test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Devil wings.

rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
@nitocris83 I thought I'd put this in it's own thread. A very (very) long time ago I suggested here on the forum that it would be nice to have devil wings in the game because there was only one type of wing then and it was the fairy wings on that old feywild fashion set and nothing else, I think I said at the time we had Tieflings and all sorts of other magical beings besides fairys and it would be nice to have some choice of other wings to wear as fashion and would make sense in the game considering the content. I basically just wanted some devil wings lol. All I got in that thread at the time was one 'LOL' from someone and nothing else. Fast forward, the game finally put in the Infernal set which had wings (a little too big for my taste but anyway beggars can't be choosers), but I had a couple of times where I wasn't around during a few Jubilees and I missed getting my wings whenever they were available. In the other thread concerning the throne and the tooltip, I was very excited to see I would finally get my wings because they were on the list, there were two things I had kept missing out on over the years, the throne and the wings, the throne was more important to me than the wings but I was excited about both, now that the tooltip is fixed and the throne is on it, the wings are gone pmsl, I guess it was last years tooltip or something because the fashion set has been updated to a fey one to match Sharandar 2.0. I also know from reading some historical threads that there was an issue with the wings animation, it worked for clerics but no-one else (I saw an old video by Silvery recently where she had just got the wings and had them flapping and they looked amazing) but I also read a thread where you posted that there was going to be some kind of hotfix or patch to stop them moving and that maybe in future there could possibly be two versions, one flapping and one not. I'm guessing the removal of the wings may have something to do with that issue, could be wrong, but that is my guess and they're just on hold until that is sorted, no idea really.

Anyway, can you please give some info on what is the state of the infernal set now, is it going to be available elsewhere aside from the Jubilee event where it is now gone (because I would happily go there and get them that way) or is it a case of they are discontinued until further notice when the animation issue is finally sorted-out. I would appreciate just knowing what the state of play is with the wings, if they're not around now I can't do much about that, but if they are or if they aren't now temporarily but are coming back sometime later it would be really nice to know. If they're not coming back at all that would be good to know too. Even if you have no firm info on this, anything at all you can offer no matter how small would still be appreciated. Thx.
Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.

Comments

• hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    They had only the one set of demon wings (part of the 3 piece costume set) I don't recall the event, but it was a very limited time. Players got angry because clerics wings would flap and they took the flap away. I seem to recall at the time they said that a flapping version would be available for all in the future. That promise has yet to bare fruit.

What I assume you desire is something like the angel wings (mount) and not just cosmetic? I don't know why they would offer a set from the campaign without the opposing set. I guess that just makes too much sense?

Irregardless of their reasons, when I tested Champions online I was able to make a flying demon no problem. The core game is the same, you can paste wings on any model for appearances. The flight is just another mechanic that already exists. If this was my project, I would be cranking out wings for everyone to buy and wear.

Best of luck with your request.
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    No, I just wanted cosmetic devil wings to wear. :-)
  • hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    you refering to wings like in this video?? Which is part of Seducer Fashion, whom where limited edition for jubile event?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLZwJ3EeG1Q
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
    Yup they're the ones. Limited edition? Where does it say that. Just knowing that would have prevented me from expecting them to be available. It would be nice if @nitocris83 would reply. When you preview the wings from collections they look like this:

The tooltip says "binds on pickup" and makes it sound like they are still available, I'm not saying they are (I would like to see where it says they were limited edition though) but if they're not, the tooltip should really say so because it's sort of misleading.

• nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    We are looking at other ways/events where players can obtain items that are no longer available from their original source.
  • xenocide#6577 xenocide Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    There used to be a quest from lord Neverember years ago that required you to run I think 4 specific dungeons. Completing the quest would give you a blood ruby and a few other things.

Perhaps we could have a weekly quest similar to this one that gives you a promissory note (or some other item, token of appreciation, ect)
    Players could then spend these tokens..... Or promissory note, hint hint, to obtained the vaulted transmute items that he has on sale for that month or season.

We are looking at other ways/events where players can obtain items that are no longer available from their original source.

