test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Companions scheduled for the guillotine

reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
I'm curious to know if there is a new list of pets on the chopping block? I know the plan was to be more transparent with this so I wanted to ask the question! Are there more companion adjustments coming?

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    If you like it and it performs well, they will send it out to pasture.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    Githyanki. It is the last wielder of the original spinning strike. The rest of that group of companions already got "fixed", devs just probably wait for players to waste some more resources into this companion first.
  • reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    I've become a firm believer of using what I have and not todays bis/tomorrows nerf. But I see too many friends, guild members, and people in general asking "what's bis what's bis" If we know the next list of adjustments it will save a lot of people frustration.

I know from the getgo, the plan was to have them all equal. To also have them on par with using an augment. This is why I'm not chasing a bis pet anymore. But I continue to see people watching the latest youtube vids on pets, then chasing them. If I have the bis pet, sure I'll use it. But I'll not buy and rank up today's bis.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I'd like to see what the devs consider to be reasonable ST/AoE damage for companions. I'm sure a lot more would fall below the minimum than go over the max.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User
    I agree with Reg:
    reg1981 said:

I've become a firm believer of using what I have and not todays bis/tomorrows nerf. But I see too many friends, guild members, and people in general asking "what's bis what's bis" If we know the next list of adjustments it will save a lot of people frustration.

I know from the getgo, the plan was to have them all equal. To also have them on par with using an augment. This is why I'm not chasing a bis pet anymore. But I continue to see people watching the latest youtube vids on pets, then chasing them. If I have the bis pet, sure I'll use it. But I'll not buy and rank up today's bis.

I believe this averaging all companions is an effort by the designers to create more diversity, an attempt to eliminate the tendency of just one type of pet overtaking the entire zone--ie. the Yeti, Chult's tiger, Abyssal Chick, Zuna, etc., but that may have nothing to do with the actual reason. It does remind me of the classic line from the incredibles: "And when Everyone's Super, no one will be"

Since they have a stated goal of making them all perform fairly similar, I have begun to install a bit of pragmatism with my choices of creating Mythic companions. I started with upgrading only those whose benefits will help my character. Then I looked at which ones work best as my working companion. And somewhere along the line I began to actually choose them based upon roleplaying decisions.

That said, I agree with the Gith being next, and I can't remember which attack the Dancing blade has, either the Zuna/Merc style or the spinning style, but that one might be in the same category.

Not that I want to curse anyone that has those companions, and to that end, I won't make any other predictions. ;)

• callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    reg1981 said:

Yup and Amen to this.

It is also how I play the game full stop. Stopped chasing BiS after River District years ago.

Also I think one of my companions still does the spinny around sword attack, but I could be wrong.
  • autylautyl Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    The companions that help you in your battle in neverwinter. I think you just have to see which one best suits your style and what you need. I watch every now and then youtube there are always up to date test videos of people. The last one I saw is from Aragon. He and his team tested several companions in VoS. If you are interested I put the link below. But again use what YOU need :) And not what is bis and cost millions :s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tMdvP36XcI
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    Now everyone go thank Aragon on his YouTube channel for making the developer's job a lot easier! :trollface:

Dervish still runs his old illusionist and Mad King runs the broom companion. It helps to think of companions as part of your costume and not real support. In STO, I have a whole away team to assist me. That means a party of 4 companions. In CO, I have no companions, there never was much of a companion system, you can buy temporary summons. Best not to think of companions as weapons, shields, or support, then you are less likely to be disappointed when they destroy your succubus per Aragon's video.

Just killing time...
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User

Now everyone go thank Aragon on his YouTube channel for making the developer's job a lot easier! :trollface:

Dervish still runs his old illusionist and Mad King runs the broom companion. It helps to think of companions as part of your costume and not real support. In STO, I have a whole away team to assist me. That means a party of 4 companions. In CO, I have no companions, there never was much of a companion system, you can buy temporary summons. Best not to think of companions as weapons, shields, or support, then you are less likely to be disappointed when they destroy your succubus per Aragon's video.

incubus/sucubus damage is higher because of debuff combat power not because of their powers magnitude
  • hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    reg1981 said:

I'm curious to know if there is a new list of pets on the chopping block? I know the plan was to be more transparent with this so I wanted to ask the question! Are there more companion adjustments coming?

does it matter? I mean companions influence as dps seems trivial now.

here is image from Reaper Challenge: Valindra tower.
    https://ibb.co/N3yhzFB
    Don't even need companion to clear it, yet still on tops as dps. Whole gameplay where just srpinting through dungeon as it would be speedrun contest.

So does it matter if companions get nerfed, if simply due dps loop effect you can clear 80% ~90% of game without even need to put enchantment.
    Even augment for stat gain is enough, for all nwo content to be celeared without problems.

Some would say, but yeah this is 50k+ IL character. Here is thing, simply get lightning Weapon enchantment, get latest demo set, get CA as high you can, crit chance enough to reach 50% and thats it.. Even with ~45k IL you clear 70% of game content without need dps companion or put other enchantments in your gear.
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================

In STO, I have a whole away team to assist me. That means a party of 4 companions.

