test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

grappling hook

grrowler#0622 grrowler Member Posts: 185 Arc User
edited January 2022 in General Discussion (PC)
ugh this is so frustrating that i have to ask this in forum.

when I received the quest 'to new heights' from Patrik in the dragonbone value, he told me to grapple up to the watchtower.

so the button for the grappling hook was blinking, but there is no associated keybind for it (maybe because I have slightly customized keybind). I tried to target the watchtower, and then pressed ALT so i could use the grappling button, but that does not work. I then checked in keybindings to see if I could assign it a new keybind. I could not find it.

then I tried dragging the grappling hook icon to one of my main item power tray slots -- the grappling hook disappeared completely (as if I discarded it), and now I cannot find the grappling hook in my "useful items" inventory.

I abandoned the quest and was able to pick up the quest and a new grappling hook by speaking with Kavatos and then Patrik again.

but what do I do to assign this a keybinding?

ugh so frustrating.

[edit] oops - i figured it out. i feel so stupid. sorry for the post. but i guess i should ask if there is an easy way to reassign this a different keybind?

Answers

• jana#2651 jana Member Posts: 594 Arc User
    How did you do it?
  • grrowler#0622 grrowler Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    Hi Jana, at the time I was never able to figure out how to assign the grappling hook a new keybind (the grappling button appears as a button above the potions tray using default "F" interact key). For me at the time, the grappling hook button did not display a shortcut key, but that is because I had applied a customization to change the "F" interact/loot key to "H" -- but it did not show the "H" button at the time. It was just blank. so I was a bit confused what button I was supposed to use to activate the grappling hook. also, at the same time, i did not realize that you had to use the targeting reticule circle in the middle of the screen to highlight the target destination (the grappling hook symbol at the top of the watchtower) in order to enable the grappling button.

so - at the time - the grappling button was missing the shortcut letter underneath, but since that time, I have noticed that it now properly displays the letter (which for me is "H", but the default should be "F"). I assume that if you wanted to change that keybinding, you could go into the system menu / OPTIONS / GAMEPLAY / KEYBINDS / and you should be able to change the "Interact/Loot" button.

(sorry, I hope you were able to figure out the grappling hook)
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    edited June 2022
    Don't you have the problem to do 'rush' in the cave weekly quest? I would think grapple and rush are using the same mechanic.

I personally use /bind syntax to bind G key to do interact (in addition to F). So, F can do grapple and rush (also loot and interact) and G can do loot and interact (in proximity).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • grrowler#0622 grrowler Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    ugh, I do not remember what /bind syntax I used. all I remember is that I was a bit annoyed that whenever I tried to interact with an object target using the "F" key, if any other player was standing near me, I would get the interact menu for that character.

but yeah, I think at the time when I was using the grappling hook, it was messed up, but I figured it out, and I think it has been cleared up a bit too (showing a letter now instead of being blank).

I forget why I chose "H" as the my interact key. I forget what "G" does in-game, if anything. is it possibly the GUILD menu shortcut?

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User

ugh, I do not remember what /bind syntax I used. all I remember is that I was a bit annoyed that whenever I tried to interact with an object target using the "F" key, if any other player was standing near me, I would get the interact menu for that character.

but yeah, I think at the time when I was using the grappling hook, it was messed up, but I figured it out, and I think it has been cleared up a bit too (showing a letter now instead of being blank).

I forget why I chose "H" as the my interact key. I forget what "G" does in-game, if anything. is it possibly the GUILD menu shortcut?

G is to bring up guild menu but I almost never need to bring that up.
    'G' and 'F' are controlled by left index finger. 'H' is controlled by right index finger (if you do straight typist way).
    Hence, using G makes sense to me (and probably me only) for using the same finger and my right hand is most likely on the mouse.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***