test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is "progress" busted by 2x?

plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
edited November 2021 in Bug Reports (PC)
My character started the day with 44%. I did an Epic HE and solo 3 minor HE in River district. Killed many and the progress is still 44%.
May be it is just a typo. It is a 0x instead of 2x event.
*** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***

Comments

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    I've had that happen before on a character for a day, outside of the event. Yesterday, however, I had two characters get rewards. My guess is that whatever happened to you was a bug independent of the event.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • muschellka#7783 muschellka Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    I have the same problem. Once the second award is claimed, the progress stops at 98%. On the next character, however, it is very slowed down compared to normal. It happened to me before the event and now for the second time.
    If this is WAI, the event doesn't make any sense at all.
  • yamioni#9870 yamioni Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    I went to Sharandar and did the three bounty quests. Killed enough bounty mobs for all three, plus a handful of other mobs (probably 30-40 total?) as well as one minor HE.

Sum total of progress gained? 4% ... Totally not worth the effort, but not completely broken (for me at least.)

I never really paid much attention to the rate at which I gained progress before the event (though it felt excruciatingly slow, as well,) so it's hard to say if this really is "2x".

It would help if the tracker displayed absolute values (i.e YYY/ZZZ) instead of hiding the progress behind a percentage. I turned in three quests, and the progress didn't move. But I have no idea if they didn't give any progress, or if the progress was so small that the tracker didn't move to the next percent...

The system is rather frustrating, since it's a black-box that sometimes spits out rewards that aren't exciting at all, and which come much less frequently than they used to. It feels a bit like "gambling" in the sense that sometimes the rewards are quite nice, but slot machines are really boring when you only get to pull that arm every 20 hours...

Having an event focused around getting those rewards faster doesn't make much sense to me either, when there isn't much drive to "do stuff" to get the rewards in the first place. If they're meant to be periodic "thank you"s for continuing to play the game, great, I can get along with that. But the design, coupled with this event are just confusing to me. Do you want us to "farm" the event or not?

(Edit for my fractions example. Apparently three "X"s get hamster'd)
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    I expected there is a cap. Hence, I expected it would eventually slow down or stop.
    I expected the movement of percentage is slow.

However, what I did not expect is: that character did not do anything for days. On that day, it started at 44% and I expected I did more than necessary (as I mentioned in the first post) to move the needle (such as 1%). It did not move at all. It stayed at 44%.

Eventually, it did move but the reward were not something I care so far. I played 2 characters and I stopped when they got their progress reward. One genie's gift and one scroll of life which is account bound and it cannot be stacked with another 2 stacks of account bound scroll of life.

So, I used 4 inventory slots to store:
    one stack of 21 account bound scroll of life,
    one stack of 34 account bound scroll of life,
    one stack of 24 unbound scroll of life and
    1 account bound scroll of life (from progress reward).

The 3 account bound scroll of life have the exact appearance and description but they don't stack together.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    There shouldn't be a cap, imo. It's a reward for playing.

Things not stacking together means there is a difference to them behind the curtain.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    Hey folks! As this was our first time running the event, we are closely gathering feedback. Thanks for everyone's input while we look into the different experiences players had with the event.
    Currently, based on my limited experience of this matter, I conclude that killing stuff in HE does not count towards the "progress'.
  • stryker80#0653 stryker80 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    It's not just the event though. The entire "progress" thing is completely undefined. Yes, the rewards are nicer than the previous "overflow experience" rewards, but what counts as "progress"? Why does it feel like killing 100 things in one zone counts for a significantly different amount of progress than killing 100 things in another zone? And, I'm not talking about Sharandar vs. Neverdeath Graveyard, I'm comparing "end-game" campaign zones here.

Even with the improved rewards, they're still not the kind of thing I'd grind for, even at a 2x event. They are nice bonuses - thank you, devs, for that. But that's all I view them as; a bonus that pops up now and then.
    You could win two awards in a day. Which is exactly the same as without the event.
    If the single scrolls and useless Genie's gift were removed from the rewards pool, it could be worthwhile.
    So far, unfortunately, these are the most frequent rewards, so it's a waste of time.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Genie's Gifts aren't useless if you ever decide to start a new character.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    edited November 2021
    How shall I put it. . .
    Admittedly, I didn't decide about that , but I have new characters and I still don't find Genie's Gifts too useful.
    And so the progress of every old campaign is artificially slowed down or locked behind a crazy grind.
    This could be useful for old players/accounts.
    The new ones, won't benefit from them.

