test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Campaigns /Adventures too long

Hi,

I have some time to spend playing but not full days, so I like to play multiple characters, but the amount of time needed to complete some Campaigns (for example Path of the Fallen) and Adventures (for example Elemental Evil) is waaaaaaaay too much for the reward, reducing the willingness to start new characters (for example Bard), because I cannot stand to go through that again.

As an idea, to not waste time in reworking the campaigns and the adventures, can you simply provide the boons earlier in the storyline and allow people who wants, to continue? Would be a win-win...

Comments

• toxicmephisto#4280 toxicmephisto Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    Additional thing: at least for the legacy campaigns, can you please remove the time bound and allow Genie gift to give you all the needed currency to move ahead?
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    Do multiple campaigns at the same time. I am doing that.
    By the way, don't forget to make Signet of Patronage of various campaigns for the new character (assuming you have character(s) completed those campaigns).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • stryker80#0653 stryker80 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    I agree that the time spent in adventures and campaigns versus the rewards achieved is out of balance. IMO, the length of adventures is just fine though - it's the rewards that could use improvement.

Granted, I've been around for a while and may not be able to put myself fully into a "newbie" perspective, but for example, the armor boxes that we get at the end of some adventures give pieces that are essentially transmutes. I've got better stuff already.

Boons are nice, but I can see how the time spent for a 0.2% increase to a stat does not seem worthwhile. Boons are a whole other conversation though. he AD boxes are nice. Refinement gems? These are everywhere.

I get that they don't want to give the "best" or the most popular stuff from the zen shop away, so I won't ask for Coal motes or anything. But how about some lockbox keys, or legendary dragon keys? That way we at least have a chance at some premium reward. Others, please chime in on what might be nice for adventure / campaign rewards.

I'd wager that over time we'll see any remaining legacy campaigns converted to adventures, so it may be wiser to just leave the SKT and Cloaked Ascendancy grinds until then if you haven't completed them yet.
  • masteryoda#6623 masteryoda Member Posts: 267 Arc User

I agree that the time spent in adventures and campaigns versus the rewards achieved is out of balance. IMO, the length of adventures is just fine though - it's the rewards that could use improvement.

Granted, I've been around for a while and may not be able to put myself fully into a "newbie" perspective, but for example, the armor boxes that we get at the end of some adventures give pieces that are essentially transmutes. I've got better stuff already.

Boons are nice, but I can see how the time spent for a 0.2% increase to a stat does not seem worthwhile. Boons are a whole other conversation though. he AD boxes are nice. Refinement gems? These are everywhere.

I get that they don't want to give the "best" or the most popular stuff from the zen shop away, so I won't ask for Coal motes or anything. But how about some lockbox keys, or legendary dragon keys? That way we at least have a chance at some premium reward. Others, please chime in on what might be nice for adventure / campaign rewards.

I'd wager that over time we'll see any remaining legacy campaigns converted to adventures, so it may be wiser to just leave the SKT and Cloaked Ascendancy grinds until then if you haven't completed them yet.

This I agree with, I personally do not think the campaigns are too long just poor rewards for completion, the dragon keys would be a nice touch, personally I don't want to see all the campaigns turned into adventures like how they have been doing recently but your probably right that they will
  • ksellksell Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    The ones from example are bloody mess in matter of progress, but u get extra rewards in between; i would rather see both avernus in legacies now than havin them reworked in active campagins. Current active campagins need rewards adjusted first - campagin shops especially.
    I'm not saying ALL adventures needs to be shortenen, but some, like Elemental Evil which is insanely long.

In regards to the weekly cap, can you perhaps at least remove it for the ALT? I waited weeks for the main toon, please let me go through quicker with the other ones... Otherwise I don't do it, and you loose the money for the upgrade of additional toons.

In regards to the rewards, also totally agreed, some are really non sense
  • trinity706#8838 trinity706 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    Personally, pretty much only do campaigns when there is a x2 currency event (even better with a Signet of Patronage because it's then like x4 currency with the 1/2 off task costs). Overall, personally work on campaigns in a systematic fashion (if possible), meaning collecting ALL quests over 3-4 days and then completing all quests instead of picking up and completing like 3 quests daily (Storm King's Thunder and Dread Ring for example can be done this way).

