test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I'd like to continue: An open letter to Neverwinter's Community

iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Dear Neverwinter Community:

While it was never my intention to be cut off from this community for so long, I have regained access and have decided to consider returning to Neverwinter.

I'll choose my words on what happened with care. I am trying to make sure I both handle proprietary issues as well as be diplomatic about it and not potentially burn bridges with those running things here. That written, I'll simply be as honest as I can what happened and let others decide their opinion on this without making my personal judgment on this here.

Long story short, I had a beta key entered and then lost forum access the next day on June 25th 2012. I sent a trouble ticket, but due to me also suffering from the redirect loop, I had no way to view or even update the ticket.

The support forums said that only the community manager could resolve this and a brief reply from an email for the ticket sent said I was not ?banned? in any way.

Two days after my locked out (and read only) forum access, I also was redirected forum wise to a place I cannot talk about here, but did not have any access to the beta game itself. If you ever had asked "friends and family" about early beta access on this or other developed games, then you understand (before this update then, I was not personally familiar with most details of this "support.") If you do not, I cannot and will not elaborate. (Please do not speak further about me detailing any "friends and family" on the forums and I must leave it at that.)

From June 27, th to August 6th, I had not received any updates whatsoever and (due to the redirect loop) this includes the replying to the email ticket I could only do (besides going to the support page I could not even log into due to the redirect loop issue and choose one of ?Contact Customer Support?? s links) while not even logged in.

So, after watching unable to do anything (neither post not play here) for several weeks, it was just too painful to not be able to do anything at all and I took a break from watching. This included supporting guilds and groups outside NW, since I did not know what was even the cause and details shared might have infringed on the thing I cannot mention I described above. And then after all this, my access was restored on August 6th.

I finally got a response from Stormshade on 8/6/2012 saying he was under the impression I was being helped by the Customer Support team but had not seen any posts since late July. While technically that was true, I could only post where I cannot speak of and had not received any feedback on this for weeks. So pretty much, I was cut off from almost everybody for over forty days. But now my access was restored. I didn't even see this email until the 8th, since I hadn't expected any replies "soon" after all this happened to me for this long.

Then when I should have had a few days to decide to return or not going through all that, the extreme heat wave hit my area of Los Angeles. As in 102-112 degree heat every consecutive day for two weeks (before factoring humidity which was like Georgia?s) and my ac failed.

This and me unemployed meant I could not afford a hotel and all my friends and family were looking for work and in tiny spaces with no spare rooms (and I ended up crashing on somebody?s couch for this time.) I had no gaming or personal computer access then (my computer is a desktop.)
I did finally get help and financial support and have purchased a personal air conditioner, as well as the heat wave breaking this last Monday Evening (only in the high eighties to low nineties with low humidity.)
So, one of these was bad enough, but two really took me out of the community here for a long time.
But what it did do was give me to think and reflect.

While I?m not here to judge or demand, I simply ask if you were in my shoes and experienced all this, how would you feel and what would you do?

After all this time, I decided to follow the tenants of forgiveness, second chances and (of course) accepting the apology given to me by Stormshade. While what I went through was very bad, and felt (personally speaking) neglectful even if unintentional, there are many worse things that could have happened to me both in gaming and in the real life outside of it.

But I do ask what can be done to make sure something like this will not happen again? Especially what to do to people like us who can?t even log into the PW Support site (support.perfectworld.com) and make/read/update tickets?

Secondly, there comes the question I have to be brave enough to ask, to all the people here (subscribing members, staff community support, moderators, etc.): Am I still wanted here?

While I tried to always give my support and feedback to the community I cannot say if it is currently welcomed again or not; only you can.

I?m grateful to the community at large for the time I have had with it, I just want to make sure I?m still supported by members and staff alike. I?d be honored to continue the work I have been doing (including picking up the FAQ again with all of your assistance to help me catch up) as well as considering offering my application as a volunteer moderator (thank you gamers also for the emails on this now I once again can access them) and still offering my support as a potential Beta testing/marketing member as the Developers/Community Support sees fit.
That is if you still want me. What I went through really can?t be detailed here with the right words describing it (well, without me risking few TOS violations if the filter didn?t stop the words first :D) but at this time, if I am to return, I?m asking for your support to help me do so.

So, would you like me back?

I do hope the answer is yes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by iamtruthseeker on

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    First of all, Welcome back friend. You were really missed here.

And as I have said before, the forum website and community being formed here needs better treatment.

