test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Inquisitor! Chapter 1

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2011 in Art and Fiction
The ground erupted all around Cristoph as the fiery rain fell. He raised his shield to block the worst of it but was still singed. Ahead he saw his foe, the one responsible for the hell-born rain. The one responsible for the death of so many of his friends. The one he called brother not so long ago. Arkaus.

It took Cristoph more than three months to track him down. All the while trying not to believe the reports that he had read. The horrors he had seen. The hundreds slaughtered by this man he called brother. But there was no more denying the fact that Arkaus had become what Cristoph had sworn to destroy. Arkaus had become a minion of the foul Szass Tam!

Brother Sunclair went down with the initial attack, crushed by the meteor that birthed the demon that tore Brother Kote to pieces. Brothers Polaars and Remmington attacked the abomination as one. Polaars using a huge hammer smashed its right arm, while Remmington destroyed its left leg with a blow from his mighty sword. Cristoph, holding the monstrous demon's attacks at bay, was able to deliver the final blow, severing the link that held it to this realm. But not before it stuck Remmington in the chest with a mighty blow that blasted him from this world.

Cristoph and Brother Sunclair stood side by side before the Balor. Arkaus had not been idle while his Abshai had battled with the Inquisitor and his lackeys. He had summoned his most powerful minion. The Balor was feared by many. And rightfully so. With a mighty Axe and it's demonic skills at arms it could cleave through almost any foe that stood in its way.

Brother Sunclair charged! The fiend responded with a charge of his own. Cristoph tried to stop Brother Sunclair but the demon was to swift. It struck Brother Sunclair in the chest with a devastating blow from its Axe that rended his armor as if it were no more than parchment, sending him flying to land on his back may lengths away. Cristoph rushed to try to get to him, but the Balor had other intentions for Cristoph's time. Seeing the Inquisitor's back the demon attacked! Cristoph's armor took the brunt of the damage but not all and he fell to his knees at Brother Sunclair's side.

"You must st.. stop thi.. this Inq.. Inq.. Inquisitor. Arkaus... must.. pay.." said Brother Sunclair hanging to the last shred of life he had. "To you... I give.. my last br.. bre... breath..." And with that Brother Sunclair bestowed the last of life upon Cristoph.

The Balor attacked, swinging its massive Axe, but Cristoph was ready this time. He had taken the first hit and now knew what to expect. Raising his shield he blocked the blow, but the impact staggered him and cracked his shield. He knew he couldn't use it like that again. The demon swung again and Cristoph parried it with his sword. The sword shattered.

With no weapon left but his faith, Cristoph released his wrath upon the demon! "Back to hell with you abomination!" Cristoph yelled as he released the power allowed him by years of study and meditation. The blast took the demon square in the chest and sent it back to the depths of hell where it was born.

Injured and bleeding, Cristoph turned to see Arkaus casting. The ground erupted all around Cristoph as a fiery rain fell. He raised his shield and fell to one knee to block the worst of it but was still singed. Cristoph's shield, cracked from blocking the Balor's attack almost came apart then, but held just long enough. The rain stopped and Cristoph used the last weapon he had. His shield flew from his hand, flying true it took Arkaus by surprise, knocking him to the ground and severing his left arm.

Looking down Cristoph saw the Axe that the Balor had used. Somewhat confused because he had never seen a demon leave it's weapon behind when sent back to hell, Cristoph bent and took it up, knowing that he needed something with-witch to defend himself. As his hand touched the hilt he felt an odd feeling, rage. And not the holy rage he knew but a lust for battle. Cristoph walked over to Arkaus and asked him the only question he was able to voice. "Why?"

Laughing Arkaus responded "Why? For you of course! You were the only one that my master felt could upset his plans, so he sent me to give you a gift that would make you less of a threat! You see, that Axe you have is no normal Demon's Axe." said Arkaus. "It was made just for you. You and your over developed sense of control." Arkaus, coughing up blood said "You see, that weapon will now have control over you. You will never know when it will take over, and you won't be able to stop it when it does!" Laughing Arkaus continued "So you see, even though you may have won this fight I will win the next. Because I'll wait for you to loose control and then I will take you down. So take me back to the Order so they can discuss what to do with one of their own that saw the truth."

Cristoph's eyes glazed over. He felt the blood lust, and welcomed it! The Axe moved as if on it's own. Up over his head it flew. And with one swing he brought it down and removed Arkaus's head from his shoulders.

Dazed and bleeding, Inquisitor Cristoph Deathwalker stumbled off into the night......
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2011
    He awoke in a dimly lit room, the smell of earth all around. Voices drifted in from another room. "How is our guest?" a male voice asked. "Has he come to yet?

