test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why i can't seem to continue with NW Online.

diggotdiggot Member Posts: 40 Arc User

About 1 month ago i returned to a completely different Neverwinter, my L80 cleric was L20 and
some of the content was gone, most of the items dropped in basic 5man was pointless
and there was a whole new system of "gearing up" .

I have no spent this passed month grinding Avernus and Fallen to try and gear up, and ....
my gearscore has gone from 22k to 23k ... Avernus being maxed out and fallen is close.
And with Avernus maxed out , i have access to the Citadel dungeon, problem is, that dungeon
requires a gearscore which i an no way near to reach, and judging by the pace of which i have
been increasing my gearscore, i'm most likely not going to reach it before next year.

So... grinding for a month to max out campaigns, finishing all my adventures,
and my gearscore hasn't much improved , this makes be lose my will to login and play.
I currently find myself login in less and less because there simply seems no point,
i am not improving my character any by logging in and trying to get anything done.

All the dungeons i can run now, offers no upgrades that are noticable for my performance .

Comments

• mithmyrrmithmyrr Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    Join a guild. Not just any guild, sit in PE and look one advertising for new and returning players. They are more likely to help you find what you need to improve your character.

Once you reach a certain point in item level, increasing it does slow down. The 4 common things to look for would be improving your companions and mounts, and getting better insignias and enchantments. Have no idea what you have, so can't direct you more specifically than that.
  • demonikhandemonikhan Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    If you only went up 1k item level over 1 month of grinding Avernus and Vallenhas... you are obviously doing something very very wrong...

#1: Have you been grinding Insurgencies in Vallenhas for Chaotic Writings to purchase Juma Bags?
    #2: Have you been farming Maps in Avernus to open chests for Legion Guard weapon set and armor?
    #3: Are you upgrading your mounts and companions? You need 10 Mythic mounts and companions.
    #4: Are you upgrading your Mount Insiginias?
    #5: Are you looking in the Auction House under "Rings" and "Epic" and buying the super cheap good rings there?
    #6: Have you joined a level 20 guild and enabled the boons?
    #7: Have you used your Seals of Adventurer to buy gear?

You are obviously very much out of touch with the game. Join a guild, talk to your guildmates and re-learn the game.

• diggotdiggot Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    I'm not one for grinding several mounts, i have the mount i like and i see no logical need to get more mounts.
    If the game tries to force me to own mounts i will never use, it's deffo not for me.
    I've grinded Ins and there's no reason for me to buy Jumabags because they don't have any
    gear for my cleric. I have used Maps to get the gear from the treasures and i bought 2 items
    using the Fallen marks in the town. I'm also using 2 rings 1100GS , not spending 200k Q for a +5 ring.

Also.. mythical.. everything needs tobe mythical... that's stupid imo.
  • flyball#6248 flyball Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    Your total item level comes from more than just the gear you wear. It comes as mentioned from companions (10) and companion powers,

Likewise your mounts and mount powers contribute a lot to your item level.... You have a mount power which does not have to be the power from the appearance you are using for travel and of course another mount ability. Each of these can come from a different mount,

Having your mounts and upgrading the ones that have the powers you need to bolster your abilities,

Being in a guild will give you access to boons which also can boost your item level. High level guilds like the level 20 guilds can boost your itl by 3k.

Your insignia are also a good way to boost your itl by refining. Likewise refining your weapons and artifacts. Have the right artifact set and refining it to max level also will give you a boost.

Some of your mounts should also have mount collars which again you select to boost specific skills for your chosen class. Take care as collars can be pricy and you can only wear 1 of a given type.

You can also get some good stuff going back into the adventure section and collecting all the rewards.

Lastly higher level enchantments and runestones. Again makes sure you are getting the right ones for your class.

Doing all of this may take sometime or expensive costs in terms of both zen or AD.
    diggot said:

I'm not one for grinding several mounts, i have the mount i like and i see no logical need to get more mounts.
    If the game tries to force me to own mounts i will never use, it's deffo not for me.
    I've grinded Ins and there's no reason for me to buy Jumabags because they don't have any
    gear for my cleric. I have used Maps to get the gear from the treasures and i bought 2 items
    using the Fallen marks in the town. I'm also using 2 rings 1100GS , not spending 200k Q for a +5 ring.

Also.. mythical.. everything needs tobe mythical... that's stupid imo.

Okay, then this game isn't for you. Nor most MMOs that I've seen. Heck, most RPGs. People tried to help you, and you plug your ears and say "nope!"