During the x2 currency event for SKT/DR, instead of feeling like you have to go to the zone(s) each day to fully utilize the event you can:
    1.) Gather all quests PRIOR to the event.
    2.) Complete all the quests on the FIRST day at x2.
    3.) Gather the quests for 3 days and complete all quests on the 3rd day (4th day of the event)(still have 3 days of the event left).
    4.) Gather the quests for another 3 days and complete all quests on the last day of the event.

You will then have OVER a month and half worth of currency from 3 days of completing quests ;)B)

Even outside of a x2 event it's still a good way to save time on running content and help prevent burn out.

As far as adventures, some of the higher tier ones pay like 100k RAD and don't really take that long so it kind of evens out as far as time taken : reward. Elemental Evil pays like 5k RAD per quest (at least with the Epic AD bonus collar).

Personally see the "best" campaign structure as that of Jungles of Chult/Ravenloft where the boons can be worked towards on another character from the beginning without having to first go through spending currency on multiple tasks to then begin spending currency on boons, not exactly sure why they changed from that structure anyway...
    ALL Rights Reserved for any and all suggestions, ideas, etc. from this user.

“There are changes that can be made that don’t require coding...” - TriNitY
    "No amount of coding will change human behavior" - TriNitY

Ongoing Issue: Legitmate Players Banned for Botting (Console) and the Future for "Dedicated" Players

Suggestions: (Implemented) \/\/ Rearrange Character on character Select Screen

During the x2 currency event ...
    ) Gather all quests PRIOR to the event.

Elemental Evil pays like 5k RAD per quest (at least with the Epic AD bonus collar).

Personally see the "best" campaign structure as that of Jungles of Chult/Ravenloft where the boons can be worked towards on another character from the beginning

A) The problem here is that not all old camp have 2x currency to be added - like EE n UM

B) Thats the workaround to the problem above (I think its flat 5k, affected with 50% bonus)

C)Chult/Ravenloft are better design than avernus/shar because of quest givers; its easier to stack dailies n weeklies in first ones, n avoid been stuck with rotation as its common for later; also chult n ravenloft gives u soirces of extra currencies not counted toward cap (or used to baypass it)

And generall problem is Sharandar which need tweaks at least; it will not be a legacy one anytime soon, and even if it will not resolve the very bad progression n wasted experience of interesting zone it supposed to be.
    edited August 2022
    ksell said:

A) The problem here is that not all old camp have 2x currency to be added - like EE n UM

EE has not time gate. It is one of the fast one to finish. 2 days? It has been massively simplified comparing with the original version.
    ksell said:

B) Thats the workaround to the problem above (I think its flat 5k, affected with 50% bonus)

This actually is "my problem" for EE because I need to fill up more 50% AD bonus to do it. If it is backend lump sum award like those to have 100K rAD in the end, I would have finished that and wait for the AD bonus to fill up one day.

I currently have a 'new' character running all campaigns at the same time. The priority is to get boon points and complete the rest in the back burner. He does not do too much on the Adventure side because of exhausted 50% AD bonus. He has about 6 to 7 unclaimed rewards stuck on the screen waiting for AD bonus.

*** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***

This actually is "my problem" for EE because I need to fill up more 50% AD bonus to do it. If it is backend lump sum award like those to have 100K rAD in the end, I would have finished that and wait for the AD bonus to fill up one day.

I currently have a 'new' character running all campaigns at the same time. The priority is to get boon points and complete the rest in the back burner. He does not do too much on the Adventure side because of exhausted 50% AD bonus. He has about 6 to 7 unclaimed rewards stuck on the screen waiting for AD bonus.

Frankly, im yet to run EE as whole in newer toons to compare the expierience, but yes everythin is better than the mod 6 relase.
    My biggest itch is that unlike undermountain its not immersive at all, n leads to nothin - used to be a starter weapon set. And once again its good EE is not first adventure, UM fits that way better.

