test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Mod - Enchants and Great Ideas from The Crew! Thank you for the new system!

Hello everyone - and hello to the good devs and designers!!! I am posting to say that I am really excited about the new Mod's enchantment system - it feels solid and is a logical step forward towards extensibility - all good design features!!! I only hope we are at a launching point for more: Archetypes and Subclasses!

And all the more to be excited with the new GearBoX influx and dev crew!!! And to their Wonderlands project which looks like it's Gonna be a GoTY FPS shooter - I'm playing Tiny Tina's Wonderlands currently, and it is so Borderlands -but with a really nice twist on the DnD! And a quick look at the new Direction GearBox is heading can only be fan-tastic! -For all DnD fans and RPG enthusiasts - I am very excited as you can see - LoL!

Back to the new enchant system - it is really so much more well thought of - instead of having a hard time switching them all the time - having them in a separate domain sure is a super improvement! And also - reducing the number of Runestones! It's crazy enough working up to 18+ enchants - TY for that super change too!!

Well - hopefully with the new domain centric way of looking at the character build, it'd be a super step up from this into skill trees and the like - new boon systems and maybe even weapon proficiencies! With encounters/at-wills resembling DnD and it's build style!

Thank you for reading! -and thank you for the QOL improvements - L8ER!!

Comments

• hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    Sorry but you lost me on the second paragraph? I own Borderlands 2 with the Tiny Tina D&D DLC module. That is old news and the wrong game company GearBox and Cryptic Studios are two separate gaming developers. I agree that DLC is a fun spoof, if you are into both first person shooter and D&D, but not related to this game otherwise.

By the 3rd paragraph, it seems you are being sarcastic about the changes? I really can't tell. If a developer ever reads this, they might just say, thanks and move on. I am not one to evaluate the game mechanics, but from what I have read about the enchantment changes and experienced myself in Preview, they seem to be removing more content. Therefore I would not exactly call it a quality of life change myself.

However if you are serious about what you stated above, I will simply state, enjoy your game.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    Gearbox now owns Cryptic and PWE btw.
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

Sorry but you lost me on the second paragraph? I own Borderlands 2 with the Tiny Tina D&D DLC module. That is old news and the wrong game company GearBox and Cryptic Studios are two separate gaming developers. I agree that DLC is a fun spoof, if you are into both first person shooter and D&D, but not related to this game otherwise.

By the 3rd paragraph, it seems you are being sarcastic about the changes? I really can't tell. If a developer ever reads this, they might just say, thanks and move on. I am not one to evaluate the game mechanics, but from what I have read about the enchantment changes and experienced myself in Preview, they seem to be removing more content. Therefore I would not exactly call it a quality of life change myself.

However if you are serious about what you stated above, I will simply state, enjoy your game.

I was confused also - but I dont think Para 3 is sarcastic. For many players being able to gear up alts from mains will be so much easier than it is now.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,184 Arc User

I was confused also - but I dont think Para 3 is sarcastic. For many players being able to gear up alts from mains will be so much easier than it is now.
    Please forgive my ignorance. Does the "improvement" still require you move the enchantment from one character to another one? Or, it is something new?
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • melotai#0794 melotai Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    I do not think it matters, with the way they are doing it. For me this will simply wipe out all normal enchants and runestones for all toons and I will probably not bother to do anything more about it for a few months or until the next mod depending on how things go.

I will however, trade in all my qualifying old enchants to get 1 weapon and/or 1 armor enchant (ranks 3 and 4) for my 3 primary toons and then make sure my alts all have at least 1 appropriate rank 2 or 3 weapon or armor enchant as well.

I do have VIP so if they put the regular enchants and runestones in there again I will purchase them again during the 20% discount event for trade bar purchases.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    edited January 2022

Please forgive my ignorance. Does the "improvement" still require you move the enchantment from one character to another one? Or, it is something new?
    You will be able to turn r5 enchantments into account-wide versions.

It does not mean you get 100% coverage on alts, since (as it is on Preview now) you only get one copy of each enchant type on the alts, but it still significantly cuts the number of enchants you need to level up for alts.

Assuming you don't need different enchants on different alts(which you of course will), you will be covered for combat, bonus and companions enchants at least. For offense/defense/utility slots you will get at most 5 account wides for 9 slots.

Cryptic said they would look into at least making one copy available on each of offense/defense/utility, but status on that is unknown. If they do that you can have enough enchants available to completely fill an alt - but enchant selection will not be optimal.

And you of course need to level the enchants to r5 first, which will cost you around 4 M AD each starting from r1's, depending on what you pay for coals. 12 * 4 = 48M AD.