As far as I can tell, your entire post is pointless. You are leaving. Okay, leave. Tell your friends that play the game, then. Don't come on here and whine.
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    They changed it so that most of your IL now comes from companions, mounts and collars and insignia etc and not from enchants and gear like it used to. You now have to rank up mounts and companions and so-on to get your IL up high enough. There are a couple of ways to increase IL which I can think of from the top of my head, if you haven't already, go to Yawning portal and do the 3X daily ME's every day, they drop decent stats gear and also Zok boxes come from them as well (plus you get 15k a day rough AD from him), you need to make sure that there is at least one rune placed at the start to get the drop at the end chest to take to Zok who lives under the stairs, you will give him three of them and get three boxes a day. Also do the quests at Stardock because you get choice packs for decent IL companion gear from those.

The companion and mount system has been totally reworked now and they all sit in the background and add to your stats so you need to just keep collecting them no matter whether you want to use them in battle or not, or whether you like the look of them or not, you just want to have as many as possible and upgrade those ones which you want to, but they all help and you need to start collecting them. If you get one drop somewhere and don't think you like it but you haven't got it yet, keep it anyway. The only time you really should sell a mount or companion is if you have it already. The mount system is all mix and match, on the mount page you choose the skin you want and the combat abilities and speed and so on you choose from drop down lists can come from any mount you own so your mounts are all split-up into their various factors and you select things as you need them. You can ride around on any mount you like, but it's really just a visual skin and nothing else. Companions seem to me to be the fastest way to rank-up your IL, work out which abilities you want to actively use and find a companion which has those and rank those companions up first because you also get IL from your slotted companion powers and if you are using powers from a lower ranked companion it will give you an overall lower IL. I found the best way to rank-up companions to mythic is to just earn my 100k each day and buy companion upgrade tokens from the AH, it doesn't take all that long. You don't need any reagents or anything to upgrade them, only the tokens or AD. If you can't get into the random queues because your IL is too low and you can't get the 30-something bonus each day, just grind normal dungeons over and over until you reach your daily 100k refine ceiling. You basically want every companion which you use a bonus from to be mythic as the IL is 750 for each one, 500 for legendary, I forget the lower numbers but you get the idea.

Mount collars are the bottleneck in the game, it is so hard to upgrade them because the reagents you need are so hard to get enough of, I would leave those for last and just buy epic purple ones from the AH to start with and go from there as-and-when you're able to. Insignia powder is used to upgrade both insignias and collars and you get that from converting lower-level insignias to powder, so every time you get a blue or green insignia drop, generally you would use it to turn into powder which you can save to finally upgrade your higher things. You can sell unbound insignia on the AH if you're in dire need of AD, I usually refine all green ones (never bound) and bound blue ones and sell unbound blue ones being I need the AD for companion upgrades more than I need the powder right now and most of the blue insignia I get dropping are bound anyway.

You also get decent IL from guild boons so join a high level guild if you can.

Basically they've re-worked the entire game and you're not the only person who is feeling this way or has felt this way, it's new and complicated and frustrating at first after how things were before and needs time to adjust to.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
    Also the seal vendor in the Coster market has an outgoing healing stat piece which is good for clerics, I use it myself. But you need to do random queues to get those seals on the reg.
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    seem ESO beat NWO in spades, scale back to level 20 really confuses many players coming back and testing out new class, Bards. NWO still dont have player own house yet, character skills and boons are dismal and ESO has 'champion points' once they reach 50 level, skill tree (celestial stars) they used was almost just like Asheron's Call 2 version of tree skill base on levels they earned.
    when i got back, i was surprised they took out bond enchantments, plus took away original ensigna's fusing format, now converted to grind them into powder and then level up just like we fed gems to refine point system, created very extreme grindy.
    what we earn in 1 day to refine or upgrades doesnt scratch, it feel like it takes 3 to 5 months to make a notch, then next new campgian come up, "Oh it is up, and we dump grinding for insigna and collar because they have new "shinies" to gather".
    then what we grinding, it also become absolute. yeah, i know that, it made me burnout 3 years ago when i left NWO.
    Housing format?
    NWO big =F
    ESO +A for having multiple homes for account/characters.

