test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Jewel of the North Artifact Set Bonus Does Not Work on Tanks

malistaire#9098 malistaire Member Posts: 50 Arc User
edited February 2022 in Bug Reports (PC)
@nitocris83

The Jewel of the North artifact set bonus does not work properly on Tanks. This is a set only obtainable by spending Zen (obtained with real world money). I periodically test all the threat multiplier bonuses because things tend to break pretty often.

On this round of testing, I found that the Jewel of the North set bonus was not giving tanks an extra 15% threat multiplier.

The best place I have found to test aggro is in the stronghold. You can reset the aggro on the dummies by having everyone leave the instance, which closes the instance. That way, when you re-enter the stronghold, you have new clean instance to do another test. I used to test at the trade of blades, but that was removed. The training area in the adventurers guild would be good because you can spawn and despawn enemies to reset aggro, but you can't have multiple players in the same instance.

To determine threat multipliers, you simply need to first test what your base threat multiplier is. This can be done by first ensuring you don't have any power specific bonuses or any threat bonus powers equipped. Also ensure that you don't have any powers/effects/feats that will trigger a bonus proc effect. Make sure to unequip items like the band of air/ring of darkness. You want to make sure that the only damage you deal is from the at-will you are using. If you do have procs, you can still calculate your threat multiplier, it just becomes a bit more complicated since you have to account for those other hits. It's easiest to just remove anything that may affect your testing.

To test threat multipliers: Have the tank hit a dummy with an at-will that does not have the "increased threat" effect. This way you don't have to account for the approximately 8x threat multiplier you get from the "increased threat effect". On my barbarian sentinel that I used for testing, I used the 'Sure Strike' at-will. The more hits (damage) you do with your attack, the more accurate your aggro multiplier value will be at the end. I did 12 hits with my at-will to test. That is three 4 hit combos.

Next the dps starts attacking until they get a red threat bar. The best setup for the dps is a low item level and a low magnitude at-will attack. This ensures that they will not deal too much damage over the amount needed to take aggro.

Threat multiplier is calculated by taking the damage the dps dealt until they took aggro and dividing it by the damage the tank dealt. If the tank deals 50,000 damage and the dps deals 400,000 damage, the threat multiplier would be 400,000 / 50,000 = 8.

The total damage you deal doesn't actually matter. Because threat multipliers are a multiplier, they ratio of your damage to the dps's damage will remain the same. The only time the ratio should change is if you apply the effect of additional multipliers such as "generate increased threat": 20% bonus threat, "increased threat": 800%, and artifact set bonuses: 15% from jewel of the north and 10% from Diamond set from Sharandar if you stand still for 3 seconds.

Note that there is a small margin of error with the calculate threat multiplier being slightly higher than the actual amount. This margin of error is small and can be made even smaller by having the tank deal damage for a longer period of time before the dps starts attacking to take the aggro.

Now on to the main point: The Jewel of the North Set does not work.

Here are the act logs that show what I mean:
Malistaire was the tank. Luna was the dps.

This was a test of the base threat multiplier. No set bonus was used for this test. The result was a 5.5x base multiplier on the sentinel.

449,749 / 81,187 = 5.539x base threat multiplier

This test was conducted using the Jewel of the North artifact set. The resulting threat multiplier was again 5.5x. This shows that the artifact set did nothing to increase the threat generated by a tank.

367,662 / 66,824 = 5.501x threat multiplier with the jewel of the north set equipped.

With a 15% threat multiplier we would expect to see a value of 5.5 x 1.15 = 6.325.

Someone suggested that perhaps the Jewel of the North is being applied additively to the base multiplier rather than multiplicatively. If we look at the math for that, we can see it is also not the case. With a 5.65x multiplier we would expect to see the dps deal at least 377,555.6 damage to take aggro.

I've been asked this before so I would like to clarify that the base damage dealt does not impact the threat multiplier. I could have done 10,000 damage or 10,000,000 damage and the threat multiplier would still be the same. Dealing the same amount of damage in each test also would not have made any difference.

Please feel free to ask me questions if something about my testing process is unclear.

Post edited by malistaire#9098 on

Comments

• sundancewanderingwolfsundancewanderingwolf Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    Though I don't understand all the math etc... I do wish they'd make more effort to release things that work. What are test servers for anyways? hmmmm
    Also yes, having spent real money on something, it had better work properly!
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    I'll pass on this thread/info for the rest of the team to look into.