Please devs, look into it that these bad experiences don't discourage us from something we are fan of.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Welcome back, truth. I hope the issues you've had get a resolution.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well truth I'll just address the part about being welcome...of course you are welcome, you have been an invaluable member of this community and was greatly missed...heck you were all but drafted by many of us to be a Volunteer moderator.

I can't discuss the account issues other than to say I'm truly sorry that happened to you, and doubly sorry for the personal strife you have been through lately, but at the end of the day, this community is better with you than without.

I hope you take that into consideration before making a final decision.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for the first posts of support so far. Since you're reading me, yes the "access" issues regarding the forum have been resolved. As for Beta Access, that is not the case but I do hope I will get it one day. As for the "almost drafted," thank you! I'll post my interest, but not sure how I'm supposed to submit a ticket correctly due to the "redirect loop" if I do. I'll post details on that thread if I need to.

Again, thanks for those initial posts of welcome support.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ... first posts of support so far. ....

hehe, its going to be the next big news on forums that truth is back. I guess that itself would be the talk of community for a while!

Its good to see you applying for the mod and still willing to update FAQs. I salute your forgiving heart. To tell the truth, after reading this and knowing your patience, I can read much to it. So I don't think I could have been that patient when in your shoes. Also, I am sure that technicalities of application process would not hamper your application in anyway, because even if it was unintentional, it was their fault anyways.

Btw, check out new videos. Some of them are actually quite nice. Especially the last one post regarding foundry.
  • qumi0qumi0 Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I would be annoyed. However, I would think that it probably was a misunderstanding since malice would be weird here.

Anyway, yeah - welcome back. Always nice to have somebody more to argue...ekhem... discuss ;)
  • hazrothhazroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 50
    edited August 2012
    Well of course you're wanted truth! We don't just abandon people because they've been absent or through hard times. :) Welcome back, I hope you find plenty of things to contribute to and keep busy with.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    qumi0 wrote: »
    I would be annoyed. However, I would think that it probably was a misunderstanding since malice would be weird here.

Anyway, yeah - welcome back. Always nice to have somebody more to argue...ekhem... discuss ;)

What do you mean? I never argued with you! Wait...I just.....

*Facepalm*

You win this one qumi0, nicely played b:laugh

Seriously, nice to be able to be back and posting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Welcome back.

I'm truly sad to hear that you have had such a rough time. I'm not entirely sure how to word my response to such issues in a more civilized way due to the obvious complexity of the issues that you seem to go through so bear with the somewhat blunt bullets I am reduced to.

-You didn't choose to leave, so why would anybody hold it against you? It's good that you got back on your feet!

-Cryptic made exceptions for you initially to aid in this situation. I'd be honored to have been given such treatment as it's not something that would be lightly given.

-It's a shame you had a rough time with the customer support but let's hope it illuminates some issues that Cryptic can improve upon. I'd personally take the optimistic view that at it's better somebody who was truly cared for and respected by the community at large had these issues because they care enough to point out the problem rather than simply walk away.

I hope you can find it in yourself to continue to be a part of the community you have been gone from for so long. You're ever welcome.
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Sounds like you got to be a victim of Murphy's Law. I'm not sure why that would result in you wearing out your welcome, so as far as I'm concerned, welcome back. I thought you had just gotten busy or something. Sorry you had so much trouble. We're still as argumentative here as ever, so you should feel right at home :P
  • thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    I cast MAGIC MISSILE! HEHEHEHEHE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
    Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
  • nimlohnimloh Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    Many of us have wondered where you went. It's safe to say were glad you're back.
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well, well, well... look who the wind blew in :)

I'd say that makes this a real fine day.

Thank you Truth for persevering. It's sad what you've gone through, but I'm so happy you decided to peek back in.

Now, we aint lettin' you go away again brother, so get the hell back in here and have some fun with us again!! :)

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • nimlohnimloh Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    * Casts Restoration on iamtruthseeker *

Negative levels restored.
  • bubbabinskybubbabinsky Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 161 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    You are most certainly welcomed back. I've only been on this forum a few times, and right away, when the moderator applications thread came by, I immediately thought "Wow, I hope thruthseeker comes back in time".

The events you described may have had a negative impact on you, but I can assure you, none of the actions you took offended the community as a whole, and nothing mentioned above would lead us to thinking that you should no longer be here.

