test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

only in neverwinter do you kill a dragon and then only take a blac

gor1llaf1stgor1llaf1st Member Posts: 139 Arc User
only in neverwinter do you kill a dragon hellbent on protecting his hoard, and then only take a black opal when leaving a huge room of treasure

Comments

• finmakinfinmakin Member Posts: 442 Arc User

only in neverwinter do you kill a dragon hellbent on protecting his hoard, and then only take a black opal when leaving a huge room of treasure

I DEMAND mythic armor from Cryptic instead of a black opal from these easy Dragons
    Ogguk The Beholder… Justicar Paladin Tank/ Healer
  • silente07#2597 silente07 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    Lol, the guys says take something from the horde. A whole room filled with gold and chests. My pockets would be stretched with gold and my companion would be helping me drags a chest out!
    But no, I somehow find the one black opal and say “This is all I need!”

I dread having to drag my tank through that. Ugh that’s going to be a 45 minute slog.
  • chaderickrax#3780 chaderickrax Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    I remember thinking, "Man, I rolled terribly on that hunt."

Then, my second hunt chest gave me...another black opal.

And I realized that it wasn't a bad roll. They meant it.

There's willing suspension of disbelief, and then there's having my disbelief stuffed in an oil drum and ransomed back to me.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User

I remember thinking, "Man, I rolled terribly on that hunt."

Then, my second hunt chest gave me...another black opal.

And I realized that it wasn't a bad roll. They meant it.

There's willing suspension of disbelief, and then there's having my disbelief stuffed in an oil drum and ransomed back to me.

It's almost as bad as running a Foundry quest and always getting a piece of green junk in the chest. No wonder no one ran them.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    The reason for running Dragon hunts is to get parts for mythical armor. Once you have your set there is no point in continuing hunting the dragons.
  • mintmarkmintmark Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 383 Arc User
    To be fair, I did get a jadeite yesterday 🙂
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    edited June 2022
    For me, only the 2 "training" sessions (of the account) gave black opal. After that, it gave better gem but it is still junk.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    I am working on the "reach level 5 as a dragon hunter" or whatever the exact wording is, and yeah, so far I have gotten black opals.
    I did get a blood ruby the very first time I fought the dragon, when I went in with the hunter, but I figured that was normal, just as I am figuring black opals are normal for these guys in this stretch.

Better than black pearls I grant you, but even if I can only take a single thing from the dragon's hoard, is that really the best I can do?
  • mintmarkmintmark Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 383 Arc User
    Is there ever anything else in the dragon's hoard near the treasure chest?
    I've only had two types of dragons so far (red and blue) and there seem to be items of lore on the map the first time I did each (including one in the treasure area).

But should I be searching the treasure area every time?
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    mintmark said:

Is there ever anything else in the dragon's hoard near the treasure chest?
    I've only had two types of dragons so far (red and blue) and there seem to be items of lore on the map the first time I did each (including one in the treasure area).

But should I be searching the treasure area every time?

So far, for me, each dragon has a lore in the dragon's hoard (after killing the dragon). Not sure if every dragon has a lore before encountering the dragon. Once you get the lore, you won't get another one (because it would be the same one).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • stryker80#0653 stryker80 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    /sarcasm on

But, that guy who came along in the practice run said a lot of the treasure is probably cursed, so, it makes sense...

• zebulondaktoidzebulondaktoid Member Posts: 87 Arc User

/sarcasm on

But, that guy who came along in the practice run said a lot of the treasure is probably cursed, so, it makes sense...

Cursed my foot! He waits for you to take the opal then moves in with his removal van to clean out the hoard, laughing at your gullibility.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    He does tell you that his crew will take care of the body. And other things.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited June 2022

Lol, the guys says take something from the horde. A whole room filled with gold and chests. My pockets would be stretched with gold and my companion would be helping me drags a chest out!
    But no, I somehow find the one black opal and say “This is all I need!”

I dread having to drag my tank through that. Ugh that’s going to be a 45 minute slog.

What I'm a bit surprised with is that if you run to Vallenhas, Avernus, Storm Kings Thunder you can defeat Enemies and sometimes earn several new currency shard's. Like Crackling/Verdeant/Decayed/Charred/Frozen Elemental Strand, most Well of Dragons stuff in Dragon runs you only see Green Potions (most) of the time, not even any coffers anymore; they don't even drop Shard's. I do wish they'd bring that back Coffers, currently all you get is sometimes from Dragons. Today the most you get is maybe 1 Green potion of Dragon Slaying, and maybe one potion of Proection; from 5 dragons, if you're real lucky maybe 1 Rare one of either/or.

I didn't even think of my two character's who started it, earned a single Dragon Scale, Dragon Claw, or Dragon Horn for the first 5 Young Dragons I fought. I don't even know if they award from Adult Dragon's, it's likely why most are running Ancient Dragons.

So despite each of my Character's has 4 Dragon Scales, that's from Smerdiuk NPC. I'm not saying they should improve it drastically, just wished they'd expand the options to earn some; as their are plenty of places to offer it--even Stronghold for example.

I suspect most of it is from Tiamat most certainly yet they removed it from Random Trials, otherwise hold your breath for Ancient Dragons mostly.

*sigh*
    Post edited by strathkin on
  • thany#4351 thany Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    Actually, today i got Shard of Greater Empowerment from that chest in ancient hunt.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    finmakin said:

I DEMAND mythic armor from Cryptic instead of a black opal from these easy Dragons
    Your terms are acceptable.
  • jana#2651 jana Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    I don't think they are easy. Neither do a lot of people, most of the time in a party people vote to abandon the quest. Bt myself it is a grind. But hey this is a great place to brag and say look at how easy it is for me because I have got it all.
  • karvarekarvare Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    I think the problem here is after something that feels like a dungeon/skirmish people expect that final chest to pay out.
    In the hunts, the chest is little more than a DR end chest.
    I am ok with that, as the dragon parts are the real pay out for the hunt. Get the drops, get the gear.
    Really, they should just left out the end chest. Just a cause for bad feelings.
  • I took it as Smerdiuk and his crew taking their cut, ol' dusty Lord Neverember collecting taxes, and other such nonsense. Your gems and whatever other pittance you find in the chest is your salary, and the rest of the hoard goes to, uh, "the greater good" or something (yay Sword Coast capitalism! We need an adventurers union!)
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    That's the life of an adventurer. The IRS hammers the self-employed.
  • Indeed. Neverember and his blasted 1099. Independent contractor life. No health insurance, either. Even when we are hunting DRAGONS. Its hard out there...
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    jana#2651 said:

I don't think they are easy. Neither do a lot of people, most of the time in a party people vote to abandon the quest. Bt myself it is a grind. But hey this is a great place to brag and say look at how easy it is for me because I have got it all.

Even in a 70k+ group Ancients can fail. But mostly they are OK, even with T3 Hard mods and a black dragon. Kills can be expensive though, resurrect scrolls and mass heal potions.

What I consistently see is that the lower the IL is, the more problems the team got and the failrate increases. Remember scaling only covers part of the effects from increasing IL, the base hp and the base damage. Higher IL also means you have better stats, better companion bonuses and better effects on the gear, and those are not scaled.

If you have major issues with killing an Ancient, maybe you are not ready for it. Generally I see that people below 50k IL contribute too little to an Ancient kill.

I think Cryptic did a very good job at tuning the dragons, actually.