test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sick of lags

Yall need to upgrade your systems so we the folks can enjoy the game without the lags etc. Every since I started to play.. yall been fixing this shard issue back to back almost every week.. start fixing this lag or let some other company take over
Tagged:

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Reboot your PC and your router and see if that helps. Then do a trace route to Cryptic's patch server and see if you're hanging up somewhere in the wild world wide web.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    Try looking over this article. https://neverwinter.fandom.com/wiki/Lag,_Network,_and_Server_Issues

There isn't much you can do beyond the scope of your own equipment, assuming the issue is localized. If the issue is between you and Cryptic, then they have no control of the route your ISP takes to reach them. If the issue is at the Cryptic servers, I would expect more response from other players having the same issue. I was just online had no lag at all, but that doesn't mean anything, it only means I am not experiencing much latency.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    edited August 2021

Yall need to upgrade your systems so we the folks can enjoy the game without the lags etc. Every since I started to play.. yall been fixing this shard issue back to back almost every week.. start fixing this lag or let some other company take over

While I know this is not the answer you want, it is nonetheless true:
    If there was a problem with Cryptic's servers or the network near Cryptic, everyone would lag.

I do not lag, nor do I hear general complaints of lag from the community.

So the source of your lag 99% certainly is your network to Neverwinter or your local system.
    The most common culprit is the network.
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    or the GPU.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

or the GPU.

Quoted for truth.

Also hard drive issues [sometimes] or Windows problems.

My NW was lagging/stopping/glitching/freezing every few seconds for a second or two.

I suspect a failed Windows updater issue...

But I used the CHKDSK command to run a scan disk BE CAREFUL IT CAN TAKE A WHILE AND MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOURE DOING

And that fixed it all after a 3 hour reboot and system/hard drive scan.
    edited August 2021
    I totally got a good reality laugh about this phrase by @callumf#9018 Also hard drive issues [sometimes] or Windows problems.
    I know I sound like I am the Anti-Windows, but I left them in the dust back in 2010. Windows XP was the last version I used prior to jumping into Linux Kubuntu 10.10 in 2010. I really enjoyed XP and it was a great version, maybe the last best OS Microsoft ever made. Lag happens on all OS, the reason I recommend my clients use Linux is primary business and internet purposes. Linux has little support for 3D gaming until the recent years. My current systems still use OpenGL, I need to start thinking about a rig with the new Vulkan graphics package.

I would not state that Windows 10 is the direct cause for lags. There are too many factors at work to state yes or no. I was just informed by Sparky, my German counterpart, told me Windows 11 says his PC might be inadequate to support Windows 11, while he was installing it from a brand new PC he just purchased. I don't know if the issue is region related, but when MS Windows 11 is telling you that your new machine is garbage, time to replace that OS.

I do own Windows 10, I just use it for testing purposes. Both OS have lagged at various times.
    @hotfrostworm I read somewhere that windows 11 advises a 64bit operating system, does he have that?
  • co2#1085 co2 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    There ARE new lag-problems for many which are also confirmed by Cryptics: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1262347/lag-issues-status-aug-16-2021

There is also a patchnote about a try to fix that - not successful for many: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11494843
    "Performance and Stability / General
    We’ve identified and addressed an issue that likely contributed to higher server latency."

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,184 Arc User
    I personally do not have any lag or any lag that is bad enough to bother me. I don't live in US neither.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    edited August 2021

@hotfrostworm I read somewhere that windows 11 advises a 64bit operating system, does he have that?

In this day and age, I wouldn't think it impossible to buy a brand new Windows 10 machine with 32 bit processor installed. Maybe you misunderstood, he just bought a brand new machine, and is updating it to Windows 11? I seriously doubt he ran down to Hanz's Discount PC Store and purchased a refurbished 15 year old machine. To the best of my knowledge Intel stopped making the 32 bit chips about 20 years ago. Intel made too many and some people will be happy to overcharge you for the overstock. I am going to ask Sparky anyway, because he keeps telling me Germany built the Death Star first.

