test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Events seem to be ways to mine money from players.

jana#2651 jana Member Posts: 584 Arc User
Right now during the Halloween Liars event I have worked towards getting the broom mount, i want my item number up, tired of being a weak elf. I have everything I need but the Witches Sash. I have unlocked over 50 pinatas I bet, my dino babies (alphy compy) -which by the way are the cutest things I have seen on this site, love to open them, I throw the first few hits and they just go for it squeaking and laughing while I do something else.
but not a sign of the sash. Is the last chance vendor going to be Zen necessary or just massive amounts of ADs. since he supposedly will be selling them. I hope this is not going to be like the Harvesters Nightmare which turned out to be so well named. I put off a lot of things to be able to get the things in the store you can't normally purchase without Zen. And gee they closed early and without the store left behind for any time at all. And I think it is absolutely disgraceful they didn't reimburse people who worked for three weeks the items they wanted for the tokens they earned, that now sit in inventory with no way to spend them. But you did sell these items at the zen store right aftertwards, which is more than a little shall we say suspect to keep it polite. I lost a lot of respect for the game from that, and being dumped to 20 and no one in chat had the brains to say we did it to everyone, kept asking me to take a snapshot. Hope I find a witches sash before this is over or it is affordable. Either way you guys need to rethink your ethics, great game if it wasn't for that obvious hand out for money, like you did with the dragon born.

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    You can buy the materials and the broom after the event ends.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • tgwolftgwolf Member Posts: 501 Arc User
    Events are more accurately ways to distract people from the mountain of issues that go unfixed.

Even if it means introducing dozens of new issues to hide them.
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    Hi Jana and welcome to Neverwinter. I never got the sash dropping over a few years of doing it so I would buy it from the store at the end. I made the broom this year but that was because I got the sash after the event last year and kept it all year, after doing that and making my broom I suddenly got two more sashs from pinatas. Go figure. RNG on this item seems very strange with some people getting them easily and others never seeing one. One thing to remember is that the sash is considered a 'unique item' and as such you can't have more than one at a time in your inventory (personal bank slots count as the same inventory). But a way around this is to put it in a shared bank slot which clears it from your inventory list and tells the system you haven't got one and again it has a chance of dropping. If you only have one character at this time, make another one so you could take the sash out of shared bank slots and put it in their inventory which then clears space for two more sashs to potentially drop. Some people collect them over time so that they can make the broom on future characters more easily. It's probably a little late now in the event to worry about this tbh, but you'll know for next year.

Re item level, one of the fastest ways I've personally found to increase IL is to upgrade companions to mythic, most of your IL comes from companions, mounts, bolster, collars and insignia. Of course you should first try to get the best gear you can at the time (either buy from the Auction House -AH- or from seal vendors in the market - weathered wood gear is pretty good), if you've unlocked Undermountain by now you should head straight there and do your 3X ME's (Master Expeditions) each day as they have a chance of dropping good gear for you - and make sure you do it in a group who places at least one rune so you can take your etchings from the final chest to Zoky who lives under the stairs, he drops good gear too - and if you do the questline in Stardock they give you choice packs for decent IL companion gear also. After Undermountain the general consensus for the next place to head for better gear is Avernus, and from there to Sharandar. But def start with Undermountain if you haven't already, it should be your first port of call to get your gear IL up.

Try to have the highest enchantments you can afford slotted-in, 8 is minimum but 10 and higher is better, enchantments used to give the most IL but it's changed now and they aren't as important.

Guild boons also give IL and depend on the level of the guild and the boon structures as to how much they provide.

Something also to remember is that when you slot a companion or mount power in your loadout, those things also give IL and it depends on how high the IL of the companion or mount is as to how much IL the power which comes from it gives you. So with companions for instance, if you slot in a power which comes from a blue companion, it will generate a lower IL to your loadout than the same power slotted coming from a purple one and so on, even if you're not using that companion as an active summoned one. They all sit in the background giving you stats whether you're using them or not. My rule of thumb is if I have a companion drop and I don't have it already, I keep it, I never sell it, as I never know in the future if I'll need it and it's combination of stats and what slots those stats can be placed in. Some go in different slots from others and can be very handy. So keep everything unless you have it already. With mount insignia I would go for purple ones from the AH first and then upgrade from there and leave them as a lower priority than other things because collecting the resources to upgrade (mainly insignia powder) takes so long.

What I personally do is choose in advance what powers I want to use and find that companion or mount (usually on the AH but sometimes I have them already from drops) which gives you that power and then rank them up as high as possible before ranking-up any others, this is to make the IL from the powers you're using high as possible as soon as possible. All your companions you're using powers from should ultimately be ranked up to mythic, this is easier than it sounds, I found that anyway, they don't need anything other than companion upgrade tokens (or AD but usually tokens come out cheaper) to do that, no other currency, and you can buy companion upgrade tokens from the AH from other players. You get 100K refined AD per day so just grind content over and over to try and get your 100k raw AD per day, refine that each day and spend it on upgrade tokens from the AH. Once you get to 10 companions at mythic your bolster ceases to grow so you can stop focusing on them, and you only need to upgrade more to mythic if you find a new power you want to use or a new companion you want to summon as an active both cases in order to maintain your existing IL and not have it go down when you swap.

