test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Healer problems with aggro

There is a serious problem somewhere but i have no idea what is causing this. As cleric healer in lostmauth (and elsewhere but that was the most recent), i gain aggro and cannot lose it. Once gained, it is seems impossible to lose even when i do nothing but run around avoiding mobs/boss with an occasional cast of healing word or such. Seems like aggro is only lost when whichever mob is focused on me dies.

Makes life difficult in LOL since no one is paying attention to who has aggro and I get no obvious help trying to shake it. The tank cannot seem to take it away at all. In daily questing, I've noticed that I stay in combat (in dps loadout) for a short period of time (longer than normal) after the last mob is killed. Often i go in and out of combat (hearing the dum-dum-dum sound) and can't mount.

I suspect it might be a piece of gear but i haven't changed anything (outside of companions) in quite a while. Anyone else?

Comments

• mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    It is as it should be.

Heal generates a lot of aggro on all mobs - I think 1 hate for 1 hp heal.

If you use Healing Word you will heal many people and generate aggro correspondingly.

There is a reason why healers get +10% extra hp ;)

If a mob is not getting hit by anyone it will have little aggro on anyone else and you will quickly be on top of hate list.
    It is the common responsibility of the group to make sure healer is kept reasonably free of aggro - basically make sure all mobs are hit by someone.
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User

There is a serious problem somewhere but i have no idea what is causing this. As cleric healer in lostmauth (and elsewhere but that was the most recent), i gain aggro and cannot lose it. Once gained, it is seems impossible to lose even when i do nothing but run around avoiding mobs/boss with an occasional cast of healing word or such. Seems like aggro is only lost when whichever mob is focused on me dies.

Makes life difficult in LOL since no one is paying attention to who has aggro and I get no obvious help trying to shake it. The tank cannot seem to take it away at all. In daily questing, I've noticed that I stay in combat (in dps loadout) for a short period of time (longer than normal) after the last mob is killed. Often i go in and out of combat (hearing the dum-dum-dum sound) and can't mount.

I suspect it might be a piece of gear but i haven't changed anything (outside of companions) in quite a while. Anyone else?

The thing causing the in and out of combat may be a power ring. The old Ring of Brutality which dropped in Demo used to do that, I now use the Ring of the Brutal Fiend and it also does it. Very annoying but it always did it on those rings. Did you recently switch to a power ring?

I play Cleric and have also noticed that once a single mob enemy attaches to me, it's almost impossible to shake it off. The only way I've managed to do it is run around in a circle so it's on the opposite side of everything and sometimes (not always) it will switch but mostly not, but yea, I am finding that lately I am generating more aggro than I was before and I get them stuck to me like glue. Mentinmindmaker said that Healers generate lots of aggro, I remember when I first played cleric back in the first year of the game mod 2, I got a lot of aggro and mobs would routinely notice me even from a distance, often they would focus on me more than anyone else. I then switched to GWF and then CW and years later have returned to Cleric again and was relieved to find that this was no longer the case. I really noticed the difference after having it so bad in the first place. But lately I've had them stick to me like glue, it seems particularly bad in Malabog, so I think there is something in what you're saying. Tbh they keep tinkering with the fundamentals of the game under the hood and adjusting so many things lately without telling anyone I would not be surprised if they'd done it intentionally.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • powerpuff#6508 powerpuff Member Posts: 212 Arc User

Tbh they keep tinkering with the fundamentals of the game under the hood and adjusting so many things lately without telling anyone I would not be surprised if they'd done it intentionally.

I fear the more appropriate word is "unintentionally". I really started noticing in Lostmauth since I now need to farm that for Breyer's - the mobs are glued (good choice of words) and I have to run around to stay alive. Guess I need to try divine glow to see if that works - but I've never had (or maybe noticed) this problem before. No power rings - just piercing ring of the killer (x2). Need to try warlock healer to see if same problem exists but that one is still a little underpowered.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Healing does give aggro, split with the recipient. But if you are healing 5 people (including yourself) the split isn't going to stop you from gaining aggro as you are getting 60% of the aggro. If the tank is using appropriate skills, they shouldn't have any problems taking the aggro from you. Are you running with a person you know as tank or just going by random people. The latter gives a really skewed sense of how things are. Templar's Wrath, Enforced Threat and other skills will do the trick but just attacking probably won't.

The combat thing sounds like the bug from marking a target, but that shouldn't be a concern solo if you do quests as Arbiter.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    I marked someone really recently and when my ring did its usual thing of making my arm go up and down while I was running along after we just stopped fighting, I noticed the person I marked was going in and out of combat at exactly the same moments as I was. I was like this is not supposed to be happening, we're linked in a way we should not be.
    I just found something strange. I normally only do pug queues as heal, but today I've been doing only DPS and the boom boom boom thing is not happening. I'm still wearing the same rings and gear, only things which have changed are I'm using Mirage set instead of Legion Guard (same enchants though) and I got my wings today and am wearing those and they changed my voice btw what's with that. But it's not happening on DPS anyway which is weird.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    It's 'possible' the tank marking has some kind of threat transference - if it's subtle, then it could explain increased threat on healers and decreased threat output for tanks. It would need proper testing to see if there's any truth in it though.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
    For my LoL issue, i've been running pugs so no idea how experienced the tank is. Talking with Wicked (who doesn't?), he says much the same. Tank should be able to take it back but that doesn't seem to be happening. And generally in LoL, people just start running into combat as soon as they warp in - no organizing, no "let me set heal mark" time, no waiting for everyone to assemble, not even waiting for tank.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,206 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    Healing gets aggro since the beginning of the game. If you do PVP, you would want to kill the healer first too.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,206 Arc User
    edited November 2021

I really started noticing in Lostmauth since I now need to farm that for Breyer's

I assume you want Breyer's for your own use. You can buy it from AH for 24K AD per. Or, you can buy it from ToD store with 5K and 20 gold (if you have enough campaign currencies) per.

If you are only farming it for selling, I don't think it worth the effort.

*** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***

I assume you want Breyer's for your own use. You can buy it from AH for 24K AD per. Or, you can buy it from ToD store with 5K and 20 gold (if you have enough campaign currencies) per.

Correct - but I do like to "earn" these! That is still a bit of currency for a toon that is trying to complete the campaign.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    edited November 2021

Healing gets aggro since the beginning of the game. If you do PVP, you would want to kill the healer first too.

Yep we know. However the healer mark is relatively new and we're now seeing this 'held in combat' problem between healers & tanks as well as an increase in complaints from them. I'm just wondering if there's a causal link between the issues.

We've not heard anything from Cryptic on the problem with staying in combat so we don't have any solid info on the subject yet.

What'd be really useful would be the addition of a threat output stat to the stats board so we can see our idle threat output and how it increases with various powers. This would be a great help to healers as well as tanks.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    The mark doesn't have to be on a tank to cause the issue. I've had it while on a dps doing Bel runs and got it after the fight each time.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    Good points. I've seen the heal mark problem and have wondered the same. There are lots of things I would like to see added to the combat log - some sort of threat numbers is a good suggestion. I would really like to know the actual increase from the "supplies" produced by my ranger's "hunter's teamwork" power.