test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Band of Air Changes - Preview Feedback Thread

2»

Comments

• mongol69mongol69 Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    Would someone else confirm if the dooming darkness and airy defender set bonus only procs on a single target at a time untill the last darkness proc or it dies before they can be applied to another target on preview as well.

I'm assuming that the devs intend it to only be effective in single target application then.
  • nevertwinevertwi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 80 Arc User
    mongol69 said:

Would someone else confirm if the dooming darkness and airy defender set bonus only procs on a single target at a time untill the last darkness proc or it dies before they can be applied to another target on preview as well.

I'm assuming that the devs intend it to only be effective in single target application then.

Dooming darkness has an icd of 10s. This icd is target independent. Meaning you will never see dooming darkness applied to 2 or more targets. This is true for the 1s icd of BoA Touch of Wind and the 10s icd of Lingering Darkness too.

Aery Defender is special: It is a spawned unit that will attack every 1-2s once on one nearby enemy. It attacks 5-7 times and then disappears. Like BoA Aery Defender has an icd of 1s too. However, when spawned while another Aery Defender is active, the old Aery Defender disappears. Thus you will still see only 1 attack on a nearby enemy every 1-2s.
  • fritz#8093 fritz Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    So Band of Air is no longer bis for all classes, which makes the promises the devs made a blatant lie unless there is some sort of course correction.
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    You all talk about promise but in blog they explain they decided the ring to be in the line with the other rings like the red eye glare.
    IF They didnt nerf it we wouldnt care about the new rings coming with mod24.

You all talk about promise but in blog they explain they decided the ring to be in the line with the other rings like the red eye glare.

I get it, but bringing it in line doesn't make sense because the difficulty in getting it is not being accounted for. Also I'm pretty sure they said BoA would still be clear bis. And now it's not. So either they lied or they have no clue what they're doing / looking at the wrong data / have a bad testing environment.
  • furryicecubes#8646 furryicecubes Member Posts: 14 Arc User

Then that should have been the statement from the start, rather than Brett continuously stating that it would remain BiS for everyone. Actually, simply fixing the proc issue would have left people still running the new rings for AOE, and remaining on BoA for ST most likely, because the new ring set bonus is aimed at AOE.

The overall problem is that BoA, RoD and QE (set bonus) have not been considered holistically and how they fit onto different classes to ensure that the classes remain balanced and have use of 1, or both rings.
  • mignon#7663 mignon Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    Explaining the whole reason why Band of Air needs a "adjustment" makes sense and the whole idea of a "must have" item. But the nerf in my opinion was too much. I have tested on some classes like barbarian the BOA and ROD both give only 2.8% seperately. If this was 4 - 5%, I would be satisfied. The hundreds of HCVOS runs we had to complete to get these rings were totally unacceptable in the first place. Now to destroy a piece of gear like that leaves a bad taste behind... Increase the magnitude slightly or redesign the ring giving it a +10% dmg buff, which translates to +-5% actual damage if you keep in mind the additive buffs. A +10% damage ring shouldn't be such a big deal since there are such rings already with +10% vs undead/dragons/constructs...
    Maybe BoA will be viewed as failed experiment going forward. Maybe it's one of those things where the devs had to cater to their main audience (casual players) that never stood a chance to get the BoA or weren't willing to take on the grind. But either way similar systems in the future are bound to fail if the reward isn't clearly better than the rest. What's the point getting into HC VoS now? Enhanced drop chances for the rest? I don't think so.

Also RIP to augments on a DPS. Most are probably better off switching to the top striker again because with the BoA nerf the percentages of damage a striker can contribute have shifted dramatically.
  • erevel09erevel09 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    Wow. Just wow.

• hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    While in some ways I understand, it took time to get this ring. But to be so overdepending on it.. Ghez.

All these reacitons is like this is end of game. Players would not be able to do anything..

Have you all forgot that players where clearing content even before Band of Air/Ring of darkness introduction. Also there are players who didnt even bothered to get ring and doing just fine in all game contents.

Perhaps time to quit this panic.
    Neverwinter online is not stat/gear benchmark based rpg game. Gear comes and goes, no big deal here.

========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================

While in some ways I understand, it took time to get this ring. But to be so overdepending on it.. Ghez.

All these reacitons is like this is end of game. Players would not be able to do anything..

Have you all forgot that players where clearing content even before Band of Air/Ring of darkness introduction. Also there are players who didnt even bothered to get ring and doing just fine in all game contents.

Perhaps time to quit this panic.
    Neverwinter online is not stat/gear benchmark based rpg game. Gear comes and goes, no big deal here.

It's about time commitment vs. reward, which is actually one of the biggest things to solve for devs when it comes to player retention. So I'm sorry to say this bluntly, but you're absolutely clueless. You might think it's no big deal for you, but it is for the game, because these overcorrections are simply mismanagement.

The counter to your (non)argument is simple: Would anybody have run HC VoS for this (non-bis and often even worse than bis) version of the Band of Air? No. So if that's the balance they envisioned, HC VoS would have been dead code.

