test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Core content

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2011 in General Discussion (PC)
I am inquireing as to if this game will have a teired difficulty game advancement after max level is aquired.

I suppose what I am getting at is most players of MMOs will grind out and get to max level as fast as possible to expirence the end content.

What I would suggest is enough content with enough difficulty so that it would take the game community quite some time to complete. Enough time that if the game does well for you to create new content before the community gets bored.

Sort of like instead of teiring the game by level difficulty. You place your beginner content from level 1- max level . Then start on the game focusing your attention on content for max level players.

I understand there will be player made dungeons which is really neat. But the players are always going to go after whatever yeilds the best rewards.You dont want the game community completeing all your raid content in a month or two.

I would suggest a flag teired system where you have area A difficulty teir 1 group content with group quests that must be completed to enter the teir two group content zones, and so on and so forth.

The raids would be the same way and done by theme for your teired group content. Say five events for a raid party per teir each with teired itemization getting better and better the farther you go. Also with flags, so in order to raid teir two content you must have all 5 raids completed in teir one. Then 5 raids for teir two and so on and so forth.

Give it an 80% rule so that as long as your in the raid party and 80% of the raid is flagged for the area then you are temp flagged. Each new teir of raids should drop a back flag item for the teir prior. This will make it easier on guilds trying to beat the content and loseing and getting new players and not haveing to backtrack.

Most games that have been comming out as of late have been lacking in the what do i do now that im maxed level area. This should be the most exciteing part of the game and should be where your game really begins rather than ends.

I am really excited to see what you have done, I will definetly check this one out. Just dont want to get bored and still want to feel the need to strive for better and better itemization via raiding content.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2011
    This isn't an MMO. Repeat. IT IS NOT AN MMO.

There is no "end game" content etc...

This game has a beginning a middle and an End.

The only reason it is an Online game is so you can form a party with people online.
    edited June 2011
    This isn't an MMO. Repeat. IT IS NOT AN MMO.

The only reason it is an Online game is so you can form a party with people online.

I have a stinking suspicion this will be more MMOish then they are letting on.:rolleyes:
    edited June 2011
    I'm not sure if it will have an end, since the city will take years to rebuild, plus the content will be constantly updated.

That is to say, there might be quests for 10 lvls, but they probably will be as fun and as important as those for lower lvls.

Don't think there'll be raid, rather 5 man instances. This is supposed to be co-operation focused game, but MMO.

The exploration from what I guess will be mostly quest driven. Similarly to Guild Wars, I guess.
    edited June 2011
    Presbytier wrote: »
    I have a stinking suspicion this will be more MMOish then they are letting on.:rolleyes:

I think it'll be less MMO than many are imagining. It's more story and voice-over oriented than STO, apparently.

If you've sat around thinking, "Man, wouldn't it be great to make Baldur's Gate a persistent world where paths intersect?" then this sounds like that--less MMO, not quite co-op (since there are persistent zones), and very story-driven.
    edited June 2011
    I think it'll be less MMO than many are imagining. It's more story and voice-over oriented than STO, apparently.

If you've sat around thinking, "Man, wouldn't it be great to make Baldur's Gate a persistent world where paths intersect?" then this sounds like that--less MMO, not quite co-op (since there are persistent zones), and very story-driven.

That would be nice; I could certainly go for that.
    edited June 2011
    That would be nice; I could certainly go for that.

That's the type of multiplayer I've wanted out of RPGs for ages: not grinds like MMOs, not linear co-op, not deathmatch/arenas.

It's like no one has ever developed for my dream niche. :)
    edited June 2011

Are they doing voice overs? Is there an article on this? REad a some articles here n there but would very much like to read one on this though.
    edited June 2011
    Being a co-op RPG game, you level up doing quests by yourself and henchmen/other_players. When you reach max level (10 on release and D&D has a max of 30), you may be able to do more quests but I doubt you will be getting any experience from them, just loot.

Raids? Well, someone could use the Foundry to create some sort of equivalent, right? For those interested in "end game" content that belongs to MMO and not to OMG.
    edited June 2011

If there is an end, then how can there be no end game?

If you mean 10th level raiding... then no. But then again, there is no raiding. But I am sure there will be plenty of things for your 10th level character to do.
    edited June 2011

Yep and folks who talked to Cryptic at E3 pretty much confirm this. You are not going to have end game raiding in Neverwinter nor will you have competitive PVP ( I think they did say something about arenas like a fight club though) It is D&D as in:

You have traveled for several days to reach the keep on the Borderlands, the weather for much of this time has been damp and chill and there seems to be an ominous quite as you approach its Ancient gates. ;)
    edited June 2011
    Saco123 wrote:
    Are they doing voice overs? Is there an article on this? REad a some articles here n there but would very much like to read one on this though.

It'd be awfully strange if their MMOs Champions and Star Trek had voice-overs before Neverwinter did.

I believe Jack, in an interview, said something to the effect that it'd be a very traditional RPG as opposed to an MMO and there was a parenthetical remark regarding VO (unsure if it was the author or Jack being quoted).
    edited June 2011
    It'd be awfully strange if their MMOs Champions and Star Trek had voice-overs before Neverwinter did.

I believe Jack, in an interview, said something to the effect that it'd be a very traditional RPG as opposed to an MMO and there was a parenthetical remark regarding VO (unsure if it was the author or Jack being quoted).

