test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Biography and Physical description - please check it Stormshade

qumi0qumi0 Member Posts: 154 Arc User
edited September 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
In both Baldurs Gate series and Neverwinter Nights series, besides choosing a class, race, feats, etc. you also wrote a short biography of your character. This was always increasing immersion in the game for me. And it should be even more important in MMO. I hope that biographies are still there?

Also, besides biographies I would suggest description. In a server I played Neverwinter, in the place of biography (the real biography was on the forum) we had a description field. Mannerisms, physical descriptions - all of it was there so that characters you meet could read it by right-clicking on you. For example:

"His hazel eyes are sharp and focused, albeit slightly obstructed by long dark hair that fall in every possible direction. His walk is steady, but graceful and yet if looked closely it feels a bit tense. There is also a shallow scar on his forehead, almost always hidden behind his hair. When he walks you can hear an echoing, empty sound of dried, miniature goblin heads bouncing by his belt."
Post edited by qumi0 on

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    No reason to believe it won't be there. Even combat games these days have description tab on character sheets which can be seen when examining details.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I think this is an excellent idea anything to lend immersion to the game.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    All Cryptic games have had a Biography tab or section. I see no reason this would stop, and also support the customization of a D&D-themed description setup and/or additional area.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    qumi0 wrote: »
    In both Baldurs Gate series and Neverwinter Nights series, besides choosing a class, race, feats, etc. you also wrote a short biography of your character. This was always increasing immersion in the game for me. And it should be even more important in MMO. I hope that biographies are still there?

Also, besides biographies I would suggest description. In a server I played Neverwinter, in the place of biography (the real biography was on the forum) we had a description field. Mannerisms, physical descriptions - all of it was there so that characters you meet could read it by right-clicking on you. For example:

"His hazel eyes are sharp and focused, albeit slightly obstructed by long dark hair that fall in every possible direction. His walk is steady, but graceful and yet if looked closely it feels a bit tense. There is also a shallow scar on his forehead, almost always hidden behind his hair. When he walks you can hear an echoing, empty sound of dried, miniature goblin heads bouncing by his belt."
    gillrmn wrote: »
    No reason to believe it won't be there. Even combat games these days have description tab on character sheets which can be seen when examining details.
    I think this is an excellent idea anything to lend immersion to the game.
    All Cryptic games have had a Biography tab or section. I see no reason this would stop, and also support the customization of a D&D-themed description setup and/or additional area.

I concur! Indeed. I have always enjoyed this in games, both single player and MMO alike.
  • raelishraelish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

yep dont see why they would remove it for a game with such heavy RP potential.
  • vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    BIOGRAPHY!

Even better is if you could develop relationships with NPC's that can then be referenced in your biography.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    vangald wrote: »
    BIOGRAPHY!

Even better is if you could develop relationships with NPC's that can then be referenced in your biography.

I was actually talking about this in a previous post on dynamic game play, in the GW2 video Ree Soesbee talks about how people remember what you have done and how you are the hero (but personally I'm sick of being the hero or resurrected god..I'd much rather just be an adventurer) The reality is the vending machine NPC's stand around like the do in every other MMO and give scripted comments after you run X maze and receive your cheese.

What would be more dynamic is depending on your personal variables in conjunction with where you have explored who you have met emergent events (or adventures) could or could not happen to you. The last developer I consulted for was actually working on this and I have heard Blizzard is as well for there next MMO project so it is quite doable.

Would I love to see this in Neverwinter? You betcha. Will it happen? Not likely.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    BIOGRAPHY!

Yes. And it would be nice if it is automatic. Maybe an automatic blog entry on the player's page in game website.

Something like that will be cool.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    BIOGRAPHY!

I was actually talking about this in a previous post on dynamic game play, in the GW2 video Ree Soesbee talks about how people remember what you have done and how you are the hero (but personally I'm sick of being the hero or resurrected god..I'd much rather just be an adventurer) The reality is the vending machine NPC's stand around like the do in every other MMO and give scripted comments after you run X maze and receive your cheese.

What would be more dynamic is depending on your personal variables in conjunction with where you have explored who you have met emergent events (or adventures) could or could not happen to you. The last developer I consulted for was actually working on this and I have heard Blizzard is as well for there next MMO project so it is quite doable.

Would I love to see this in Neverwinter? You betcha. Will it happen? Not likely.
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Yes. And it would be nice if it is automatic. Maybe an automatic blog entry on the player's page in game website.

Something like that will be cool.

I too would like it if in a way similar to how the Elder Scrolls generates your character and "factionalizes" your race and background it affects how your introductions go. Sterotypes in action based on appearance plus action.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]