As for my opinion on the whole thing, I think PWE has a lot on their hands at the moment, and if they didn't know the about the issue, they can't fix it. I know CS has a direct email (can't think of it now), but if you are to find yourself in a situation like this in the future, try directly emailing them. I, too, can contact PWE via the RaiderZ CM, so if you can contact me I'd be willing to help if it were an emergency.

I'd be passive about the issue, to say the most. It sounds like you had a hard few weeks, but in time the whole deal will seem like nothing, especially if you apply for mod and get accepted.

Hope my input helps!
  • tuukkasalonentuukkasalonen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Welcome back Truthseeker! Glad to have you back.
    I am inactive and I know it
  • kullskakullska Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Welcome back Truth. We all missed you here. If you need any assistance at all don't hesitate to ask. There are many who would bend over backwards to help you. Myself included!

Just don't ask me to give up my last beer....not going to happen.
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    Welcome back Truth! As everyone has mentioned already your more than welcomed to come back, hell **** happens so why be so judgmental upon yourself?

Having been following Neverwinter and engaged discussions with you since the very inception of the game since... what summer of '10? You have always demonstrated a clear unbiased cool head on these forums. Which I can't say applies to majority of the active people here myself included as little drama has sprung up already here n there. You are one of the very few I would say is a spotlight community member if not the only one and are one of the few that I take serious considerations in whatever you post. While it would be great for you to be a volunteer mod but RL comes first if you decide if it's too time consuming and you certainly have a fill plate already.

Welcome back and best of luck with the RL issues.

P.S. If you become a tester I would hope that you test the game and not diddle dally modding these forums since really it's just Cryptic pushing off onto their fans some BS work. Anyone can mod these forums while a quality tester is hard to come by.

P.P.S. Curious though, how did you get your key if your at liberty to divulge? Don't recall you attending any of the conventions and TLII haven't sent their beta keys out yet I would think.
  • steelebutterflysteelebutterfly Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Good to see you back! I would encourage you to apply for a Moderator position -- on the basis of the work on the FAQ if nothing else! (Of course, there is much else to base it on, too.)
    edited August 2012
    Good to see you back! I would encourage you to apply for a Moderator position -- on the basis of the work on the FAQ if nothing else! (Of course, there is much else to base it on, too.)

Thank you and to everybody else who encouraged me to apply as I did. I have submitted an application for Moderator, but that lovely redirect loop may cause questions if it got through OK or not. Hopefully the info now got there after I sent a direct mail regarding the ticket made (just in case.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    Thank you and to everybody else who encouraged me to apply as I did. I have submitted an application for Moderator, but that lovely redirect loop may cause questions if it got through OK or not. Hopefully the info now got there after I sent a direct mail regarding the ticket made (just in case.)

Sorry Bruv, missed this, welcomed you back in another thread. You Instill a Neutral unbiased opinion, on pretty much everthing that goes on here, and you are a fantastic spokesperson for our community. As sugested by Storm, some of us have already nominated you for forum mod position, but As Dot has suggested, id rather see you in the Dev part of the game, so that you can carry our likes. concerns, and suggestions over to that side of the game as well if that was offered to you, so roll wisdom check wisely.

BIG

welcome back! as already seen, you have not wasted any time on updating your sticky, you are a hard worker thats for sure.
    edited August 2012
    ryvvik wrote: »
    Sorry Bruv, missed this, welcomed you back in another thread. You Instill a Neutral unbiased opinion, on pretty much everthing that goes on here, and you are a fantastic spokesperson for our community. As sugested by Storm, some of us have already nominated you for forum mod position, but As Dot has suggested, id rather see you in the Dev part of the game, so that you can carry our likes. concerns, and suggestions over to that side of the game as well if that was offered to you, so roll wisdom check wisely.

BIG

welcome back! as already seen, you have not wasted any time on updating your sticky, you are a hard worker thats for sure.

Always a pleasure to get support like this. As for developer/PR spots, that's a paid position and it would (likely) require me to be in the Cryptic location (and I live in Southern California they are in Los Gatos or close to Central California....about 320 miles away.)

But let's focus on one (potential volunteer) position at a time. Should I ever get an opportunity for other things though, I'll look at it then and we all can talk about it when we can. No chicken counting before they are hatched at the moment, but hoping for the best like the rest of you so thanks to you and everybody once again!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Welcome back Truth !

Edit: I would like to see you as mod in these forums too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I too am glad Truth is back, you are and have been an informative and important community member.

As I have posted in the past I fully back you becoming a mod for the community as it will only benefit this community from your attention to detail and passion for this game and community!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]