Last thing I will say is that sometimes PE zone chat is very helpful, sometimes it is a cesspool full of joker trolls, depends on the moment you find yourself in, best thing is to join a good guild and ask your guildmates questions.

Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • jana#2651 jana Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    tHANK you so much for all the really great information, I really appreciate it. My guild is five and has a name that is impossible to spell kind of Russian and German sounding. It was5 when I started last April and it is still five and I was contributing everything I could until recently. There is no way to build on it or for it. And I don't have the slightest clue how to talk to my guildmates or anyone. I would so like to say thanks everyone after a good quest where people seemed to work together. I have joined parties on the social thing for quests when asked. How do you get a bank slot shared or otherwise? Thank you so much for your help!
    pitshade said:
    Thank you I saw that, it really didn't have much helpful information but Rockster answered my questions with a wonderful attention to detail.

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    jana#2651 said:

tHANK you so much for all the really great information, I really appreciate it. My guild is five and has a name that is impossible to spell kind of Russian and German sounding. It was5 when I started last April and it is still five and I was contributing everything I could until recently. There is no way to build on it or for it. And I don't have the slightest clue how to talk to my guildmates or anyone. I would so like to say thanks everyone after a good quest where people seemed to work together. I have joined parties on the social thing for quests when asked. How do you get a bank slot shared or otherwise? Thank you so much for your help!

There are 3 kind of bank.
    1. Personal banks (for the character)
    2. shared (account) bank. shared with your other characters in the same account
    3. Guild bank. The bank shared by all members of the guild but the builder leader control the permission including not sharing with guild members. A character (usually a character created for the purpose of storage) can make his own "dummy" guild (need 4 other guildless players to help to create and they can leave afterward) for the purpose of using the guild bank for "personal" use.

Another type of 'free' (temp) storage is to mail yourself unbound or account bound items as attachment. There is a limit of how many of such mail you can do.

If you have VIP without paying posting fee, you can also use AH as temp storage for unbound items.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    Thank you those are good tips!
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    jana#2651 said:

"I don't have the slightest clue how to talk to my guildmates or anyone"

maybe its time for a new guild then ? or to learn how to talk to "anyone " by the appropriate keyboard / mouse commands / console commands etc

I mean you are complaining that every event is mining money from players ,.but in all fairness you have not actually done you due diligence either *shrugs"

maybe join a guild that can actually "help" you
  • irene#2829 irene Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    All companies try to make money. Towards the end, it is the player who is defeated by greed to have more cosmetic or items. They had the responsibility to take care of their own money and not the company. I don't see why people learn from one another online to blame companies trying to make money. They gathered out there, do work to bring food home, it is only fair.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    @irene#2829 If only they sold us cosmetic items, then I might have actually stuck around. Not one of the Cryptic teams ever listened to anyone's good advice. I told them over and over, again and again how to make money off me and my friends. But now we are gone. I am still playing over on Champions, but not likely to milk any money out of me there either. I still applaud all those who support the games they play and I really do hope you enjoy playing Neverwinter.

Have fun! :heart:
    wb-cenders.gif
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    edited November 2021

@irene#2829 If only they sold us cosmetic items, then I might have actually stuck around. Not one of the Cryptic teams ever listened to anyone's good advice. I told them over and over, again and again how to make money off me and my friends. But now we are gone. I am still playing over on Champions, but not likely to milk any money out of me there either. I still applaud all those who support the games they play and I really do hope you enjoy playing Neverwinter.

Have fun! :heart:

The problem likely is that cosmetics sales will not generate enough income to keep Cryptic afloat.

They need to sell items that are substantial for progress in game to generate enough income. Cosmetic sales might be fine for games like GW2 and New World that generates a lot of income from selling the basic game and expansions, but Neverwinter need more.

Neverwinter is balancing on the edge of pay-to-win - and they must be careful to not sell too powerful items. A pay-to-win situation *would* scare off the customers.

As it is, items like bags, collars, insignia, wards, VIP are sort of mandatory purchases, and seems to make enough income for them at the moment. Note that even if you purchase an item off AH, in many cases it originally was purchased from the Zen store.

It is however very possible to play without spending real money. I have 3 characters past 50k, and I never paid any money to Cryptic. Just need some patience and a lot of daily queue grind :)
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    Cosmetic sales wouldn't keep them afloat by themselves, but it would be an additional income stream that would be very handy for Cryptic's bottom line - especially if they put some proper effort in and made really desirable skins that most players would consider worth spending cash on.

