test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Throw me a rope!" - add another option for getting out of crevices

Nearby players or your companion should be able to use a rope to help you get out of crevices. I recently had "50' rope" in my inventory when I got trapped between rocks that were just tall enough I couldn't short-range teleport out of. Near as I can tell, that particular rope had no in-game use except to be sold to a merchant.

Why not make rope a tool, instead of just worth a few coins? A player could signal "Throw me a rope!", and your companion or a nearby NPC would throw a line down and hold it while you climb out. Or "Pull me up!", if the stuck player is the one with the rope.

I got in that hole by using short-range teleport to jump backwards away from death, but I've been trapped a lot of times. Through lots of different circumstances. With my companion hopping in and out of the trap with ease, while happy to leave me in there for all eternity.

::What did I ever do to YOU, dear companion? …O, that's right: used you as a reusable meat shield which auto-resurrects a few seconds after dying.::

Currently, characters can easily get into spots they can't climb out of, and may have to switch instances (if one is available) or /defeat themselves. This seems unnecessarily punishing. I, for one, would heartily welcome our new coil-bearing saviors.

Comments

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Look at it carefully... it's fifty inches of rope.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    People throw you a rope all the time but they just throw you the whole rope.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • scratcheesscratchees Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    somebody get this guy a rope
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    *tosses down the whole rope*
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    /stuck command = rope
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Lol, lots of 'rope throwers' here I see :joy:
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
    On topic, seeing as "I'm stuck" appears to never ever work, it would be nice to have an alternative to forced suicide.

Being thrown a rope would be a fun visual mechanic that would see people deliberately getting stuck in weird places just so they can be rescued!

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

On topic, seeing as "I'm stuck" appears to never ever work, it would be nice to have an alternative to forced suicide.

Being thrown a rope would be a fun visual mechanic that would see people deliberately getting stuck in weird places just so they can be rescued!

In that case, it should not be a rope but something like Mako elevated the castle top up in the intro video.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    Or they could leave you in the pit and you get a cut-scene of vultures or whatever descending upon you.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    Now you know why all my 'Real' DnD characters carry a 'collapsible grapnel, which the game hates because it's easier to get to those 'hard-to-reach' Scrying Stones.
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

From my own experience 'I'm stuck' only works when you're physically stuck in an object and it moves you a few feet to the side, that works fine, for instance the other day at the end of LoMM I was standing right where one of the end chests appeared and got stuck inside it, also worked for me fine when I was doing Hell Pit and we got stuck in the entrance door all the time, but when you're in a hole surrounded on all sides by terrain that's not going to work because there's nowhere to shift you to. A special teleport scroll which takes you to the nearest campfire would be a nice option.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.

armadeonx said:

From my own experience 'I'm stuck' only works when you're physically stuck in an object and it moves you a few feet to the side, that works fine, for instance the other day at the end of LoMM I was standing right where one of the end chests appeared and got stuck inside it, also worked for me fine when I was doing Hell Pit and we got stuck in the entrance door all the time, but when you're in a hole surrounded on all sides by terrain that's not going to work because there's nowhere to shift you to. A special teleport scroll which takes you to the nearest campfire would be a nice option.
    I think it's worked for me only once :lol: though I've tried it dozens of times.

• hexngone#5489 hexngone Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    Today, while walking a path in the snow of Dwarven Valley I suddenly found my character trapped *inside* the horse-drawn wagon surrounded by enemy dwarves. No rope would pull me out there, could not run away, fought off mobs until the meteor storm hit and beat me into a death-like state. Not fun at all.
    And not possible to just stand patiently and wait the 10 seconds either.
  • tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited November 2021

A special teleport scroll which takes you to the nearest campfire would be a nice option.

For me, that's my "killme" shortcut.
    /bind ctrl+k gensendmessage Stuck_Defeatme Activate
    (but a tp scroll to the closest campfire would be nice for console players)
    I'm just thinking of how you lose some buffs when you die and waste them, it would be nice to teleport somewhere and not have to reapply them again after death.

A special teleport scroll which takes you to the nearest campfire would be a nice option.

The "kill me" command does take you to the nearest campfire. With an injury to show for it.
    I know and that's why a scroll would be nice so you don't have any and you don't lose your buffs. You shouldn't be penalized in any way for getting stuck in a hole which shouldn't be there in the first place. They can put invisible planes over them so people don't fall in them.
    The hazards of being an adventurer. Aren't you glad you invested in those Clone spells?