@nitocris83 Ok well that's fair and thanks for letting me know. I have since come to understand by just working it out for myself that the fashion sets probably change year by year and just got confused by two things: 1. the thrones accumulate each year and stay available and I thought the fashion sets would be doing the same thing (why they don't I have no idea, why would that be so hard) and 2. the tooltip when the Jubilee event was eventually listed on the ingame calendar had them listed as being available but I now think that it was probably last years tooltip in error. (This is why tooltip accuracy is so important to players because it can cause unnecessary confusion when it's the only place to find information but it's incorrect.) It would a good thing to have items available elsewhere because let's use the wings as an example, they are listed in collections right? Some people have a thing for collecting these things just for the sense of personal achievement (this is I imagine what the collections feature was created for in the first place), and a new player will come into the game and see the collections and make the decision they are going to challenge themselves to get the entire collection. This activity is important to some players and it's one thing they enjoy doing. But as it stands right now, they will see the wings and intend collecting them along with everything else on that section, but they will not know that they are not available. Tbh if they aren't available any longer for new players, they shouldn't really be in the collections section for this reason, because you are just setting a player who is committed to this part of the game in a big way, up for grief and resentment. They will at some stage find out they are not available and feel a bunch of negative emotions.

I say this in a supportive way because I'm trying to be helpful to the company, but the one big failing I see time and again in this game from those who run Cryptic is that players are left feeling negative emotions way too often when they are coming to the game to enjoy themselves and escape and have recreation time and should be feeling only positive and good feelings. There is just too many times where things in the game, either bugs or various ways in which things work or decisions made, make players feel cr@ppy. It's supposed to be a company which provides entertainment and the fact that players so often feel deflated or disappointed and let down is not something Cryptic should be creating. It is little things and big things which cause this to happen, and having things in a collections page where a new player cannot in fact collect it at all and therefore have an incomplete collection through no fault of their own when this is something they are striving for and it's important to them (it's not to me personally, I don't give a toss about collections, but I know other people really get into this aspect of Neverwinter and find it a challenge they want to achieve so I'm just using this as an example here) is at the end of the day a small thing which can easily be avoided. And it's the small things adding up over time which aggravate and lose players and ultimately $$$ for the company. So attention to details such as these wings being in collections but not being available is just one more small way Cryptic is enabling these negative experiences to manifest. Hopefully the company will indeed find some way to make them available again, but if not, please tell them to just remove them from collections altogether, or at the very least alter the tooltip to state under the title of the item that it is a special limited edition item which is no longer available. This easy solution would at least prevent a new player from having a negative experience. Cheers.
  • jadebleurose#3318 jadebleurose Member Posts: 24 Arc User

The tooltip says "binds on pickup" and makes it sound like they are still available, I'm not saying they are (I would like to see where it says they were limited edition though) but if they're not, the tooltip should really say so because it's sort of misleading.

I remember that set. First time I saw it was last year's Protector's Jubilee event. I think that's why some people were saying it was a limited time offer. Because, you could only get it (all 3 pieces of the costume) by completing certain quests and accumulating certain tokens or something. The wing animation was AMAZING, and I busted myself to get the outfit for all of my characters during the event, and then some people complained they didn't like the animation, and so the devs took it away. Also, for some unknown reason, the animation only worked on Cleric characters. I don't even use the sets anymore because I don't like the static wing look, even with the subtle gentle flapping animation. To each his own, I suppose. The NW community was VERY divided on this issue. After taking away the flapping animation, and after the event ended, the devs stated they would later release a flapping version for anyone to purchase or win, etc. A few months later, the Celestial Wing mount became available. Which, seriously, is awesome! And, I think most everyone likes them because you're NOT limited to only, possibly - maybe getting one in a lockbox drop (slim to no chance, there), you could buy them from the Zen Market. (The regular blueish hued ones, anyway. I've heard there's a golden hued pair that you can win in the Citadel Campaign, but I have not done that one yet, so I can't say for certain.) And, since it is a mount the wings disappear when your character lands or begins fighting, so no one has to see the flapping while everyone is running around.

But, like you, I totally agree that there should be a devil wing version for the more infernal and/or dragonborn; or even dark aligned characters (if you have a character you like playing with a dark side aspect to their physical appearance). Let's face it, an evil or dragonborn or tiefling character looks strange to me with angel and fairy wings.

Hey devs! You knocked it out the park with the Celestial Wings mount! Seriously awesome animation and look. Can we have a mount of animated devil or infernal wings now. The mechanic already exists, you just need to re-skin them. Right?