"Not yet. He was still sleeping last time I checked on him." said a female. She had the sound of one of the fey. An Elf then. He knew of them but had never met one, at least he couldn't remember meeting one. There seemed to be a lot of things he couldn't remember. Where he had come from. What he was supposed to be doing. How he had come to be in this dwelling being cared for by people he didn't know. All these things eluded him. What he could remember was flickering images of Blood and Fire. That, and his Axe.

Slowly he rose from the cot and searched around the small room for the axe that he couldn't remember ever being without. Finding it propped against the wall he picked it up. As his hand touched the hilt he felt the rage come upon him. But he fought it knowing that he needed to be calm for the trial ahead. It was time to get some answers and he wouldn't stop until he had them. As he approached the doorway to the other room he heard a third voice join the other two. "He was very near death's door when Aarya found him. It may take quite a while for him to recover." Added another female. Also an Elf but with the sound of a mother, unlike the first that sounded more akin to one who still hasn't had as many dealings with the cruelty that is the world.

All three turned as he entered what seemed to be the main room of the cottage. The urge to attack was strong but he needed answers and would not allow himself to ruin the only chance that he had to get them. "How are you friend?" asked the elder of the Elves. She had the look of a queen in her castle. But that was no less then he had expected from the stories he had heard of the Elves."Would you like something to eat or drink?" she inquired.

"No. I just want to know where I am and how I came to be here." he said fighting the urge to lift his axe and charge. It seemed the male, a human in Priestly garb, could tell that He was fighting to keep control. The younger of the Elves seemed to be able to sense it as well. "Where is this place? Tell me that and I'll be on my way." He said.

"Look friend, you still haven't fully recovered. And to tell the truth I wouldn't feel that I've done my duty by allowing you to leave until you have." the Priest said. "Let me start by introducing myself and my family. My name is Mesiah, this is my wife Gavinah, and her sister and my student Aarya. She was the one that found you and brought you back here. You were almost dead, but considering the scene I'm surprised you lived as long as you did."

"Why? What did you see?" he asked tightening his grip on the axe.

"You were surrounded by the corpses of more then a score the Fallen." said Aarya. "I thought for sure you had already died by the time I got there, but that was not fated it seems." she continued with a slight smile.

"Why did you save me?" he demanded. "I could have died a warriors death!"

"A warriors death? Spoken like a true Human!" replied Aarya with more venom then a viper. "If I had allowed you to die as you so desired then you would not have enjoyed the afterlife you would have found yourself in!" she finished.

"Enough Aarya!" demanded Gavinah. "Perhaps we should be sure we know who we are speaking to before we start making accusations." The rage was almost to much to hold back when she asked "Your name friend, what is it?"

"Deathwalker." he said with teeth clenched.

"As I suspected." said Mesiah. "Please remain calm, we're your friends here." Mesiah said seeing that Deathwalker was close to the edge. "We can help you work through this if you will allow us to."

"What are you saying Priest?" Deathwalker asked. "There is nothing to work through. I fight! Thats all I do!"

"But it hasn't always been that way has it?" Deathwalker spun around to the front entrance to see the man that spoke. Standing in the doorway was a dark haired man wearing the robes of someone who was well educated in the demonic arts. "You were once a man devoted to ridding the world of the demonic, were you not?" he said more then asked.

"Who the hell are you and how do you know anything about my past?" Deathwalker demanded, images flickering in and out of his memory. Images of things that he should know. Things he should remember. And things he would rather not. Scenes of him on a crusade to eradicate the demon hordes of the Scourge. And images of him laying waste to entire villages with axe in hand.

"My name is Mephesto. I studied at the same temple that you and others of your calling have." he said. "My studies took me in a slightly different direction then yours, though we shared the same goal. I knew you back before you became Inquisitor Cristoph." he continued. "And I knew Arkaus as well before he took the wrong path and caused so much pain."

With the utterance of that name all the memories of the past came crushing down on him. Everything that Arkaus had done up to the point that Cristoph had removed his head from his shoulders with the very axe he held now. Then what came after that? The death and destruction he himself had wrought with this same axe! So many killed in the name of nothing. Just to get Cristoph out of the way of someone he didn't even know!

"How long?" Cristoph asked staring at the axe in his blood stained hands.

"You have been gone a long time Inquisitor." Mephesto replied. "A very long time."

"Exactly how long? How long have I been slaughtering the innocent with this damned axe?" Cristoph demanded.

"Six years." said Gavinah.

"But you are not responsible for what happened while that weapon possessed you." Aarya put in. "You couldn't control it, so you can't be blamed."

"You are wrong Aarya, but I thank you. All of you for bringing me back." said Cristoph. "Now I must go talk to the leaders of my order, they may know what I can do to rid myself of this curse before it takes over again." Cristoph said brandishing the axe. "And they may also have some information on who or what started this. And where I can find them so I can make them pay for the injustice they wrought through my actions."

"You may not want to do that Inquisitor" said Mesiah. "You see, you have made quite a name for yourself and not in a good way. There are many that think your true nature came out and that the axe had nothing to do with it. There are those in the upper tiers that would see you hanged for what you did." he warned.