50% AD bonus might be the real issue here, even if we fill it from sybella stor it will be too slow; too bad incentive store n whole event is not utilized to the fullest. Also Adventurer Seals store could have this bonus to buy.

EE has not time gate. It is one of the fast one to finish. 2 days? It has been massively simplified comparing with the original version.

This

Indeed it has been simplified. For those that don't know, it's been cut by over/about half in regard to completion time.
    Also Drowned Shore has about 16 quests and the remaining 3 have about 15 quests each.
    ksell said:

EE and UM are not campaigns, they are adventures, which are not time gated.
    ksell said:

C)Chult/Ravenloft are better design than avernus/shar because of quest givers; its easier to stack dailies n weeklies in first ones, n avoid been stuck with rotation as its common for later;

Chult/Ravenloft still have quest rotations like Avernus/Sharandar meaning that you can't stack them over a couple of days like SKT/DR. A big difference outside of x2 currency events still being C/R boons are available as soon as the campaign is unlocked while the boons in A/S are time gated and are achieved further in the campaign.

If A/S (and future campaigns) had it to where after at least one character completes the campaign, additional character could pick up ALL the quests (rather than there being rotations) though had to turn them all in before being able to get them again then could/would be a step forward because who wants to:

Go to one part of a zone > turn in quests > get another set of quests that occur in the same area/near the previous set.

In other words who wants to backtrack back and forth across a zone when you can just get all the quests in the zone, do a sweep and complete them all. The campaigns (non-legacy at least) are time gated anyway so gathering all quests and completing them faster because of no longer having to backtrack matters less.

Ongoing Issue: Legitmate Players Banned for Botting (Console) and the Future for "Dedicated" Players

• sak#3663 sak Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    I’ve been playing Neverwinter since around 2015. I liked going back to the old campaigns and re-doing quests and doing them with new characters after some time passed. I liked WOD even if just as a legacy quest. I feel like so much has been lost and it is coming to be the ever shrinking world of Neverwinter. I still love the game and my characters. I guess I don’t see the need to rush progression in the game. It’s not that I have a lot of time to play. I just don’t mind if things take some time. But, I think I may be one of the few left who feel this way. Things change and I have been adapting for a long time. I hope I can continue to do so in the future.
    *** NOT Directed To Anyone In Particular ***

Personally find it amusing when those that complain about the "lack of content" also complain about content being "too long".

• luffyhaki123luffyhaki123 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    I really think they should make campaigns and adventures account wide, most of the zones are dead anyways so it wont effect anyone , plus no one wants to do the same campaigns or adventures over and over on every class. this is where games fail to keep players , forcing players to do stuff they already done many times
    edited August 2022

I really think they should make campaigns and adventures account wide, most of the zones are dead anyways so it wont effect anyone , plus no one wants to do the same campaigns or adventures over and over on every class. this is where games fail to keep players , forcing players to do stuff they already done many times

Not no one. I am one of them. I am doing yet another class to run through everything now. It is my 8th one. I am still enjoying it once a while. I plan to do my 9th after this. Oh! You don't need anybody else doing those solo content. If there are players, I ignore them regardless. So, even if the zone is empty (and it is not), it does not really matter.
  • milehighxr#1299 milehighxr Member Posts: 461 Arc User
    I for one would prefer that all future campaigns, not the adventures(adventures are fine the way they are), but the campaigns, be more like Undermountain/Elemental Evil where you progress at yer own pace and finish it in one weekend if you wanted to. I absolutely despise this weekly haul nonsense. The Battle Passes should also be set up to allow me to finish in one weekend if I so choose just like Echoes was. If I wanna finish a campaign in one weekend let me do that.

And please no more forced group campaigns or Battle Passes, I run primarily solo for a reason, and I really hate having to spend an hour trying to finish random dungeons because there's too many people running them that don't know the mechs, or are too weak to do it fast. I generally don't form groups because it takes too long, and there's no good way to determine if someone is a decent player or not. They can have great gear and still not know how to dodge.
    edited August 2022

I for one would prefer that all future campaigns, not the adventures(adventures are fine the way they are), but the campaigns, be more like Undermountain/Elemental Evil where you progress at yer own pace and finish it in one weekend if you wanted to. I absolutely despise this weekly haul nonsense. The Battle Passes should also be set up to allow me to finish in one weekend if I so choose just like Echoes was. If I wanna finish a campaign in one weekend let me do that.

