" In PnP the DM has to of course act disgusted which is fun but when playing NWN it was a blast to find people who have never met me before and see their "WTF?" reaction to some drooling dwarf running up, giving them a hug and crying that he's finally found George again.

In the end what I play first starts off with a couple of tankier classes to get me built up followed by a wizard or some other "squish" class after I am settled in. After than anything is game.

I love my half elf bard Vanris! And since bard competes with monk on my no 2 favorite class, that says something! Half elves rock with the right class choice!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • joeyvallesjoeyvalles Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I've always liked a combination of magic and melee. Since they don't have a dedicated class for it like Sword Mage or something like that I will probably do a Human Cleric/Fighter. I remember in NWN that I made a really good Cleric/Fighter combination that did good in a sword fight and had all the spells that a cleric could have. You gotta plan it out though because if you mess up one level then you could miss out on a really good fighter feat or not have enough Charisma to have those last powerful level 9 spells. If you do do it good though it is awesome because you get the best of both worlds, without some of the limitations.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    I'll bypass the other replies on this and simply say Dwarf is tank or defender or whatever you want to call them, hands down. They are a rock! (Not to be confused with the literal rock of the Goliath of course :) )

Case in point, Dwarven Defender:

I love my half elf bard Vanris! And since bard competes with monk on my no 2 favorite class, that says something! Half elves rock with the right class choice!

As I said, "Sure, some races have pros that help one to "tank" but ultimately, if your not a "tank" class, race doesn't matter."

I still stand by this statement, which the Dwarven Defender that you mention is a prime example of this.
    Just like a Human Paladin can be a glorious tank, or an elven one, or even a gnome one. It all, even more-so in 4e, boils down to your Class, Feats, and Attributes. Then there a plethora of Paragon Paths to add more depth, as you inadvertently pointed out with the Dwarven Defender. There is less emphasis on race, from my view-point, than there is on Classes, Feats, and Paragon Paths.
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I have a drow wizard I've role played in the original Neverwinter Nights from basically the beginning. I carried her over to Neverwinter Nights 2 and am anticipating bringing her over to Neverwinter. At this point we're talking about a character I've been developing and iterating on for eight-ish years, with a lifespan that makes her usable in all three games. There's richness of history behind this character that I'm really hoping Neverwinter allows me to bring out to share.
    edited September 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    Just like a Human Paladin can be a glorious tank, or an elven one, or even a gnome one.

Sir Maximus minimus committed suicide after reading that part.

hehe, but seriously, I agree with zeb. I think I did comment on it a while back how players should outgrow tanking mentality and start using strategies because monster AI has advanced.

Also, I don't see any use of tank in active combat MMO but defender instead. Raiderz game, for example, because of active combat - putting all aggro on one person is not practically possible. So the role of defender is as a defender instead of tank. All others dodge when attacks come their way.
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    So racials are equal to 0 ? Is that what you are saying ?
  • qumi0qumi0 Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I take elf or tiefling, any arcane class except bard :P
    edited September 2012
    qumi0 wrote: »
    I take elf or tiefling, any arcane class except bard :P

Bards can be very very powerful in many ways. Here for example, is a one bard who can... well its better left to be seen.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Bards can be very very powerful in many ways. Here for example, is a one bard who can... well its better left to be seen.

"Do you have a mirror in your pants? Because I can see myself in them!"

Apparently even "Glib" bards can't fix the pick-up lines.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • surf13surf13 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    On a side-note the most effecivte healbot in PnP 4e is a Bard (or at least was for a long time).
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm going to have to disagree with you, I'm afraid. My experience puts the 4E cleric as the undefeated champion when it comes to healing.

However, the bard and other leader classes have some interesting "heal, then get this..." mechanics that are worth giving honorable mention.
    edited September 2012
    Duuuuhhh! Please forgive my epic brainfart.

Pacifist Healer (a Cleric build) is, of course, the hands-down best healer in the game.

I was thinking of a novelty Bard healing build that abuses the Bard's M/C prowess to take all the healing powers in the game :D
    edited September 2012
    Well, let's be honest. There's really no "bad" healers in 4E D&D, even with as many as there are. I wouldn't call it perfect, but that's certainly one of it's strengths.
    edited September 2012
    True, true. Mind you many 3.x aficionados hate 4e's level playing field...
    edited September 2012
    Well, that's a whole other can o' worms, my friend. And a very sticky one at that.
    edited September 2012
    Indeed. I have seen my share of the 3.x/4e edition wars, I can assure you... Much as I have tried to avoid them.
    edited September 2012
    Haha, just because it's somewhat related to that warring and also to this thread's topic, I want to play a dhampyr pixie hybrid paladin/seeker with a spellscar and a holy avenger!