"How is it that you four know so much about me and this axe? How do you know so much about what happened?" demanded Cristoph looking around at the them.

"I came across the battlefield where you defeated Arkaus a few days after you had departed." Mephesto said remembering that day. "I was trying to catch him as well. He made a deal with the wrong side and for that I was sent to bring him back to the justice he deserved. But I was delayed by a day and wasn't able to catch up to the Inquisitor and his acolytes. I'm sorry, you call them Brothers." said Mephesto. "That delay cost you much more then it did me. I am sorry my friend, for the Brothers you lost as well as the hardships you've endured since then. But you must trust us on this. If you go to the order now it could turn out very bad."

"Then I shall find out. I must trust in my order and I will bring the axe as proof of my innocence." Cristoph assured them.

"That will do you no good." Mesiah countered. "Can't you feel it? Put the axe down and see if you feel any better, any more in control."

"He's right Inquisitor. The demon that had possessed the axe is no longer there. It's in you, and you can't go to the order that way." pleaded Aarya. "They would surely sense it the same as Mesiah and I do. and they would kill you on that alone."

Cristoph turned to Mephesto. "I need to do this. If I am to find out who set me up then I need to go to the order." he said. "But I will not go in the front door. I'll talk to an old friend of mine that should still be there. I thank you again for all your help. All of you." said Cristoph. "I will return when I find out more, for I may need more of your help if it is still offered."

"We will be here Cristoph." said Gavinah. "But if you are gone to long we will send someone to try to find you. An old friend of ours." she said smiling.

"Thank you." Cristoph said strapping the axe to his back and walking off down the small path in the woods that was the only way out of the forest. The only path that Gavinah allowed at that moment....
    edited August 2011
    The summoning chamber smelled of brimstone and sulfur as he stood waiting for the demon to materialize. The charred and desiccated corpses of the poor souls whose lives payed to bring the hell-borne fiend to this world lay piled in the corner. The village that supplied them now lay in ruins. No one had survived. He had seen to that personally. Taking the utmost pleasure in the screams of the dying as he drained the life from them for his own use. There was no better feeling then taking the life of another into ones-self. Watching the terror in their eyes as they feel the life being slowly drained from their pitiful shells.

The demon, fully formed, knelt before him. It's skin a shade of red so dark that it could be black. It had the wings of a bat, yet tattered to almost uselessness. The upper body of a strong man, lined with fur from shoulders to waist. It's head resembled that of a wolf with the horns of a ram and the lower body of a goat. “You summoned me master.” it hissed.

“Xaraxan, I have a task for you.” he said. “There is a Demon Hunter, an Inquisitor, that I would have you remove from my path. He has shown himself to be quite formidable in battle against your kind so you may need to enlist the services of the Bountyhunter. I sent for him. He should be here within the hour.” he continued. “You will take him and find this Inquisitor and destroy him. He goes by the name of Cristoph. He is heading to the city on the coast to speak with his superiors.” the master said. “Though he will learn nothing from them. They are mine now, but there are those that may take up arms in Cristoph's cause. And that I can not have at this point.” he finished.

The door to the summoning chamber opened and a man dressed in dark loose fitting clothes stepped in. He had the look of someone that lived in the shadows and preferred it that way. “You sent for me?” he asked eying the demon kneeling in front of the sorcerer.

“Yes, I have a task for you Bountyhunter. You will accompany my friend here to kill a man before he can become a problem.” the master replied pulling a small bag out of his sleeve. “This is part of the payment we discussed, you shall receive the rest upon proof of your success.” he finished.

The Bountyhunter eyed the bag. It seemed smaller then he felt it should be, but the task was simple enough for the pay that he had agreed to. “Fine, where is this walking corpse now? I have other things that I need to take care of, so the faster I do this the better for me if you catch my meaning.” he said.

The bag flew across the room to the Bountyhunter's waiting hands. “Do not fail me in this Bountyhunter. You would not like to be on the receiving end of my wrath!”

“What ever you say Kal'Varish. But you won't scare me with your threats and I never fail!” said the Bountyhunter.

A tendril of purest black snaked out from Kal'Varish's outstretched hand shooting past the Bountyhunter to a cage on the wall behind him. In the cage was a man in the tattered garb of an assassin. The tendril wrapped around him lifting him from the floor of his prison. “You... Plea.. Please Kal'Varish, I.... I.. I can still be of service to you.” he pleaded.

“Of course you can. Even those who fail can still be of use to me.” Kal'Varish replied drawing the life from the prisoner. The tendril expanded over the assassin like a mist over a swamp. Struggling as best he could, the assassin screamed as his soul was slowly siphoned from his body. His muscles atrophied and his struggles slowed. But it wasn't over yet. His eyes bulged and his mouth hung open, drool slipping down his chin. Then his back arched to the point of breaking as his eyes rolled back into his skull. Slowly his skin shrank over his bones as if he were a sick parody of wooden puppet. There were several cracking sounds as those bones gave way to the pressure being forced upon them. Smoke poured from the assassin's mouth and nose as the hell fire burned through his body. Then, with one last gurgling scream, he collapsed to the cell floor.

