test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FINAL UPDATE - [PC] Upcoming OS and DirectX Support Changes

Comments

• kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited November 2021

My home PC is powerful enough to run Windows 10/11. But in the summer I live in my country house, where I have an old PC with Pentium E5700, 4GB ddr2-800 and geforce gts 450 1GB. It is impossible to install Windows 10 on this PC, but with Windows 7 it works fine and DirectX 11 is supported there. In fact, if you stop supporting Windows 7 from February 15, 2022, then I and several of my friends will leave the game. Do you want this? You will get this.

so you own 1 house and a 2nd summer vacation home but you cant afford to upgrade/ maintain an extra computer ... how ironic ..

here is an idea.. why not bring/ borrow your good home computer to replace your 2nd vacation homes hamsters computer ? and then bring it back when you are done vacationing .. problem solved
  • nicolya#6604 nicolya Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    > @kalina311 said:
    > so you own 1 house and a 2nd summer vacation home but you cant afford to upgrade/ maintain an extra computer ... how ironic ..
    >
    > here is an idea.. why not bring/ borrow your good home computer to replace your 2nd vacation homes hamsters computer ? and then bring it back when you are done vacationing .. problem solved

I have another idea. Let someone from the developers explain to me why stop supporting Windows 7 if the game is made under DirectX 11?
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,206 Arc User
    edited November 2021

> @kalina311 said:
    > so you own 1 house and a 2nd summer vacation home but you cant afford to upgrade/ maintain an extra computer ... how ironic ..
    >
    > here is an idea.. why not bring/ borrow your good home computer to replace your 2nd vacation homes hamsters computer ? and then bring it back when you are done vacationing .. problem solved

I have another idea. Let someone from the developers explain to me why stop supporting Windows 7 if the game is made under DirectX 11?

The simple official answer from most software companies is Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7 and that has nothing to do with DirectX 11.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    edited November 2021
    > @plasticbat said:
    > The simple official answer from most software companies is Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7 and that has nothing to do with DirectX 11.
    This is not a sufficient argument. I don’t know of any other MMO RPG that has stopped supporting Windows 7. Precisely because there is no technical need for this, but this action reduces the availability of the game and narrows the audience.
    The stupidest thing that Neverwinter developers could come up with was to shoot themselves in the foot again. Applause.
    I remember the famous phrase of the guard from Skyrim:
    "I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee"...
    edited November 2021

> @plasticbat said:
    > The simple official answer from most software companies is Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7 and that has nothing to do with DirectX 11.
    This is not a sufficient argument. I don’t know of any other MMO RPG that has stopped supporting Windows 7. Precisely because there is no technical need for this, but this action reduces the availability of the game and narrows the audience.
    The stupidest thing that Neverwinter developers could come up with was to shoot themselves in the foot again. Applause.

It is not an argument. It is an answer for your question "why stop supporting Windows 7".

My company also "stop" supporting the OS which is not supported by the OS vendor. We charged annual maintenance $N for our software. When the OS is not supported by the OS vendor, customer has one year grace period to upgrade to the newer OS. After that, the official annual maintenance will be 2 x $N. Every year after, will add another 20%.
    i.e.
    1st year: $N
    2nd year: $2N
    3rd year: $2N x 1.2
    4th year: $2N x 1.2 x 1.2

If they upgrade, it will go back to $N.

At least, we got paid for the extra effort to support/test/... an obsolete OS.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    edited November 2021
    Of course, I will leave the game along with my entire guild, if this idiocy continues, I can only wish the developers to quickly kill Neverwinter with such decisions. Good luck, pleasant apocalypse.
    If the developers do not care about the players, then in general there is nothing to regret.
    Post edited by nicolya#6604 on
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

> @plasticbat said:

MMOs that have stopped supporting Windows 7: DDO and FF XIV. At least those are the ones I found in the more populated games. Final Fantasy is doing quite well and isn't dying because of the move. I'm sure more MMOs will join in that list as time progresses.
    > @kalina311 said:
    >

Dude, you won't believe, but I have not 2 but 4 houses. And maybe because I'm not so dumb to buy new things just because they are new ... Especially if the old things are still performing their functions quite well. Just think about it sometime at your leisure.
    edited November 2021
    > @arazith07 said:
    > MMOs that have stopped supporting Windows 7: DDO and FF XIV. At least those are the ones I found in the more populated games. Final Fantasy is doing quite well and isn't dying because of the move. I'm sure more MMOs will join in that list as time progresses.

