test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Far ranged attack won’t proc BoA

agoraotro#4630 agoraotro Member Posts: 69 Arc User
Bug found By Darkhouse and posted on Wizard discord channels.

Ranged attacks of approximately 50’ will not proc Band of Air ring.

This is a huge drawback for us Wizards. Needs confirmation whether it may affect other ranged classes.

Comments

• mrimsogoodmrimsogood Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    I think someone on Reddit confirmed that it was limited on their ranger
  • d4rkh0rs3d4rkh0rs3 Member Posts: 382 Arc User

I think someone on Reddit confirmed that it was limited on their ranger

Aimed Shot cannot proc Band of Air beyond 50'

I cannot get Band of Air to proc beyond 50' on my Wizard.

If anyone else wants to test other classes, they're more than welcome to; however, as of right now, I'm estimating the max proc range of Band of Air at 50'.
    I broke down and tested on SW. As expected, it's not class-dependent. It's likely not ability-dependent. After ~50', BoA stops procing.

Sad thing is they if they do decide to "fix" it it'll be a another year and they either break to where certain powers won't procs it and/or nerf the damage into the ground
    Maybe. The range needs to be fixed, but I would also be interested in a higher internal cooldown on it. For balance across classes, five seconds makes sense. This also protects the item from being overtuned through itemization, such as the Mythallar set and Rogue’s Path of the Blade encounter. The higher internal cooldown also balances out classes that are able to attack more frequently than others, resulting in having the ability to more effectively utilize Band of Air.

I’m going to get burned at the stake for saying all this…

Band of Air does approximately 17-20% of the TOTAL single target DPS of many classes, and as such is the single highest contributor to overall damage output. In my opinion, that’s overturned for a single item hidden behind layers of RNG that is also generally accepted as a requirement to play the latest content, Crown of Keldegonn, as a DPS.
    d4rkh0rs3 said:

Maybe. The range needs to be fixed, but I would also be interested in a higher internal cooldown on it. For balance across classes, five seconds makes sense. This also protects the item from being overtuned through itemization, such as the Mythallar set and Rogue’s Path of the Blade encounter. The higher internal cooldown also balances out classes that are able to attack more frequently than others, resulting in having the ability to more effectively utilize Band of Air.

I’m going to get burned at the stake for saying all this…

Band of Air does approximately 17-20% of the TOTAL single target DPS of many classes, and as such is the single highest contributor to overall damage output. In my opinion, that’s overturned for a single item hidden behind layers of RNG that is also generally accepted as a requirement to play the latest content, Crown of Keldegonn, as a DPS.

Are you on drugs?
    You want a longer internal cooldown on a already 10% chance to proc on top of the RNG and grinding it takes to get the reagents on top of actually getting to the bosses and completing the dungeon.
    You the 'F' cares if it's 17-20% of a DPS's damage, they earned it with what it takes to get it.
    If the DEvs listen to ppl like you, this game would be dead within a year, if not sooner
    - We are allowed to have a different opinions without being on drugs. Let’s have a respectful and productive conversation.

- 10% chance to proc is more than adequate, especially with classes that are able to hit multiple times per second. I have many logs across a variety of content, including endgame Trials, that demonstrate the number of Band of Air procs across DPS classes. Do you know on average how many times per second BoA can proc today? I do. For example, A 5 second internal cooldown would be approximately a 50% nerf to a Rogue’s Touch of Wind damage, making it account for 8-10% of their total damage rather than 17-20%. That’s still a lot of damage from a single item.

- The RNG it takes to get the reagents is a non-sequitur. Streak breaker mechanics specifically for said reagents were addressed by Neverwinter Executive Producer Brett Norton in the latest stream.

- Just because you ‘earned’ something doesn’t mean it should never be balanced. If you were around or recall, Band of Air was already changed from when it was first released where it did even MORE damage than it does now.

- A bigger threat to “the game being dead in a year” comes from trivialized, unchallenging content stemming from overpowered mechanics that result in nerfed chest drops/poor rewards due to how quickly groups can burn through content.
    Hard to having a respectful and productive convo when someone is always trying to get something nerfed.
    So now adding a 5s interval to 1 item because one class can multi proc it, but what about the classes that can't?
    What you're trying to do is just add on more RNG, you're idea of "balance" is just cringe.
    If you're hellbent on adding a 5s interval then remove the 10% chance and give a guarantee proc every 5s
    A class can't multi-proc Band of Air as it has a one second internal cooldown today.

