test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cartography Junkie: Maps of the Realms (any edition)

2»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2011
    For those interested:
    Here's the map at 50% zoom. The quality tapers off noticeably as the coastline appears uniform. However, I thought it might be interesting to share more of my process in creating such a large map. The details on the spine of the world need to be fixed but I like where Anauroch is headed.
    edited October 2011
    The real difficulty is in adding the text for every single major city across Faerun. I'm chunking it into sections and realize that it's incompatible with 4e's reboot.

I think I might mail a copy to the dev team when I'm finished. :)

I hope they're as wowed as we are so far!

I wonder if I may ask a noobish question: why use a PSB here instead of a PSD? Are there advantages?
    edited October 2011
    Greetings Darren,

Good work on the maps my friend, I also have a little interest in maps. Enough so to have this fine piece of work finished and displayed up on my wall.

P.S. Your signature link is broken.
    edited October 2011
    Pittskrieg wrote:
    I hope they're as wowed as we are so far!

I wonder if I may ask a noobish question: why use a PSB here instead of a PSD? Are there advantages?
    PSD's have a max filesize.

The PSD file format is 32-bit and can only use up to 4 GB. My files are over that limit, which is where the 64-bit PSB file sizes come into play.

There are dozens of layers, each of them just as big as the one beneath it: each coloring effect is its own layer, as well as multiple layers for the depth map (hills and mountains have separate ones) and oceans.

It's a complex process. The hardest part was tidying up the coastlines (which use layer blending effects for the whitecaps and beaches).
    Alecto wrote: »
    Greetings Darren,

Good work on the maps my friend, I also have a little interest in maps. Enough so to have this fine piece of work finished and displayed up on my wall.

P.S. Your signature link is broken.

Fixed the link in my signature--they updated the forum software.