Okay, you found 2 Korean MMO games that don't support Windows 7. That's roughly 4% of the really popular MMOs. The other 96% support Windows 7. I can find a couple of pieces of dog sh*t in your backyard too, does that mean your whole backyard is made of dog sh*t?

P.S. DDO system requirments (Steam):
    MINIMUM:
    Processor: Core 2 Duo / AMD Athlon II or better
    Memory: 2GB
    Hard Disk Space: 32GB for high resolution*
    Video Card: GeForce 7XXX / ATI Radeon HD 3000 series
    with 512MB or more of dedicated video memory
    DirectX®: 9.0c
    Internet Connection: Cable or DSL Connection

Even Black Desert Online System Requirements (Minimum)
    CPU: Intel Core i3-530 2.9 GHz
    CPU SPEED: Info
    RAM: 4 GB
    VIDEO CARD: GTS 250, GeForce 9800 GTX, Radeon HD 3870 X2
    PIXEL SHADER: 5.0
    VERTEX SHADER: 5.0
    FREE DISK SPACE: 27 GB
    DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 512 MB

Black Desert Online Recommended Requirements
    CPU: Intel Core i5-650 3.2GHz
    CPU SPEED: Info
    RAM: 8 GB
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 970, AMD RX 480
    PIXEL SHADER: 5.1
    VERTEX SHADER: 5.1
    FREE DISK SPACE: 27 GB
    DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 4096 MB

So... just FF XIV (1% of dog sh*t detected, well... ur in good company! Grats)
    Post edited by nicolya#6604 on
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited November 2021

> @kalina311 said:
    >

Dude, you won't believe, but I have not 2 but 4 houses. And maybe because I'm not so dumb to buy new things just because they are new ... Especially if the old things are still performing their functions quite well. Just think about it sometime at your leisure.

if your old house was performing its function quite well why then did you buy new ones ? LOL just think about that sometime in your own leisure ..
  • fyrstigorfyrstigor Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    Final fantasy 14 is second biggest MMO atm, close to biggest. So even if they are just 1% of games they have far more % of players.

Let's face facts, most who still use windows 7 is people who doesn't wanna spend money getting better. Likely hood of them buying zen will be lower than someone who is willing to spend money on upgrades. If a player base isn't willing to buy zen they mean nothing to cryptic and their voices have no impact. Even further it's just a small % of gamers who still use windows 7 so it's a very small amount of players they exclude.
    And Cryptic haven't really shown in the last year's they are willing to spend the money to make NW good again, or to even code a well rounded game with no obvious lazy dev bugs. So how can u imagine they will keep spending money on maintaining support to an old system most doesn't use?

But hey, leave the game, take all ur buddies with u. It's a free world and i support ur choice in standing up for an OS that's about to die and get killed by it's maker. Though before u and ur buddies do leave, please send all ur stuff to @fyrst_igor :)
    > @fyrstigor said:
    > Final fantasy 14 is second biggest MMO atm, close to biggest. So even if they are just 1% of games they have far more % of players.
    >
    > Let's face facts, most who still use windows 7 is people who doesn't wanna spend money getting better. Likely hood of them buying zen will be lower than someone who is willing to spend money on upgrades. If a player base isn't willing to buy zen they mean nothing to cryptic and their voices have no impact. Even further it's just a small % of gamers who still use windows 7 so it's a very small amount of players they exclude.
    > And Cryptic haven't really shown in the last year's they are willing to spend the money to make NW good again, or to even code a well rounded game with no obvious lazy dev bugs. So how can u imagine they will keep spending money on maintaining support to an old system most doesn't use?
    >
    > But hey, leave the game, take all ur buddies with u. It's a free world and i support ur choice in standing up for an OS that's about to die and get killed by it's maker. Though before u and ur buddies do leave, please send all ur stuff to @fyrst_igor :)

No man, you won't get anything from me. I don't like freeloaders. Looking at how you defend the madness of the developers, everything is clear with the community. Compared to EVE-Online, this is just a herd.
    > @kalina311 said:
    > if your old house was performing its function quite well why then did you buy new ones ? LOL just think about that sometime in your own leisure ..

If you don’t know why people buy houses and land in different regions, then I’m sorry for you.
    edited November 2021
    @nicolya#6604 u have any experience with software development?
    > @fyrstigor said:
    > @"nicolya#6604" u have any experience with software development?