I'm lookin' at you @nitocris83. ;):3

edited June 2021
    Hi @jadebleurose#3318 . Yea I did hear about the aggro from some players towards the flapping wings but here's the thing and I'd like to point this out to anyone who says those flapping wings on a player would be a bother and stop them seeing properly (which is what I read as the reason they didn't like them)... We now have multiple companions with flapping massive wings, the floating angel companions are HUGE, when they are near you you actually cannot see what you are fighting tbh those wings take up your whole screen, there are sometimes a couple of them in a party, however to my knowledge no-one complains about those and people keep buying that companion as we speak from the Zen store so we're just getting more of them added as time goes by, similarly we have also the polar bear mount combat power which puts a massive polar bear in the fight and I've had one proc many times right next to me or in front of me and it sits there blocking my entire view but I just move out of the way so I can see what I'm doing. There is also another thing in the game which can inhibit your view which is the butterflies from the wand of wonders, though I personally choose not to use this wand in parties even though I love it and would like to, because it creates such a huge area where vision is impaired. There are also a variety of other things such as the throne of the dwarven gods artifact which can slightly inhibit vision and makes things less clear to see plus other graphical effects which glow so bright you can't really see much at the time. None of those things are being removed and nor should they be, and even though those massive angel companions annoy me to no end and I really wish I didn't have to deal with the gargantuan size of them impairing my field of vision when they're nearby, there is no way I would ever ask for them to be taken out of the game because they bring other players pleasure and they like having them. That would be selfish of me. I actually think that when players complained about the devil wing outfit blocking their view it was probably more a case of sour grapes because there was apparently a bug where they were only working for the cleric class and no-one else and they were just coming up with anything to complain about, if they had flapped for everyone they probably would not have wanted them to stop moving. That may or may not be the case, but as I say, we still have other things which have the same effect in the game and no-one is asking for them to be removed and complaining about them being too big and blocking their view.

Someone else in this thread suggested to me that I might be wanting a mount with wings as you have, but this is not what I want. I simply want a permanent set of devil wings to wear all the time as part of my character, not just when I am moving around and which disappear when I am not mounted. I want them to be a part of him as if he was born with them and part of his permanent look at all times. I don't care if they're moving or not, the ones which many players currently are wearing all throughout the game and do not flap would do me fine.

The other wings you mention (the blue ones from the Zen Store and the golden ones you buy for favor in the Citadel store) are both more like fairy wings and not devilish enough for me. They are also to my knowledge not dye-able and if the golden wings were able to be turned black for instance it might just possibly be a look I could live with, but as both of those wings are, they do not fit the devil vibe the Infernal fashion set would have given me. The shape is all wrong anyway as I say, it is akin to fairy wings and if I wanted fairy wings I would have worn that fey fashion set which has been around forever. Devil wings have a certain shape all the others do not. It's the shape I'm after and also the ability to dye part of them to match your skin (so they look like they're growing out of your back) which you can also do with with the wings on the Infernal fashion set.
    Post edited by rockster#6227 on
    edited June 2021
    P.S. If they had both a moving and non-moving version of the devil wings in the Infernal fashion set I would get both and wear the flapping ones when not in combat and when I entered a queue or joined a party I would simply swap them out for the ones which do not. That would take two seconds to do. -Or if the programmers were worth anything, they could code the flapping version so that when you entered combat they stopped moving and reverted to the non-moving type.
  • caldochaud#4880 caldochaud Member Posts: 213 Arc User
    Considering how mod 21 removes a ton of items from our professions (since crafting has been reduced from level 80 to level 20), what if we could craft a similar type of these bat-wings... For example, being a fan of Neverwinter Nights, I would love to craft a "Robe of the Red Dragon Disciple" with wings for the Bard to wear.

Heck, I'd love to craft a "Robe of the Pale Master" with Undead Graft Arm for my wizard to wear.

Crafting such fashion items in Professions would definitely keep crafting alive in Neverwinter!
    "Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire." - Sir Bernard Williams
  • trgluestickztrgluestickz Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    I find it strange Cryptic decided to remove EVEN MORE things people like about the jubilee event right before it happens, as if removing the 50% off zen coupons wasn't already going to be a huge disappointment to people who were looking forwards to this event. Why remove the hugely popular wings fashion from this event?
    --
    PVP Rogue,
    --[----- "Your friendly neighborhood spawn of Satan." -----]--
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Main Character: Hurricane Marigolds (Rogue WK & Assassin)
    Ingame Handle: trgluestickz
    Discord Name: Hurricane🌀Marigolds#2563
    Guilds: She Looked LVL 18 & Essence of Aggression
    Alliances: Imperium & Order of the Silent Shroud
    Platform: PC
    I can't see the fire breathing emote either, though it may not be in the store and might be elsewhere.
  • jadebleurose#3318 jadebleurose Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Hi @rockster#6227

