test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will they bring monk class?

they are trying to make neverwinter look more like their tabetop game with every major patch so it wont be wrong to assume another upcoming class being the monk...also they seem to be running out of ideas so they are remaking old campaigns.... now sharandar next is tyranny of dragons...what do you think?

Comments

• kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    It took them 6 years to produce the bard. I would not hold my breath for the next class.
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    Would love to play monk class - it was my favorite from Neverwinter Nights - but not happening in 2021.

Given that they are rolling this out on all platforms simultaneously, the devs must have pretty high confidence about playability without even running this through extensive preview testing (as they did for M20 and M21). Which means no real 'unknowns', like a new class, map, etc.

My guess - they have repurposed/rebranded the Tyranny of Dragon zones from vaulted maps. Known quantities that can be easily turned around to make 'premium' content, with very little extra effort and a high degree of confidence in minimal bugs.
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    by the time cryptic comes out with the monk we will already be on D&D 6th edition.....
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    ...or all dead.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    Go take some videos of Dread Ring for old time's sake because it's probably next on the chopping block.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    I would like to see the monk class (weaponless brawler) it would be a nice change of pace. @rockster#6227 some of us believe they will do the same thing with Dread Ring (module #2) as they did with Sharandar (module #1). However my hope is they wreck ... replace ... uh, repair Icewind Dale's Caer Konig with something better. No one PvP's there, the whole area has Sgt. Knox barking orders out of the sky like God, and all the Heroic Encounters are a mess. The only reason for going there is just to grind it out, they already removed any point to collecting black ice or getting gear. How can they make it any worse than it already is.... oh wait, it is Cryptic. :trollface:

Just killing time...
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    I don't think they are trying to make Neverwinter look more like tabletop. They certainly haven't succeeded if so. The level 20 change os probably more because they couldn't do 80 levels with the new quest based progression and while that is superficially like one option for leveling in tabletop, that system is never as On The Rails as the new NW leveling. This game started out based somewhat on 4th Edition and still adheres to many of those elements, with the At Wills, Encounters and Dailies. Where it has changed since Beta has taken it no closer to any version of Tabletop and probably farther.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    I would have to agree, if they were going to make this game more like tabletop D&D, they would never have removed this from the game. It would have been a permanent feature and not something that popped up as a joke.

The closest you will get to P&P D&D on a PC is Roll 20 and they allow you to use this for free. I never adhered any of my personal sessions to any of WoC editions, I started back in the 80's with the BECMI box sets. When they sold Gary's company out from under him, I didn't care to support WoC over TSR, but I also know they were not the ones responsible for the sale. I also never had the need to learn the overt rules of 4th edition, as no one I knew played it. I was able to keep players at my table up through the late 90's. We still get a game on in my kitchen, once in a great while, but no one minds my flexible rules based off the old 1980's BECMI set or 2nd edition. I am glad to see people can still enjoy D&D in their homes, but what happened to TSR wasn't very fair.

There has been many attempts to automate D&D with machines over the years. The very first was MUDs (multi-user dungeons) ran on college networks because few people had internet back then. Later in the mid 1990's, I was asked to help set up a Warcraft server, not WoW, just Warcraft. People were getting internet back then just to play the first game online. At the time, I remember thinking, this is close but no cigar.

About 10 years later, my wife and some D&D friends, were all a buzz about Guild Wars, while very detailed, was not based on D&D lore, and it was still restricted by the rules of a server database. Until we can create the AI needed to think on its feet, a few people sitting at a kitchen tables around the globe, still have more computational storage. We also have better imaginations.
  • tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    @hotfrostworm
    P&P D&D closest thing i played on computer (and kind of one reason why i play NWO nowdays, sort of nostalgia) was 2002 Neverwinter Nights in a multiplayer persistant module/server (limited to 128 connected players) named Amaris.
    I ended up helping as one of the 4 DM. The way this game handled "DMing", both ingame or via the aurora toolset, felt from a player/DM eyes more like a true role playing game that whatever I tried online since nearly 2 decades (but role20/rolisteam).