test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why is the shard maintenance starting at 7:00 am when certain events end at 7:30 am?

jana#2651 jana Member Posts: 594 Arc User
That strikes me as really weird. The double professions and tradebar discounts all end tomorrow at 7:30. So why dont you time your shard maintenance to start at 7:30? Or some other day. That seems really inconsiderate to not consider that it ends then but oh we are shutting the site at 7:oo anyway.

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    Maintenance is the same time every week, unless holidays or other reasons cause it to shift.

New mods always drop on a Tuesday.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • jana#2651 jana Member Posts: 594 Arc User
    I think they should shift it to the end of the event to be fair to people who might think they have 30 minutes left at 7:00 AM but whoops shard maintenance is happening. At least they should be real and say though the event is suppose to end at 7:30 you wont be able to get on after 7:00, so thats really when it ends.
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    jana#2651 said:

That strikes me as really weird. The double professions and tradebar discounts all end tomorrow at 7:30. So why dont you time your shard maintenance to start at 7:30? Or some other day. That seems really inconsiderate to not consider that it ends then but oh we are shutting the site at 7:oo anyway.

They have to do maintenance before the end of an event to be able to set up the next event before it is scheduled to start. If there are no patch notes or patching you may be able to get a few minutes of play at the end of the event.
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    jana#2651 said:

I think they should shift it to the end of the event to be fair to people who might think they have 30 minutes left at 7:00 AM but whoops shard maintenance is happening. At least they should be real and say though the event is suppose to end at 7:30 you wont be able to get on after 7:00, so thats really when it ends.

Your way starts the event 4 hours later than the way the programmers do it now. Lose 4 hours at the front end (your way) or losr 4 hours at the end of the event (programmers way).
    And once upon a time they tried to adjust it, having the events start at reset+7 hours. Only to eventually revert to the current.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    How does my way start the event four hours later? This forum is like an alternate reality sometime. What I said is either say the event ends at 7:00 a.m. if they are going to do shard maintenance at 7:00 or do it at 7:30 so they are telling the truth and no one is annoyed. Where four hours flew in here is mystifying. Is the truth being important really dissolving???
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    jana#2651 said:

How does my way start the event four hours later? This forum is like an alternate reality sometime. What I said is either say the event ends at 7:00 a.m. if they are going to do shard maintenance at 7:00 or do it at 7:30 so they are telling the truth and no one is annoyed. Where four hours flew in here is mystifying. Is the truth being important really dissolving???

Before when events started after maintenance, instead of during, events would start at 11am, even if maintenance was done early...that's were the 4 hours is coming from. Usually maintenance is needed to 'change the scene' for events. This might be because if they have the event end right at 7am, those in Protectors Enclave may be forced to out of the game due to errors or what not from all the changes. They could also have the next event loaded in the new patch. Doing the swap during maintenance is just the best way to smooth things out for the player. It's honestly up to the player to notice the maintenance warnings that show up and finish up whatever they need to.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    jana#2651 said:

It is pretty simple. If the maintenance takes N hours, that N hours is lost somewhere. In this example, N=4.
    Options:
    1. N hours before the event ends. (early in the morning in PST)
    2. Delay the beginning the of the next event for N hours (late morning and/or afternoon in PST).
    3. N hours in other random time.

Cryptic considers #1 has least disruption for American market.

No idea which time zone your 7am is. Also, no idea what your 'certain event' (that starts at your 7:30am) is.
    Most event starts/ends hours after the maintenance starts. Can you give an example of your 'certain event'?
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    It was the double professions event they said would end at 7:30 am, but since maintenance began at 7:00 am would end sooner, since you can't get on during maintenance' I believe most events are like that, and it is NOT up to the players to do anything but believe what they are being told-for Arazith. It wasn't a problem for me, but I could picture someone getting up extra early so they could play for an hour before going to work and how unfair that would be for them. I am at Pacific time.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    jana#2651 said:

It was the double professions event they said would end at 7:30 am, but since maintenance began at 7:00 am would end sooner, since you can't get on during maintenance' I believe most events are like that, and it is NOT up to the players to do anything but believe what they are being told-for Arazith. It wasn't a problem for me, but I could picture someone getting up extra early so they could play for an hour before going to work and how unfair that would be for them. I am at Pacific time.

Yes most events are like that, and most of the time we know that there will be maintenance well before it actually happens. Players ARE being told this information. If they choose not to read information that is in plain sight, it's on the player.
    Players are being told the event ends at 7:30 and they are also told shard maintenance will be at 7:00, I think it is one the developers to make it clear and accurate.
    jana#2651 said:

Players are being told the event ends at 7:30 and they are also told shard maintenance will be at 7:00, I think it is one the developers to make it clear and accurate.

The easiest thing for the players to do is assume that the event ends when maintenance starts.