test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Merchant Prince's Folly Skirmish, goes overboard on # of enemy that spawn...

strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
edited September 2022 in Player Feedback (PC)

Here you don't even size 20% of the enemy around me and another, this was also after having taken several out, after countless times dying. Granted I know that it helps if you more quickly spawn the Guard's, yet this is afterward, and while also building the gates faster helps too, just the raw # of enemy is a bit too much.

Still I've often seen many greatly overwhelmed by this, I'd say they should 'tone' it down a bit by 25-35% in the # of enemy that spawn; my gut says could even use a reduction of 50%, but doubt they'd do that.

I'll try to get a better picture showing just the vast # of enemy that are shown here...

Comments

• stryker80#0653 stryker80 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    This skirmish is especially bad when it spawns the little dino-riding goblins in droves, practically covering the arena with those long red charge-lines.
  • jana#2651 jana Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    They shouldn't be so overwhelming anywhere that there is no chance.
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    I agree it can be overwhelming especially if the players dont kill the spawners first in the variant they are playing. if there are Shamen, Beast Handlers etc and they spawn mobs you have to take them down quickly or you get overwhelmed and die super fast.

With the rise of newer players it can be harder to explain that they need to kill the spawners, and with RSQ sometimes being 5 dps it can be a tough ride.

I quite enjoy the challenge with a well co-ordinated party, but with a pug it can often be a fail. Good post though.
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    The problem is not the massive number of enemies, the problem is how hard they hit. Even if you avoid combat advantage (and they try to surround you all time), they delete your shield in 2-3 hits. even with a machine gun healer, is impossible to stay up.

You need also dps using hard CC like smoke bomb or Oppressive Force for the initial pull.

In short, all the team must be very good to do it without deaths.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    edited September 2022

The issue is probably same as always.. Some hot headed guys rush in high group of enemies, try wipe with one or two hits, fails, then come here and complain.

Not mentioned all builds now are kind of glass canons. While have high dps, you also are vunrable. So you need to be aware of enemies. Enemies gains CA against you means you get killed easily. Also if enemies hit crit also means you will not live long.

Each class have ability which can CC enemies. Time to put in use them. THey are not added just to view.:)

There is said. Best CC is fast killing, that's true. But there is also said that you can do damage as long you are alive.. :)
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User
    I humbly disagree @hadestemplar#9918 with the first statement, but agree with your others.

I don't think it is the same issue as always. While you can rush in and die quickly, this skirmish seems to have changed a bit "recently" with the number of adds that spawn. I agree that it is best to be coordinated with attacks/CC/heals, but several years ago, this particular skirmish didn't seem to work the same as it is working now. It's almost as if the same amount of mobs are spawning, but all front loaded. I say that because once you take the engineer beyond the barricades, there are maybe two sets of mobs to defeat and, if lucky, no tyrant lizard. I thought i remembered more mobs being outside the barricades in previous versions. At least I remember having more of a struggle outside than inside. Now the struggle is inside, not outside.

It very well could be the glass cannon issue though.

I do like your last statement --"you can only do damage as long as you live." :) Tacking on a few defensive enchants or other changes to defense might be advisable.
  • stryker80#0653 stryker80 Member Posts: 131 Arc User

The issue is probably same as always.. Some hot headed guys rush in high group of enemies, try wipe with one or two hits, fails, then come here and complain.

Not mentioned all builds now are kind of glass canons. While have high dps, you also are vunrable. So you need to be aware of enemies. Enemies gains CA against you means you get killed easily. Also if enemies hit crit also means you will not live long.

Each class have ability which can CC enemies. Time to put in use them. THey are not added just to view.:)

There is said. Best CC is fast killing, that's true. But there is also said that you can do damage as long you are alive.. :)

Some good advice there, but still, this particular skirmish does have some tuning issues. Specifically, the number of mobs and the force with which they hit in the first phase.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    One thing that changed in this skirmish is that the barricade guards get killed by the mobs. Presumably this is from the change made around mod 19 allowing NPC guards to deal more damage but at the same time, some previously invulnerable guards now get killed (River District is a good spot to observe this with the announcer NPCs getting murdered by dryads) Originally, when a barricade was complete, the flow of mobs slowed down. Now it doesn't. Also the combat changes made mob CA a big issue with weak mobs becoming deadly in large numbers.

There is a huge difference in the difficulty of Yuan Ti and Undead who are manageable versus the Batiri who are mich deadlier. No Revive Reapers with Batiri is almost comedy in how painful it can get.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    May be this is the way they give back some value to the wizard which was control wizard which was very useful/powerful/needed in the early mods because of their 'control'. Just a thought. I can very well be overthinking.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • krevgkrevg Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    Just wondering, but I assume you are speaking if RC MPF and not normal MPF? Normal has always been very manageable. RC is very manageable if the group works together. A little CC goes a long way. I would suggest trying to work together and use CC skills if the mobs seem out of control. The only time I've seen real issues is when a party separates and doesn't work together.

And back to my original question of is it normal MPF or RC MPF, RC is supposed to be much more challenging, and it is.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Normal is manageable with a premade or several decent players. It is not so good with PUGs. Last time I got in solo queuing into RSQ for the battle pass, someone quit before we even left the Prince's office.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User
    Controlling the mobs is definitely one of the best methods for getting through the first phase, especially with the latest 'tuning' that causes a significant number of mobs to overwhelm guards and adventurers. It is sad that Control Wizards have far less control than rogues or even the significantly reduced control aspect of the hunter Ranger class with their roots.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    I admit it does help if more classes in this skirmish use AoE powers for the mobs, just really surprised more don't...
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    strathkin said:

I admit it does help if more classes in this skirmish use AoE powers for the mobs, just really surprised more don't...

Hmmm! For all skirmish, all classes should use AoE if not AoE only. There is not much single target in skirmish.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • krevgkrevg Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    Ok, I withdraw my previous comment. I had a chance to run MPF today, normal skirmish, not RC, and the adds are smoking something serious. The movement and spawn rates were both off the chart. I've been running MPF since it first launched, seen the many changes over the years, and this is NOT NORMAL, or acceptable. I got through it by being a TR today, and lots of dodging while running Path of the Blade on tab for CA, but I can see how most people would be eaten alive by these insane swarms. This issue should be escalated. I will add, we had the Batiri swarms, not the undead.
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    krevg said:

Ok, I withdraw my previous comment. I had a chance to run MPF today, normal skirmish, not RC, and the adds are smoking something serious. The movement and spawn rates were both off the chart. I've been running MPF since it first launched, seen the many changes over the years, and this is NOT NORMAL, or acceptable. I got through it by being a TR today, and lots of dodging while running Path of the Blade on tab for CA, but I can see how most people would be eaten alive by these insane swarms. This issue should be escalated. I will add, we had the Batiri swarms, not the undead.

I think the Batiri version is the hardest as they have 2 or maybe even 3 spawners, if you dont roast them FAST you are doomed