test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New video wasn't needed.

baucoinbaucoin Member Posts: 127 Arc User
edited August 2021 in Player Feedback (PC)
In my option the new video that you've added to the game really wasn't needed. The original video with the heroes defending the walls of Neverwinter is a thousand times better.
Post edited by baucoin on

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Yeah, but the people that did the original are long gone. New guys gotta make a mark by tearing down the old stuff to keep the game relevant...
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    ...to themselves.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    baucoin said:

In my option the new video that you've add to the game really wasn't needed. The original video with the heroes defending the walls of Neverwinter is a thousand times better.

It's not like they got rid of the old video, you still get it when you make a new character. This video was more to replace the Ravenloft video.
  • modlesiemodlesie Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    They spend money for s**t like this :) you better invest on class balaance or whatever...
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    Well that sure looked pretty. That must have been real hard moving the virtual camera through the frozen 3D models. The music was pretty too. I don't know how appropriate a dirge was or who thought, a dirge would be awesome whilst we pan the camera. It is better than them going contemporary with dubstep or polka or a polka dubstep. I was wondering about the video itself, I know it plays directly from my HDD, so is that jitter an artistic approach to filming or is the video buffering? Maybe you filmed this at 4K resolution? I only support 1080p.

Just killing time...
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

There seems to be an unhealthy focus on unnecessary cosmetic improvements like new loading screens (which by the way the new Neverwinter title looks flat as a pancake like it should be printed on a plastic slurpee cup, does anyone not know how to put a shadow on a font to give it depth? It's looks cheap), re-working Protector's Enclave and moving assets around, redesigning formatting on the character sheet and so forth and now an expensive and time-consuming to make video. There is someone there who apparently thinks superficial changes like this make the game better, more modern and will make the players happy. It's like moving the furniture around in a burning house while you should be putting out the fire.

Fix the overwhelming mountain of effing bugs and oversights. Get your priorities right. Give players what they want and stop wasting what limited money and time you have doing things no-one wants or asked for. This game is fast becoming a joke.

I wouldn't trust tasking art devs with bug fixing, could just be me though. Bug fixing and making a trailer, loading screens, 3d modelling etc are in no way similar and are in completely different job descriptions. This would be like telling an artist to fix the electrical wiring/circuit in their drawing tablet.
    edited August 2021
    I know what you're saying, but point is it's resources the company is spending on something which is not a priority when things which are are a priority are not given enough resources. It sends a terrible message because the things which are actually being delivered are purely cosmetic and things we can do without, while what really needs delivering to make the game itself function properly doesn't happen and players continue to suffer and get ignored. There are bugs from many moons ago still there (which look like they'll never be fixed tbh) and new ones coming-in all the time ruining people's current gameplay and most need fixing as a matter of extreme urgency. Where are the priorities? Seems they are trying to fix what is wrong as well as they can because fixes slowly dribble-in in slow motion, but it's taking too long and they should have them fixed much faster. Could be wrong, but I also imagine 3D artists and designers are freelance and paid on a temporary single-job basis and it's entirely at the discretion of the company as to how often they hire them (or maybe they hire an external company to do the work), while the devs who fix the coding issues work on permanent salary but apparently they haven't got the manpower to do the work they need to, so money spent on creating the things I mentioned above would be better spent on either hiring more programmers to get the work done or fire a few cheap ones screw!ng-up and hire one expensive one who can deliver. Just. My. Opinion.
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    IMHO the video is awesome, I dad to watch it more times because is very very cool

Your argument about priorities is just an opinion. Its clear that the priority is to atract new players and this is something that can help if you are watching games to play.

As others said, this has nothing to do with removing hours of developers in bug fixing or new content, and even can be done with other company. Is just an investment.

Again, the video is very cool. Good work.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    baucoin said:

In my option the new video that you've add to the game really wasn't needed. The original video with the heroes defending the walls of Neverwinter is a thousand times better.

Needed, not needed, thats not important at all.
    You can skip it if you don't like.
    But for moment appreciate artist who took time and made this video.
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • anoreksjaanoreksja Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    New static intro video looks like PowerPoint slides...
    In my opinion, old cinematic was really much better!
    Why are all the "additions" lately so weak?
    rikitaki said:

Yeah - and it was necessary to keep the art department busy at least this way, as their only in-game involvement lately was to glue some floppy wings on an already existing horse.

Pretty sure they're responsible for a lot of the clothing malfunctions of late, as well.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.

IMHO the video is awesome, I dad to watch it more times because is very very cool

Your argument about priorities is just an opinion. Its clear that the priority is to atract new players and this is something that can help if you are watching games to play.

As others said, this has nothing to do with removing hours of developers in bug fixing or new content, and even can be done with other company. Is just an investment.

Yea, I said at the end of my comment it was just my opinion. Quite plainly. Did you miss that part? But my point still stands, this company has been losing money for a long time now and what little they have left to spend on running the game would be better spent on fixing the game itself in a timely manner, and that benefits both old AND new players.
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    There was a lot of people making fun of the game like this "haha the last halfway good trailer was done for the last good module" and whatnot, I think it was high time for some advertisement in a bit more professional fashion than the trailers for Vallenhas or what that was.
    Disclaimer: IMO
    - bye bye -
    For those of you who dislike the video, all I am asking you to do; mute the game and watch the video with this background music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppy4gGhPHgs

Enough said?

