test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

This is so hard!

drak#0734 drak Member Posts: 1 Arc User
I can't get past the illithid labs on 3 out of 5 characters. I was able to complete the quest with my fighter and cleric. My paladin, rouge, and wizard die before I can poison the birthing pools. I should have been able to do it since I used my healing potions and stones. I used up my resurection scrolls, too. I'm about to quit and find an easier game. I feel I spent enough money on the game and can't justify the expense for being a casual player who gets on when I can.

Any suggestions for me?

Comments

• kendaricvkendaricv Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    It could be an issue with not having enough/good enough companions or mounts in your stable, wrong stats on gear/enchantments, etc. Without knowing more about the character(s), it's mostly just a guess on my part.
    It could also be an issue with mob density, since you can easily trigger another group while still battling the first one.

That being said, I had a lot of problems there with my bard as well.
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    I'm a newer player (11 days) and made it through that part with my Warlock without too many issues.

Maybe get some cheap mounts/companions off the exchange for the extra bolster.
  • masteryoda#6623 masteryoda Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    My go to when running any new character is eye of the giant with pegasus mount and soul shield for fast mob wipes and a free revive is effective on every class iv used it on so far, otherwise when I first started out playing staff off flowers was a god send at the time so yeah I'd recommend getting yourself a decent unbound artifact to make it easy otherwise you just have to learn what works best for each individual character something I can give advice on without more information about them
  • starrlight#7491 starrlight Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    For paladin, or really any class, running content with mobs is way easier if you have a stun or two on hand! Burning light is huge for me, especially running solo. That + bane + nearly always having my shield up (in between attacks) is how I tend to deal with a lot of enemies around. There's companions and artifacts, etc, that can help too - sigil of the paladin is nice when you get into a bind with it's heal + damage mitigation, and either a healing companion or a stunning companion might help as well.

I definitely prefer to run content with at least one other person (usually a dps), neverwinter is a harder game than a lot of others to do solo while leveling! Trying to avoid pulling too many groups by placing yourself carefully is another biggie, but isn't always possible. I hope you are able to get through!
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    It is a year since the last time I was in that location, but yes - there is a lot of "jump" damage. A lot of creatures that can suddenly overwhelm you. Part of it is caused by Cryptic messing up with the aggro radius - they did not want people just to pass around, so it ended up with many groups mobbing you at once.
    The core issue is you have to avoid fighting more than one group at time.

Rogue is an easy fix - learn to play with Smokebomb, master the stealth. It takes time to understand how things work, but you can always cast Path of blades, go stealth, sidestep the jumping intellect devourers and cast Smokebomb just before the stealth expires. That usually gives you the edge.

For wizard, go for Arcanist - he has Steal the time. Generally CC is the key there. So, again, dodge the first jump (do not jump towards another group!), lift the strongest monster (or the one which gives invulnerability to the rest of the group) to the air (Entangle), cast Ice floor, then Steal the time... Prefer elimination of one monster rather than damaging two.

Pally does not have fast CC, which is bad. Generally, you have to survive the jump and Bane the whole group into oblivion. No fun with this one.

I have not checked the market, but there used to be a pretty cheap green companion "Intellect Devourer". Get it, no need to upgrade it. Once summoned it stuns mobs... a lot. As well, "Abyssal Chicken" has an effect similar to the Smokebomb. Those two companions do not do much damage nowadays, but still, once in a while, can create a temporary breathing room for you to consolidate your posture or get your powers out of the cool-down.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    I would say that quest is not hard at all for any class. I don't recall where the hard part was. No scroll and health stone should be needed. In addition, one could do that with least fighting if one could see the mob's moving pattern. I play 7 classes. I personally always not like to fight unless I have to. It is not about my character cannot do the job but more about do not want to waste time.

Last time I send an alt character there, I noticed it was easier than it used to be.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    drak#0734 said:

I can't get past the illithid labs on 3 out of 5 characters. I was able to complete the quest with my fighter and cleric. My paladin, rouge, and wizard die before I can poison the birthing pools. I should have been able to do it since I used my healing potions and stones. I used up my resurection scrolls, too. I'm about to quit and find an easier game. I feel I spent enough money on the game and can't justify the expense for being a casual player who gets on when I can.