How traditional? I mean back in the day it could take a really long time to read those dialogue boxes(Ultima anyone?).:D
    edited June 2011
    How traditional? I mean back in the day it could take a really long time to read those dialogue boxes(Ultima anyone?).:D
    Neverwinter is so old-school that your default name is the Avatar and there's an ASCII-mode for low-end laptops and 386 processors. Also, Lord British will be a jerk to you and you can perma-die in the tutorial dungeon. :)
    edited June 2011
    Yep and folks who talked to Cryptic at E3 pretty much confirm this. You are not going to have end game raiding in Neverwinter nor will you have competitive PVP ( I think they did say something about arenas like a fight club though) It is D&D as in:

You have traveled for several days to reach the keep on the Borderlands, the weather for much of this time has been damp and chill and there seems to be an ominous quite as you approach its Ancient gates. ;)

Hmmm surely there will be some raiding of some kind, at least I would like some raid size encounter. Not so much bout "Epic LEWZTTT RAAWWRRR!!!" but more of just a larger encounter experience of a more intricate fight that'll require ample teamwork.

As the game developes and guilds, kinships, corps, or whatever is gonna be NWO equivilent there will be groups that will surpass the party size of a couple to half a dozen party size group. Something of a big encounter, say a monumental point in a storyline. Porobably excluded from the Foundry.

Was soooo hyped about VoN in DDO...talk bout let downs of your life. Got all there finally with my guild, was sooo exicited, did the pillars, n then was "Yeah..everyone stand in this corner here and just these two with great FR attack the dragon and everyone who can heal in wands or spells just spam healing in em."
    edited June 2011
    Saco123 wrote:
    Hmmm surely there will be some raiding of some kind, at least I would like some raid size encounter. Not so much bout "Epic LEWZTTT RAAWWRRR!!!" but more of just a larger encounter experience of a more intricate fight that'll require ample teamwork.

As the game developes and guilds, kinships, corps, or whatever is gonna be NWO equivilent there will be groups that will surpass the party size of a couple to half a dozen party size group. Something of a big encounter, say a monumental point in a storyline. Porobably excluded from the Foundry.

Was soooo hyped about VoN in DDO...talk bout let downs of your life. Got all there finally with my guild, was sooo exicited, did the pillars, n then was "Yeah..everyone stand in this corner here and just these two with great FR attack the dragon and everyone who can heal in wands or spells just spam healing in em."

You can raid any dungeon with a five player team. You can raid chests by yourself. You might even be able to raid the cookie jar in your cabinet, but I don't think you can collect half the server to attack the super elite rabbit of fire blasting. It likely won't exist and there is no way to bring half the server into the same dungeon.

To me and a lot of others, this is a very good thing. A very very good thing!
    edited June 2011
    tlantl wrote: »
    You can raid any dungeon with a five player team. You can raid chests by yourself. You might even be able to raid the cookie jar in your cabinet, but I don't think you can collect half the server to attack the super elite rabbit of fire blasting. It likely won't exist and there is no way to bring half the server into the same dungeon.

To me and a lot of others, this is a very good thing. A very very good thing!

Agreed. For those that can commit time in MMos to do 10, 20 or greater man content more power to them but as a casual player I dislike be locked out of high-end content of the game due to RL commits. Honestly sometimes it can be difficult enough to juggle four others time in order to schedule running content, let alone more.

Most of the times I spent trying to raid in other games was spent waiting around for people to show up to activities they had promised to participate in but could not bother to show up in time for, questionable state of mind, or at all and an most of those raid nights I could have had a lot more f un actually playing the game than standing aroudn waiting only to have things cancelled.
    edited June 2011
    IMHO, raiding is the most overrated aspect of an MMO. Being 1 person in 40 does not feel that heroic at all. It's glorified zerging. Now, being 1 person in 5, that is a much more heroic feeling, much more rewarding, and your actions have much more consequences.
    edited June 2011
    Jharii wrote:
    IMHO, raiding is the most overrated aspect of an MMO. Being 1 person in 40 does not feel that heroic at all. It's glorified zerging. Now, being 1 person in 5, that is a much more heroic feeling, much more rewarding, and your actions have much more consequences.

Lol no, not the give up your life raiding. A 12 man raid are easy to fill and I find bigger group encounters more fun at times. It's all bout variety I'd like, some bigger scale encounters. Smaller groups are fun, so are the bigger groups. I'm pretty sure Cryptic though will have some kind of large scale enconters, there will be some storyline and some big boss that would need to beat. Whether it be restricted to a reg party size or be expanded to a raid size party we'll have to wait n see.
    edited June 2011
    That's the type of multiplayer I've wanted out of RPGs for ages: not grinds like MMOs, not linear co-op, not deathmatch/arenas.

It's like no one has ever developed for my dream niche. :)

i do agree with you on one point.. i dont like the grind of DDO.

But i would like too see a DDO style game .. if that makes sense.

In ddo thier are way too many over powered items and abilitys i mean shut at lv 4 i can have a acid of pure good great axe .. and it jsut gets worse as you lv .. but i dont want too see nwn that i already played a few times in a pay monthly type game
    edited June 2011
    Saco123 wrote:
    Lol no, not the give up your life raiding. A 12 man raid are easy to fill and I find bigger group encounters more fun at times. It's all bout variety I'd like, some bigger scale encounters. Smaller groups are fun, so are the bigger groups. I'm pretty sure Cryptic though will have some kind of large scale enconters, there will be some storyline and some big boss that would need to beat. Whether it be restricted to a reg party size or be expanded to a raid size party we'll have to wait n see.

Crytic usually does have large-scale encounters in the form of zone monsters but I'm not certain how that might map to the world of neverwinter since I cant force the presentation of Guild Wars out of my head for this one, social zones and content zones - with the content zones mainly being private instanced.

If it fits in the world then I am ALL FOR epic open monster fights. They tend to be a lot of fun.

If it doesnt fit in the open world then it would be fun to have something similar to LotRo's skirmish system where people could queue up to a specific or random encounter of 'raid' nature.