test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Patch Brief: NW.275.20220901b.1

terramakterramak Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 991 Cryptic Developer
Heya folks,

Okay, yeah, I know it's like two days after the previous Preview update, but this one's got a version update that actually pertains to new content!

I'm not going deep into the specific changes in here, but here's the high level of what you can expect to see on our public test shards as of today's update, NW.275.20220901b.1! More detail will likely be available early next week, when developers post threads for feedback on various features.

(Content) New Adventure Zone: Northdark Reaches
A new adventure zone taking place in the Underdark, alongside a new quest line and campaign. This includes much of what you see with each zone, including new enemies, instances, and more.

(Graphics) New Lighting System (New zone only)
Our new zone takes advantage of certain lighting features that have been added to our engine over the past few years. This should hopefully give the zone some extra flair, while also maintaining or improving our usual performance.

(User Interface) Home Page Update
We've taken another pass at improving our Home Page to keep it relevant and interesting.

(User Interface) Inventory Update
A huge Quality of Life pass has been done on the inventory system, with some new elements that allow various functionality.
  • Main inventory: Inventory search and filters, top bar.
  • Gear icon > Bag Management: Rename bags, reorder bags, replace existing bags with other bags, and set preferred bags for certain item categories.
  • Vanity Pets: Summon / unsummon pets by moving them to and from the slot at the top of this pane, rather than double-clicking.
  • Useful Items: Usable Useful Items now have their own category at the top.
There's more, but the folks who worked on this will be able to better be able to break down the changes.

(Combat) Wizard Balance and Bug Fixes
Various issues have been resolved, and some values have been changed, which should lead to the Wizard class being closer to other classes in viability than prior modules.

More to come! Enjoy the first look at our next module.

Comments

• terramakterramak Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 991 Cryptic Developer
    Broken Stuff Alert: You may be unable to play some (or even all) of your characters on the public test shards due to a bug in this build. They'll be playable next build, but for now, creating a new character or copying a character from the live shard should still allow you to hop in and play.
  • fritz#8093 fritz Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    terramak said:

Various issues have been resolved, and some values have been changed, which should lead to the Wizard class being closer to other classes in viability than prior modules.

I've not compared all the numbers (magnitude, cooldowns etc.), but the main Arcanist powers seem unchanged.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    Gear icon > Bag Management: Rename bags, reorder bags, replace existing bags with other bags, and set preferred bags for certain item categories.

Oh, heck yes!

Amazing. Before reading this I was in Mantol-Derith and was thinking, "man, the Underdark map is woefully underutilized." It's great to see that we'll be returning!
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • theelusiveone#4954 theelusiveone Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    @terramak Is the plan to expand the new lighting system to all of Neverwinter or will it just be used in new areas going forward?
    Kevfire
    Guild Leader
    Neverwinter SOLO Alliance
  • stof#3099 stof Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    It is possible to add the new gear to the previous store in the wondrous bazar so we can test it and provide feedback if necessary ( in case some bonus is broken and doesnt work)
  • gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User

terramak said:

I've not compared all the numbers (magnitude, cooldowns etc.), but the main Arcanist powers seem unchanged.
    I compared all Powers, Class features, Feat, (For Arcanist and Thaumaturege) etc. and I don't see any change too.
    “He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
  • finality999#7648 finality999 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Wizards should rock the world.

No class: barbarian, rogue, pally, cleric, warlock, ranger, etc, can drop a fireball in a room and AoE immolate everything to ash. Give the sorcerers supreme back their might. We are called glass canons for a reason, 1D4 per level for hit points, but awesome raw energy damage. Read some of Ed Greenwood's Elminster novels, you'll get the point. If you have not read them, why not? He was the creator of Forgotten Realms and one of your biggest sources of history and game design.

I play this game to see the special effects of the magic users in the game, I will never play a melee class nor boring healer types. Every single computer game for 30 plus years I've always been a mage, wizard, sorcerer (or witch) always. The special effects are what I enjoy, wow me Cryptic. See if you can compare to Blizzard's Diablo 3 sorcerer's effects, or the effects in warcraft from their mage's castings, or the Elder Scroll's caster's effects. Make the bloody targeting system work too please. Since I began playing May 2021, it still does not work. I honestly have little confidence in seeing anything that will entice me to continue here.

Do something stunning and visually mind blowing! My MSI Stealth G66 has the RTX3080 nVidia graphics card in it when I bought it last year, I thought I would see some fantastic graphics effects, no, totally disappointed.........

I have given a couple of reviews on Neverwinter, all I can say is excellent artwork, and detail to real D&D/AD&D tabletop game imaginations. Good details in the creatures faces, bodies, colors, scales and the lighting, shading, even their motion from walking, running, hopping, charging, from the Monster Manual, Feind Folio, Deities & Demigods source books. But actual execution of combat. NO comment.

My main is an Arcanist wizard, she has gone through tons of zen paid for gear and upgrades. It seems that was the only way to get to a point where common adventuring was the quality of playing in tabletop, level 20 with all those goodies, I should wipe most trash in any zone in one shot. Attention: team creators, game content advisors, community management members, designers - well any character at level 20 cruising through older content, for example "Temple of The Spider" dungeon, that was what, 5 years ago? more? equal to level 60 then, which is 15 now, I should be able to cake walk that dungeon solo and one-shot everything including the bosses with iLevel 80,000 plus, but no I struggle and barely manage it solo after 25 minutes, because someone who has never played a D&D game for real, reduced my character's iLevel to make me need a party to do this dungeon. That is really messed up and wrong.

I won't hold my breath on Neverwinter, I'd just end up suffocating and be a corpse at my laptop's keyboard. Last year when the Bard class was introduced, my banking alt ranger has everyday been informed to equip a weapon when logging in, she has a weapon, both ranged and melee, but the glitch is still there. Too many bugs, too many fluffy things to try and chase after and no focused repairs to the core of what counts.

Balancing classes so that every class is 98% the same in damaging as every other is not what Dungeon's & Dragon's gaming was ever about. Any core player can tell you that. Every class has its strengths and weaknesses. A fighter type would never enter the hall of a mindflayer enclave, he would be dinner, but a cleric or mage would because they could dish out the magic that could destroy the illithids. On the other hand, those same melee knuckle draggers would have no issues squashing a host of giants accompanied by a herd of goblins and orcs because they are all going to be pummeled in a good ol' slobber knocker of a fight slashed to bits by that vorpal blade the fighter has.

How you decide to rebuild a class, Wizard or whatever you are tinkering with is up to you, how its play executes code wise in the end with us decides if we want to keep being here.

Thank you for your attention, I hope that some great changes do appear, I have been waiting some time for much needed new spells that actually merc my targets without having to run away from said targets because my wand was cracking apart during the casting.....

Finality
  • pelgraxpelgrax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 479 Arc User
    How about the one QoL that will make an actual bit of difference .

FIX the slider that allows multiple sales of items through the vendor .
    The option is THERE , it just DOESN'T work .
    Open the vendor and then hold CTRL and right click the item to be sold . The slider comes up but doesn't allow you to increase it past 1 item .

I remember when we had issues with the sliders not allowing multiple purchases previously and it was fixed after enough people complained , so why is this not functional ?

This would be a lot more use to me ( and most assuredly many others ) than being able to decide in which bag and where I want jewels / RP / items to be placed .
  • taugnedtaugned Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 11 Arc User
    Give the WIzard one at will power that can proc all these 10 % of your maximum Hit Point effects. All other DPS classes beside Warlock have at least one at will power with enough magnitude.