They did that intentionally. They want to keep people 'engage' in the game everyday or at least within the duration of the mod. For those who has only few characters, if one mod only 'worth' one day or one weekend of play time, there is not much they can do until the next mod which will be months later. i.e. they don't want the situation as: play a mod for a week and then come back months later (if they come back at all).

Their mod does not have enough real content to keep people playing. That is why they put in the time gate and make us doing the same thing again and again.

Undermountain/Elemental Evil has a lot more content.

Even with time gate, the gap between mods is so long that I could finish 7 characters and still had a lot of time left until the next mod.

I really think they should make campaigns and adventures account wide

Agree with campaigns (or rather their boons) being account wide. Adventures? Not so much. Personally been working on a thread since January that includes the aspect of account wide boons.

plus no one wants to do the same campaigns or adventures over and over on every class.

Personally don't mind doing campaigns/adventurers on other characters compared to a lot of other players, it is seen as a means to an end though the dislike of doing so that a lot of players have is understood.

edited September 2022
    Point is not to progress too fast with the first toon. But once I reach end-game with one character, I would love to try out a new class, maybe a tank, or an healer. But I need to spend months on content I have already done. And yet once again with a new class... and then you have the weekly caps... what's the point once you have done it already?

If you like, nobody is saying you should not do, but there is no engagement in forcing people in doing things over and over, in fact I don't do it anymore...

So the account wide idea is a good one for the boons (which is basically the reason why you need to go through it).

You still want to do it again for the 9th time? Fine, do it, but allow the ones who are not grinder to avoid it and have fun with the game.

I'm not saying ALL adventures needs to be shortenen, but some, like Elemental Evil which is insanely long.

In regards to the weekly cap, can you perhaps at least remove it for the ALT? I waited weeks for the main toon, please let me go through quicker with the other ones... Otherwise I don't do it, and you loose the money for the upgrade of additional toons.

Elemental Evil has no cap, so you can finish that in a weekend if you so choose. Undermountain is the same. That is what I loved about those 2 campaigns. Unfortunately now that they are adventures they aren't worth doing on a alt. The boons are nearly worthless, and you don't get from them like you do in the other adventures.

I personally wish they would remove the weekly cap from all campaigns, even the new ones. I really enjoyed being able to finish Undermountain in a weekend if I wanted to.
    \

Elemental Evil has no cap, so you can finish that in a weekend if you so choose. Undermountain is the same. That is what I loved about those 2 campaigns. Unfortunately now that they are adventures they aren't worth doing on a alt. The boons are nearly worthless, and you don't get from them like you do in the other adventures.

I personally wish they would remove the weekly cap from all campaigns, even the new ones. I really enjoyed being able to finish Undermountain in a weekend if I wanted to.
    Those are not "campaign" anymore. Undermountain, Elemental Evil, etc are now 'Adventures' which has no weekly cap. e.g. The "new" Adventure portion of Rothe Valley does not have weekly cap.
    I would like to add bit diffrent view; havin cap or not, would be a lesser issue if there are addational activity provided. River district might be good example - not only we got side quest for currencies, but also HE and lairs that included general loot.
    An interesting idea for adventures or even campagin would be repetable quests like we got in EE - kill enemies, do HE; for Rothe it would be perfect solution - till we get new mod
    edited September 2022
    ksell said:

I would like to add bit diffrent view; havin cap or not, would be a lesser issue if there are addational activity provided. River district might be good example - not only we got side quest for currencies, but also HE and lairs that included general loot.
    An interesting idea for adventures or even campagin would be repetable quests like we got in EE - kill enemies, do HE; for Rothe it would be perfect solution - till we get new mod

The reason of the existence of this topic is not about doing interesting thing in the old adventure/campaign. It is more about getting them done ASAP. People does not really care about the old HE and enemies. Additional activities do not matter. What they really want is the boon from that Adventure/campaign. Nobody would care to go back Rothe Valley once they get all the rewards.

i.e. after they get what they want, there is not much reason for them to go back. And, this thread is about people wants to get what they want faster or not even doing it more than once at all.