The black tendril slowly retracted back Kal'Varish's waiting hand. He held out his other hand and resting in his palm was a crystal of swirling black and red. “As you can see, those who disappoint me pay the final price. You will not fail me on this Bountyhunter, of that I am sure.” he said.

“N.. No.. No I won't. Like I sa.. said, I don't fail.” the Bountyhunter shakily replied. The image of the assassin's final agony at the front of his thoughts.....
    edited August 2011
    Blood splattered his face as the axe tore the life from the third man that was foolish enough to rush him. The first two tried to attack him from either side but discovered that that was not the best idea as his Axe cleaved through the neck of the first and continued around to take the second in the chest blasting the life from him as his shattered body flew half way across the tavern. The remaining combatants stood back and circled him. There were six of them, but Deathwalker knew that there was at least one other. The last one hadn't shown himself yet but Deathwalker knew that he would. He quickly looked around trying to spot the leader of this group of would-be killers and saw him. Standing on the stairs leading to the second floor was a man in dark leather armor. He had a pair of daggers strapped to his hips and a hood that completely obscured his face.

He realized he had let his guard down just as the sword bit into his side. Searing pain lashed through his body as he reached down with his left hand and grabbed the assailants sword hand crushing his fingers and tearing the sword from his side. He could feel his side getting wet from the blood as he came around with a vicious slash that removed his attackers arm at the shoulder. Dropping the arm he turned just in time to parry a swipe from the man to his left who had tried to get the drop on him as he dealt with the swordsman. Deathwalker's Axe came up and around digging into the mans chest and shattering his ribs.

The remaining four decided to attack all at once. Two came in from the front as the other two moved up behind him. As one they rushed. Deathwalker knew he needed to get more room or he would surely be taken down. He turned and rushed the two at his back. He knew it was a risk, the men that were in front of him would have the advantage of momentum, but the two behind would be surprised. He swung his Axe low and to the right, taking the man on that side in his right leg and sheering it off at the knee. As he fell screaming, Deathwalker shoulder rushed the man on the left knocking him to the floor and jumping over him. He spun back around as soon as his feet touched the ground and stomped down hard on the mans neck. Hearing and feeling a satisfying crunch he launched himself at the last two thugs.

The first raised his shield to try to slow the axeman, but it was to no avail. Deathwalker heaved his Axe up over his head and back down and around blasting the shield to splinters and sending the now shieldless assailant sprawling. The last thug swung his mace at Deathwalker's exposed side and connected. Deathwalker stumbled to the side but quickly regained his balance. Swinging his left hand out he grasped the shieldless attacker by the neck and swung him around, into the oncoming mace of the last fighter, catching it with the face of his human shield. The man's head exploded from the impact and the mace-wielder lost his grip on his weapon and it slid across the floor.

Dropping his gruesome shield, Deathwalker brought his Axe up over his head. Swinging viciously, he brought the Axe straight down on the thug's head cleaving it in half and continuing all the way to the middle of his chest. The thug collapsed in a heap at blood spattered feet of his killer.

Looking to the stairs, Deathwalker saw that the ring leader of this circus had left. The only way the hooded man could have gone was up, so he wouldn't get too far. Grabbing a tablecloth from the floor and ripping a length of it to bind the slash in his side, he moved to the stairs. Up he went, cautiously figuring that this one would have more fight then the last six he had dispatched.

He couldn't remember how he got here or how this fight had started but that didn't matter . What mattered now was finishing this. He was injured and for that the one responsible would pay. But first he needed to find him. Slowly Deathwalker climbed the stairs. Clearing the final step he saw a long hall with doors on either side. The leader must have gone into one of these.

Deathwalker moved to the first door and tested the latch. It swung open easily and he stepped in. the room was empty except for the bed and night stand that sat next to it. He walked back out into the hall and stepped to the second door. Again the door opened with no more then a push and the room was vacant just like the first. He repeated this for every room, trying to stay as alert and as quiet as he could. So when he had checked every room but the last he knew he had him cornered. There was no where else that the leader could be.

The door splintered under the blow of Deathwalker's Axe, and he rushed into the room ready to send the would-be assassin to the next world. Only to find the room empty, just as every other room had been. A searing pain lanced into Deathwalker's back. “You strong fighter types are all the same. You think that just because you fight face to face that everyone does. How pitiful is it that you never think to look above your heads? Death can come from many places, not just in front of you.” the assassin whispered to Deathwalker as he twisted the dagger. “I can't count the number of self-proclaimed warriors I have killed using that flaw to my advantage.” he continued. “And you know the best part? I don't even care why I was hired to kill you.” the Bountyhunter sneered.

