test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[All Platforms] Knox Box Feedback Thread

nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
Greetings Adventurers!

With the extension of the Knox Box to December 9th, we wanted to gather community feedback and thoughts on the Knox Box format/concept itself. Let us know what you liked or didn't like about it and if you would like to see something similar in the future and in what way.

Please do not use this thread for bug reports; off-topic comments will be removed.

Comments

• fresh7s#5800 fresh7s Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Ps4 player here. I like that you showed drop rates of all items but I wish it was easier to get more of them other than $$. I put in $15 for 40 boxes and got a the knox box, a mythic bag, and CIW, so i cant complain too much.
  • freezy312#8596 freezy312 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    PS4 player, I honestly loved the fact that they were made obtainable through running dungeons and that they had a fair chance of dropping. I also loved the fact that the choice pack that was included in the box was gaurenteed after a certain amount. My only complaint is the pricing, I feel like they should've been a more round number for the ones through the zen store so I didn't have leftover AD that I have to either hang onto or convert to AD.
  • mrskitty1mrskitty1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3 Arc User
    I love Knox Boxes! I bought and opened wayyyyyyy too many, but they are a great value based on the loot that drops from them. I have had no issues with them bugging at all.
  • thedzoxthedzox Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Knox Box is awesome! Keep them coming :) Played a lot lately farming them and it was worth it. I would in fact liked to see similar boxes in the future. Concept seems to be working, as far as i'm concerned.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    The grand prize should have had at least new rewards for people who have all the existing rewards.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • boonyowboonyow Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    it was a decent idea. would have probably liked it more if i could have bought some from the wonderous bazaar.
  • > @nitocris83 said:
    > Greetings Adventurers!
    >
    > With the extension of the Knox Box to December 9th, we wanted to gather community feedback and thoughts on the Knox Box format/concept itself. Let us know what you liked or didn't like about it and if you would like to see something similar in the future and in what way.
    >
    > Please do not use this thread for bug reports; off-topic comments will be removed.

PS4 Player
    The Concept itself is good, but I feel it's a bit too rewarding. The reason I say that is Mounts like Swarm are Very Cheap and Toad Has Gone Down By 4 Mill, Although this may be good for newer Players I feel they are Growing up to endgame way too early. They want to do VoS Yet they don't even know their build/Rotation ect. They get to endgame so quickly they don't even understand the game fully to do endgame content. Overall Its killing the market.
  • rngrob#7231 rngrob Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    Fantastic addition. Just make sure they stay relevant with each release.
  • darc#2795 darc Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    Xbox One player here.
    I don't like how broken it is or the unfair RNG/drop chances of it. But I love the idea of it and the Knox Box itself!

> @freezy312#8596 said:
    > PS4 player, I honestly loved the fact that they were made obtainable through running dungeons and that they had a fair chance of dropping. I also loved the fact that the choice pack that was included in the box was gaurenteed after a certain amount. My only complaint is the pricing, I feel like they should've been a more round number for the ones through the zen store so I didn't have leftover AD that I have to either hang onto or convert to AD.

"You said they have a fair chance of dropping"? Well I'm bugged or cryptics rng favors certain players because I have ran hours of dungeons since day 1 of Knox box release and have yet to get even 1 to drop from any chest and I have spent so much time and money in this game and even spent money in zen store to buy Knox boxes but can't even get 1 to drop for me free from chest Afters so many many many chest/dungeon runs. Also I still can't not buy all Knox boxes from Baazar even after the patch. Before patch I couldn't buy any at all from the Bazaar untill the week reset and I only let me buy 1 than, after patch I can't buy any again so all together I believe I only was able to buy 1 from the Baazar and some from ZEN Store and NONE have dropped for me what so ever out of hours/days of dungeon and chest runs.
  • mre#9247 mre Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I liked this concept, it still based on rng but with a pity sistem, a guaranteed reward. I think that this concept could be also applied to dungeons. For example, there may be a currency in a dungeon chest (a token or something similar), that could be obtained, maybe once a day, form that dungeon, with which you can get the item you want among the drops available only in that dungeon (equip/ring/artifact set...)
    The drop would still be based on the rng, but at least after 100 runs (just an example) with all the tokens, there would be the possibility to get the item that wasn't found in all the previous runs
  • darc#2795 darc Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    thedzox said:

Knox Box is awesome! Keep them coming :) Played a lot lately farming them and it was worth it. I would in fact liked to see similar boxes in the future. Concept seems to be working, as far as i'm concerned.

