test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will we get drow, but no elf or eladrin?

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2011 in General Discussion (PC)
I haven't seen any eladrin or elf art... only drow... could this mean no elf, eladrin at the release?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2011
    Doubtful...pretty sure starting off we'll have the "normal" elves. Drow I'd be highly doubtful being playable at launch due to how their society is structured. They might have a bit or artwork due to that NWO adventures ar heavyily based underground and that is the domain of the Drow... then again perciesely for that reason they could be played at the launch...however doubtful I am of that.
    edited June 2011
    In the trailer, on the arts, we can see a drow women from behind, it would mean she was the player.

But I saw no elves (wood and wild elves) or eladrin (sun or moon elves)....
    edited June 2011
    There is an elf and half-elf character option.
    edited June 2011
    Cool :) I guess asking questions about other races is pointless :P ? I remember from some interview that for now you want to keep it secret... but maybe just a number? Like 6 or 9 races :P ?
    edited June 2011
    I would venture to guess that all the races will be in the game at launch, but not all will be playable. Much like in STO they where all in there but they released new races in the C-Store.
    edited June 2011
    Actually it would be interesting to make "rare" races pay2play. Would help balance out the races to be closer to what they should be and cut down on the number of drow rangers.

- Bar
    edited June 2011
    barfubaz wrote: »
    Actually it would be interesting to make "rare" races pay2play. Would help balance out the races to be closer to what they should be and cut down on the number of drow rangers.

- Bar

No offence, but don't give them any ideas on what they can charge us for; they are way to good at that on their own.:(
    edited June 2011
    Half-elf and Elf are great to see. Interesting that there are no Eladrin yet. Perhaps their racial teleport is a problem? Or were there just "too many elves"?
    edited June 2011
    Good to here the Elf and Half Elf join the dwarf and Human. gonna guess halflings are there and perhaps tieflings.
    edited June 2011
    barfubaz wrote: »

- Bar

Eladrin are not a rare race, as of 4th edition they are a CORE race along with Dragonborn, Dwarf, Elf, Half-Elf, Halfling and Humans.

they shouldn't be "lumped " in simply with ELF either as Eladrin have different racial traits to the standard 4th ed elf and not becase the are a subrace a la Moon Elf, Gold Elf, wild elf etc... but because they are a separate species entirely.
    edited June 2011
    Neowolf wrote: »
    they shouldn't be "lumped " in simply with ELF either as Eladrin have different racial traits to the standard 4th ed elf and not becase the are a subrace a la Moon Elf, Gold Elf, wild elf etc... but because they are a separate species entirely.

To clarify that, as per the 4E Forgotten Realms Players Guide, pages 14-15.

The most common Eladrin are considered to be the Moon Elves/Silver Elves. Much rarer are those Eladrin which are the Sun Elves/Gold Elves.

Elves would most commonly be the Wood Elves/Copper Elves or more rarely the Wild Elves/Green Elves.

They kept the names from previous editions of D&D and instead of having multiple versions of the Elven stat bonuses for the sub-races in 4E, they just said that two of the old sub-races are actually the Eladrin while the other two are still the Elves.
    edited June 2011
    Saco123 wrote:
    Doubtful...pretty sure starting off we'll have the "normal" elves. Drow I'd be highly doubtful being playable at launch due to how their society is structured. They might have a bit or artwork due to that NWO adventures ar heavyily based underground and that is the domain of the Drow... then again perciesely for that reason they could be played at the launch...however doubtful I am of that.

Watch the E3 video, there is a Drow Sorcerer in game character. Drow is probably going to be a character at launch
    edited June 2011
    Hythian wrote: »
    To clarify that, as per the 4E Forgotten Realms Players Guide, pages 14-15.

The most common Eladrin are considered to be the Moon Elves/Silver Elves. Much rarer are those Eladrin which are the Sun Elves/Gold Elves.

Elves would most commonly be the Wood Elves/Copper Elves or more rarely the Wild Elves/Green Elves.

They kept the names from previous editions of D&D and instead of having multiple versions of the Elven stat bonuses for the sub-races in 4E, they just said that two of the old sub-races are actually the Eladrin while the other two are still the Elves.

If you read the 4th ed Forgotten Realms Players guide it pretty much explains there.. but your right about them being considerded Moon elf or Sun elf's I was in error on that point.

But the the point I was making stands they are an entirely separate species, they actually elves per se at all, which is wy they are listed everywhere as spearate races with differing traits and physicality, and the guide I mention bares that out. They merely have a common ancestor.

Its like comparing neanderthals and modern homo sapiens .. common ancestry, and similarities in form but completely different evolutionary offshoots.