Deathwalker dropped to one knee and pivoted tearing the dagger from his back. He came around with his other leg to sweep the Bountyhunter off of his feet, but with a backwards somersault, the assassin dodged. But that was what Deathwalker wanted. Up he came, back to his feet then into the air to grab the ceiling beam that his assailant had used to get behind him. Latching onto the beam with his right hand Deathwalker shot his left foot out strait into the Bountyhunter's jaw. Dropping back down, he leveled a swing with his Axe but the assassin dodged to the left just in time and the weapon hit the wall behind him, blasting a hole through the wall onto the ally beyond.

“You should just lay down and die. The poisons I use are lethal!” said the Bountyhunter. “you'll be dead and I'll be paid by the end of the day.”

Deathwalker lunged for him, but the Bountyhunter sidestepped to the left. Just where the axeman wanted him, lined up with the hole. Around came the Axe, swung one handed from behind, where he was holding it so the Bountyhunter wouldn't notice it till to late. The Axe cleaved into the Bountyhunter's chest with a loud crack and a spray of blood. The body flew out the hole and down to the ally three stories below smashing into the cobblestone street with a bone crunching impact.

He watched for a few minuets, then the world went black as the poison overtook him. Deathwalker fell to the floor. The last thing he thought he saw was a female cloaked in shadows coming in through the door that he had destroyed just a little while ago....
    edited August 2011
    The Bountyhunter eyed the desiccated corpse of the assassin. He didn't know what Kal'Varish had just done but he was sure he didn't want it done to him. The black tendril slowly retracted back to Kal'Varish's waiting hand. He held out his other hand and resting in his palm was a crystal of swirling black and red. “As you can see, those who disappoint me pay the final price. You will not fail me on this Bountyhunter, that I am sure of.”he said.

“N.. No.. No I won't. Like I sa.. said, I don't fail..” the Bountyhunter replied. “Where is this guy you want me to kill?” he ask trying to regain some of the confidence he had before Kal'Varish's demonstration.

Many had perished at the end of his blades. He had taken jobs to kill princes and beggers alike. No one was safe when the Bountyhunter came to call. Women and children were nothing more than gold to him, and he would spend them when required. Thus he had made his reputation as a ruthless, efficient, and lethal assassin. Not since he was a child living on the street had he felt fear. Many of his employers were quite intimidating. But never had he felt fear towards any that had payed him for his services. Contempt was all he ever felt. Until now.

“We shall discuss your destination momentarily. There is one more task I must preform, to ensure your success.” Kal'Varish said still holding the crystal. “Xaraxan, if you would please.” he said looking to the demon.

“Yes master.” Xaraxan replied rising from the floor. He turned and walked towards the door behind the Bountyhunter. With the speed that only a demon could demonstrate, he turned and grabbed the killer's arms from behind. His vice-like grip leaving the Bountyhunter no possibility for escape.

“What is this?” the Bountyhunter exclaimed trying futilely to wrench his arms free of the demon's grip.

“This is my insurance that you will return to me.” Kal'Varish replied bringing the crystal close to the Bountyhunter's chest. “You see, I've sent many an assassin after this Inquisitor and I realized, after a few decided to try to take my money and disappear, that I needed to take steps to keep that from happening.” he said drawing on the power stored in the crystal.

The Bountyhunter felt a tug at his chest that quickly escalated to a searing pain. The tug became a wrenching feeling that felt as if his chest were about to explode outward. He screamed as the pressure finally released as his soul exploded from his body to be absorbed into the crystal in Kal'Varish's outstretched hand.

“That did not have to be so painful, but I find that little reminders like that tend to keep my servants in line.” said Kal'Varish. “Now, lets talk about your target.” he finished as the demon released the Bountyhunter to fall gasping for breath....

The Bountyhunter opened his eyes. His chest hurt. And he was sore from head to toe. He didn't know how he got here, but he knew exactly where here was. He was back in Kal'Varish's keep. “Ahh, you are awake.” he heard from his right. He turned to see Kal'Varish, Xaraxan kneeling at his feet like some twisted nightmare of a dog. “I see your confused.” Kal'Varish said. “Allow me to help. You fought the Inquisitor and you lost. My pet here brought your body back to me and after repairing it,” Bountyhunter looked down to see that his chest was stitched back together like a child's rag doll, “I returned your soul.” said Kal'Varish, holding the now dull and lifeless crystal out for the Bountyhunter to see. “Now we shall see if you are truly worthy of a second chance.”