Where have you successfully farmed them if I may ask? And how many have you farmed so far from dungeon chest? Because O have dropped for me after hours and hours and days of running dungeons that many others have confirmed to drop them.
  • froger#9967 froger Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    I like the concept overall. I especially like seeing the odds of prizes. I don’t mind the ‘free’ boxes being limited as devs gotta eat too. The Zen cost is reasonable for the rewards.

Something that is good or bad is the ease / low cost of gearing up this has brought on. To obtain the boxes for 2.6 million AD on Xbox is a great deal as are the other items which have flooded the auction house. But it could easily lead to players who aren’t ready for what the box offers in terms of game play preparedness suddenly having a much higher item level than their experience would dictate. Now, this has always been possible by paying, it’s just very cheap now.

Something I don’t like the idea of is BTA choice packs as I already have all the items in the pack, adding an unbind option to these, if they don’t already have it, would be nice.

The progress meter with set rewards feels like a great c-c-c-combo breaker for bad RNG. I would like this concept applied to lockboxes and even dungeon chests (vos mini boss for regent).

One thing I absolutely don’t want is the Knox Box becoming a permanent fixture, I like it as limited time. Mainly because I do my small part to play the market and want to profit.

I do worry the drops are only good for now and now will be a very short time. I would really hate for the drops to be useless in less than a year. For me this is paid entertainment. I don’t expect it to last forever but would like adequate time to enjoy it.

A bulk opening option would be nice too. On console I can hold a button for hundreds of boxes, but PC is a different story.
    Froger - Barbarian - Original Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Jade - Cleric - Healer Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Magnus - Fighter - 3rd main to be a tank - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Loverboy - Ranger - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Nomnomnommm - Wizard - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    I Am The Wall - Paladin - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    Xeros - Rogue - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    RIP bad name - Warlock - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Bardholomew - Bard - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Sirona - Cleric - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone

Jade - DC - Shadows of Gauntlgrym - PC
  • admiralwarlord#3792 admiralwarlord Member Posts: 611 Arc User
    As an f2p player, I found the idea interesting as there is the possibility to complete the box via dungeons. And there is the concept of the problem, how many dungeons would need to be done to complete this content? I don't know if it's worthwhile to pursue that goal. Currently nothing has encouraged me to play more than doing the event (Siege of NW) and the daily RC for not making up for my time. Something much more attractive is Echoes of Propecy, at least it's content with lore challenges.
  • Visible drop rates & percentages.
  • autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,133 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    I have to say I really enjoyed them (I did the whole 150) and it was super nice seeing older mounts/companions dropping that many of us don't have. If I could change anything it would be to add Shards of Greater Empowerment to the potential drops because many of us who play primarily solo have no chance of getting those otherwise. Really tho, they were a lot of fun.
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • truckertrekytruckertreky Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    My only problem with the Knox box is the fact I can't purchase any with astrol diamonds.
  • irene#2829 irene Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    Devs hate me because my feedback is always about doing more work. : P

Knox box has surpassed many lootbox in other games. There is no longer a need to buy keys, the box is tradable, the drop rate is communicated and there are guaranteed items to aid those with bad luck.

However, the box promised very expensive and rare items. If every box in the future promised all the best stuff, I fear it could create problem to sales in the long run.

We also cannot ignore the fact that gamers claim this as game pay to win. When I persuade a friend to return and buy the knox box, I was insulted. Then it hit me - the message is suddenly a lot louder and I never realize it. You must buy to win.

Fortunately, there is a very big opportunity for future knox box alike systems to fix everything.

1. Pay for early access and not pay to win.
    Let's assume there will be an Irene box for just 2 weeks in Dec. Guarantee to drop you a choice of mythic mount collar. The store can sell Irene box at high price. Low drop rate but guarantee drop after 30 tries. Item is non tradable. Only for the paid player.
    For free players, similar to how they can get the knox box with a mission note, there will be an NPC that trades the Irene box, but the NPC will tell the player that it is only purchasable in 3 months time in March. The NPC will require the player to complete a very difficult dungeon for 30 times and to wait patiently for March.

So there you go - the same concept as the current knox box (zen store and wonder bazar purchase), but it is communicated with the player in advance that they too can get something good when the time comes. In that 3 months the player plays the game regularly, invited all his friends into the game to help and is finally rewarded. It is better than a last minute random announcement "come buy this".

2. Play more to win more.
    Low drop chance of Irene box in dungeon. Special announcement "Player X has completed hardcore dungeon and won the Irene box at 0.01% chance". This can send the message "Play more to win more" and not "buy and unbox and pay to win".

