test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bards in Games

sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
With the upcoming new class being a bard, I decided to discuss some other bards in video games. This thread is not meant to promoting any game above the others, it is just a reflection on other famous and infamous bards in video games.

Probably the most famous and infamous bard is "The Bard's Tale" series. Created in 1985 by Michael Cranford, published by Interplay, and inspired no less than 8 novels to be made. Much later in 2004, InXile Entertainment developed the humorous version of the same game.

Dungeons and Dragons Online by Warner Bros. Interactive, offered bards since the beginning. The game continues to offer bards as a free to play buffing class.

Black Desert Online has the Shai the creature is not human but more mouse like. They are the healer and with a bit of work become the bard with a selection of songs and instruments.

Maybe you are new to this class and would like more information on what a bard represents in the fantasy world of D&D? Here is a video discussion on this topic over on Web DM.

If you can think of other video game bards, be sure to list them below.
wb-cenders.gif

Comments

• Options
    blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User

Black Desert Online has the Shai the creature is not human but more mouse like. They are the healer and with a bit of work become the bard with a selection of songs and instruments.

Actually the shai are technically not bards. They do heal and buff your party, they can play several musical instruments, however the music doesn't buff your party. Although I think even the healing and buffs comes from the jar they carry. They carry that fairy in a jar and smack you with it upside your head. I don't play a shai for a few good reasons. They are mean spirited little girls with an oversized boomerang also cruel to fairies. The character is gender locked, I don't want my friends thinking I am a lolli lover. Even if I were able to play as a male, they would think I belong to some other illicit subculture. Shai creep people out like Hit Girl in Kickass, they are a support class, they come into the game with both professional life skills and alchemy, they are the only class so far that can play musical instruments, but they are NOT a bard.

If you can think of other video game bards, be sure to list them below.

Bards are somewhat limited in video games, but I do plan to create and play a bard class. I assume they haven't cancelled the module? Maybe I will be able to show up as my bard for the Halloween party. We can play name that tune.

Just killing time...
  • Options
    unknowndramaunknowndrama Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User
    Rift has a fun Bard :)
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    @unknowndrama I forgot about Rift, I wasn't aware that one was still up and running. :smile: I lost interest in the game, after a great introduction the plot just falls flat. But yes, I do remember playing a bard, thought the game was going for the whole magic versus science, but that never happens. Both sides used magic and science, after the tutorial, the game just degrades into a zergling army running from rift to rift in order to gain XP. It was ok for about 6 to 8 months of gameplay. I also remember some events that didn't make any sense. Like a winter event where sleds could run both uphill and downhill. I think that was because the game engine lacked any physics.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    EverQuest had a solid Bard, a hybrid class/jack-of-all-trades.
    If I remember well (it was a long time ago ^^), he was really potent in party buffing (outdoor speed/melee overhaste), crowd controls (mesmerize/charm), pulling & kiting.

In EQ2, at least when i played it, the bard was either a buff/debuff bot or a melee who could dps quite well, battlerez, offtank a fair amount of time.
  • Options
    I haven't been online but my husband said the Summer Festival started today. Reminded me if there was something I needed to pick up in there. I hope everyone is enjoying the Summer Festival and their new bards. Meanwhile this is not a bard in Black Desert, this is my wizard.

wb-cenders.gif