With a wave of his hand Kal'Varish produced a fire that floated in the air in front of the Bountyhunter. With but a word he sent it flying strait at the assassin's feet where it exploded into a small inferno engulfing him in the blink of an eye. Screaming, the Bountyhunter started slapping at the fire trying to put it out. But to no avail. His flesh bubbled as the flames burned ever hotter. His eyes exploded as the heat expanded the fluids in them. His jaw clenched and the tip of his tongue fell to the floor. His teeth shattered from the force he exerted as he fell to the floor of the cell gasping and ******.

Kal'Varish produced a small green crystal from his pocket and waved it over the Bountyhunter's charred and bleeding body. “You did well to survive that. Most die in the first few seconds.” he said. “On to the second trial.” he finished as the Bountyhunter's body regenerated completely from the fel magic in the green gem.....

Kal'Varish stood looking over his servant. He had lasted much longer than expected. It had taken several days and a score of trials to finally get him to this point. But he was now the perfect killing machine. This time there would be no failing. Because this time failure meant death. And not the easy death that he had experienced over the last few days. If the Bountyhunter failed this time he would truly know what suffering was before he expired.

His mind a chaos of fire and blood, his eyes wild, and blood dripping down the right side of his chin from where he had bitten his tongue again, the only thing the Bountyhunter's mind could focus on was the one responsible for his pain. The man that had caused him to step to the edge of oblivion and jump off only to be pulled back time and again. The one that would pay dearly for everything he had lost and would never have.

Inquisitor Cristoph Deathwalker.........
    edited August 2011
    “Perhaps we should go out to find him.”said Mesiah. “We still know to little about that Axe. We should not have allowed him to leave with it. And I would also like to know how Mephesto knew so much about that Axe and the Inquisitor. I find it strange that he should show up right after Aarya saved the Inquisitor's life.”

“Do you not trust Mephesto?” Aarya asked. “I'll admit that his timing was good, but that doesn't mean anything. If he had not shown up when he did we might have had to deal with Deathwalker instead of Cristoph. And that would have turned out bad no matter how it ended.” she finished.

“I don't know,” added Gavinah “but I do agree that we should find him. That weapon was very unsettling, and I would rather see it destroyed. But if the Axe was only the conduit and not possessed it's self as Mephesto says, then we need to be allowed to study it to see if there is any way we can save the Inquisitor.”

“All the more reason to find him as soon as we are able.” Mesiah replied. “There is also the report I received from my Order. It seems the Order of Inquisitors is being investigated for Heresy. This of course is because of Cristoph's actions when he was under the control of the Axe. I've tried to find out who is responsible for this inquest, but so far I've been unsuccessful.” he said shaking his head.

“I don't understand, aren't the Inquisition supposed to be the Demon Hunters? By the Lady, why would anyone think they would ally with the hell borne?” Aarya demanded.

“There are to many questions to be answered here. Gather anything you think you may need. We will leave at dawn.”Gavinah said. “I'll be back by first light.”

“You know he won't go.” Mesiah said to her.

“He will if he knows whats good for him. I'm tired of him sitting up there avoiding the world as if he's the only one to ever loose someone close.” replied Gavinah stepping out the front door.

Mesiah followed her outside. “Be careful love. He hasn't had any visitors in a long time and may not look kindly on you showing up out of nowhere.”

“Always husband.” she said as he embraced her. They shared a kiss then she stepped away. “First light. Make sure my sister is ready to travel.” she said as the air around her started to shimmer. Mesiah tried to watch, as he always did, but as always he could not focus on her as she went through the change. In seconds it was done and where once stood a proud beautiful Elvin woman now stood a sleek midnight blue wolf. With a soft growl she turned and bounded off into the night.....

For three hours she ran. Basking in the glory of the wild. This was what she lived for, her first love. Mesiah knew this and loved her for it. And for that she loved him all the more. But she couldn't think of that now, she had to focus on her mission. How to convince him that he should come down out of his self imposed exile?

Higher and higher she climbed into the mountain range that he had chosen for his home after he lost his beloved. But that had been over six years ago, it was time for him to come down from his seclusion. And Gavinah meant to see that he did!

Gavinah emerged from the woods surrounding the valley that he had built his dwelling. It was late and she was expecting the small cabin to be completely dark. So she was quite surprised to not only see that there were candles burning in the windows but there was a large cooking fire outside as well with what looked like a boar roasting over it. The place looked like it hadn't changed at all since she had seen it last. That was about four years ago when she had last visited him. But if the valley hadn't aged then he must have taken the years onto himself. He seemed to be much older than last she saw him. His hair and beard were streaked with gray and he looked as if a great weight sat on his shoulders. The mountain folk were known for their short stature but it looked as if the weight of his loss was bearing down so much that he wouldn't even be as tall as his shortest Dwarvin cousin.

He was over near the fire with a wolf that was pure white except for his front left paw which was obsidian black. He looked to be talking with the wolf so Gavinah decided to sneak over to a nearby tree and watch. “Ye see Kodi, they'll try te sneak up on ye, but ye can't allow that. Ain't that right Gavi?” he said.