Yeh, like I said, the community got pretty heated over the wing flapping. Which I didn't understand for the same reasons you mentioned. Also, they could be easily switched out for combat. What I don't understand is, after all that work and hoopla, they don't even make the Seductive Fashion outfit available for the Jubilee event this year, or even in general. Our only choice for fashion or mounts, when it comes to wings are angel or fairy wings. While I do not care for the static devil wings, I still believe they should be available for players who have characters like Tieflings, Dragonborn, or dark/evil fashioned characters. Like, if you want your Elven Warlock or Wizard to look more like they gleefully hopped the terminus and plunged into dark side. Ironically, nothing like that is even available in the Avernus campaign. So weird. I'm sorry that you missed out on that outfit. They debuted it once and then gone. Which is surprising, considering how long the Masquerade fashion was available. Market is/was just totally saturated with that one for a good while. I think I've got a set for all of my characters by now. But, I won most of mine through the event, cause I'm a nut who actually enjoys running my characters up and down walls and over rooftops to hunt pumpkins and candy-giving trickster spirits. LOL
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    I think that a set of wings should be a standard option for Dragonborn. I waited a year in the hopes that I could get the Seductive Shirt so my Dragonborn would look complete. I was even going to splurge for a change token to revert him back to a normal Dragonborn from a Platinum so they would match. I don't care if they flap.
    Post edited by thlaylierah on
    edited June 2021
    Cryptic has a habit of doing this in their games. They could double their profits if they just provided a way for players to get the cosmetic items that don't effect game play that they want.
    edited June 2021

Hi @rockster#6227

Yeh, like I said, the community got pretty heated over the wing flapping. Which I didn't understand for the same reasons you mentioned. Also, they could be easily switched out for combat. What I don't understand is, after all that work and hoopla, they don't even make the Seductive Fashion outfit available for the Jubilee event this year, or even in general. Our only choice for fashion or mounts, when it comes to wings are angel or fairy wings. While I do not care for the static devil wings, I still believe they should be available for players who have characters like Tieflings, Dragonborn, or dark/evil fashioned characters. Like, if you want your Elven Warlock or Wizard to look more like they gleefully hopped the terminus and plunged into dark side. Ironically, nothing like that is even available in the Avernus campaign. So weird. I'm sorry that you missed out on that outfit. They debuted it once and then gone. Which is surprising, considering how long the Masquerade fashion was available. Market is/was just totally saturated with that one for a good while. I think I've got a set for all of my characters by now. But, I won most of mine through the event, cause I'm a nut who actually enjoys running my characters up and down walls and over rooftops to hunt pumpkins and candy-giving trickster spirits. LOL

I bought the fey outfit yesterday just as an experiment, put on the shirt and I dyed all layers black. Looked better but not quite right. I played with some reds, browns and oranges on the layers and got an effect in the end where I had a nice glowy red patch on the wings with the rest black, that was better but still not right either. I decided it's just the shape it's just too 'butterfly' to work as a devil. The Throne of the Redeemed is also gone, I'm wondering if it's something else like some legal issue or a contract with designers who possibly worked on both of those items.

P.S. The fey costume wings may have been a bust but as it happened I found the boots from that set to be pretty interesting when dyed black, they're definitely staying in my wardrobe.
  • idthrennion#8157 idthrennion Member Posts: 23 Arc User

Considering how mod 21 removes a ton of items from our professions (since crafting has been reduced from level 80 to level 20), what if we could craft a similar type of these bat-wings... For example, being a fan of Neverwinter Nights, I would love to craft a "Robe of the Red Dragon Disciple" with wings for the Bard to wear.

Heck, I'd love to craft a "Robe of the Pale Master" with Undead Graft Arm for my wizard to wear.

