test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

threat generation with encounter powers

siswai#3384 siswai Member Posts: 3 Arc User
There is a issue about threat. Skill descriptions are "placing yourself at the top of their threat list.". but while I use these skills half of the time it doesn't work, it doesn't range issue. I always use it in melee range but it didn't work. because this bug, our team getting hard times in dungeons, especially Hardcore dungeons and trials.
I may have some advice on this. Many games add duration to such abilities. E.g ; The enemies you use this ability have to attack only you for 10 seconds.
there is a well-known issue. I wrote this long time ago but didn't any little improvement done.
Not only enforced threat, also anvil of doom, wow of emnity(paladin), smite(paladin). all "puts top of threat list" skills. Its not depends on enemies, I try all types enemies and same bug happens. and is there some enemies have threat/aggro resistance? are you really do that? it doesn't make sense.
for example; light phase mobs after 1st boss in vault of stars, 2nd and 3rd bosses in vault of stars, dragon in Crown of Keldegonn ( this bug much common in this), orcus in tomb of the nine gods, and more.

Comments

• wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    Those powers do exactly what they should do, put you on top of the threat table.
    If I remember correctly it gives you a 10% lead on the former #1 on the threat table.

A threat table that starts out like this :

#1 DPS1 :100 threat after 1 hit
    #2 DPS2 : 80 threat after 1 hit
    #3 DPS3 : 50 threat after 1 hit
    #4 Tank : Using "on top of threat table" encounter

Gives the following result when you use "on top of threat table" encounter :

#1 Tank : 110 threat after casting "on top of threat table" encounter
    #2 DPS1 :100 threat after 1 hit
    #3 DPS2 : 80 threat after 1 hit
    #4 DPS3 : 50 threat after 1 hit

Then this happens :

#1 DPS1 :200 threat after 2 hits
    #2 DPS2 : 160 threat after 2 hits
    #3 Tank : 110 threat after casting "on top of threat table" encounter
    #4 DPS3 : 100 threat after 2 hits

The correct way to handle this is to keep the "top of threat table" encounters for situations where high burst DPS is taking lead on the threat table (watch their threat bar) and when there is a tank swap needed for mechanics. All other situations should be solved with brute force (preferably at-wills/encounters with "increased threat generation").

Edit : The correct way to handle this issue from a developer standpoint would be to provide tooltips that makes sense. @nitocris83
    Post edited by wilbur626 on
    Elite Whaleboy
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

I may have some advice on this. Many games add duration to such abilities. E.g ; The enemies you use this ability have to attack only you for 10 seconds.

What's funny is that this is exactly how old Knight's Challenge and old Binding Oath worked..

The "force enemy to hit you" effects were taken out in mod 16 and replaced with the weirdo "when enemy hits you, deal damage" effects that next to nobody uses.

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    I have noticed this with smite when dealing with very good dps players. If you smite at the wrong time, just before their damage spikes in an artifact call, it won't give you aggro. This is presumably because it made your threat generation 10% than what the top dps had BEFORE their damage shot up.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    pitshade said:

I have noticed this with smite when dealing with very good dps players. If you smite at the wrong time, just before their damage spikes in an artifact call, it won't give you aggro. This is presumably because it made your threat generation 10% than what the top dps had BEFORE their damage shot up.

Yes, more so, if the tank already had aggro with a higher margin than 10%, lets say 50%, when they smite they reset their lead to 10% and a DPS spike on the dps will make them lose it.
  • thany#4351 thany Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    Not a bug. Band of air makes a lot of aggro. If tank is stunned/cc, it's hard to keep/hold aggro. So, they should do something. Nerf band of air or give tanks more aggro options. Well.. If there's no band of air ring, there shouldn't be any problem with holding aggro.