Other games have proven that players will spend money on these things, so why isn't Cryptic putting more effort into this area?
    Post edited by armadeonx on
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
    Same with home furnishings/furniture etc if we had our own houses.
  • tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited November 2021

Same with home furnishings/furniture etc if we had our own houses.

I think it's quite sad they never pushed this idea at all. Especially as the tools for it already exist.
    Combining the workshop + the few things we can do as interior decoration in the guild hall, and here it is, you have basic housing...

Add different houses with different arrangements of 3 rooms (but same total living space), make it so each player can "visit" various doors in PE to see the various arrangements, and then allow the players to buy with AD/Zen the house they want (price 22.5M AD, or 30k Zen, for exemple). Then allow the players to pay this same amount of AD/Zen to buy one by one new rooms (let's say up to 4 more rooms, total 7 rooms in the house, total spent : 112,5M AD or 150k Zen).
    As the Workshop, the house of one player can be at the same PE door as another player.

Put some placeholders like in the guildhall for the various things you can add in a room.
    Then design furnitures, decorations, wallpapers, crafting tables (why not introduce cooking this way ?), storage chests, NPC servants (and various outfits for them, wardrobe ?), etc, and sell all of these goodies via the wonderous bazar, include some exclusives in craft (with AD cost like the reinforcements instead of gold) and sell the most beautiful/impressive as exclusives in the zen market.

Bonus : a player who owns a house can open (or close) his door according to what he sets up (open or not for guildmates, open or not for allymates, open or not for friendlist, open or not for players in the party/queue. Any chest in the house is always locked for everyone but the owner of the house). Or maybe can right clic someone->invite in my house.
    Let's visit each others house ^^.

That should probably drain some of the ressources from AD whales, and some cash from the $$whales.

They could also think about renting houses. Create NPC landlords who ask for 500k AD to start renting a furnished house, then 1M AD every 30 days. If you fail to pay, landlord kick you out, and you won't be able to rent any house until you have payed your debt. (Obviously, for that to work correctly, there must be something specially interesting in having a house, can't think about anything though ^^' but cooking craft)

(mutli-edits : because ideas kept coming in)
    Post edited by tchefi#6735 on
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I like all of that except for the expensive rent and dodgy landlord idea - I've seen enough of those in my lifetime!
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    armadeonx said:

I like all of that except for the expensive rent and dodgy landlord idea - I've seen enough of those in my lifetime!

lol, i agree ^^ maybe 1M/month is really too much :P, honestly, 1/3rd of the daily refined AD for a player who can refined 100k every day during 30 days, i didn't really thought this while writing (was just thinking about what would be able to sink my 130M AD i don't really know what to do with nor find anything worth to invest in with).

I have tons of other ideas about what can be included in the housing, but I guess it would be better on a dedicated thread rather than derailing this one :P
    Last time I suggested this someone said I was being stupid and if people wanted to play house they should go play the sims or something, but that same person plays dress-ups every day don't they. Who cares as long as people are happy. Other protests were about lack of server space. Besides being something which many people would enjoy and use, it would be something which would keep new players around. When you decorate/design/use your own space you become more invested in a game and it feels more permanent. I used to imagine the houses in Ebon Downs being used as doors for people to use, but they could create a brand new map and link it through a gate in PE and call it something-or-other residential area. Or Tower Slums. Or whatever. Not going to happen though.
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    Wendy is out having fun with her nephew at present. I believe she recommended using the Foundry, prior to the 2019 shutdown, to make housing and sell custom Foundry items in the zen store. I know Cryptic saved us a ton of money between 2013 to present. Wendy is playing with her doll houses on Black Desert and keeps buying more and more floors, walls, and furniture. I don't even want to look at her bank account. Players like my wife, get into the aspect of sim life, because they use to play with Barbies and doll houses as little children. Black Desert gives you up to 5 houses anywhere you want in the game for free. They charge you for the decor. Those decorations cost big chunk of real world money.

Up to two years ago, Cryptic could of, should've, would've... oops! That boat sailed. I am currently working with Amazon on a few projects, New World is pulling a lot of people away from other MMOs ( not just Neverwinter ) but I think they made a mistake with housing. In New World you buy up to 3 houses, they are not the same usage as those on Black Desert. In short, these are not doll houses by design. There are currently 4 tiers costing more per tier. It is my opinion the housing in Amazon's New World will not be attractive to the same kind of players.

Neverwinter still has time to bounce back, but not by photocopying what other MMOs are already doing. They need a new unique edge, they had that edge with their game editor. They need to come up with something completely different.
    I agree, and I think getting rid of the foundry was probably the worst mistake they made.
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

I agree, and I think getting rid of the foundry was probably the worst mistake they made.

Indeed, housing would bring in a MASSIVE amount of money into the game, if I were Cryptic I would sell Castles for like $500, there's people who would buy them for sure. And charge an annual fee of money. A small cave or cottage could be $50 and $50/year.

Really, player housing would be a real cash cow.