test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reputation in Neverwinter

warden#1231 warden Member Posts: 18 Arc User
edited December 2021 in Player Feedback (PC)
Hi all. I want to show you a little concept of reputation in Neverwinter. What it looks like:
reputationcpt
reputationcpt2

Any player can put a positive or negative reaction. The reputation statistics will be displayed on the main screen with the character. This will help all players not to get caught by scammers or trolls, to understand whether it is a good player or not. If a player has a negative reputation, every time you view his profile, a table will be displayed, about his negative reputation.

Comments

• warden#1231 warden Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    micky1p00 said:

How it is handling abuse? If everyone can put a reaction, a person with plenty of accounts or friends, can mass downvote someone they don't like. So in essense making it a popularity contest and a report war.

Good question. I believe that positive scores can be limited to a certain number, such as 5 per day, as for negative scores, they should be considered by gamemasters, they will look at what a player could have done to get a negative score.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,217 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    It is no point because people can easily manipulate it and it will be. In the end of the day, nobody will trust the score. And, there is no game master.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***

It is no point because people can easily manipulate it and it will be. In the end of the day, nobody will trust the score. And, there is no game master.

I agree with you, the system is vulnerable to abuzu, but you can get results. Regarding gamemasters, who returns long discarded items upon request to support?
    edited December 2021

I agree with you, the system is vulnerable to abuzu, but you can get results. Regarding gamemasters, who returns long discarded items upon request to support?
    1. support may help but usually does not work. So far, I tried 3 times for 3 different issues and they agreed they are their fault/bug. Yes, they closed the tickets 3 times and none were resolved. They "closed" the ticket because "they got all the information they needed and they can't do anything about it. They ensured they would be resolved". No, so far, never.
    2. support does not really know about the game play themselves. Based on the conversation among those tickets, they really don't know much.
    3. Basically, I gave up what support can do. No, there is no game master.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited December 2021

Different concepts, support have management software with which they can open an account / char, and do some actions. They do not play the game, nor in the game. It's all done externally, and even by a different company. Support is PWE and the game studio is Cryptic.

If the score doesn't reflect it's intent then there is an issue.

Lets say I ask friends to give the 5 points per day, or lets say have several accounts to do so after 8 years I'll have 14k points. I new player can be much nicer and not a cheating scamming HAMSTER like me but will never get even close since they play a year.

If only support gives negative score then I can kick people from groups, ask for payment for runs, freeload, and so on, and no one will ever reduce my score.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    Not a good idea imo. I've played games with this type of system and by large it is just not an accurate representation of a player. It's a number that can easily be manipulated, and I wouldn't trust the judgement of support that just doesn't play the game. (Although that *might* change with Gearbox, idk I don't have any experience with them nor do I know if they will replace PWE for providing game support.
    edited December 2021
    I am glad that this topic has caused such a heated discussion, I agree with you in many aspects
    , but I would really like to see a similar concept, as in neverwinter and not only have many unscrupulous players who can not be distinguished from the conscientious, everything is built on trust, and this is often used
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    This is what guilds and alliances are for. A group of people filtered long term over their behavior (and/or other criteria)
    edited December 2021
    micky1p00 said:

This is what guilds and alliances are for. A group of people filtered long term over their behavior (and/or other criteria)

I do not know about the euro server, but the Russian server has so many afk guilds that any player can come and take advantage of the trust

micky1p00 said:

I do not know about the euro server, but the Russian server has so many afk guilds that any player can come and take advantage of the trust
    This is why you should join an active guild and not just focus on the guild boons.

I am glad that this topic has caused such a heated discussion, I agree with you in many aspects
    , but I would really like to see a similar concept, as in neverwinter and not only have many unscrupulous players who can not be distinguished from the conscientious, everything is built on trust, and this is often used

By heated I assume you mean a large pushback against this idea, from what I can tell just one person is for the proposal.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User

Good question. I believe that positive scores can be limited to a certain number, such as 5 per day, as for negative scores, they should be considered by gamemasters, they will look at what a player could have done to get a negative score.

What Game Masters?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    greywynd said:

What Game Masters?
    People who solve minor issues in the game itself, they can be found in Warcraft
    All right guys. I revised the concept a little bit and took what you said into account. Now reputation is not measured in hundreds, thousands, etc. There is a scale: all given the maximum reputation jackal - 100, depending on how the player behaves, it can decrease, up to 0. Affect the reputation can be several factors - spamming in chat, troll, cheating at the exchange. all requests are reviewed by support, so you can not report another player as a joke.
    rep2
    Why would they put resources into this? Your suggestion would require there to be staff that doesn't exist. We don't even have support that plays the game, much less has the time to understand player reports (and that's not taking into account the Drider server). What return would they get from this?
    Who then shuts up players if they insult someone in chat? Elementary to put a bot that will filter out the obscene part and remove the reputation