Why do you need to know what experience and in what areas I have? Do you want to discuss personalities? It is enough for you to know that I am a user of this game and I am already starting to regret the time spent on it. Especially looking at what the community has become.

> @fyrstigor said:
    > @nicolya#6604 u have any experience with software development?

Why do you need to know what experience and in what areas I have? Do you want to discuss personalities? It is enough for you to know that I am a user of this game and I am already starting to regret the time spent on it. Especially looking at what the community has become.

I'll take that as a no. Now it's more clear to me why u think the only difference between win 7 and 10 is the number. Why u think direct 10 is the same as direct 11. I understand ur mad ur potatoe PC can't run NW anymore and u now have to move ur main PC around. I get how annoying that is when u dont have the muscle strength to lift it.

I do have experience with software development. And I can tell u it's very common practice to not support older versions of thngs. This because as development goes on, the core gets bigger, code gets more complicated and intertwined it gets harder and harder to support multiple different libraries with all kinds of different things in them. For instance if u wanna support this one function that was brand new in direct 11, but doesn't exist in direct 10, u have to limit urself if to the oldest supported stuff or u have to code for both cases. That's more to test it's more to maintain and more work down the line. And u can quickly end up with function calls that aren't 100% the same in every different OS version and direct version.

> @fyrstigor said:
    > @nicolya#6604 u have any experience with software development?

It's relevant to the conversation though, as we are talking about software after all. I would rate your opinions higher if you had any experience in the field. Similar to how one would value the opinion of a medical doctor over that of someone who only took high school chemistry when talking about medical conditions. There are people in this thread who actually have experience dealing with software and having to ensure that their software can work with all the various operating systems. I recognize that they have a lot more knowledge than I, a mere full-time gamer, would have.
    edited November 2021
    > @fyrstigor said:
    > I'll take that as a no. Now it's more clear to me why u think the only difference between win 7 and 10 is the number. Why u think direct 10 is the same as direct 11. I understand ur mad ur potatoe PC can't run NW anymore and u now have to move ur main PC around. I get how annoying that is when u dont have the muscle strength to lift it.
    >
    > I do have experience with software development. And I can tell u it's very common practice to not support older versions of thngs. This because as development goes on, the core gets bigger, code gets more complicated and intertwined it gets harder and harder to support multiple different libraries with all kinds of different things in them. For instance if u wanna support this one function that was brand new in direct 11, but doesn't exist in direct 10, u have to limit urself if to the oldest supported stuff or u have to code for both cases. That's more to test it's more to maintain and more work down the line. And u can quickly end up with function calls that aren't 100% the same in every different OS version and direct version.

You can take whatever you want in your fevered fantasy. Windows 7 supports DirectX 11, if you didn't know that. On this, perhaps, we will end the conversation. Everything is clear with you, "expert".
    It's not only about directx. The windows does also play a part here.
    Yeah, yeah, I can play Red Dead Redemption 2 with maximum settings and I can’t play the soapy Neverwinter. But Neverwinter will not support Windows 7. Wow! A truly great achievement!
    edited November 2021

> @fyrstigor said:
    > I'll take that as a no. Now it's more clear to me why u think the only difference between win 7 and 10 is the number. Why u think direct 10 is the same as direct 11. I understand ur mad ur potatoe PC can't run NW anymore and u now have to move ur main PC around. I get how annoying that is when u dont have the muscle strength to lift it.
    >
    > I do have experience with software development. And I can tell u it's very common practice to not support older versions of thngs. This because as development goes on, the core gets bigger, code gets more complicated and intertwined it gets harder and harder to support multiple different libraries with all kinds of different things in them. For instance if u wanna support this one function that was brand new in direct 11, but doesn't exist in direct 10, u have to limit urself if to the oldest supported stuff or u have to code for both cases. That's more to test it's more to maintain and more work down the line. And u can quickly end up with function calls that aren't 100% the same in every different OS version and direct version.

You can take whatever you want in your fevered fantasy. Windows 7 supports DirectX 11, if you didn't know that. On this, perhaps, we will end the conversation. Everything is clear with you, "expert".

Gaming code does not depends on Direct X only which is just a part of the program. One of the reason I hate Windows 7 as developer (not a gaming developer) is its high resolution clock API is bad (basically does not exist in a normal way) and that has nothing to do with DirectX. That was changed in Windows 8. I am not saying NW has this issue but there are many other issues in Windows 7 that were fixed/changed in later OS.