I could see this as some regional screw up at best, which means Windows 11 has some kind of glitch with country identification on his computer.
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    @hotfrostworm 32 bit CPU for $85 are they nuts?! But I think I found the guy who buys them all. :trollface:

Just killing time...
    edited August 2021

@hotfrostworm 32 bit CPU for $85 are they nuts?! But I think I found the guy who buys them all. :trollface:

I would actually guess those are getting a position as collectables now. I would not be surprised if someone is setting up a collection of working outdated gear, it could be worth a lot of money in the future.

IBM PC was introduced in 1981, but before that we had various 8-bit mostly Z80-based systems.
    The first IBM PC was running the 8-bit bus/16-bit registers 8088, and nobody could imagine why we would need an addressable space of 640k memory.

My first computer from 1983 had an 8-bit Z80@4 MHz, with a 5MB(!!) harddisk and a 360kB 5 1/4 inch floppy. Yay!

But it was actually better than it sounds, there was very little graphics back then, so for text only purposes it worked well.
    Back in 1990-ish the company I worked for had a 96kbit/s line into the Internet. Again mostly text only - or ASN.1 compressed data ;)

Today 70% of the Internet capacity is used by video and images.
  • barcelona1968#8613 barcelona1968 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    The lag in pe is awful. It’s mostly ok in other places. Much much worse since update.

The lag in pe is awful. It’s mostly ok in other places. Much much worse since update.

When the instance is filled with players, it slows it down. It is more because of the Harvester event (as people has to go to PE to participate) than update.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • ravenfoot#8527 ravenfoot Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Console lag has been really bad since the update. Mix in the color issues and the crashes either from server or complete home screen is getting annoying no issues on other games tho. I'm on xbox one s
  • Sorry to post here , am new player and I do not know how to start a new post , would be nice if anyone can tell me . Thank you .
    edited August 2021

Sorry to post here , am new player and I do not know how to start a new post , would be nice if anyone can tell me . Thank you .

On the subforum index page(where all the discussion threads are listed) there is a button named 'New Discussion'.
    It is on the left side just above the list of threads.
  • Thank you so much mentinmindmaker . Am going to make a new post named Mouse , if posible please read it and help me . I really need help here .
  • onlymatonlymat Member Posts: 350 Arc User
    Some things:

First I think cryptic should have the game on azure servers. It works very good with xbox and it works also very good with pc too.
    It would be nice if Neverwinter would also use IPv6. WOW does. Sure I know WOW is a much bigger game - but still - all games from cryptic should use IPv6.

What you can do:

Talk to your ISP about this game and your lag. Maybe its a routing Issue and the ISP can set better routes?
    See if you can enable IPv6 in your router and if your connection supports it - if not ask your ISP.
    Even if this game don't use it atm others do and background connections on your pc could use it.

I would actually guess those are getting a position as collectables now. I would not be surprised if someone is setting up a collection of working outdated gear, it could be worth a lot of money in the future.

IBM PC was introduced in 1981, but before that we had various 8-bit mostly Z80-based systems.
    The first IBM PC was running the 8-bit bus/16-bit registers 8088, and nobody could imagine why we would need an addressable space of 640k memory.

My first computer from 1983 had an 8-bit Z80@4 MHz, with a 5MB(!!) harddisk and a 360kB 5 1/4 inch floppy. Yay!

But it was actually better than it sounds, there was very little graphics back then, so for text only purposes it worked well.
    Back in 1990-ish the company I worked for had a 96kbit/s line into the Internet. Again mostly text only - or ASN.1 compressed data ;)

Today 70% of the Internet capacity is used by video and images.
    Nostalgia:
    My first home PC was the tiny Z80 Timex micro PC that hooked up to a black and white TV, used a typical portable tape cassette to record and playback programs. Mine had the original 2K of RAM and I purchase the 16K expansion, but that thing was a little toaster when plugged into the back. Eventually went into the whole Commodore line from Vic 20 to Amiga. I had a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A but I felt that was a step backwards and more like an Atari console. I went through about as many PCs as Jimi Hendrix burned through guitars.