“How long have you known I was here?” she asked bewildered. She would have sworn that no one could have seen her. The wolf hadn't even detected her. But she knew she shouldn't be surprised, Trunst's tracking ability was the very reason she had sought him out.

“I was 'ware of ye since ye snuck into me valley.” Trunst said looking over at Gavinah as she changed form back to an elf. “What do ye want with me Gavi?” he asked.

“Can I not just come to visit an old friend?” she replied seeming hurt.

“Did ye?” he asked eying Gavinah. Seeing her shifting he continued “Thought not. So what did ye come all the way up here fer if not te visit?”

“Well, we need your help.” she said. “And you need to leave your isolation. You've been up here to long Trunst, it's time to join the living again.”

“What do I need with the livin? I have me dog and me gun. There ain't nothin else I'm needing.” he said scratching Kodi behind the ears and looking off into the woods surrounding his home.

“It's been more then half of a decade, do you not think it's time to .............

“I'll not be talkin 'bout it!” he yelled jumping to his feet! “And neither will ye. Not te me.” he finished turning away from Gavinah.

“Trunst, we need your help. Mesiah thinks that something is going on in the church and we need to find out what it is.” Gavinah said.

Trunst spun back around to face Gavinah “Why in the nine hells should I think of helpin him? He couldn help me. He wouldn help her.” he finished sinking back down.

“There was nothing he could do. She had passed into the next life.” she said feeling his pain and wishing she could say something that would ease it.

Looking her in the eye, Trunst said, “He could 'a brung her back.”

Rising to her feet with the grace of a dancer and the bearing of an empress, Gavinah stared Trunst straight in the eye and said, “No.”

Not willing to back down, Trunst jumped to his feet again and asked, “Why not? It can be done. I've read it with me own eyes.”

Realizing that Trunst didn't understand, Gavinah decided it was time to explain it to him in terms he would have to understand. “Quite a few years back, before we knew you. Even before my husband agreed to teach my sister, he had another acolyte. She was bright and very willing to learn. The daughter of my third cousin, she had the potential to be a great healer.” sitting back down she continued, “We were helping a good friend of ours defend a small village from a small band of thieves that had it in their minds to take what little the villagers had. We had them beat. They were retreating when one turned and threw a spear that caught Sylia in the chest. She was gone before anyone knew what had happened. When Mesiah saw what had happed he was overcome with grief.” she said taking a calming breath. “He felt it was his fault. He never should have taken her to that fight is all he would say. Then he did the one thing that his teacher had warned him against. He sat down at her side and released his spirit from his earthly shell and went in search of her's. He found her and was able to bring her back. But the Sylia that we had lost did not return. It was her spirit, but in the short time that she was gone she had changed.”

“What do ye mean by changed?” Trunst asked.

“The Sylia we knew before was full of life and love. But thats not how she returned to us.” said Gavinah. “At first we didn't notice. We thought that the ordeal had just shaken her, that she would get better over time. But as time passed she stopped wanting to learn anything from Mesiah and started delving into darker knowledge. She became obsessed with the Occult of the Shadow and nothing we said would change her course. Then she did the one thing we had never dreamed she would. She attacked and killed a member of the church because he was trying to warn Mesiah of her faltering faith.”

Gavinah continued, “That was when Mesiah decided to try to undo what he had done. She would have been better off with the Mother then as she was. But Sylia was no fool and when Mesiah went to her room she was gone. Since then we've heard many reports of acts that she is believed to be responsible for. We haven't seen firm proof that it was her, but it wouldn't be hard to imagine that she is the one responsible.”

Looking deep into Trunst's eyes she said, “That is why Mesiah couldn't help you. If he had brought your love back to you it would have been worse then the pain you feel now.”

Trunst closed his eyes for a minuet then got up and walked into his home, Kodi right on his heels. After what seemed hours he emerged with his gun and his packs for traveling. He seemed to be a little taller now and had a look in his eyes that Gavinah remembered from the old days. “I'll be hearin what Mesiah has to say and decide if I'll be helpin ye then.”

“Thank you friend. We've missed you.” Gavinah said.
    edited August 2011
    “How are you feeling today?” Sylia asked as she entered the room. She was wearing a long flowing robe the color of night. Her hair was long and the color of the stars, pulled back to show the ears of a proud Elvin woman. “Better then the last two days I hope.” she finished.

“Much better, thank you.” Cristoph replied.

“I saw your fight. You were magnificent!” she said handing him a cup of water. “So your the one they call Deathwalker?”

“No. That is someone else. My name is Cristoph.” he said rising from the bed.

“Then how do you explain the Axe?” she asked pointing to the far corner of the room.

“There is nothing to explain.” said Cristoph. He walked over to the Axe and lifted it from where it was propped in the corner. Turning back to Sylia he said, “This should not be just left in a corner. Thank you again for your assistance but I must be going.” After collecting his few possessions, Cristoph started towards the door.