Older characters will however get higher level enchants as starting points from medallions.
  • oktlryk#2717 oktlryk Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    Well - Idk how you read sarcasm into it! It wasn't - LoL! - and what do u mean? Tiny Tina's DLC from Borderlands 2? No - the recent mini game for the upcoming Wonderlands - it's a remake of that DLC - think it's called Assult on DragonKeep - Not meant to get anyone riled up - if so it's just in the moment - and the trade's a little low on medallions at our end, true - what can I say - LoL - but I have my backpack and will go the mile (hacking and slashing along the way) - LoL! - and it'll all be cool in the end!! L8ER!!
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    the idea was well thought, the implementation lacks effort.

they should have put:
    - 4 offence slots(power, accuracy, critical strike, critical severity),
    - 4 defense slots(defense, deflection, critical avoidance, deflect severity),
    - 4 utility slots(ap gain, recharge speed, movement speed, incoming healing, forte, outgoing healing, control bonus,control resistance), (these should benefit of combined rating too, 90% caps seems to not break the game(not sure about this,correct me about it)
    - 1 weapon enchantment slot,
    - 1 armor enchantment slot,
    - 2 overload slots,

and make the values stats on offence, defense and utility enchantments raw stats not pecentages, the exception to happen is make mythic quality enchantments give no item level, no combined rating and only % value(offence, defense and utility slots),

weapon and armor base bonuses should be related to the role the player has slotted:

- dps role - weapon enchantment gives +15% og damage, armor enchantments gives -5% damage taken,
    - tank role - weapon enchantment gives +5% og damage, armor enchantment -15% damage taken,
    - healer role - weapon enchantment gives +10% og healing, armor enchantment gives -10% damage taken,
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    arcanjo86 said:

weapon and armor base bonuses should be related to the role the player has slotted:

- dps role - weapon enchantment gives +15% og damage, armor enchantments gives -5% damage taken,
    - tank role - weapon enchantment gives +5% og damage, armor enchantment -15% damage taken,
    - healer role - weapon enchantment gives +10% og healing, armor enchantment gives -10% damage taken,

We already have damage and HP bonuses built into the roles, I don't think we need to give a further increase to damage on DPS, Paladins already cry enough about leveling and solo content, we don't need to make their situation worse.
  • oktlryk#2717 oktlryk Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    Well the Utility is strange - only 1? That's just strange - maybe they're planning on introducing some other stuff that gives utility stats - maybe amulets? or charms or something - hoping it is - lol - what's a utility enchant for anyway right - off/def - utility just seems like its making way for some type of MMO convention - lol - charms/amulets could do those types of stuff - Speed/Gold/etc. - Combat enchants are nice - instead of having armor/wep ones - simple combat ones - I like that personally - maybe they should lean more towards that type of thing: Offense Slot (note the singular - lol): Slice N Dice (High Crit Stats), Target (Accuracy), Force (Power) - lol - doubt it's DnD though - maybe Offence Multiplier slots? - well it looks like its work in progress anyway, maybe it's gonna finally be easier to balance - L8eR!
    arazith07 said:

Gearbox now owns Cryptic and PWE btw.

Ok thank you for that information. I did some research and found this informative article.

https://embracer.com/release/embracer-group-enters-into-agreement-to-acquire-perfect-world-entertainment/

Apparently this shows us a couple of items; this happens in February so I wouldn't or couldn't give credit to GearBox for any immediate changes to any of these games. The article cites an addition 237 employees, I assume many are Cryptic Studios. This would also explain a lot of big names jumping ship this last year and heading for higher ground.

It will be very interesting to follow the ARC games development over the course of 2022. While I do enjoy my Borderlands 2, Neverwinter, Star Trek, and Champions are not exactly the same kind of game style.

Very interesting indeed.

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,184 Arc User

The article cites an addition 237 employees, I assume many are Cryptic Studios.

This pdf presentation has more interesting information and it shows there are/were 136 personnel in Cryptic and 101 in PWE publishing.

https://embracer.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/Embracer-Perfect-World-Entertainment-Presentation-21-dec-vFinal.pdf
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    edited January 2022
    For more than a year now my wife Wendy Black has been half-way joking about PW selling off Cryptic to Konami with our good friend and neighbor @blargskull ... who is still on Christmas vacation, I know this because I am still feeding his fish.

Some people are still confused about this sale. Obviously the sale is not yet final and therefor you will not see any radical changes to these games until they have the authority. Let me run down the major players and who they are and their function;

Embracer - This is a Swedish conglomerate, they just buy up properties to make more money. It doesn't matter what the property does, they intend to make money using it. This means there will be refurbishing and maybe changes you like or dislike. But as both Wendy and Mr. Blargskull have stated, at least Perfect World didn't sell to Konami.

