test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Deity Options!

percemerpercemer Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 1,048 Arc User

A long-standing request to expand the pantheon in Neverwinter has now been answered with the addition of 13 new deities.

Who are you loyal to?

Percemer
EU Community Manager @ Gearbox Publishing
----------
Neverwinter: Discord - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube - Customer Support - Terms of Service

Comments

• autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,133 Arc User
    This is welcome news. Thank you!
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • polysatyr81polysatyr81 Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    Thanks. When will the long standing request for Masterwork 6 and 7 be addressed or at the very least acknowledged. We have node maps for Sharandar and nothing to do with them.
  • mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    Great with more options. It's stated that we will be able to change diety, will the initial change be free to those characters created before these were made available?

Will the choice of diety actually mean anything in game now? Some sort of short period bonus for something associated with that diety after an invocation?
  • stryker80#0653 stryker80 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    I'm curious about the statement, "With the advent of "Crisis of Faith"...".

Was that a hint at, or slip up about something upcoming?

Howabout adding useful things to the game instead?

Useful is relative. What is useful to you may not be to someone else. Those of use who like the actual RPG elements of the game this adds a lot of flavour for use to enjoy. That's why we play the game. To enjoy it.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    arazith07 said:

Still no Lolth or at least Eilistraee for Dark Elves. :(

I think this is probably because Wizards won't let us be Evil.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
    kreatyve said:

arazith07 said:

Still no Lolth or at least Eilistraee for Dark Elves. :(

• kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    So is this pure cosmetic Role play eye candy flavoring or does picking a deity actually do anything ? add any powers stats abilities, boons or any other thing of benefit at all to character development and customization ..
    (as per players requests in focused feedback ) ...
  • mrpeggle#7907 mrpeggle Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

Lolth is not evil, just chaotic!
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User

Lolth is not evil, just chaotic!

Chaotic EVIL

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Lolth

Heroes are not evil, nor do they worship evil.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • dracomanciendracomancien Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 13 Arc User

Great with more options. It's stated that we will be able to change diety, will the initial change be free to those characters created before these were made available?

No, it costs 60000 astral diamonds for every character.

Will the choice of diety actually mean anything in game now? Some sort of short period bonus for something associated with that diety after an invocation?

The only thing you get with the deity is a specific title for your character.

Interesting note, when you change deity, you get the new title, but the old one is still available. So you can have all the deity titles if you want...
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    so basically the new deities are a cleverly disguised astral diamond sink wrapped in a gotta collect them all name titles game got it :D
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    kalina311 said:

so basically the new deities are a cleverly disguised astral diamond sink wrapped in a gotta collect them all name titles game got it :D

Yeah, that's it in a nutshell. I am happy though. My main has secretly worshiped Mielikki this whole time.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    I agree on two things here, it is nice to have more deities and it would also be nice to have the option to worship evil deities. This line in the blog says it all; "After some reviews and with WOTC's direction, the best silhouettes were chosen and they will be what players see in this new update.".

We can no long blame Cryptic Studios for the massive changes with module 20 whatever and whacked out ideas. Cryptic Studios is no longer at the wheel. :trollface:

Just killing time...
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    > @kreatyve said:
    > I think this is probably because Wizards won't let us be Evil.

Eilistraee is Chaotic Good though.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    edited September 2021

I agree on two things here, it is nice to have more deities and it would also be nice to have the option to worship evil deities. This line in the blog says it all; "After some reviews and with WOTC's direction, the best silhouettes were chosen and they will be what players see in this new update.".

We can no long blame Cryptic Studios for the massive changes with module 20 whatever and whacked out ideas. Cryptic Studios is no longer at the wheel. :trollface:

WotC is really only involved with story and flavor, I highly doubt that they are the reason for mechanical changes.
    pitshade said:

> @kreatyve said:
    > I think this is probably because Wizards won't let us be Evil.

Eilistraee is Chaotic Good though.

The explanation I got on Twitter was that they only could add so many due to UI limitations so they stuck to more widely worshipped deities to cover more bases. Eilistraee really is kinda niche, though imo would have worked well with most female bards.
  • geoffreysgeoffreys Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    percemer said:

A long-standing request to expand the pantheon in Neverwinter has now been answered with the addition of 13 new deities.

Who are you loyal to?

I'm grateful for these changes. But as others have noted, racial options for both dark elves and gith are not included.
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    Eilistraee should be added in, and here is why she is a bard like deity. She is the good aligned goddess of the Drow and she is popular. The fact that people bring her up here, proves that. They can replace Amaunator, as he is so meh, given he is just a primodial version of Lathander and is the politics god. Can just cut him and just add in Eilistraee.
  • mushellkamushellka Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 357 Arc User
    Great! And quite useless :)
    Better to feed the troll than listen to the idiot .
  • blackmagidblackmagid Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 111 Arc User
    mushellka said:

Not altogether useless, I have switched to a different deity now as the one I had previously (chosen for no apparent reason by me) was colourless and therefore it was a pain to see if all invokes had been done. But now - way clearer :) Unicorns for the win!
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User

Unicorns for the win!

Is a unicorn without a horn a eunuchorn?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • blackmagidblackmagid Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 111 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Unicorns for the win!

Is a unicorn without a horn a eunuchorn?
    It's probably just a horse, but we digress ;)
    edited October 2021
    mushellka said:

I can understand that opinion for folks who don't care that much about the overall D&D flavor of the game. But for some of us, character background and general fluff are a part of the core D&D experience.

I'm glad they added deity options, but more backgrounds and deity options for the non-majority races would have been cool too. It would make the idea of selling the added races in the store, feel more like a true D&D addition to the game.

After all, they offer Gith in the store. They might as well as offer all of the supporting character histories such as Githzerai / Githyanki deity choices and character backgrounds. The Gith don't generally have conventional religions, but Zerthimon and Vlaakith serve as surrogates for the purpose of character background story. The effort just feels half-done.

Same for the Drow as well. They offer some relevant background choices, but no appropriate deity choices.
    Post edited by geoffreys on
    I'll add that it would be cool if there were thematic / racial transmutes in-game as well.

Both the githzerai and githyanki NPCs have interesting armor and clothing variations. It would be awesome to be able to somehow obtain those.