3. Remove the need of enchanted keys.
    The knox box proves that people will buy a lot more since they can trade the extras. For future new mounts and content, allow the player to buy the box at a higher price but making the box tradable. Also apply the same good practice such as a guarantee new mount drop after 50 unbox.
  • blackmagidblackmagid Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 111 Arc User
    I like the idea of a limited time box you can buy with the AD you have acquired playing the game - to me, that is nice. I would like to see the drop chance from a dungeon end chests improved though - it has been very poor for me.

Thanks
    Black
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Ignoring all the things that went wrong with the rollout, I think it's pretty decent. You get a :+1: from me.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    Main feedback: Test things more please

Secondary feedback: This is how lockboxes should be. Pitty + transparency. Also is a good move that they drop from dungeons.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • fritz#8093 fritz Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    I like the concept because it's transparent drop chances. We've come a long way here. Kudos to those trying to theorycraft drop chances since forever, sometimes against severe pushback. You're the true goats and get a late approval here.

Rewards are a bit uninspiring for me. I won't complain but generally it feels like the game is handing out orange and teal account unlocks left and right these days. It became a bit too easy. Otherwise yay for Insignia (Powder) and a general thumbs up for the other rewards.

Don't like that it's mainly a ZEN feature. Everything that is a ZEN exclusive is super bad thanks to the broken ZAX. Surprise events that run for a week (now two, but doesn't matter) break the f2p model because nobody can get ZEN exchanged in time. The only way to obtain a large amount of boxes is through cash or paying way over value on the AH. Would have liked the boxes to have a significantly higher chance of dropping from dungeon chests up to a 100% in the most challenging content like TOMM / ZARIEL etc. My comparison points are Juma Bags from Module 16. I always liked those because there was a designated farming spot for those companions and mounts with reasonable rewards when putting the time in. Knox Box as designed are a perfect upgrade on theory, but not widely available to the public.

Also: Let's do less RNG and more choice packs. The flood of companions and mounts is nice I guess, but at least give us a choice of five random ones in the rarity that chance decided for us.
  • yoshiicapone#2520 yoshiicapone Member Posts: 26 Arc User

With the extension of the Knox Box to December 9th, we wanted to gather community feedback and thoughts on the Knox Box format/concept itself. Let us know what you liked or didn't like about it and if you would like to see something similar in the future and in what way.

Pros:
    - Showing drop chance, very nice! Valuable to do for so many reasons
    - Made obtaining certain rewards easier so ALL (newer, older) players can benefit as well as having side effect of deflating the AH
    - I feel this is a great choice as a single time system however if it will be used again in the future (which I believe it will be) it would be nice to use different rewards and not the same tired old one. How about crafting items? hunt gear? appearance items? Make the rewards more varied to avoid a copy/paste feel

Cons:
    - Making WB & Loot boxes drop account bound items...does not make sense. As a free game, I am all for Cryptic giving zen options to players that may help generate revenue however clearly making zen-bought "free" to use however versus WB option being bound is just plain dirty.
  • kir4me8604#8436 kir4me8604 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    BEST BOX EVER! Thank you so much.

The text below is my own personal experience of opening Knox Boxes with my friends on the PS5/PS4. We had a blast! Thank you Cryptic! I do understand that it is possible that it may not be the same case with another player and their friends.

My friends and I never had so much fun opening boxes. We were so excited and curious on what each other would pull from the Knox box. We even shared our screens while opening boxes. The timing was perfect. The Protector Enclave was in a trading frenzy. The Auction House was shifting from OVERPRICED & EXPENSIVE to AFFORDABLE, and that is Good! Even if someone was not able to buy Knox Boxes, friends started helping each other and gifting items and boxes.

Considering that many players were and still are in need of Mythic/Legendary mounts, Mythic/Legendary companions, and especially collars, it was very nice to see that the box did not contain refinement fillers. I was also very nervous about the Account Wide mounts and companions that were already own as it seemed like the only thing you could do was delete them. However, we store those items and you guys delivered with making those items Bound on Equip. Once we saw this, we were able to gifted other guild mates with already claimed Account Wide mounts and companions and that is GOOD!!