Yeah, yeah, I can play Red Dead Redemption 2 with maximum settings and I can’t play the soapy Neverwinter. But Neverwinter will not support Windows 7. Wow! A truly great achievement!

U mean this single player game that came out 2 years ago, made for systems at the time, doesn't have to worry about future updates. Doesnt have to change to keep up to date.

U know a lot of the games that came out for windows 95 runs like HAMSTER on windows 7 or not at all. Wonder why that is. Could it maybe be because the OS changed quite a bit at the core and the games was made for windows 95 but never updated to support Windows 7.

I know progress and advancement can be hard to accept when u dont understand it. When u think a program is a program, everything runs the same and the only changes are the ones u can see. But did u know it phone actually does the same thing? Google will decide what phones are powerfully enough to run what version. If they decide ur hardware cant run the next android version ur not gonna get it, and if u make an app that uses something from that next android version and therefore requires min android x, someone with lower android aren't gonna be able to download said app.

Are u complaining to google about this too? Or apple for that matter since they also do the same?
    edited November 2021
    When win95 was not supported, people did not want to use XP because win95 ran nicely.
    When XP was not supported, people did not want to use Windows 7 because XP ran nicely.
    When Windows 7 is not supported, people did not want to use Windows 10 because Windows 7 ran nicely.
    When Windows 10 will not be supported, people will not want to use Windows 14 because Windows 10 ran nicely.
    Guess what? All these people upgraded and will upgrade if they stay alive in real world and computer world.
    edited November 2021
    I read your outpourings and think what is wrong with your brains?
    An old multiplayer game, on an old engine, for a mass audience, free-to-play, designed for users with not very powerful computers.
    Suddenly refuses to support old OS w/o any technical need.
    And what am I reading?
    Cries about the difficulties of programming, historical excursions into the days of Windows 95 ... Guys, now developers can twist you, bend, to feed you with sh*t and you will say "Thank you, sir, come on again!"
    Masochists.
    Bye-bye. I won't write you anything else here, I won't bother your tired brains anymore.
    Less time spent on supporting outdated operating systems means more time bug fixing. Windows 7 is ancient compared to the scale of technology, and as others have stated limits what developers can do to make their lives easier. The dev team is small compared to most other games.

I read your outpourings and think what is wrong with your brains?
    An old multiplayer game, on an old engine, for a mass audience, free-to-play, designed for users with not very powerful computers.
    Suddenly refuses to support old OS w/o any technical need.
    And what am I reading?
    Cries about the difficulties of programming, historical excursions into the days of Windows 95 ... Guys, now developers can twist you, bend, to feed you with sh*t and you will say "Thank you, sir, come on again!"
    Masochists.

Sure its an older game. Sure its an older engine. But its their own engine that they upgrade though the years, so its no the same state as it was when the game came out. U know progress and all.

Some of us have experience with programming and because of that understand why dropping support for win 7 can be a good thing. Some have no experience but with logic sees that less time spent supporting old OS can mean more time fixing bugs. And then there is u with the tinfoil hat who believes this is a conspiracy against u and ur friends who love win 7, that its dictated by Microsoft that Cryptic drop support for win 7.

Im not crying about anything, as is many others, we just state facts. Only one actually crying is u.

Have u considered moving to the Amish people and living with them? They also dont understand modern technology and dont believe in progress. I think u would fit in well there, and on the bright side u would never have to worry about things changing again, everything would be the same forever for u.
  • undeadokundeadok Member Posts: 1 New User
    Are you jealous? At least the Amish will accept him. But even the Amish will not accept you with your poor knowledge of the OS and the statements that Windows 7 does not work with DirectX 11. They certainly do not need such illiterate "experts". LOL
    undeadok said:

Are you jealous? At least the Amish will accept him. But even the Amish will not accept you with your poor knowledge of the OS and the statements that Windows 7 does not work with DirectX 11. They certainly do not need such illiterate "experts". LOL

Did i ever say Directx 11 doesnt work with windows 7? Cause i didnt, cause i know thats not true. I also never called myself an expert. But nice try.
    edited November 2021
    undeadok said:

Who in this thread said Windows 7 does not work with DirectX 11? I may have missed some posts but I don't recall anyone did.