My idea of balance is:
    (A) Normalizing Band of Air procs across faster and slower attacking classes, classes with and without DoTs, etc.
    (B) Reducing its damage either by magnitude and/or cooldown.

Here is a Rogue from a Crown of Keldegonn Trial today from Phase 2+ where 22% of all the damage dealt was purely from Band of Air (Touch of Wind). Yes, I do not feel 22% of a character's damage should come from one item gated behind layers of RNG:

Same run. Wizard showing 20% of total damage coming from Band of Air and it being the #1 source of damage:

Same run. Ranger showing 15% of total damage coming from Band of Air and it being the #1 source of damage:

I hope this data at least illustrates the damage Band of Air deals is overtuned.

I also hope you will trust that I know what I'm talking about when I say some classes are capable of proc'ing Band of Air more frequently and more consistently than others, and the reason that is a problem is because Band of Air such a significant source of overall damage across all classes.

d4rkh0rs3 said:

A class can't multi-proc Band of Air as it has a one second internal cooldown today.

My idea of balance is:
    (A) Normalizing Band of Air procs across faster and slower attacking classes, classes with and without DoTs, etc.
    (B) Reducing its damage either by magnitude and/or cooldown.

Here is a Rogue from a Crown of Keldegonn Trial today from Phase 2+ where 22% of all the damage dealt was purely from Band of Air (Touch of Wind). Yes, I do not feel 22% of a character's damage should come from one item gated behind layers of RNG:

Same run. Wizard showing 20% of total damage coming from Band of Air and it being the #1 source of damage:

Same run. Ranger showing 15% of total damage coming from Band of Air and it being the #1 source of damage:

I hope this data at least illustrates the damage Band of Air deals is overtuned.

I also hope you will trust that I know what I'm talking about when I say some classes are capable of proc'ing Band of Air more frequently and more consistently than others, and the reason that is a problem is because Band of Air such a significant source of overall damage across all classes.

And these are all classes that can proc it through DOts but what about classes that can't?
    Adding a 5s interval on top of a 10% chance will just make them do less damage and less viable for them
    Just remove the 10% chance and just let the ring proc every 5 seconds
    @mrimsogood:

- Regarding your statement about classes that can proc through DoT, you should know the Thaumaturge Wizard log I provided does have a DoT ability from Smolder/Rimefire Smolder, yes. However, Arcanist Wizards are capable of generating more average attacks per second than Thaumaturge. Another item to note is that Smolder/Rimefire Smolder hits only once every three seconds, so its contribution to increased Touch of Wind procs is significantly negligible.

- With a 5 second internal cooldown, the issue of faster attacking and slower attacking classes still remains if the proc chance is 10%. The question then becomes about the level of inequity as Touch of Wind would not contribute as much value to the overall amount of damage dealt. For example, if Touch of Wind accounts for 22% of Rogue total damage and it becomes 11%, for a Cleric it may go from 9% to 4.5%. The Rogue loses 11% total damage to the Cleric's 4.5% and the proc chance stays the same.

- It is better to change one variable (internal cooldown) at a time rather than multiple (internal cooldown + proc chance) to evaluate the outcome and adapt accordingly.
  • erevel09erevel09 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    Or just, you know, reduce the magnitude of Touch of Wind alone? Why the hell Band of Air alone is supposed to be better than Band of Air + Ring of Darkness combo? It makes no sense.
    I wouldn’t mind that and it’s a practical solution, but there is what I consider to be strong community resentment for how difficult it is to obtain one ring, let alone two, with all the mini boss RNG.

Perhaps after a streak-breaker is implemented for the mini bosses that could be an ideal way to go.
  • co2#1085 co2 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    d4rkh0rs3 said:

@mrimsogood:
    - With a 5 second internal cooldown, the issue of faster attacking and slower attacking classes still remains if the proc chance is 10%.

you still missed that 'mrimsogood' proposed that the 10% chance should be removed, that the ring should just proc for all classes every 5 secs (likely automatically triggered or by the usage of one power within 5 second) ...