My feedback for the future: Please increase the drop chance of obtaining Knox Boxes from dungeons chests. This change would greatly encourage dungeon runs and reroll usage.
  • tolwin55#5125 tolwin55 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I really like the Knox box. It may seem a bit of a let down when you only get a genie token, or reroll token, but like in any game of chance, the rewards cant all be top notch, otherwise its too easy. Opening 150 of those was like opening an early Christmas gift. It was worth the Zen. I got plenty of items I needed, others I could just hold unto for fun (like companions and mount that I may not need in terms of buffs my toon requires, but that I still want to use when I'm questing because they look way cool - for exemple, I am presently doing older campaigns, I dont need to equip my best dps companion to do these, so i can take out my green slime companion, which is just hilarious to see go to work. It makes for a very fulfilling Dungeons & Dragons/Forgotten REalms adventure - even if the combat systems, spells, etc. are different than the tabletop version of the game, adventuring in Neverwinter is like transposing my tabletop wizard to a computerized verions of the FR, and I must admit that the past week, after binding all the companions and mounts that dropped from the Knox box and using them in various settings, has only helped make my experience more enjoyable. Also, a lot of items dropped that I could sell and then use the AD to buy serious upgrades for my weapons and gear. I'm afraid the knox box, however, might end up being too much of a good thing. I dont know if it should be a permanent fixture. Maybe a recurring thing, instead. Overall, though, i think it was a great idea. I would add a few things, maybe, like a 1-month VIP sub, and other services, like bank slots. Hope my feedback helps. I also hope the negative comments do not impact the development team too much. I've played many games over the years, but I've rarely seen the level of vitrol coming from disgruntled fans that Neverwinter gets. There seems to be a several entitled bunch of people playing this game, or who quit this game, but simply won't be happy until they've convinced others to quit it too. Their energy would be better spent somewhere else. Please, keep up the good work, and I am looking forward to the next content.
  • stryker80#0653 stryker80 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    I agree with many of the comments here - PROS like showing the drop chance, and the pity meter especially. I think the number received for free, and purchasable from the WB is fair. As someone said, "devs got to eat too", so additional boxes for zen makes sense.

The drop-rate in dungeons might be low, or I may have experienced poor rng. I mean, I've seen 2 coal wards drop in dungeon / trial chests since they were added, and those are the "best" rewards I've received from chests, so I may be unlucky.

One thing I'd love to see, not Knox-box specific but certainly relevant to the rewards, is the ability to convert mounts to a choice of insignia powder, or upgrade tokens, and convert companions to upgrade tokens. Getting green / blue drops of mounts / comps that have bonuses I already have from another, and which I have no desire to equip for appearance or whatnot when they're bound often results in them just being destroyed.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    Well, the Knox Boxes itself is great, everything around it, not so much.

The current limit of 5 boxes per week from the Wondrous Bazaar should be increased to 25, we really need some decent AD sinks in this game.

And it would be nice to give those that couldn't get their 5 weekly boxes from the Wondrous Bazaar last week and this week a chance to buy all the missing ones next week.

Anyway, next time you want to drop something new into the game, please do a whole lot more testing and bug fixing before...
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • hexngone#5489 hexngone Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    I am perplexed about the long-term strategy experienced by the Knox Box as a reward.

Everyone who completes The Cloaked Ascendancy Campaign receives Promissory Notes. For years they have remained in player storage awaiting the appearance of a reward for their efforts. To their joy and delight, the Knox Box is introduced along with the means to purchase one with the Promissory Note as currency.

Great, Fantastic, worthwhile improvement, everyone who has retained their Promissory Note(s) is happy.

You should have stopped there.

But you did not, you offered the Knox Box as a limited-time reward, you gave it away as a weekly bonus to those who have not done The Cloaked Ascendancy Campaign. And you offer them for sale for Zen or for AD further diminishing the importance of completing The Cloaked Ascendancy Campaign.

Why is this a bad thing?
    1) What will be the reward for the player that receives a Promissory Note from The Cloaked Ascendancy Campaign the day after the Knox Box is no longer available? Will they wait 5 years for another reward? If the sole purpose of the reward was to redeem the Promissory Note then the plan for the future is not clear at all

2) Any reward for a task in Neverwinter that is not 'upgraded' as the game advances no longer becomes a reward but rather trash that needs to be converted into something relevant and useful. As was hinted in the posts above, a periodic update to the reward (Knox Box now, Irene Box next year, Percemer Box the following year) all clearly stated in a blog before they occur would be helpful and keep The Cloaked Ascendancy campaign alive and worthwhile.

3) Providing alternative ways to obtain a reward in the game dilutes the purpose of playing it. You already have Campaign Buyout Packs for all the areas of the game - Zen purchases for the impatient - you need nothing more 'to get to the endgame'. Every other means of obtaining those rewards outside of normal game progress is both greed and a disruption to the economy. In addition pushing players to the latest endgame content ruins the play experience for those with the experience and commitment to the game.

You should have only provided it as a reward for the Promissory Notes. .