test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Could we remove the character animation from the Neverwintan Hawk proc?

rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
When you proc the Neverwintan Hawk it has the same character animation as the Doohickey, as if you're throwing something overarm. It would be nice to remove this for three reasons... 1. When you are in close combat with enemies, even though the animation triggers and operates quite fast, it still is slow enough that there is a delay where you are standing still long enough to get attacked and can get knocked down etc. It also interrupts normal at-wills etc. Would be better if it just did its thing without the animation. 2. The tooltip states: "This hawk was trained by Neverwinter's best to attack targets faster than you can command it to." Well it doesn't. You have to perform a physical action and even wait another half second after that before it hits the target and does the damage. It should be more or less instant as you hit the key. 3. It's flying over your head already, it makes absolutely no sense that you are then throwing it at an enemy like an object.
Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.

Comments

• tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User

It's flying over your head already, it makes absolutely no sense that you are then throwing it at an enemy like an object.

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    I have a hard time getting it to fly if I'm spamming At-Wills.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    Since I wrote that post I've played some more and found that if you try to move your character before the hawk has done it's full thing, it cancels it out and you have to do it all over again. Would be nice if this was also addressed. Just hit the key and done and dusted and keep fighting.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    Or they could just have it do its thing automatically whenever you are in combat stance.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    edited October 2021
    That would be nice, but unlikely. I'm fine with activating it manually, but not knowing if I've cancelled it out or not is becoming annoying. Half the time it is cancelled because I jump around so much while fighting. I activate it, hear the sound, have to move away from mobs and then think to look down to check, and the icon is still there unused. I then have to proc it again. I think it's because there is a slight delay while it's doing an animation before the damage happens (this is in addition to the delay while you are doing your own animation) and if you move before it does its actual damage, it cancels completely. There are other things you do which are not cancelled by moving immediately after activating, swarm is one, Hammer of Fate daily is another one I can think of off the top of my head where if you move after activating it while you're still doing the animation -which is quite a long one- it still completes its damage (just cancels the rest of your animation but doesn't affect the rest of it) so it really should be possible just to hit it and move-on so to speak.
  • yamioni#9870 yamioni Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    When I use mine, I stop moving for 200-300ms, then skate away while the animation plays.

As a warlock whose encounter powers root me for an unreasonable amount of time, I find no reason to complain, personally.
    Yes, you can move immediately after triggering it and you have done your animation, but if you don't wait until the damage happens it cancels-out and if you look down at the icon it is there ready to still use and hasn't procced. This means waiting a second or two while it's doing it's thing to make sure it does its damage and if you're bouncing around fighting it's not a reasonable thing to have happen because it opens you up to taking damage you should have been able to get out of the way of in a melee situation. Do you know what it's like to fight in the middle of a mob or do you just routinely stand 60ft away in relative safety and fire from there...
    edited October 2021
    And anyway, it doesn't need an overarm throw animation because you're not throwing a hawk and even the animation is a nuisance and interrupts your other powers. If you want an example of a seamless proc (as this hawk should be), look to Swarm mount power, you just hit the key and the bats fly out and you don't even skip a beat in your fighting, it's instant. This could be as well.
  • yamioni#9870 yamioni Member Posts: 55 Arc User

Yes, you can move immediately after triggering it and you have done your animation, but if you don't wait until the damage happens it cancels-out and if you look down at the icon it is there ready to still use and hasn't procced.

I've noticed that it doesn't "work" sometimes as well. I use quotes, because when it doesn't go on cooldown, I can see the hawk attack, and deal damage, it's just about half of the damage as normal.

Regardless, it isn't functioning as expected, accurate animation or not.