test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Request] Please, no initial boost in hit points.

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2011 in General Discussion (PC)
In Dungeon & Dragons Online, all character starts with a feat giving out a 20 hit points-or-so bonus so that they'll last longer in combat and better wade through the little creatures at the beginning of the game.

Please, let that not happen in Neverwinter.

I hope that instead, we will get better adventure design which will allow us to make the most out of the hit points/healing surge resources granted by default in the 4E player's handbook. A Fighter's 15+Constitution Score or a Wizard's 10+Constitution Score should suffice.

If an adventure is a solo adventure, design it with according opposition to match that (read: lesser numbers/minions) rather than give out an easymode feat like DDO. If it's not, then it's not and a PC will either need henchmen or other PC companions to get past larger groups of enemies.

That's part of encounter building guidelines in the 4E Dungeon Master's guide, and I think it's good advice. Even the previous Neverwinter Night games did not boost initial hit points (though they soon boosted PC levels to 3 to make them less squishy) but in 4E you shouldn't even need to - initial hit points are already higher, and anyone who wants to be tougher can invest either in the Toughness feat for extra max hit points, or feats like Durable to grant more healing surges.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2011
    Agreed. But I suppose that it all depends on how closely the game is going to stick to the 4e game mechanics. Personally I'd love something akin to "The Temple of Elemental Evil". I know that's not how this game is going to turn out, they're going in a different direction with it. I just hope the flavor of D&D remains. I have high hopes!
    edited June 2011
    In DDO's defense...in testing they tried oh how they tried, but it just didn't translate well to a MMO, since NWO isn't technically a MMO...maybe the can pull a Kinder out of a hat.
    edited June 2011
    In DnD 4 ed players at the beginning have much more HP. For example a fighter has 15 + constitution score (not modifier, but score). So on average he can have 30 hp at 1 lvl. At all next levels he gets +6 hp. So believe me, there is no need for boosts here.
    edited June 2011
    They already stated in one of the interviews that characters will have a boost in hp in the beginning of the game.
    edited June 2011
    I hope to god that was just Jack Emmert talking about the 4E's way of handling hitpoints than an actual boost over that. x_x
    edited June 2011
    The initial HP boost in DDO was added because 3rd ed's mechanics on this point are terrible. NWN1/2 quickly skipped you past first level for exactly this reason, and running against PHB kobolds at lvl 1 in the 1st NWN expansion was a painful process of reloading ever time they rolled lucky. 4E adjusted this for the very good reason that it was nearly as bad on paper as in these games, with your only consolation that starting a new lvl 1 character didn't involve losing much.

If there are further HP adjustments by cryptic, I rather think they'd be scaling hitpoints differently throughout the entire game rather than just an initial boost, 4E already handles those proportions pretty well. Most CRPGs end up having at least 10 times as much combat as an equivalent PnP adventure, concessions have to be made in one spot or another to make D&D work in a realtime CRPG.
    edited June 2011
    Zoberraz wrote: »
    I hope to god that was just Jack Emmert talking about the 4E's way of handling hitpoints than an actual boost over that. x_x

Our only hope now is that God appears before Jack and says in a thunderous voice "Use 4E rules for your DND game!!!!"

Actually, he might listen to Zeus more.