test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dragons hunt and combat rant

so i've been fighting these Dragons on melee and i can't reach/get to the Dragon to deal damage most of the time and i fight with ranged dps that i would normally match in dps output are doubling even tripling my dps in Dragons cause i can't even reach the Dragons. i've also notice in the last month or so that i have been having trouple getting hits out that deal any damage to anything. ex is i was in a dungeon today and i faced a entire group of mobs solo so i did path of blades stealth smoke bombed dodged out then back in and used blade flurry and during the entire time smoke bomb was going i was doing next to no damage to them. when smoke bomb ended i died to mobs that would have been normally wiped out like they were nothing. now do keep in mind i'm a HDPS rogue with a BOA on

Comments

• fritz#8093 fritz Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    Melees seem to have a harder time most of the times although there are annoying dragons for all types of DPS. My biggest gripe with dragons is that most "mechanics" are annoying at best. The ones you can anticipate are pretty meh and the most dangerous ones are powerful solely because you often can't avoid them. There's little skill involved. You just pull through and on some dragons hope luck doesn't turn against you.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,217 Arc User
    edited August 2022
    In some situation, range does better. In some situation, melee does better. In some situation, AOE does better. In some situation, single target does better. As long as it got the job done, what is your point? Rogue has range too, btw.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • johnalansimmonsjohnalansimmons Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 33 Arc User
    I love the dragon hunts, but then I play them as a tank and never have a problem reaching them =)
  • aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User
    I play a rogue most often.
    I admit that I am confused by your post, so please accept my apology if I misunderstand your first line of Fighting Dragons, and then your example of Fighting Mobs.
    The three attacks you listed are all AoE attacks. I would never, and have never, used them on dragon hunts. They don't do enough damage to a single "boss" to warrant using them in that situation. Especially with the amount of times I have had the dragon follow someone (not usually me) out of the smoke bomb initial radius. It would have wasted most of the damage and I don't believe the secondary effect works on dragons--but since I don't use it, I am not certain.

I use the 'boss fight' attacks (single target) on dragons, and with stealth, I don't have an issue fighting or getting close to a dragon. I don't have BoA, and I kill adult dragons by myself (not on purpose, but when the other two die and can't rejoin, I ask if they want me to finish it instead of restart). I do not consider myself end game with my current level, and I have never tried to kill an ancient dragon by myself--I don't think I could. But even with ancient dragons, I can still get into melee positions easily enough.

If your example was a basic or epic dungeon and you were just clearing mobs, with BoA and your listed attacks, I am surprised that you died. I rarely need two rotations to kill mobs in the dungeons--but I still find smoke bomb to be very situational and use it only to help other people in the party survive massive pulls of mobs. Do you used it because it procs BoA? Did the ring get a stealth nerf on that attack? (since i don't have it, I wouldn't know)

Maybe some of the other rogues will comment and help--but I haven't noticed any recent nerfs to my attacks.
  • madness#3014 madness Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    @aslan3775 for Dragons i am using single target but the Dragon kept through me across the map or the Dragons had me on my back for most of the time but the Dragons seem to not be spamming knock backs atm. now the aoe on was in T.O.N.G. dungeon, I went through my entire rotation and my damage just tickled their health
  • finmakinfinmakin Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    View from a tank.

Normally I adjust my tanking positioning to give melee DPS room to do their things...
    Things are changing when a melee DPS with a BoA (which has to be fixed due procs over procs, which produces a insane amount of damage and causing a tank to lose aggro) who cannot hold themselfes when they see that their aggro is increasing too fast.

note.
    I have a Barb friend with an insane DPS output (even without BoA).. He is one of the very few players i know who keep a eye on his DPS meter and backing off a few seconds to reset his aggro meter when its needed..

As for melee DPS (like the opener) (with blindfolds) a tank have two options.
    1. Move Dragon in spot so Melee cannot hit the Dragon without dying (as stated by the opener).
    2. Keep moving Dragon around (especially when you see the burst animation) because no hits results in no Procs (and a blamage on the paingivers Bible list)..

Ogguk The Beholder… Justicar Paladin Tank/ Healer
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    It's getting so bad that my alts have trouble doing Adult Dragons.