I never got into the 8" or 5.25" floppies, I got to collecting the 3.5" back in the early 90's. If you watch the movie War Games, the actor Matthew Broderick sticks an 8" floppy in his PC and places the phone headset in an old analog cup modem. Back in 1994, I was working at Dow Chemical, I questioned the LAN admin about ordering PCs with both 5.25" and 3.5" floppy drives. He told me it was to make them "backwards compatible" LOL. I never saw any 5.25" disks anywhere in the entire plant. I recall thinking, why didn't he also get the monochrome monitors too?

Back on Latency:
    I would like to recommend anyone experiencing lag can check their network with several monitors, Windows 10 Task Manager can be summoned by right clicking the task bar. If you are sure your GPU or RAM is not under powered, the best way to check network latency in the game, would be to head for a low populated instance or zone. Fewer players means fewer packets to toss. If you still experience latency (lag), you can try using a lower resolution. This can be done with the Option to run in windowed mode and not full screen. Another fun tool built into the chat engine, /renderscale [percent]. You would type; /renderscale 0.8 for 80% the original resolution. Be aware, scaling resolution less than 10% is humorous it is also unplayable, scales above 200% is not advisable the game might freeze.
  • franciscoperolafranciscoperola Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    Yes, it's true that lately lag problems have increased a lot. With me it only happens in random queues, when the graphic load increases a lot. It also seems to me to be a server issue, as Cryptic has already recognized it and tried to fix it, apparently without success.
  • mistameenamistameena Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    I've been in NW for almost 3 yrs.. every event has issues with rubber banding when your on a stacked shard. Of late though maps like Avernus, Vallenhas, even PE have been suffering the same poor performance as the shard reaches critical mass.. but the same solution applies whether it be inside an event shard or normal maps, just switch to a lower pop instance.
    However, something I have definitely noticed this past month is the FPS drag when opening things like bank tabs etc. It is like the whole game goes on slow motion until you close the offending box on the screen. And what is all this "you have been logged out due to inactivity for more 15minutes".. lol so running a dungeon or the event means your inactive...hmmm.
  • burlyfish#6097 burlyfish Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Game started lagging after mod 4 and has never gotten better. Back then there was claims that bu adding playstation to the severs took away from PC then there was others saying they had to change the way info was piped through servers. The people that claim it is not a game issue and is the player is full of it, Not a day if not hour goes by that i do not see lag or see someone else lagging. Back
    edited September 2021

Game started lagging after mod 4 and has never gotten better. Back then there was claims that bu adding playstation to the severs took away from PC then there was others saying they had to change the way info was piped through servers. The people that claim it is not a game issue and is the player is full of it, Not a day if not hour goes by that i do not see lag or see someone else lagging. Back

I don't live in US. I have played everyday for years. I have not seen lag for a long time. I also play the highest resolution possible. May be once per month with the scale of lag that does not affect my game play.
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited September 2021

You almost sound like my cousin, he is 40 and told me the way to go forward in computers is backwards! He actually believes we are all better off with using older equipment with the older OS. Why? Because he determines todays hackers will be focused on new gear and not the gear of 10 to 20 years ago. He went to prison for a couple of years when the FBI caught him hacking, I guess he would know, but I don't see how I could keep on top of popular gaming using that old gear. I told him to put two 32 bit systems together and make me a 64 bit Windows XP model. :lol:

Just killing time...
    I had a Toshiba Satellite 8mb ram, ran win '95 and made probably the same year, used it from 1996 onwards. I gave it to someone who was into computers and liked to tinker with them around 2003 and these days I kick myself for not keeping it, it's probably a museum piece by now. There was nothing wrong with it. I could have still used it to use as a word processor or something.
    Yes. I live in a small city (population 35 K to 38 K) and I find functional PCs and monitors in the roadside garbage. Why? Most will be old or have some minor defect. Wendy told me to stop bringing home all the strays I find. :smile:
    I do have a small stack of mini towers and desktops in one corner of the room. Most are being tossed with 32 bit processors that could be swapped for 64 bit processors. Some of the RAM is outdated and old too, DDR2 and some DDR3. I am putting Linux OS on them, I gave one to Wendy's sister and she loves it. You don't need a powerful PC just to surf the internet.