Crafting such fashion items in Professions would definitely keep crafting alive in Neverwinter!

~~~~~~~~~~
    ...! Also a huge fan of Neverwinter Nights, with the ability to craft such items would force the workshop to be my new NW solace--leaving the confines of creative genius only to hunt and gather more supplies needed to hone and sharpen these skills.

Seriously, that would be awesome fun.

I just cut about three paragraphs off this because it was on topic of the workshop, but off the general topic altogether. I'll paste it to a text file and see if it fits in elsewhere sometime.

@rockster I have the "Seductive" Sets' Top which are the wings, and the bottoms that includes a Tiefling-like tail, but fell short on on the required currency for th headpiece. Which I think were little horns. I'm pretty sure.

I just remember barely getting the bottoms bought and logging out just before the maintenance countdown hit its single digits.

Without even trying them on. Logging in after maintenance was more exciting though because I got to put them on. I think by the animation of the wings was killed during that maintenance as the event ended. Or maybe it was the next weeks maintenance. I just remember it was fast, and I want to say it was that very maintenance. (If I am incorrect, don't kill me for thinking/typing out loud) Honest mistake if i am.

I'm not much of "i need every item in the game" style collector--but I would like to finish the set and get those horns, too. As it is, rockster I would gladly give what i have to you if I could, but I am also pretty dang certain that that set was BoP or else I would state the obvious and say check the AH.

Maybe the TTB Merchant. But if someone hasn't said that by now, then as of right this moment all we can do is cross fingers a little and see what happens.

~T~

TTB Merchant?
  • idthrennion#8157 idthrennion Member Posts: 23 Arc User

TTB Merchant?

TTB = Tarmalune Trade Bars.

The trade bar merchant is the rotund-ish and jovial man dressed in purple found in PE (one of a few locations to find a ttb merchant) near the Tarmalune Auction House on the Strip-Mall where the Wonderous Bazaar is located. He is the guy that sells many things, but is mostly known for selling Companion and Mount Upgrade Tokens, which of course we all need desperately to adapt to all the new, recent changes that have been going on in Neverwinter. "hhhHHHHHHHhhhhaaaaaiiiiiL, Adventurer!"

For anyone that doesn't know what trade bars are, they are silver bars that are primarily found in the lockboxes that drop randomly from the mobs we kill all over Neverwinter. Some players pick these lockboxes up, some ignore them all together.

The trade bar is simply another form of Neverwinter currency, albeit a currency that is a bit more difficult to obtain without the benefits of a VIP membership.

Unless you have VIP and receive a daily key to open these lockboxes for a chance to win a minimum of 25 trade bars along with a couple other rewards, you might not be all that experienced interacting with the trade bar merchant, or ttb merchant.

I think the only other way that you might see trade bars is the very rare chance they might drop from the final chest found at the end of dungeons, and possibly even rewarded in other ways that, if they have, I'm not certain.
    Events maybe?

(Quick Note: For the last three lockboxes, each box promises anywhere from 25-1000 trade bars with 25 being the most common to drop along with two other rewards from two different brackets. Per lockbox, a minimum of 25 trade bars are acquired. With a daily key, the bars add up, especially since quite often you hit more than 25 at a time. That is what is set for now. I do not know if that is going to change at any time as new lockboxes come out in the future. Please research each new box to see its potential rewards before assuming you will receive no less than 25 trade bars per box).

It's one of the reasons i make sure I have my VIP running, and when I don't, I make sure it's not down for long, because for now, as it has been, the bare minimum amount of trade bars, per day, leads to companion and mount rank ups faster than without. (This is just my own personal opinion from my own experience, and if you have better things to spend your money on than Neverwinter VIP membership, I encourage you to do just that.

Though VIP has its advantages, especially quality of Neverwinter life benefits such as getting around from map to map, or the VIP rank dependent ability to bring things to you so you don't have to go to it (vendors, bank, mailbox, etc), it does often lead to a lot of disappointments brought on by your daily lockbox key that technically, you brought upon yourself by getting VIP in the first place--it's a double edged sword and it could use some improvements to make VIP more desirable, but even as it is now, I choose to not live without it if I can help it.

You do not have to have VIP to play, enjoy, or advance in Neverwinter. That being said... I'm going to go play the game now.

good luck all, have fun and happy hunting.

***All of the above if of my own opinion, shared willingly with no association with Cryptic in anyway aside from playing Neverwinter and using their forums to express these opinions, thoughts and griefs as I see fit.

I am also under no duress or threat of life by anyone associated with Cryptic to express such beliefs.

Though VIP membership is for me, it is not for everybody.

I am not urging, supporting, nor telling you to pay for VIP membership.

That decision is solely yours to make. And of course, is under a certain age, parental consent might be required as well.

My reasons for maintaining my own VIP membership are personal, decided by me, myself and I behind closed doors in my own house during my monthly 'committee of fools' meeting held, on time, by myself, president of my own fan club that is also in charge of making such a decision as to whether or not to renew such VIP membership. ***

:)

~T~
    edited June 2021
    Thank you I have indeed received TTB's from alternate sources besides my VIP membership. Do you really think he sells the Seductive Shirt? That would be awesome.