test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ranger companion?

mantaspace#9482 mantaspace Member Posts: 5 Arc User
I am using an Apprentice Healer as my companion. Which makes the hunter build playable. This is because the healer will take some of the agro from the player and if not too overwhelmed by agro may heal a few times. I would say its a active help making my Ranger actually playable. I have tried other companions with less success. Of course you have to upgrade it to Mythic level but even at the lower levels it does help some. what companions do you use?

Comments

• Options
    peppa#4404 peppa Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    What I've learned through my experience that seems like the right steps to take playing and building a Hunter Ranger is I boosted the character's hit points and defense, despite people saying it doesn't need a lot of HP and defense (I find it strange people said that...). Having more hit points allowed me to survive attacks better instead of dying from taking a few hits from enemies and boosting defense stats helped...well...defense. :)

I really like using the Battlerager as my Rangers companion. He stays right with you at all times until there's something to attack. Battleragers have an attack called Feroscious Leap. He flies through the air and bashes the entire group which also causes them to focus on him taking attention away from the toon (you) so the Ranger can escape to safety distance and finish them off with arrows.

I wasn't a fan of the healer companion with the Ranger class. I found if I play the Ranger class as D&D common practices suggest playing a Ranger (stay at a distance, not right in battle - don't use melee unless you have to because mobs came to you and you couldn't escape and keep a distance between you and them) I rarely take damage. Especially using the Battlerager companion. The healer made ME go in to battle and melee because the healer tends to also stay at a distance. We don't have a choice but to melee and get close with the healer because the healer stays at a distance most of the time. IMO the Ranger needs a companion that attacks, melee, so we can avoid getting in to melee range.

The dwarven shield companion (I"m not sure of her technical name) was better for me and in my experience than the healer too but, for me at least, the Battlerager is awesome with the Ranger class playing a Ranger like a Ranger should be played in my opinion, which is how D&D literature about the Ranger class suggests they should be played.

I rarely get damaged following the good ole D&D suggestions with my Ranger (Hunter path). It seems that class was designed around the idea that Rangers should stay ranged, at a distance.