It's not the end of the game, players will still clear content and yes, in like two weeks this thread won't receive any new comments and we'll move on to the next topic to HAMSTER about. But unless you're a jealous hater that never managed to get the BoA there's really nothing to like here in case you understand the underlying issues.

How about we nerf a random class next. Balance comes and goes, no big deal here.
  • hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    Commitment vs reward.

Have you played other rpg mmo games before?? Cuz it's seems you havent. I highly reccomend to try. And latter read your own lines which you just wrote.

Neverwinter online is game which highly overrewarding players for very little commitment. So it's not much of commitment here.

Want to hear what would be commitment here in Neverwinter?

Lostmout set where introduced in mod 5, I farmed [Lostmauth's Horn of Blasting] artefact till mod 9, and when I got it was already useless and it was cheap in AH ( bellow 20k).

In mod 8 where introduced demon lord set( legacy), the Artefact [Shard of Orcus' Wand] I farmed since first month of this set introduction till mod 16. And I did it daily. When I got it, well it was already usless.

It took dedication to farm these two artefacts. Sure I could bought from AH via AD. But I wanted to see how long it would take to do these dungeons till I get them as rewards.

So don't tell me what commitment is.

Band of air concept where to bring players option, either increase stats or gain additional damage.
    It's just like companions, active ones ( heal/dps/cc) vs augment( stat boost).

But due glitch BoA proc from any hit, what was not intended.
    So what happened is rather obvious, players set up their builds around to proc BoA as many times they can.

And here is thing, there where BUG/GLITCH from very start, yet you all chanted it as BiS ring. You simply took advantage of glitch, and created hype.

I think when I was still playing Lineage 2,, due glitch few my clan( guild) members gained few items which where not suposed to be dropped from low lv enemies).
    So instead reporting glitch, they kept farming. Do you know how it all ended? Ban hammer.. There whre no debates that it was accident or etc.

One or two times causing causing glitch can be tolerated, but more than 3 times, that's systematical explotation. That's what kind GM guideless where when comes dealing with players who abused game issues.

Yet here In neverwitner it's seems players try preserve them( glitches). And it's become new normal thing, and when staff finally decide to fix, now players who where so relaying on glitch crying.

In short you all BoA owners brough this on yourself. Instead reporting issue and look for possible solution to make it balanced, you all where happily exploiting this glitch.

Now time to face the consequences.

I like this part:
    But unless you're a jealous hater that never managed to get the BoA there's really nothing to like here in case you understand the underlying issues

I didn't even bothered to get these rings, as long they where broken. Sorry not my style to be relayed on game gliches.
    But once fixed, perhaps I will do farm to get it. All will depent on mood. Also I don't got after stuffs which someones call best in slot. No one can tell me what is best for me, other than myself.
    This game is still action combat based rpg mmo. Not stat/gear benchmarking, as how some try imply.
    This is also reason why players failing content runs, too overrelaying on few items. And forgoting that players where capable clear content even without them.

So I am not Band of Air/Ring of darkness hatter. I just feel pitfull to players who so overrelaying on them. It's almost like they incapable to play game as long there is no broken OP item.
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
    edited September 2022

I didn't even bothered to get these rings, as long they where broken. Sorry not my style to be relayed on game gliches.
    But once fixed, perhaps I will do farm to get it. All will depent on mood. Also I don't got after stuffs which someones call best in slot. No one can tell me what is best for me, other than myself.
    This game is still action combat based rpg mmo. Not stat/gear benchmarking, as how some try imply.
    This is also reason why players failing content runs, too overrelaying on few items. And forgoting that players where capable clear content even without them.

Oh yeah c'mon now. You sound like those crazy legit channel members back in the day who didn't want to use certain stuff and run certain content unless there was an official word that it's not broken (hint: usually an official word would come... never). So your take is that all BoA-players are essentially bugusers... Yeah you're a hater, also indicated by the sheer amount of posts you're dedicating to this topic. It might not be your style to go after the new shiny stuff, sure, but you're way too unreasonable and fierce.

Looking at the timeline of the BoA you can't just stand there and put all the blame on the players. The ring was overpowered, whatever, that's not the issue. The concept of the Band of Air was never an additional option. Or maybe it has been, but it wasn't communicated until recently, way too late as per usual. And now the ring isn't even an option, it's useless for most of the DPS classes. So what you're saying makes no sense, you just blindly repeat what the devs stated in their blog.

Literally nobody is afraid they're unable to master the game without BoA, but it's only natural to go after the best build which included BoA for a while. Even worse, HC VoS was marketed as a major content addition for the endgame community. And now it's our fault we went after BoA? Are we allowed to do the latest campaign or is this elitist? I'm confused now.
    Post edited by fritz#8093 on
  • mignon#7663 mignon Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    BOA was said to be BIS for most classes/builds. But sadly its not BIS for anybody it seems