test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

has anyone else got the black screen of death yet?

ian490ian490 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
every time i tried to launch neverwinter it just shows me a black screen no load bar or cryptic word above the load bar the screen is just black.

Answers

• ian490ian490 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    Is your directX version up to date and compatible?
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    I have to ctrl+alt+delete it....go to task manager and close game client. It usually works after doing that (on a rare occasion it will do it again), but yeah, it happens somewhat frequently for me and it is annoying.
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    rubytrue said:

I have to ctrl+alt+delete it....go to task manager and close game client. It usually works after doing that (on a rare occasion it will do it again), but yeah, it happens somewhat frequently for me and it is annoying.

This started happening for me after the Preview release of M21. I don't recall it happening prior to that. No idea if there is a causal link, but anecdotally it's what I can report.

Every time it's happened - I have to close the Game Client window in Task Manager on PC and restart the game through the Arc Client.
  • karvarekarvare Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    Same on going problem for me as well. I do the same actions as rubytrue.
  • redmage#9046 redmage Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Ditto for me too. The first time I start the game each day it's just the black screen and needs closed from task manager, after that runs fine.
  • aapoxaapox Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 9 Arc User
    same problem!
  • explorator01explorator01 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    STO's had the same problem since May 25th, although in Neverwinter I can at least see a flickering character select screen, glitchy textures and about one frame per second. reboots, force verify, safe mode, redownloading and reinstalling, driver updates, and on-demand patching being on or off haven't changed anything.

apparently a Windows 10 update from last winter(?) had something to do with it. this is so fun, I love playing video games!
  • scarlettsteelscarlettsteel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    Hello,

if you use the Arc Client to start Neverwinter, the application hang is most likely caused by the Arc Overlay.
    As a workaround try the following:

- in Neverwinter Laucher go to "Options"
    - scroll down to "Command Line"
    - enter "-ArcOverlayEnable 0" (without quotation marks)
    - click "Save"
    - click "Exit" and "Play" to start Neverwinter

This should fix the issue.

Scarlett Steel
    Post edited by scarlettsteel on
  • onethree13#1845 onethree13 Member Posts: 34 Arc User

This started happening for me after the Preview release of M21. I don't recall it happening prior to that. No idea if there is a causal link, but anecdotally it's what I can report.

Every time it's happened - I have to close the Game Client window in Task Manager on PC and restart the game through the Arc Client.

The same thing after mod 21 was loaded. Before the patch everything was fine, but now it appears periodically.

Hello,

if you use the Arc Client to start Neverwinter, the application hang is most likely caused by the Arc Overlay.
    As a workaround try the following:

- in Neverwinter Laucher go to "Options"
    - scroll down to "Command Line"
    - enter "-ArcOverlayEnable 0" (without quotation marks)
    - click "Save"
    - click "Exit" and "Play" to start Neverwinter

This should fix the issue.

Scarlett Steel

It doesn't work for me.
  • amascus#1899 amascus Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    Mine seemed to have been fixed for awhile but came back in the past couple of weeks or so. I just end task on NW and restart and it is runs fine the next startup...annoying to need to do but works. I had a theory that there might be a weak server in the round robin authentication during pass through from the ARC login to the Game server login but dunno anymore since it seemed fixed for a time.
  • gothkid1972gothkid1972 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    Happens to me on both Neverwinter and Star Trek Online...but not Champions...
  • pakatapoespakatapoes Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    Task Manager , than end task of neverwinter . Launch again , works for me.
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    running the game in full screen mode vs full screen windowed bordered mode may help /may be the issue

alt + enter may toggle a program between full screen and windows or check game setting to see what it currently set to and try the opposite setting... it would also be interesting to note if the game never fails to launch if you run it in safe mode
    on a related note i also noticed the mouse curser sometimes goes out of grid sync with the screen due to a resolution mismatch between the mouse is reporting where it is and the screen area highlighting items you are not pointing at .. where again i have to hit alt enter to toggle full screen vs windowed mode and then the mouse aiming/selecting issues is resolved corrected again
  • jizzu#6891 jizzu Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    first instance yesterday logged out and back no joy, tried going in via arc rather than shortcut seemed to sort it
  • cracklepants#2252 cracklepants Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    Performance has been poor for me since M21 dropped. Lots of banding, tons of lag, super choppy performance, long load screens, and full game crashes. It is performing like it did pre-21 when I would crank up my graphics settings, but all my settings are on the lowest. I think it has to do with graphics code, as friends with older graphics cards are also having the issue.
  • altmerpoweraltmerpower Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 101 Arc User
    Same problem! Only way for me to login is by Geforce Experiance link. I need to tipe password every time to login.
    Something went wrong with your launcher Cryptic and you should do something to fix it!
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User

Task Manager , than end task of neverwinter . Launch again , works for me.

This is the way.
  • altmerpoweraltmerpower Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 101 Arc User
    Still not working!!!! Have been playng this game sence 2016 and never had such problems with login. BLACK SCREEN with loading icon is what I have when i try to start the game. Nothing happens. Game auto starts and does not even give me a chanse to enter launcher settings....
  • jr9008#1208 jr9008 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    run it with windows xp service pack 3 compatibility.

worked for me no issues