The time gate is implemented because dev does not want people to finish the mod in few days and then come back 3 months later for the next mod (and another few days). There is not enough new content to keep people engage. Repeating quests is not an "interesting idea". It is the only idea for every campaign.

May be you mean repeating the story line. Even if that is the case, I doubt people here care because they already expressed about not wanting to do the same thing again for the alt character (who can do the full story line).
    Post edited by plasticbat on

\

Those are not "campaign" anymore. Undermountain, Elemental Evil, etc are now 'Adventures' which has no weekly cap. e.g. The "new" Adventure portion of Rothe Valley does not have weekly cap.
    I get that, but when Undermountain was a new campaign it had no weekly cap. I finished it in a weekend on my PC account, and then one day on my main Xbox toon.

I generally have only weekends to play, so even with one toon(now that they've made it difficult to gear up alts with the new rewards system/ad sink) it is difficult to farm the things that need farming(various events) and get thru the campaign. If I could finish the campaign in one weekend it would free the rest of the month for farming currency, stones, etc, and maybe even work towards gearing up an alt or 2 to be effective in the next mod.

On most of my alts, not all, they have every boon point available except EE/UM, and the latest mods. That because the boons are worthless IMHO. You don't notice any change in the toons performance after getting 1, or even 4 boons. My newest alts are basically bank slots, and if I complete boons on them, I only do what I need to to get the boons. Example, with 2x currency event I can buy all the boons on Ravenloft, Chult, Dread Ring, SKT, without ever doing anything in zone. That's as it should be for alts.

I get that, but when Undermountain was a new campaign it had no weekly cap. I finished it in a weekend on my PC account, and then one day on my main Xbox toon.

That was the exact reason why there is now a time cap. You finished a 'new' mod in a weekend.

That was the exact reason why there is now a time cap. You finished a 'new' mod in a weekend.
    The time cap has existed since I started playing in 2018. Undermountain was they last new mod that didn't have one. I liked EE also because of the lack of time cap. However at the time I completed it, it seemed a bit long. But still doable in a weekend.

Why shouldn't I be allowed to finish a new mod in a weekend? The writing is trash, the quests are identical regardless of character class, and they are always repeatable. Undermountain was awesome, in that I could do it on multiple toons in a month or less, I had 4 toons when it came out, and ran all 4 thru right away. Everything since has been garbage. "Gotta keep you logging in everyday" BS, I do that anyhow, as I have 270+ days of VIP remaining, and after the black friday sale I will probably have another 365 on top whatever remains on black friday.

Maybe I have other hobbies, maybe I have other games I wanna play. Maybe, just maybe, I have a job that takes up most of my free time. Being able to plan out that one specific weekend day per week as "Neverwinter day" is a good thing so I can finish a mod on week one, and then on week 2 finish the worthless reworked old dungeon for garbage rewards just to get my completion so I can get back to once a week RAD farming for my ZEN cuz this game is boring AF now and I have nothing to work towards cuz they aren't making new let alone challenging content for end gamers.

Seriously, I can't walk away cuz I'll miss out on something, you know that as well as I do. I've seen many people try and come back after being gone for an extended period and it takes them forever to get back to where they were before or they give up because the game is boring.
    edited October 2022

The time cap has existed since I started playing in 2018. Undermountain was they last new mod that didn't have one. I liked EE also because of the lack of time cap. However at the time I completed it, it seemed a bit long. But still doable in a weekend.

Why shouldn't I be allowed to finish a new mod in a weekend? The writing is trash, the quests are identical regardless of character class, and they are always repeatable. Undermountain was awesome, in that I could do it on multiple toons in a month or less, I had 4 toons when it came out, and ran all 4 thru right away. Everything since has been garbage. "Gotta keep you logging in everyday" BS, I do that anyhow, as I have 270+ days of VIP remaining, and after the black friday sale I will probably have another 365 on top whatever remains on black friday.