Guilds format
    NWO, eh? allainces is great, good raids, limited ques for boss, required specific Item level to be qualified

ESO, no allainces as yet, each player account can join up to 5 guilds, one for crafter, 1 for fellowship, other for raids, no level requirements anyone that is 10 level can join as any 50 level players go to the raids, rewards are scaled to each players, they have many bosses, "world boss", raid bosses, better your gear, you can solo some of bosses.

as others said, it might not be the game we seek or want to play, it not same game, they now follow 5th edition rules, 20 level is hard cap. there is other game we can enjoy pure level grinding or skill tree to grow.

now as i said, all games have both side of coin, smooth flow of play/grindy quests, hard caps/skill tree if they exist. some games are player friendly, other games are pure PvP.
    it depends what players' preferences and niched game market available and choices.

NWO is social format, need help? just ask, or join a guild, then you have better have fun expeirences, there are guilds that are happy to help you to grow.

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    The game doesn't force you to do anything. The game is not responsible for your impatience. You do not have to have things done "NOW".
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I've been playing the game since it came out on XBox (about 5 or 6 years?) and I've never paid real money for anything.

The reality of the game is this - People that pay money do so because either:

* they don't have a lot of time but want to play endgame stuff
    * they are impatient but want to play endgame stuff
    * they don't like grinding but want to play endgame stuff

Yes, the game is designed around making people feel like they need to pay but if you have the attitude of "I'm just here to have fun" you can get there without it.

The recent changes have introduced a gap between 32-40k TIL which is harder to get past than it used to be, essentially adding a couple of months extra work to pass through. Companions & mounts giving the most TIL was a deliberate move to make players feel the need to spend but if you have the time to play, FtP players can reduce that time by following the advice provided by other commenters above.

A bigger drawback for PC players is the huge Zen exchange backlog that is looking like it'll reach the 12 month waiting time soon (if it hasn't already?). On XBox it's currently about 6 weeks so I can still get VIP by planning ahead. I always have about 3 1k Zen purchases pending on the exchange but if that gap lengthens significantly and the devs don't introduce a way of buying it directly with AD - that'll have a negative impact on me for sure.

Ok, the changes to traps (removing injuries) was a boost to the non-VIP players but I use the signpost & bank all the time.

The Zen exchange is there for a reason and having a backlog that is too long effectively kills that reasoning, removing one of the key principles behind the game's original ethos. If Cryptic are hoping for the game to continue for years into the future, I would suggest this is a key area they need to address.

I will say that since they changed the RTQ I haven't run it. The probability of just having my time wasted is too high now. I don't have a lot of game time during the week these days and Sunday is the only day I can play all day. I've been 'living' off of earnings from the Adventures on my 9 toons but that'll run out in another week or so, after that I'll just have to see how I do things - maybe I'll have to give up on VIP.

Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • sagakaiyume#0847 sagakaiyume Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    I spent maybe 50$ on the game to pay for vip when I first started back in mod 15. Once I knew of the zax I easily paid for vip there. I've given away 125m in game in last 8 months, 10m within last 4 days. You easily can get money in the game if you care to. 2x enchants coming up, -anyone- can make an easy 2-3m off it, if you have tons of time even make 10m+ off it. That's taking 3 days (thurs, sat/sun) to get your full leg insigs and have plenty sitting leftover.
    armadeonx said:

I will say that since they changed the RTQ I haven't run it. The probability of just having my time wasted is too high now. I don't have a lot of game time during the week these days and Sunday is the only day I can play all day.

RTQ is a total s-show now on PC. Yesterday I got almost 10 Demos in a row, one after the other, all of them had people leaving, seems no-one wants to do it. I think it was also 3 times I accepted the queue and found myself in a totally empty instance. I have been lucky in I got Tiamat 3 times, but the Demo one after the other and empty instances and people abandoning it so frequently is a sad joke and a total waste of my time. They need to take it out and put the old one in RTQ as it used to be, no-one had a problem with playing that. I said it in another thread, put the new one as a stand-alone for endgamers and use the previous version in random queues to help train them for when they get to the harder one. We don't really have a choice if we want to earn respectable AD currency by playing daily, we need to do the randoms, so it's pretty unfair that we are tortured like this.
    The main problem with RTQ right now is people fail, someone quits, then they request reinforcements but more people are quitting. This is actually the same problem that was happening with CotDG, so reverting back won't solve anything.
    The fail rate of Demo now is too high and everyone knows it so they leave without even trying, the old one did not have that problem.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Pay to win what, exactly?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Well you know... this Halloween, the Liar's Mask-Q-Raid... you have to run about getting the paid by the pumpkins in PE and give the currency to an illusionist. The illusionist gives you another currency called tokens and you save them up to buy the parts you need to build a broomstick. This takes time about a solid 6 to 8 hours I seem to recall, I only did the broom the first year it came out.