Any suggestions for me?

Just out of curiosity and context is you Paladin, Rogue and Wizard closer to 5k IL or 50k IL?
  • jana#2651 jana Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    What is the point of telling someone the quest is not hard for any class and you dont need stones or potions when they do and obviously for them it is.? How is that going to help, though I am sure it took a load off knowing it was easy for you.
    edited July 2022
    jana#2651 said:

What is the point of telling someone the quest is not hard for any class and you dont need stones or potions when they do and obviously for them it is.? How is that going to help, though I am sure it took a load off knowing it was easy for you.

No idea how to help and what exactly he/she is missing. It basically can be gone through without any skill for any class. If they do need stone, it means there is something fundamentally wrong/missing.

If anyone starts from nothing and follow the quests to get the equipment before getting to that area, it should not be a problem for any class. That is a very simple quest.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    The trick is to find a pool where no patrols are. The Ustilagor mobs are overpowered everywhere they appear in the game. If you get jumped by them unaware, then it will be very rough. Just fighting the normal guardians shouldn't be too hard. Hit them before they aggro if possible, use stuns as well.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

jana#2651 said:

No idea how to help and what exactly he/she is missing. It basically can be gone through without any skill for any class. If they do need stone, it means there is something fundamentally wrong/missing.

If anyone starts from nothing and follow the quests to get the equipment before getting to that area, it should not be a problem for any class. That is a very simple quest.
    To be fair Ive just completed [or NOT as the case may be] some older Adventure lines and bits and pieces and I used healing pots or stones in certain areas on my barbie who has had no love for years.

Admittedly I havent played a barbie for years so I may be rusty and my setup my be rubbish.

BUT

My experience is that some larger mob groups , say 6 mobs, I can take down 3 easy but the other three take some time, and if I attract the attention of another group of mobs its very painful.

So yeah, technique, positioning, thinking about the mob groups, which mob to take down first becomes much more important in some areas of the game. And also having a companion who doesnt insist on dragging whole groups to where your toon is standing helps a lot as well.

I used to use augment even before they were fashionable a few years back JUST to avoid agggroing too many mobs. That may be helpful :smile:
    edited July 2022

jana#2651 said:

To be fair Ive just completed [or NOT as the case may be] some older Adventure lines and bits and pieces and I used healing pots or stones in certain areas on my barbie who has had no love for years.

Admittedly I havent played a barbie for years so I may be rusty and my setup my be rubbish.

BUT

My experience is that some larger mob groups , say 6 mobs, I can take down 3 easy but the other three take some time, and if I attract the attention of another group of mobs its very painful.

So yeah, technique, positioning, thinking about the mob groups, which mob to take down first becomes much more important in some areas of the game. And also having a companion who doesnt insist on dragging whole groups to where your toon is standing helps a lot as well.

I used to use augment even before they were fashionable a few years back JUST to avoid agggroing too many mobs. That may be helpful :smile:
    Since I don't want to play Dragonslayer, I happened choose to play a new class (for me) for this "down time", a fighter. I basically had no clue how to play one. In the process, I learned that fighter can block and do at will, vengeance meter, etc. They were all new to me although I have played since mod 3. I use whatever the game gave me to equip. I did not pick up all the goodies from his brothers/sisters. I did not spend any AD to buy anything. I keep forgetting blocking. I did not know how to use daily effectively. I just want to describe how bad a fighter I am.

Anyway, I happened to go to the 'lab' last night. There was only one mob in the pool. I think there were 9 enemies. I thought that would be tough (based on the stuff said in this thread). I engaged and cleaned that up in no time. No health potion. I did not even need to kite. Then, I realized I forgot to pick up the poison. Went back, picked that up, poisoned the pool and went back to the quest giver.

Since OP had no problem with fighter, my experience last night is not really relevant.