Who then shuts up players if they insult someone in chat? Elementary to put a bot that will filter out the obscene part and remove the reputation

That's not what you are asking for though. If it were a bot, how would it distinguish between a player being reported for training enemies or trolling in a dungeon vs someone who was reported just because they are new and dps was low or simply because they are a Whisper Knife? On the flip side, how would a bot know if a bunch of friends boosted each other's reputation despite them being terrible to others?
  • hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    edited January 2022

Hi all. I want to show you a little concept of reputation in Neverwinter. What it looks like
    Any player can put a positive or negative reaction. The reputation statistics will be displayed on the main screen with the character. This will help all players not to get caught by scammers or trolls, to understand whether it is a good player or not. If a player has a negative reputation, every time you view his profile, a table will be displayed, about his negative reputation.

I have better suggestion based on your idea. Though it's from my one of previous played games..

There is called > Evaluation. Each player can Reccomend/upvote up to 5 players per 7 days.

More Reccomendations you get, well after certain quantity obtained your Title color changes.
    It makes no impact in combat, and act as cosmetic like feature.

Now obviously can it be exploited? Yes,, since it's free to play mmo, you can simply ask friend to keep creating new toons and upvote you till you get your title color changed. :)

To counter that, Reccomendation system had point adjustment feature.. In short every day some points are removed from your score.

So it's not like you ask some friends to keep create alts just to upvote you so you hit max Reccomendation and thats it. You need keep getting them. If you stop obtaining them, well your points decline to point you have 0.

When comes guild and fame.

When players can upvote and build up fame, it's easiest way to exploit such system. And also bring downside. In short players will start avoiding other guilds and be part of most upvoted( highest fame) having ones..

But if fame comes from challenges, like reaper, hardcore or similar ones, Thats different matter.

It's not a big deal to write whole script and how it progress and how we can reuse lot of previous game elements and mechanics..
    Post edited by hadestemplar#9918 on
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User

That is normally left to the players to "report player", "ignore player", or "report spam". The rest is automated.

You want a bot running that will filter out obscenities? You will end up blocking a lot of players that are just having fun in zone chat.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    edited January 2022

I am glad you brought up chat which is the one of the main reasons why I am against this reputation thing.
    To answer your question:
    1. nobody (alive) examine and shut up players in chat.
    2. It is other players (need certain amount of players) reported a player X and chat just auto ban player X and the player X might just say "Hello". Don't laugh. This happened more often than you may think. This led to abuse in the current game.
    3. There is no obscene filter to restrict the writer. There is an obscene filter that can be turned on by the reader. If you don't want to see obscene words, you turn on the filter or you ignore the channel. This is supposed to be an adult game.
  • nemesis19881988nemesis19881988 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    whats the point of reputation in a dead game ? when you cant even find group to run rtq/radq/rc

whats the point of reputation in a dead game ? when you cant even find group to run rtq/radq/rc

So according to you, any game not in the top 10 are dead? Most people are in guilds and alliances and fill from there before queueing and avoid PE chat like the plague.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    If we were to have a reputation system it would have to be based on actual behaviour rather than reported behaviour as there are far too many trolls in the gaming community.

As such, you'd be looking at things like RQ quitting v completing with new players / voting statistics, AFKing in trials, perhaps even giving away freebies to players with less than (say) 3 months in the game or AH records on pricing & flipping?

These are all measurable & objective standards that could build a reputation score without being at the mercy of the trolls.

Customer Service staff could also add/subtract points for things like system abuse etc (if we wanted to go in that direction)
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • nic1985nic1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 415 Arc User
    This remind me so much of "Black Mirror", eventually some players take this too seriously and loose the true enjoyment of the game, so all they stress/worry about is "reputation".
    edited January 2022
    nic1985 said:

This remind me so much of "Black Mirror", eventually some players take this too seriously and loose the true enjoyment of the game, so all they stress/worry about is "reputation".

In real life, what people stress/worry about is "credit score". "I can't do this because it will impact my credit score". "Wait! Does this hurt my credit score if I buy this ...". "Is this a hard check or soft check?" "I can't really shop around for the best loan because each bank will give me a hard check ...". "I can't cancel this useless credit card because it may hurt my credit score".
    edited January 2022
    maikl20 said:

arazith07 said:

So according to you, any game not in the top 10 are dead? Most people are in guilds and alliances and fill from there before queueing and avoid PE chat like the plague.
    game have 200-300 players is dead asf and most guilds alliances are dead stop lying even new players see that ppl are not stupid , reputation in pay to play mmo i wanna see ppl beg or pay for reputation , we are new players but not stupid to see is pay to play dead game lazy developers want only money
    Well, just did a quick check (at ~2pm Eastern time) in the zone (only one zone) and it has more than 300 players (~360 players) playing at the moment.
  • irene#2829 irene Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    When something is free, we became the product.
    Now we have product reviews. :p
  • bifflincultebifflinculte Member Posts: 210 Arc User