Hornet's nest, consider yourself officially kicked. :P
    edited September 2012
    On of my players' backup character. For when, you know, I kill him :D
    Zombie-Ghost-WereWolf-Vampire-Robot-Ninja-Pirate, level 6
    Revenant, Assassin|Rogue
    Hybrid Assassin: Hybrid Assassin Fortitude
    Hybrid Talent: Guild Training (Hybrid)
    Guild Training (Hybrid): Night Stalker (Hybrid)
    Blood Drain: Blood Drain Dexterity
    Choose your Race in Life: Warforged
    Background: Luskan (Luskan Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 8, Con 15, Dex 18, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 8, Con 15, Dex 15, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 15.

AC: 19 Fort: 17 Reflex: 20 Will: 18
    HP: 46 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
    Thievery +13, Streetwise +12, Stealth +13, Intimidate +16, Bluff +12, Acrobatics +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +3, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +7, Heal +3, History +3, Insight +3, Nature +3, Perception +3, Religion +3, Athletics +2

FEATS
    Level 1: Vampiric Heritage
    Level 2: Ki Focus Expertise
    Level 4: Hybrid Talent
    Level 6: Brutal Shroud

POWERS
    Hybrid at-will 1: Clever Strike
    Hybrid at-will 1: Shadow Storm
    Hybrid encounter 1: Gloom Thief
    Hybrid daily 1: Grave Spike
    Hybrid utility 2: Wolf's Vitality
    Hybrid encounter 3: Darting Strike
    Hybrid daily 5: Bloodbath
    Hybrid utility 6: Swift Parry

ITEMS
    Devastating Ki Focus +1, Short sword, Scimitar, Horn Tusk Hide Armor +1, Wintersnap Hide Armor +1, Bracers of Mighty Striking (heroic tier), Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier), Rhythm Blade Rapier +1, Master's Blade Rapier +1, Lifestealer Rapier +1, Rhythm Blade Short sword +1, Bloodthread Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ^^^ too funny Surf13!

I will hold off until I know what races/classes we'll have, but if possible I'd play a Half-Orc Warrior, with some cleric death magic tossed in. I'd love to figure out how to make a Shadow Knight (EQ) type character, and with a more monstrous race, but I don't think they are going there with the game.

Ogre Magi Fallen Paladin maybe?
  • aspadedaceaspadedace Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Probably a tiefling rogue
    edited September 2012
    aavarius wrote: »
    Haha, just because it's somewhat related to that warring and also to this thread's topic, I want to play a dhampyr pixie hybrid paladin/seeker with a spellscar and a holy avenger!

Hornet's nest, consider yourself officially kicked. :P

There is something very very wrong when I have done 75% of that in one character already.
    surf13 wrote: »
    On of my players' backup character. For when, you know, I kill him :D

Did he start as a teenage mutant with a shell...I mean shield?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    ^^^ too funny Surf13!

I will hold off until I know what races/classes we'll have, but if possible I'd play a Half-Orc Warrior, with some cleric death magic tossed in. I'd love to figure out how to make a Shadow Knight (EQ) type character, and with a more monstrous race, but I don't think they are going there with the game.

Ogre Magi Fallen Paladin maybe?
    Glad you liked it :D He seem to be quite serious about that tho LOL! More below...
    There is something very very wrong when I have done 75% of that in one character already.

Did he start as a teenage mutant with a shell...I mean shield?

Hehe! Actually, he's currently a TWF (axe) Bugbear Ranger who is mute and expresses himself through sign language and interpretive dance.
    edited September 2012
    Glad you liked it :D He seem to be quite serious about that tho LOL! More below...

Hehe! Actually, he's currently a TWF (axe) Bugbear Ranger who is mute and expresses himself through sign language and interpretive dance.

Dance of death also? If so, make that 80%
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sanosukecigarasanosukecigara Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Tiefling and most likely be a Ranger. If they allow cross classes *i.e once you reach say 10 in one and you want to stop being a ranger and start learning to be a rogue* then I'll probably go 20 ranger, and if they have it in game, swashbuckler or Dervish.
    edited September 2012
    Dance of death also? If so, make that 80%
    Sounds like you know the guy...
    Tiefling and most likely be a Ranger. If they allow cross classes *i.e once you reach say 10 in one and you want to stop being a ranger and start learning to be a rogue* then I'll probably go 20 ranger, and if they have it in game, swashbuckler or Dervish.
    4e doesn't quite work that way. There are hybrids tho, which hopefully NWO will have. You get to be half of two classes :D
    edited September 2012
    Sounds like you know the guy...

4e doesn't quite work that way. There are hybrids tho, which hopefully NWO will have. You get to be half of two classes :D

And also multi-class which allows a small part of another class with powers that can optionally be swapped for additional feats and retraining. Or both Hybrid/multi-class.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    aavarius wrote: »

That is great!!! You can be sixth member of a 5 member party who can suck blood off enemies by the grace of a deity - all while saying "I am not a monster"! Excellent! I want you in my pocket... I mean party.