Perfect World - This is a Chinese conglomerate. They only sold off the NA/EU gaming division. The lion's share of their profits are made in Perfect World Pictures. When I say, they are making a new Jurassic Park movie, you don't think PWP, everyone thinks of Universal Studios and Amblin Entertainment. However they are on the long list of studios and Dominion will be released this summer. When they are not busy making stinkers like Cats (2019) they also make Chinese soap operas for TV. Recent events in China may have them on unstable ground as well, but they just got paid for their game division and not ALL of Perfect World was purchased. The way I see it, PW had to sell off the NA/EU game division so Embracer can collect the cash from zen sales. Otherwise your zen would be worthless overnight.

GearBox - Recently purchased by the Swedish conglomerate is based in Texas, USA. This company as I stated before is known for their success with creating the Borderlands series, yet they have worked on some other titles they don't get as much credit for Half-Life or Brothers in Arms. This company is best known for making first person shooters and not massive multiplayer games.

Cryptic Studios - as I have known, operates in a suburb of San Jose, California, USA. The developer originated from Atari and was sold off to Perfect World back in 2012. This has happened before and when it did the games didn't change all that much. They only had 2 titles at the time Champions Online and Star Trek Online. Both were subscriber based MMOs and it was under PW these titles changed to a Free to Play format. Neverwinter was under development but released in 2013 when the Cryptic was fully owned by PW.

Arc - This is the part of Perfect World that needed to be sold to make the Cryptic games to be "usable" and viable. There are 2 locations for Arc games the NA group operates from Redwood City, California, USA, while the European group is located in Amsterdam, Netherlands.

I am 99.99% sure this last bit means they don't just plan to throw away this company and lose $103 million. They actually only paid $60 million in cash, the stocks are Perfect World's investment in Embracer's future. Embracer in a sense, is giving a small percentile of their company to Perfect World in the stock exchange. You are bound to see new staff and changes will occur, but it will be awhile before anything takes affect. I would give it 6 months after purchase in February. By July or August you should have a pretty good idea where the new corporate structure will take all the games.

Speaking of the games, I assume they now own the rights to PWI and Forsaken World as well. It will be interesting to see what plays out on those 2 games. They might not do anything with them as long as players are using them.
  • mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited January 2022

Hello everyone - and hello to the good devs and designers!!! I am posting to say that I am really excited about the new Mod's enchantment system - it feels solid and is a logical step forward towards extensibility - all good design features!!! I only hope we are at a launching point for more: Archetypes and Subclasses!

And all the more to be excited with the new GearBoX influx and dev crew!!! And to their Wonderlands project which looks like it's Gonna be a GoTY FPS shooter - I'm playing Tiny Tina's Wonderlands currently, and it is so Borderlands -but with a really nice twist on the DnD! And a quick look at the new Direction GearBox is heading can only be fan-tastic! -For all DnD fans and RPG enthusiasts - I am very excited as you can see - LoL!

Back to the new enchant system - it is really so much more well thought of - instead of having a hard time switching them all the time - having them in a separate domain sure is a super improvement! And also - reducing the number of Runestones! It's crazy enough working up to 18+ enchants - TY for that super change too!!

Well - hopefully with the new domain centric way of looking at the character build, it'd be a super step up from this into skill trees and the like - new boon systems and maybe even weapon proficiencies! With encounters/at-wills resembling DnD and it's build style!

Thank you for reading! -and thank you for the QOL improvements - L8ER!!

I hope i am wrong. No i am not saying i will leave.
    Mod 22 will be a fiasco.
    the trial seems to be limited to some players(as devs said on official stream about other trials "Not meant for everyone").
    They have not fixed mid game(there are none)
    Casual players are not welcome.
    Pug is impossible so you have to spend 30min + to get into a team then see people abandon it and wait another 30 min. (thankfully i am in a very active allaince so not a problem for me)

It just seems that there are no planning they listen to less than 10% of player base and only cater to them(used to be 1% but players dropped an left so much it is now 10%)

I Really like this game and i am of the few people that is in an alliance that has a VERY active alliance chat .. not 2 min without a conversation. Sadly that is the exception to the rule our alliance leader is amazing and he motivates us. something the CM and devs should be doing imo.
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• nermaleyenermaleye Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    The biggest thing I do not like about this new mod. Is how it consumes refinement points gold for upgrading your enchantments. This whole new mod is all about making money for the company. You're not rich you do not have a lot of money or a AD in the game you'll be left behind. The way they're making the game now it's set more for people that have a lot of cash. My thoughts are buffalo in Motes. Should be worried if you get 50 of them gives you 50% chance to be able to upgrade an enchantment. But I don't think the company would ever do that seeing that they would start losing money and their store. But that's just my thoughts and my opinion.
    I love to play MMO's & 1st person shooters. An when I am not playing I rebuild & trouble shoot computers.
  • mintmarkmintmark Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 383 Arc User
    There are better motes in the game... I got a 10% enhanced mote from a skirmish chest. I haven't tried using it yet though... I want them to fix the use of preservation wards first, so it only consumes one for each failure.