test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wizard Power Adjustments

noworries#8859 noworries Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 651 Cryptic Developer
Wizard could use some adjustments, as you all know. This time we're going to try something a little bit different.

Format for this thread:

Make a post saying the one power on wizard you think is most in need of an update and why. You can also feel free to make a suggestion on how to change it.

Or you can make a post giving a +1 to someone else's suggestion.

Only your first post will be counted and if multiple powers are listed, only the first one in the list will be counted. Some posts may end up getting deleted to keep the thread clean and on track.

This doesn't guarantee that all of the powers called out will be changed or that the changes will be the suggestions given, but this will be used to determine what powers to focus on.

Please keep the thread on topic. No suggesting changes to other classes besides Wizard.

Comments

• rysiek86rysiek86 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    But honestly i have 2 really tough options to decide... And as you said @noworries#8859 they will be put in order, but i strongly insist to take both in consideration.

Lightning Bolt could be simply managed to be both single and aoe skill ... only if there was an approach to the skill similar as a divided magnitude, Same as with healing spells... more targets in area of effect less damage they take ... I mean the damage is spread if more targets are hit

Imprisonment...ooooh thats a hard one... this skill does nothing... the 25% buff to other skills on mastery seems sweet... but it isnt... 50% would be a thing... but i think most of people wouldnt take it in consideration. The best example of good change was Tempest... it could be a good AOE skill like Call Lightning but with this skill shot encounter another change should occure... Malestrom of Chaos... jeeeeez i dont remember the name of this Daily... if that daily become an encounter... and if the Mealstrom would becom some serious Daily... a Chain Lightning theme... that creates a radious AoE (Opressive Force size or somethin like that) that hits everything inside with Lightning damage...

There is sooooo many ideas.... but u say to choose one :(
  • ravenmaddravenmadd Member Posts: 11 Arc User

Can you be careful before you proceed with any "balancing" moves? CWs have extremely high damage potential, even close to top damage potential in ToMM/ZC. There are just few players that have mastered/figured out how to accomplish this which makes the class appear to not have the same damage potential as other classes...which isn't true. Making broad stroke adjustments to improve CW damage output in trials will most likely make this class extremely overpowered...just like MOD17. While this isn't a bad thing for CWs, it really isn't good for the other classes that will have to wait in line for all the CWs to log off for the day....like MOD17. Now, let the rage comments begin.

the only CW's that are doing anywhere near HR or TR damage in ToMM are using items that are no longer in the game i.e. the AP horns and even when they do they can not do the damage a HR can do
  • dillygirldillygirl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    arazith07 said:

I understand this may cause unbalance in PVP, to which I suggest either more sources of control resist available to players, or for the duration against players to be drastically reduced.

Duration is already drastically reduced in PVP: we have mechanic, Control Mastery, that does this: it increases control duration against non-player enemies.

PVP Wizard Info & Adjustment Suggestions:
    Adjustment Suggestion For The Encounter Power Arcane Tempest:
    Wizard's power arcane tempest must be nerfed in PVP, the cooldown for it is way too short and the duration of its prone lasts 3 seconds.

Maybe this can be done by adding Knockdown to the things that Control Mastery increases? If it was 1,2 seconds in PVP, would that be allright? With the influence of Control Mastery this would remain at 3 seconds for PVE.
    Post edited by dillygirl on
  • hastur905hastur905 Member Posts: 173 Arc User

Can you be careful before you proceed with any "balancing" moves? CWs have extremely high damage potential, even close to top damage potential in ToMM/ZC. There are just few players that have mastered/figured out how to accomplish this which makes the class appear to not have the same damage potential as other classes...which isn't true. Making broad stroke adjustments to improve CW damage output in trials will most likely make this class extremely overpowered...just like MOD17. While this isn't a bad thing for CWs, it really isn't good for the other classes that will have to wait in line for all the CWs to log off for the day....like MOD17. Now, let the rage comments begin.

I don't know exactly what game you've been playing until now, but since MOD 16 the only "overpowered" classes have been Arbiters and Hunters.
    Also, the damage CW can actually output is far from being at the top of the scoreboards in a good trial group, regardless if it's TOMM or Zariel.
    I probably know at the moment just 2 or 3 CW which can keep up with some TRs in good groups, and I run with lots of people, so it's not a partial picture of the situation.
    That is not even true, Wizards were actually top dps in ToMM until around Mod 19, then the Arbiters started to shine and Hunters were mod 20. The real point to be made here is, measuring a classes viability on the basis of two pieces of content in which, as many have mentioned, burst damage shines over DoT. AP generation was why the the Wizards outperformed in mod 17 and 18 because they were able to slot more than 1 of the horns, and they benefited more than any other class because their daily let them burst damage. So maybe the answer is simple, if CC is not going to be a thing going forward in the game, then DoT powers have to have something like the Hunter, whereas if enemy is CC immune, the hit is converted from a DoT to a onetime hit of a certain magnitude. This change may require further investigation after implemented to see if the base magnitudes are properly balanced after.
  • dillygirldillygirl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited August 2021

Lightning Bolt -- Needs some work. Here:

According to D&D 5e (yes, I know the Neverwinter is not exactly 5e, but...) Both Fireball and Lightning Bolt have similar ranges and identical damage amounts. Our version, as show rather lacks on damage and range.

Suggestion: The damage magnitude should be matched. Fireball has an 80' range and 5' radius. Lightning Bolt 'could' have an 80' range and maybe arc 5 times. Or, more like 5e: 80' range and 5' wide. (better choice prolly)

Spell Mastery and cooldown for Lightning Bolt could match Fireball.

Additionally, Lightning Bolt needs to have its bug with pebbles and other uneven ground fixed.

I also don't think it has a 30' length. I think it has a 5' length. It might be more bugged than I thought...

Keep in Mind that Fireball has a 15' radius, so a 30' diameter, and can be cast at a distance of 80'. For your suggestion to make them equal, it would make more sense for Lightning Bolt to indeed have a length of 30'. Maybe it is already supposed to, and it just doesn't because it's bugged. I don't know. The tooltip for Shield is not at all what the power is currently doing anymore, either, they would have to look into their internal design documents to see what Lightning Bolt and Shield are even supposed to do and fix them so they actually do that.
    Post edited by dillygirl on
  • trgluestickztrgluestickz Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    dillygirl said:

I.2 seconds is a much more normal duration for a control effect in PVP, so should be fine. I'm leaning towards the cooldown for arcane tempest being the bigger issue, but maybe reducing repel's distance in PVP or nerfing control bonus in PVP combined with dropping the prone on arcane tempest to 1.2 secs in PVP would do the trick without needing to mess with the cooldown.

Then perhaps edit your first comment, or write a new one stating that this is your preferred power change: to have Knockdown included in the Control Mastery Mechanic, so that Arcane tempest is included in this PVP balancing mechanic; and to have Repels push distance be altered by the same mechanic somehow.

Remember, Repels distance is still affected by the number of stacks of Arcane Mastery a wizard has. I don't know if it's difficult to keep up those stacks in PVP content. (It is easy in PVE boss fights, as long as they don't become untargetable every 10 seconds, but less so in solo play.)
    +1, this is fine.
    --
    PVP Rogue,
    --[----- "Your friendly neighborhood spawn of Satan." -----]--
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Main Character: Hurricane Marigolds (Rogue WK & Assassin)
    Ingame Handle: trgluestickz
    Discord Name: Hurricane🌀Marigolds#2563
    Guilds: She Looked LVL 18 & Essence of Aggression
    Alliances: Imperium & Order of the Silent Shroud
    Platform: PC
This discussion has been closed.