test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Companion app

alastol92alastol92 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited November 2022 in General Discussion (PC)
Devs, have you ever think to a companion app for smartphone? at my opinion it will be great. this app will allow player to see the invetory of their character, see the action house, and also buy stuff and read the mail ingame... it will be a good idea, don't you think?

Let me know if it will be done pls :)
Post edited by kreatyve on

Comments

• johnnystranger#5900 johnnystranger Member Posts: 461 Arc User
    Wishful thinking .
    How does this make them money ?
    Game needs a lot of in game tinkering.
    This would just open up another exploitable path imho
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    Sounds a little like Gateway. It was a way for players to access the game but not have to log in, it was very popular. Unfortunately they got rid of it because it was being abused by bots.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,217 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    alastol92 said:

Devs, have you ever think to a companion app for smartphone? at my opinion it will be great. this app will allow player to see the invetory of their character, see the action house, and also buy stuff and read the mail ingame... it will be a good idea, don't you think?

It is a many years old idea. There was gateway. There was 3rd party actually made an mobile app to do what you said to interface with gateway. Cryptic did not want it for various reasons. One of them was bot. Another is the cost/expertise to support it especially it was kept being exploited every other week (before they finally decided to can it).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • nic1985nic1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    It would be great if we can manage just characters outside of the game (inventory, builds, appearance, etc.). Regarding the AH and other managements, this could easily lead to manipulation and automation/bots, not sure that will be good for the game/players.
  • hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    alastol92 said:

Any external app accesing to players database is vunrabiluty to security.

Also using app to use Auction house?

Not so long neverwinter had website, Gateway. Which was rather fun mini game, with also way to access players inventory and even Auction house.
    You know how it ended up? Massive bot use. After due massive exploitations it was shut down.

I don't think it's wise to repeat same mistake again.

========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
This discussion has been closed.