Then you get irate and impatient spending money on zen and buy the stuff you need to build the broom. Pay-to-Win! In your face! :trollface:

Just killing time...
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User

greywynd said:

Well you know... this Halloween, the Liar's Mask-Q-Raid... you have to run about getting the paid by the pumpkins in PE and give the currency to an illusionist. The illusionist gives you another currency called tokens and you save them up to buy the parts you need to build a broomstick. This takes time about a solid 6 to 8 hours I seem to recall, I only did the broom the first year it came out.

Then you get irate and impatient spending money on zen and buy the stuff you need to build the broom. Pay-to-Win! In your face! :trollface:
    Do you mean pay to win the broom?
    Or, pay to Cryptic to win your money?
    :)
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    @blargskull yup your rant just reminded me of something I need to get posted... thanks! :heart:
    wb-cenders.gif
  • kallikendrakallikendra Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    I totally understand where the OP is coming from. I've played this game for years (I remember failing miserably trying to run the Throne of Idris dungeon - always ran out of stamina trying to dodge the purples!!), firstly on PC and then on PS4. I'd had a break of several months to concentrate on Uni before finally having another go just yesterday on the PC. To say I am hugely disappointed is the understatement of the year.

What have they done to my favourite game?? I'd racked up 2516 hours of play on PC alone, I've no idea how many I played on PS4 and I come back to ... well... I don't know. I mean, where's Blacklake? Tower District? Helm's Hold etc.... I loved levelling up in these areas. They were FUN. The two original maps they left, Neverdeath and The Chasm, are the two I really didn't like which makes it worse for me. I cared a lot less about end game as it always seemed I got so far with that only to stop because my IL wasn't high enough. But I loved starting new characters!

I don't mind the level cap so much - a level is just a number after all. But to remove all this content, in my opinion, is not only unforgivable, it also smacks of yet another game trying to rush players into endgame grinding which, while I understand many players can't wait to get to endgame and rush as fast as they can to get there, is really not good for those who want to learn and take their time with the story.

Neverwinter had deteriorated - some of the story no longer made sense since they removed certain dungeons - but it was still Neverwinter. I'm not sure what it is now. Anyway, I have completely uninstalled the game on both platforms. I can't, and won't, play it like this.

I salute those of you who are enjoying the changes and are sticking with them - good for you and hope you have a great time. For me, I will silently mourn the loss of a once great game but remember the good old days! Good luck all! =)
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    Peeked back in to see if complaints like OPs were still a problem in my alma mater game from 2013.
    Yep. Still NW.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • chaderickrax#3780 chaderickrax Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    One thing that I think bears emphasizing:

If you play an entire campaign, like Descent into Avernus, it is ridiculous that the requirement for the dungeon that ends its story is easily 10,000 item level above where that campaign leaves you. If you play through the leveling campaigns, and work your way up to Ravenloft, you are in NO WAY powerful enough to contribute to Castle Ravenloft. You can barely fight Tiamat after finishing Tyranny of Dragons, and that's the "starter trial."

The only way to have any sort of coherent story experience is by paying zen up front. Otherwise, you grind for years, slowly accumulating things, or--as many have said--you "join a guild" and "get stuff given to you there."

In my opinion, that's pretty hamster broken.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    ... or you could just have a look at what is available in the Auction House, and start improving your character with for example 10 legendary account wide mounts, keep an eye on events/promotions and collect whatever you can get from them, and also unlock the free parts from the Echoes of Prophecy campaign for some very nice rewards.

I have a few "F2P" alt. accounts from the time i created my personal bank guild, and those characters are slowly progressing towards 40k IL with what i could get for free, plus a few bucks spend on the Dragonborn Pack when they had it in some promotion at Groupees. And that IL is without any guild boons added in.

Neverwinter Siege got the token system from Harvester of Nightmares and Hell Pit attached to it, and i made sure that i got my alt. accounts enough times through the daily quests for the Achievement Token, which wasn't that hard by jumping from one map instance to another for the 5 daily heroic encounters. And every two days i collected the 50k rAD box, those plus the rAD from heroic encounters gave me enough AD for buying another legendary account wide mount, thanks to the Knox Box flooding the AH with those kind of mounts.

And yes, Knox Box is still a problem for me, since i couldn't get the full amount of them from the Wondrous Bazaar the first and second week, but i hope that will change next week...

Anyway, you don't have to grind for hours for improving your character(s), you only have to pay some attention to what is going on in game, and then make the best of it.
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!