I used to really like the companion system in GW1. You could have a full party of companions there too. They weren't as effective as real players (except in some situations with certain combinations) but the level of control over them was very useful & effective, but generally you relied on yourself for main dps and companions for support.

• regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User

Well, what's even more fun, you can give your companions decent upgraded gear and combat pets, that they will summon in a fight, so you can have a whole private army with you.

Anyway, i'd guess the Pseudodragon is the next one to be "fixed"...
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User

reg1981 said:

does it matter? I mean companions influence as dps seems trivial now.
    Did you even read this thread lol It matters because too many people are chasing today's BIS pet, wasting resources, and being upset when they are adjusted. There no question that the content can be cleared without, this is all about keeping people from wasting resources and raging afterwards. Asking for the "more upfront" Julia talked about with the Xuna adjustment post.
  • inspecter68inspecter68 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Except none of the developers are upfront about anything. Even Nitocris, our supposed community manager isn't upfront about anything. No one from the company gives out any information unless it's trivial. They just keep on scouring the game for things to quietly nerf into the ground. They also actively break things and introduce new glitches into the game. It is my oppinion, and I've said it for years, that the developers are trying to kill this game by driving players away. The mad rush to put out item to sell in mass is a mad rush to ring every dollar they can out of this game before they shut it down.
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

In STO, I have a whole away team to assist me. That means a party of 4 companions.

I used to really like the companion system in GW1. You could have a full party of companions there too. They weren't as effective as real players (except in some situations with certain combinations) but the level of control over them was very useful & effective, but generally you relied on yourself for main dps and companions for support.
    I still own my main account on Guild Wars, I started it somewhat out of order. Many years ago, I purchased the base game of Nightfall from Target store. I got the heroes to play with right away, they didn't exist until they made Nightfall. After enjoying the 3rd game first, I went back and bought the other 2 at that time. Later I purchased Eye of the North and other packages such as Mercenaries, all the bonus mission packs, and whatnot. I got to experience Gwen's abduction by the Charr, how Saul became founder of the White Mantel, the untold story of Palawa Joko, and Master Togo's negotiations with the Tengu. Later I repurchased the Trilogy because it only cost $30, it might still be only $30.

I played my alt account and it was good for extra storage too. I forgot my password on my alt account and never attempted recovery. That sure was an epic game and it is sad what they developed to replaced the game. I can still play Guild Wars, but they don't make new content, the only thing left is PvP in Factions. I sometimes get together with people for Fort Aspenwood or Jade Quarry. I guess I should check into recovering my alt account on that one.

Just killing time...
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User

Except none of the developers are upfront about anything. Even Nitocris, our supposed community manager isn't upfront about anything. No one from the company gives out any information unless it's trivial. They just keep on scouring the game for things to quietly nerf into the ground. .

That's true. I'm not sure I can believe that they are actively trying to destroy NW tho, after Magic it is still important enough in their portfolio imo. I just think that they are still (as a company) stuck a bunch of years ago and do not understand the need to progress - and why change if it somewhat works out for them. We don't really have much of a community that needs managing, because they don't do anything with the community anyway :D We are all just testers and complainers and thats pretty much it. They do not really use any media, and their twitch presence needs work. They are pretty out of touch, but still manage to pull money out of pockets somewhat easily, so that won't change anytime soon.
    - bye bye -

armadeonx said:

I still own my main account on Guild Wars, I started it somewhat out of order. Many years ago, I purchased the base game of Nightfall from Target store. I got the heroes to play with right away, they didn't exist until they made Nightfall. After enjoying the 3rd game first, I went back and bought the other 2 at that time. Later I purchased Eye of the North and other packages such as Mercenaries, all the bonus mission packs, and whatnot. I got to experience Gwen's abduction by the Charr, how Saul became founder of the White Mantel, the untold story of Palawa Joko, and Master Togo's negotiations with the Tengu. Later I repurchased the Trilogy because it only cost $30, it might still be only $30.

I played my alt account and it was good for extra storage too. I forgot my password on my alt account and never attempted recovery. That sure was an epic game and it is sad what they developed to replaced the game. I can still play Guild Wars, but they don't make new content, the only thing left is PvP in Factions. I sometimes get together with people for Fort Aspenwood or Jade Quarry. I guess I should check into recovering my alt account on that one.
    I played it solidly for about 6-7 years, even in the first mod you could 'hire' up to four npc mercenaries to accompany you on your solo missions before setting out from a town, before we started getting our own companions down the line in later mods.

I bought all the campaigns, all of the upgrades for storage etc and most of the fashion stuff. In fact I believe I had 4 accounts with all campaigns as I had accounts spread out among different guilds in our alliance (TIG Alliance, where all 10 guilds were created and run by the same team).

In GW2 I appreciated the artwork, the secret areas hidden behind jumping puzzles and the ability to swim and dive under water. I was unhappy with some other aspects, such as them dropping the companion system and the limited available skills per weapon set.