“Wait. Could I ask of you one request for saving your life?” she said before he could leave.

“You may ask, but I will make you no promises.” he said apprehensively.

“I've been hiding for a long time. There is a man that would very much like to see me dead. After seeing how you dispatched those men at the tavern I knew you would be up to the task of dealing with him.” she said. “It would be a simple matter for you to remove him from my life, and everyone else's as well.” she concluded with a gleam in her eye.

“I am no assassin. I don't know what you saw in that tavern but it was not me.” Cristoph said noticing the look in Sylia's eyes.

“What I saw, was you fight and kill eleven men, single-handedly, with that weapon you now hold. You slaughtered them like they were no more then first year trainees, despite the fact that they were all veterans.” she countered. “You may not want to admit it but you can not hide who or what you are!” she spat.

Cristoph looked directly into Sylia's eyes and said with a growl, “Deathwalker is an insane murderer. That is not me.” And with that he turned and walked out the door leaving Sylia standing there seething.

Mesiah would die for what he did to her, of that she had no doubts. But first she needed to find out how Cristoph had come to be in possession of that Axe. He obviously did not want it but it had some hold on him, and she would find what that hold was. And if it had been given to him, who had been the giver? That information may give her the power she needed to use the weapon to control Deathwalker.

Cristoph walked back to the tavern to try to remember what had happened to awaken Deathwalker. Even after three days the place was still in chaos from the battle. It seems that even though fights happen quite often here, none had ever ended in the death of a man, let alone eleven men! Everywhere you looked there were church Protectorates, the Church's law enforcers.

Cristoph heard a voice behind him say, “There he is! Thats the murderer!” Turning he saw a woman in the faded blue dress of a housewife pointing directly at him. “He's the one that slaughtered my husband and his friends just because he asked him to leave that hellish Axe at the door!” she wailed. “He's the Deathwalker!”

Cristoph knew she was lying. It took a lot more then what she had just claimed to unleash the monster trapped inside him. But he didn't truly know what had happened to let Deathwalker loose so he decided to keep silent as what looked to be the ranking officer of the Protectorates walked in his direction. “Inquisitor Cristoph. It has been a very long time.” he said.

“Protectorate Gazragar, I see you've risen in the ranks since we last spoke.” Cristoph replied eying the Protectorate. The last time Cristoph had seen him he was an Initiate in the Order of the Protectors. At that time he still wore his mail armor that the Order had issued him. Now however he was wearing an elaborate set of field plate armor designed for mobility and protection. He also wore the sword and shield of a senior officer which meant that he was the ranking Protectorate here.

“I wish we had more time to talk but I am not here on personal business but by order of the Protectorate.” Gazragar said reaching into a satchel at his side and withdrawing a small leaflet of papers. “Inquisitor Cristoph Deathwalker is to be returned to the Holy Order in the city of Neverwinter upon sight where he will be handed over to the High Justicar for formal Inquest.” he read from the first page.

This made no sense. Cristoph understood why he was being arrested but he couldn't understand why a Protectorate was sent. The Inquisition were not bound my Protectorate laws. If anyone were to take him to justice it should be another Inquisitor. “Why am I being arrested by a Protectorate instead of another of my own Order?” Cristoph demanded.

Surprised, Gazragar replied, “I am sorry but I am not allowed to give you that information. But I can tell you that you will know shortly after your return to the Holy Order.”

Now Cristoph understood how Gazragar had advanced so quickly in the Protectorate. The one thing they valued in their officers above all else, was the ability to receive and execute orders without question or delay. And from the sound of it, Gazragar had that quality in abundance. A good trait for a Protectorate to be sure, but it didn't help Cristoph in the least at the moment.

“Very well,” said Cristoph, “I will come peacefully. But I will expect you to take care of this.” he finished, removing the Axe from his back and handing it to Gazragar. “That Axe is very dangerous, make sure no one else lays a hand on it.”

Holding the Axe as if it were a live Viper, Gazragar said, “No one will come near it, of that I can promise you.” Turning to his second in command he said, “Bring the wagon around. We have what we came for and with less trouble than was expected.” Turning back to Cristoph he continued “I am sorry for this, but the reports say that you are to be treated as a murderer would be. You have to be transported back to the Church grounds by barred and locked wagon.”

As the wagon that Cristoph was to be detained in pulled up he removed his pack with his remaining possessions and handed it to one of the lower ranking enforcers. He climbed into the wagon without saying another word. He knew he would find out why the Inquisition hadn't come to pick him up themselves but he also knew that if he caused any trouble here that it was very likely that he would loose control, and that he truly didn't want.

The sun was starting to descend by the time Gazragar's men were ready to leave. After locking the bar on the door of the wagon, Gazragar stowed the Axe in the lock box that was attached to the underside of the floor. Then after little delay he and his men mounted up for the trip back to the city.