test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Really confused on ability scores for bard class!!!

mwkmwk Member Posts: 401 Arc User
edited July 2021 in General Discussion (PC)
I'm thinking Intelligence and Dexterity. Yet, do Bards really do magic damage/control effects or do physical damage or both? I'm really confused! Physically, psychic damage manifests as direct damage to neurons in the body and brain, meaning magic control effect. So I'm thinking logically that way with song spells. Yet no one knows how this game performs for this class! Everyone is quite skeptical at this point and guessing!

I understand a Wisdom stat for healing, though for DPS role the class will get confusing.

[DPS]
-Intelligence and Dexterity
-Intelligence and Charisma
-Charisma and Dexterity

[Healer]
-Wisdom and Charisma
-Wisdom and Dexterity

Some might think it's Strength with stats because of melee attacks. This class is really confusing! What's the best outcome for ability scores for this class? I know for a fact that Charisma stat is always quite high to begin with any class, so I went with Intelligence and Dexterity.

Perhaps I'm just overthinking to confuse myself. I just need clarification on gameplay please!

@nitocris83
Post edited by mwk on

Comments

• arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    For the DPS paragon path, your damage type is dependent on what song you use, Tailwind Mambo=Projectile(physical), Steel March=Physical Damage, and Blaze Flamenco=burning(magical). These songs turn ALL your attacks into that type. So there are two choices a DPS Bard should make, does one play a song dependent on the group competition or to maximize their own dps. I personally choose to play the song that will benefit the group most, so I did not put stats into STR or INT, I instead picked DEX and CHA so that my increased stats will always give me benefit.
  • mwkmwk Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    What's the forte for Bard? Otherwise it's just recharge speed and forte. Will it be more beneficial to use magic/control effects?
    mwk said:

What's the forte for Bard? Otherwise it's just recharge speed and forte. Will it be more beneficial to use magic/control effects?

For DPS forte is Power, Crit Sev, and Deflect Sev.
    If you are looking for a damage bonus stat, I would suggest STR as it's already higher of the two. Like I stated above you can basically pick what type of damage you do.
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    Kinda curious if the projectile damage gets boosted by sharpshooters perk even if your powers are melee.
    edited July 2021
    So technically the Bard has the same forte as the Rogue. Hmmm ok. Edit: My bad, rogue is power-combat advantage-deflect severity.

So far....

Fleche-Psychic Damage
    Dancing Lights-Psychic damage
    Flourish-Increases the damage of song or encounter by 50%
    Duet-Arcane (NOTE: FOR SURE MAGIC!)
    Blaze Flamenco-Fire damage (Is it really magic damage or just acting like an enchantment-An enchanted lute?)

The problem with this class is that no one really knows! Charisma is very high to begin with, so why even go crazy with it, when there is arcane and psychic skills? To even get any benefit of high damage from Fleche, Dancing Lights, and Duet, you will need a source of control effect/magic boost! Honestly my mind is telling me I need Intelligence, because there is no other possible way to gain magic damage boost/control bonus from any other source, except control bonus; control bonus from insignia(s) for example.

Control Bonus. Increases the duration of your Crowd Control abilities. Control Bonus is a Rating that involves character's Crowd Control power, increasing: Combat Advantage, Daze, Immobilize, Prone, Slow & Stun duration. In fact the bard class has daze skills! So still thinking Intelligence!

Honestly this class relies on strength with melee and uses magic spells. So the question is psychic damage really a magic damage source? Psychic damage magical in DnD 5e-Indeed it is. Even if Wizards of the Coast come out with a full Psionic ruleset, Psychic damage is still considered magical. It's just a different kind of magic from spellcasting, which leaves me slightly confused. The reason why I'm mostly confused is that this class is a physical and a magical class. So how should I play it? Though in this game, magic boost/control bonus comes with Intelligence, so therefore I still think Intelligence has to be used based on skill set!

I really think this class is weird! What if it's Strength because of (physical) melee? Then Intelligence is because of pyschic/arcane (magic)? Yet, I like having more critical severity in the game, so I went with Intelligence and Dexterity. Those psychic and arcane skills just have me hooked as a magic type class! I don't know if I'm right or wrong? Though I really think this class needs intelligence to get any benefit from psychic and arcane skills!

This class can't rely on just charisma because all other classes use Strength, Wisdom, Intelligence as the main stat. Well Rogue use Dexterity as main stat but use Strength also. You know what I mean.

Honestly I'm leaning for the Strength and Intelligence artifact for later. Just to have best of both worlds a bit. However, there are far more psychic/arcane skills than physical attacks.

For me Bard is built for spellcasting of magic with song with some slight melee fight. Does anyone have any other mind set on how to role with this class with ability scores?

I really want to know the developers side on how this class works @nitocris83, so I'm still waiting for an answer.
    Post edited by mwk on
    mwk said:

So technically the Bard has the same forte as the Rogue. Hmmm ok.