Maybe I have other hobbies, maybe I have other games I wanna play. Maybe, just maybe, I have a job that takes up most of my free time. Being able to plan out that one specific weekend day per week as "Neverwinter day" is a good thing so I can finish a mod on week one, and then on week 2 finish the worthless reworked old dungeon for garbage rewards just to get my completion so I can get back to once a week RAD farming for my ZEN cuz this game is boring AF now and I have nothing to work towards cuz they aren't making new let alone challenging content for end gamers.

Seriously, I can't walk away cuz I'll miss out on something, you know that as well as I do. I've seen many people try and come back after being gone for an extended period and it takes them forever to get back to where they were before or they give up because the game is boring.
    Well, EE took a lot of effort to make that bigger than usual content. It took them months to do that and months for the next mod.

It is not about what you like to finish in a weekend. It is about what they want. They want people to stay in game for a longer duration instead of 3 months development for 3 days "attendance". They want N people playing everyday instead of 10N for 3 days and 0 for another 87 days. That is why your quick finish of EE is the exactly reason they put a 'real' time cap or 'virtual' time cap for later mods.

With or without time cap, there is not much to play. I started 2 new characters recently because my other 7 characters completed the campaign long time ago and they don't do Dragonslayer. That 2 new characters completed all the campaigns except Dragonslayer. Completing the campaigns did not take long. I did multiple campaigns at the same time. I got all those boons. What I 'stuck' actually is the adventures which do not have time cap. What I stuck is the "AD bonus time cap". I don't like to earn rAD without AD bonus. So, they are waiting for the invocation to fill that up.

I forgot to mention the original EE had a 'virtual' time gate. One needed to do the same big HE (which could not be solo by a small group) for 100 times to get the weapon (which of course irrelevant now).
    Post edited by plasticbat on

Well, EE took a lot of effort to make that bigger than usual content. It took them months to do that and months for the next mod.

It is not about what you like to finish in a weekend. It is about what they want. They want people to stay in game for a longer duration instead of 3 months development for 3 days "attendance". They want N people playing everyday instead of 10N for 3 days and 0 for another 87 days. That is why your quick finish of EE is the exactly reason they put a 'real' time cap or 'virtual' time cap for later mods.

With or without time cap, there is not much to play. I started 2 new characters recently because my other 7 characters completed the campaign long time ago and they don't do Dragonslayer. That 2 new characters completed all the campaigns except Dragonslayer. Completing the campaigns did not take long. I did multiple campaigns at the same time. I got all those boons. What I 'stuck' actually is the adventures which do not have time cap. What I stuck is the "AD bonus time cap". I don't like to earn rAD without AD bonus. So, they are waiting for the invocation to fill that up.

I forgot to mention the original EE had a 'virtual' time gate. One needed to do the same big HE (which could not be solo by a small group) for 100 times to get the weapon (which of course irrelevant now).
    I wouldn't mind taking longer to complete the content... if it were well written, and I'd happily do it on multiple toons if the story changed, or the quests changed a bit based on my responses. Example the original Baldurs Gate and other infinity engine games of that era. Heck BG3 is only in pre-release(for now) and I'm working on my 3rd play thru for the content that is currently available, and that didn't take a weekend the first time, and won't this 3rd time either. But it's still fun. I've even gone back to the original BG and played that again, and again it was fun.

Neverwinter has lost its fun. Dragonslayer was meh, I finished it on one toon, and still haven't decided if it's worth the effort to farm it for any gear for any of my alts. None of my remaining alts will do any of the campaigns until they become adventures like the others have. Then it'll be worth it, 150k rad(with the invoke bonus) x 8 characters.

Of course they have to fix the issues they caused with the last update so I haven't done a complete round of invocations on all 9 toons. Thank god I only have 9, I'd to be someone that has 50 toons to try and invoke...

Like I said, I'm in game on Xbox everyday, I collect my key, invoke all nine toons once, collect their daily VIP rewards, and right now I do Hellpit. After that I go find some paint to watch dry....