Just killing time...
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User

Yea, I said at the end of my comment it was just my opinion. Quite plainly. Did you miss that part? But my point still stands, this company has been losing money for a long time now and what little they have left to spend on running the game would be better spent on fixing the game itself in a timely manner, and that benefits both old AND new players.
    But your point is a void one because you dont know how much they spent in the video, or if they have some free time in the art team for example, you dont know how much resources cost the bugfixes and you dont even know if is something comparable in terms of cost.

So yes, we all can give opinions but we cant argue much more because we dont have any aditional information. So we better just enjoy the video
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    saw some cool paused image that made some ideas for medium size figurines *-*
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    modlesie said:

They spend money for s**t like this :) you better invest on class balaance or whatever...

Funny, the animators were ordered to spend time making a completely unnecessary intro video.

.... But they weren't ordered to fix actual animation issues like Wizard powers canceling themselves on cast, speeding up powers with excessive cast times like Steal time or Griffon's Wrath hit 3, or changing the animation on powers with weirdly melded animations like Brash Strike.

edited August 2021
    All this "front end" work on the new game, makes me wonder even more about my little theory. Camouflage the game Neverwinter by rebranding it Jewel of the North, removing any semblance to what you saw starting up the old game. Then when the new old players arrive they see a whole new game and never make the connection this is the one they played 4 to 5 years ago and quit. Just tossing a the premise out there.

Overall a pretty video, and the music is ok, could have been worse (see Barvarin Dubstep) or it could have been a lot better. Something a bit more upbeat, examples follow;

https://youtu.be/hXV5MfePBRs

The dirge is normally used for impending doom, but we see no epic boss battle in the video. For this video you need a slow victory anthem. As the video displays battles won and not lost.

Just killing time...

But your point is a void one because you dont know how much they spent in the video, or if they have some free time in the art team for example, you dont know how much resources cost the bugfixes and you dont even know if is something comparable in terms of cost.

So yes, we all can give opinions but we cant argue much more because we dont have any aditional information. So we better just enjoy the video

If they're at work the time is not free.
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    lol, it amazes me that players dont think before talking about this video.

If this video didnt exist, there were no short promo video on socials about module 21, if there was no video players would complain about it even more, if you liked the video, you definitly need to check our house prophet Nova youtube video (take it with a grain of salt) forseeing some good stufff.
    Post edited by arcanjo86 on
  • mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    All I need to know is how do I block it from playing at all. I do not want to have to cancel it from playing each time I log in to play.

It is an annoyance, an unnecessary one at that. When the art department could have been focusing on making sure that all the items they created worked on all the species in the game. That none of the items had terrible clipping, material of missing textures issues. That all the classes had item sets as rewards or available to buy in the different campaign collections in the game. That those items they have made available don't break the game in some way or form. That their edits of preexisting maps doesn't cause texture issues where holes appears or other textures appears in a vector in an other type of textured area.
  • hexngone#5489 hexngone Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    My first impression on seeing the video was : This is all after-market product marketing. It has nothing to do with the MMO, the story, the lore, it is just pushing the products produced by the game figure company that the Driftwood Tavern talks have been giving away for months. The characters even have on the Wondrous Bazaar 'Swave Swashbuckler's' equipment that goes for 500K AD so everyone will want to 'look just like the guy in the intro video'. Technically light-years easier to pan a still-life than to create a full animation video. It looks cheap, shiny, and blatantly commercial imho. And as a result, the new player has absolutely no idea who Volindra or the other base heros are heading into the game (or more importantly why we are fighting her.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User

And as a result, the new player has absolutely no idea who Volindra or the other base heros are heading into the game (or more importantly why we are fighting her.

They said when the new character starts, it will show the original video. I did not check that myself.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited September 2021

And as a result, the new player has absolutely no idea who Volindra or the other base heros are heading into the game (or more importantly why we are fighting her.

They said when the new character starts, it will show the original video. I did not check that myself.
    When we had the Barovia "intro", it was just like that as well.
    You start a new toon and it shows the normal game intro vid - the new vid is to promote new content which is completely normal (and that it was not done properly between Barovia and now seemed like they (publisher?) had no real interest into promoting the game) and I am a bit baffled that this is viewed so negatively here. When I saw it I was like "HAMSTER finally" rather than "Why?" tbh.

The quality is another matter, but NW seems to be in a certain "place" with how much revenue it generates and this is what they can make for NW - not Barovia-vid but better than Vallenhas-vid.

If you want to start playing eso, you might as well stumble over a trailer for the latest DLC rather than for the initial vid, right? Thats how it is. You promote a reason to start the game now - not why people started it 20+ mods ago.
    - bye bye -
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    baucoin said:

In my option the new video that you've added to the game really wasn't needed. The original video with the heroes defending the walls of Neverwinter is a thousand times better.

Just a guess - but given how much had been invested in staff/salary for the now defunct MtG game, chances are they had some extra hands lying around for a bit collecting paychecks, so maybe they put some of those MtG (and soon to be laid off) artistic folks on the job to make the video.
  • chaderickrax#3780 chaderickrax Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    All I can say is, my daughter has been singing that song non-stop since the day the video arrived.

You can't just make the game.

You also have to market the game.

And as a marketing tool, this video nails it. It does everything it was supposed to do - capture the spirit of the game, give some insight into what's in the game, and make you want to play the game...now.

Oh, and there's a bard.

But mainly, that DRACOLICH.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    The module removed the dracolich from the actual game, though.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother