test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

HC VoS Ring Reagents

thomasisalonethomasisalone Member Posts: 78 Arc User
Grinding the reagents to make a HC VoS ring is quite the soul-crushing adventure. The RNG is brutal, with people doing over 100 runs on a single miniboss never seeing a reagent. Recently, I've heard that the drop rate of a reagent from all minibosses is ~10 %, and can only be given to one member of the party. (The Shard of the Night Diamond has a 50% drop rate, and multiple people can get it. It's not from a miniboss either).

With 5 people in the party, the chance that you as an individual will get a reagent is just 2%. If someone already has a reagent - and you can only have one in your inventory at a time - they are still included in the roll if a reagent drops, and get a sad error message if they get the reagent. The fact that someone can do 100s of runs and never see a component make some sense given how low the chance of getting a component is.

VoS HC is a test of skill and patience. The two rings are a good reward for figuring out the endgame dungeon plus extra bosses and, as a team, doing it deathless. But having to be patient with RNG? This kills any enjoyment or satisfaction. When I finally got my band of air, it didn't feel good. I felt tired, awful, and bored from the grind - this is a universal experience. And I was lucky to be on vacation so I could afford to dump a lot of hours into grinding it out over a week.

The ultimate issue is this: there is no clear end to the grind. Theoretically, you could exclusively run HC VoS every day for hours and never see components, all because of the random number generator. ToMM and ZCM at least give some currency at the end so you know that you will only have to do 20 completes before you're guaranteed to get a weapon, on top of the chance of one dropping. This makes a ToMM or ZCM farm much more rewarding as an experience because the grind is ultimately finite.

The game is shifting to RNG being the dictator of loot. It shouldn't be, but it is. Therefore, it seems unlikely that the RNG of a miniboss drop is going to go away (but it should!) Within this constraint, these are my suggestion for HC VoS reagents:
  • Substantially increase the drop rate for components. Knowing it is dropping regularly does a lot for motivation.
  • If someone has a component, they should be excluded from the roll table. They can't get it anyway and its lame to see that notification come up saying you can only have one of each component.
  • Completing HC VoS gives a currency that can be exchanged (either in New Sharandar or at the end of the dungeon) for a component you don't have. 20 completes for a component would match ToMM or Zariel, but the VoS takes (more than) double the time so 10 completes would equate to at least similar amount of time.

Last thing - add a shop for VoS legendary already! The player base has made it clear that this is something they want. RNG sucks and isn't unrewarding.

Comments

• hexngone#5489 hexngone Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited November 2021

• If someone has a component, they should be excluded from the roll table. They can't get it anyway and its lame to see that notification come up saying you can only have one of each component.

The need for the functionality of checking a player's inventory and setting parameters prior to an RNG roll is exhibited in many other areas of the game. As an example, this problem exists in the current Siege of Neverwinter event regarding Neverwinter Siegebreaker's Charger mount drops, and has been an irritation in the event for as long as I remember (>4 years). I realize that coming up with an elegant solution to this problem is not an easy one, but the frustration documented here by the OP is a fine example of why it is really, really needed.

D&D at it's core is about dice rolls, we get that. But wisely deciding when the core mechanism becomes an unreasonable factor in player enjoyment and when/how to limit it is the real design problem. Posted odds for Enchantment upgrading was a good example of a past solution.

• darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    100% agree, the currency should also be used on other rings, so there is a finite grind for all, even if you have to do 20 runs for each ring or reagent, this is needed to avoid frustration

Another option is to make reagents and rings work with unbind tokens, so people can farm the dungeon even if they have the items for themselves.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • olocancom#0595 olocancom Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    @nitocris83 @eminnerdev#8159 @crypticpop#7861 @noworries#8859 or any other Dev out there.

Every week there is new post on this topic. Can you please at least acknowledge us on this issue?

We're happy to grind and work for items, but we need to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Players that have been grinding vos from the start still do not have the ring that would compliment their build from the chests. From the players I've spoken with, this is the biggest grievance among them.
  • thomasisalonethomasisalone Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    I need to make an correction: I got the reagent drop rate wrong. It's actually 5%, not 10%, so the chance you get a reagent is 1% not 2%. 100 runs on average to get a reagent is just painful.
  • kriti84kriti84 Member Posts: 5 Arc User

I need to make an correction: I got the reagent drop rate wrong. It's actually 5%, not 10%, so the chance you get a reagent is 1% not 2%. 100 runs on average to get a reagent is just painful.

I am over 150 runs, and still not getting the reagent from the 3rd boss... I guess nobody cares about it ! :(
  • nemesis19881988nemesis19881988 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    kriti84 said:

I am over 150 runs, and still not getting the reagent from the 3rd boss... I guess nobody cares about it ! :(
    290 runs and still cant get 2nd and 3rd reagent developers dont even care anymore , i dont run anymore hc vos looks like waste of time drop rates are more like 0.01% , developers cares only for money now
  • irene#2829 irene Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    err how to check how many times we have ran vos? :p
  • oberonsghostoberonsghost Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    The number of dents in the wall where you threw the controller is a rough guide.