How shall I put it. . .
    Admittedly, I didn't decide about that , but I have new characters and I still don't find Genie's Gifts too useful.
    And so the progress of every old campaign is artificially slowed down or locked behind a crazy grind.

I made a few new characters in the past 2 years. I have tons of Genie's Gifts. However, I never use any of them.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    Yeah I have appx 100 Genie's Gifts - they are a total 'meh' as a reward. I used maybe 30 of them on my new bard but until they make them usable on ALL legacy campaigns, they are not a decent reward.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • tommy069#5108 tommy069 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    From some testing I've been doing on XBox, the points are (as I;m sure most people already know) based on the number of dots above a monsters head.

This doesn't vary from zone to zone, so "4 Star" Frost Giant Berserker in Icewind Dale offers the same points as a 4 Star Demon or Devil in Avernus.

This makes the Stronghold a pretty good way to farm these points.
    Frost Giants and Stormcallers are all 4 Star, and hang out very close together in my wimpy little L11 Stronghold, down near the lake.

It takes me about 30 minutes on my 50K Rogue to get 100% just running that little corner.

Some Heroic Encounter monsters DO give points, but others don't

"Lake Supply Woes" for example SHOULD provide a good 3 or 4% minimum due to the four add groups after the initial phase with the four groups and the crates.
    It actually awards ZERO points.
    Killing all the monsters in the T3 "Lake Crisis" likewise offers zero % progress, when it should do at least 3% if you do it solo.

The monsters in the four basic T1s such as Devils, Spiders, Drakes and Beasts, DO give about 2-3% per HE.

There seems to be no consistency on Daily Cap.
    I tested two days ago and my Rogue managed a total of exactly 206% points before being capped. Others seem to have managed 250% in one day.

And there's all sorts of reasons to use Genie's Gifts beyond the basic "levelling alts."

My Guild needs resources. It's only R11.
    Due to Genies Gifts and a Double Icewind Dale Currency event, I can farm over 10'000 Icewind Tales Treasure per day for the next few months if I want towards the 300'000+ I need for my next few structures.
    This function obviously applies to Dread Ring and Dark Gifts.

I also often farm the Dread Ring Lairs for ES5s on double RP events, and using those Genie's gifts on double currency allows me to buy a HAMSTER load of Thayan Lair Keys without having to grind.
  • slesreth#2147 slesreth Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Just to give my experience with the 2x event. I had an avatar close to progress reward, so I finished the Maize Engine quest line from mission 8 through 12 and made 0x progress. Went to Icewind Dale to finish some legacy quest rewards for Sybella and completed the progress reward using HE only.
    As others have noted, I don't have a base line to compare with, so I don't know how much faster I earned progress. Or, as the case might be, how much slower I earned progress.
    I know HE in Icewind Dale work, but I have noticed that HE in other zones didn't seem to contribute. I didn't bother to remember where at the time, I will edit this if I notice this anywhere I play today.
    edited November 2021
    Lol, devs working so fast. Too bad they don't have the same zeal to fix bugs, then this game would be really great.
    The day after the event ended. It is no longer possible to win more than one reward per day :D
    This is a simple way the devs fixed a faulty designed event <3
    From now on, the event makes sense. But is it worth it? Judge for yourself. . .

The 14 rewards are as follows:
    2x blue insignia
    1x 10 tradebars
    1x 5 tradebars
    1x pres ward
    1x 10 unbind tokens
    3x mass scroll
    3x scroll of life
    1x 5k ad
    1x Genie's Gifts
    You could say super premium drop :)

Just 250 more events like this and I'll make myself my first mythical insignia. Provided, of course, that I have some legendary beforehand :pensive:
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    Add to that list 20 companion upgrade tokens (I'm sure it was 20 but didn't note it down, don't think it was 25) I had them drop twice very early-on. But lately only genies gifts or scrolls of life. P.S. CN is good place to farm blue insignia.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.