So far....

Fleche-Psychic Damage
    Flourish-Increases the damage of song or encounter by 50%
    Blaze Flamenco-Fire damage (Is it really magic damage or just acting like an enchantment-An enchanted lute?)

The problem with this class is that no one really knows! Charisma is very high to begin with, so why even go crazy with it, when there is arcane and psychic skills? To even get any benefit of high damage from Fleche, Dancing Lights, and Duet, you will need a source of control effect/magic boost! Honestly my mind is telling me I need Intelligence, because there is no other possible way to gain magic damage boost/control bonus from any other source, except control bonus; control bonus from insignia(s) for example.

Control Bonus. Increases the duration of your Crowd Control abilities. Control Bonus is a Rating that involves character's Crowd Control power, increasing: Combat Advantage, Daze, Immobilize, Prone, Slow & Stun duration. In fact the bard class has daze skills! So still thinking Intelligence!

Honestly this class relies on strength with melee and uses magic spells. So the question is psychic damage really a magic damage source? Psychic damage magical in DnD 5e-Indeed it is. Even if Wizards of the Coast come out with a full Psionic ruleset, Psychic damage is still considered magical. It's just a different kind of magic from spellcasting, which leaves me slightly confused. The reason why I'm mostly confused is that this class is a physical and a magical class. So how should I play it? Though in this game, magic boost/control bonus comes with Intelligence, so therefore I still think Intelligence has to be used based on skill set!

I really think this class is weird! What if it's Strength because of (physical) melee? Then Intelligence is because of pyschic/arcane (magic)? Yet, I like having more critical severity in the game, so I went with Intelligence and Dexterity. Those psychic and arcane skills just have me hooked as a magic type class! I don't know if I'm right or wrong? Though I really think this class needs intelligence to get any benefit from psychic and arcane skills!

This class can't rely on just charisma because all other classes use Strength, Wisdom, Intelligence as the main stat. Well Rogue use Dexterity as main stat but use Strength also. You know what I mean.

Honestly I'm leaning for the Strength and Intelligence artifact for later. Just to have best of both worlds a bit. However, there are far more psychic/arcane skills than physical attacks.

For me Bard is built for spellcasting of magic with song with some slight melee fight. Does anyone have any other mind set on how to role with this class with ability scores?

I really want to know the developers side on how this class works @nitocris83, so I'm still waiting for an answer.

I don't think you really are getting it though. Blaze Flamenco turns ALL your attacks into fire, and later when you get the other 2 buff songs, they do the same thing with projectile and physical damage. Your going to have one of these 3 songs active at all times. It doesn't matter (except maybe for the short time you are levelling) what the attacks themselves say they are.
    edited July 2021
    Someone made the statement that Blaze Flamenco is magic based.

Fleche-Psychic Damage

(These skills are confusing me to use magic or simply intelligence [magic boost/control bonus] for some reason!)

How does this class work on ability scores? So far no one has gave me a clear answer! Also for sure I think CHARISMA shouldn't be used! Yet I'm going to try to it. Using my main's astrals diamonds to really test...all wells.

I guess the charisma is the so called make-up stat?!

Post edited by mwk on
    edited July 2021
    Charisma and Dexterity is what people are using so I guess I'm using it! However, this class is weird and will be probably on my least play!

Post edited by mwk on
  • khaozhunterkhaozhunter Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    when you use a song, the damage type of your at-will and encounter change to damge type of the song no matter what the att-will tooltip or encounter tooltip says, and this will happen while the song buff is active.
    edited July 2021
    Ok with sun-elf the stats are at start

This is level 11 by the way. This compare is for reference.

[Int-Dex]
    Power-69.7%
    Critical Severity-69.7%

[Int-Cha]
    Power-70.2%
    Critical Severity-69%

Technically power is the better stat so I needed that and also I have some deflect severity from forte because of the Charisma. I race re-rolled on purpose to change to Int-Cha from Int-Dex, which is the better choice. This class is weird, but the psychic/arcane and physical attacks really was confusing me. This forum is CLOSED. Thanks for the help!
    mwk said:

Ok with sun-elf the stats are at start

This is level 11 by the way. This compare is for reference.

[Int-Dex]
    Power-69.7%
    Critical Severity-69.7%

[Int-Cha]
    Power-70.2%
    Critical Severity-69%

Technically power is the better stat so I needed that and also I have some deflect severity from forte because of the Charisma. I race re-rolled on purpose to change to Int-Cha from Int-Dex, which is the better choice. This class is weird, but the psychic/arcane and physical attacks really was confusing me. This forum is CLOSED. Thanks for the help!

Just make sure (at least when you are solo) to use Blaze Flamenco to turn all those physical attacks into burning if you are building into INT.