test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wizard Encounter Power Cooldown Reset

thomasisalonethomasisalone Member Posts: 78 Arc User
The encounter powers on the wizard are suffering a bug that causes their encounter power cooldown to regularly reset by (usually) 1-2 seconds. This issue can occur at any time - both when encounters powers are being used in quick succession, or even when just one is being cast. There is no limit to how many times the cooldown can be reset (e.g. I have had Repel reset 10 times in a row before it could be cast). Sometimes the animation happens, but no damaged is done.

A related issue, I think, is that sometimes encounter power cooldowns can reset completely on use (i.e. the cooldown starts again without the power being cast). This is rarer but has come up a few times. In this case, the full casting animation occurs, but no damage is done and no control effects occur.

I understand this bug has been reported before (at least as early as August 2020), but it still occurring.

Comments

• monomordmonomord Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    just was going to report this bug myself and here it is. It occurs frequently and really annoying.
  • merazinmerazin Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    In my case I can have clean fight without bag for around 2 minutes but then it happens multiple times. So its kinda random but definitely exist. You can reproduce it by:

- Hitting target dummy around 5 minutes with full rotation
    - try to use encounter instantly on cooldown
    - during that you will notice that sometimes when you try to use encounter it add 1-2 seconds to cooldown even though on your panel it shows ready to use
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    This happens since mod 16 and the introduction of "Arcane Empowerment". They changed something in the cooldown system, maybe to implement very fast cooldowns for this power.

It occurs during the effect of Arcane Empowerment, and also when that power is not used (less frecuently)

Very anyoning yes.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • onethree13#1845 onethree13 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    These are all old problems and bugs. I bet the devs have known about them for a long time. At least a year.
    What happened at all? Why are you so suddenly interested in Wizards? A few months ago, no one cared about them.
  • tomasko#4203 tomasko Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Feels like situation got worse recently. This bug just appears in 4 encounters in a row! 4 in a row! And its happening constantly. How am I suppose to play this game of I cant use my skills?

You gonna lose players because of this. Probably lost some already. Especially new one when leveling up, they dont care enough to spent time reporting this issue. They will just quit and play something else.
  • sheantalexsheantalex Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    It is actually ruins gameplay for CW. Please fix it! At least respond so we know that you noticed this problem.
    edited March 2021
    merazin said:

In my case I can have clean fight without bag for around 2 minutes but then it happens multiple times. So its kinda random but definitely exist. You can reproduce it by:

- Hitting target dummy around 5 minutes with full rotation
    - try to use encounter instantly on cooldown
    - during that you will notice that sometimes when you try to use encounter it add 1-2 seconds to cooldown even though on your panel it shows ready to use

Good way to repro. So this report fit bug reporting guidelines. I can add that it is easier to repro as arcanist. Use Ray of enfeeblement, repel, entangling force, disintegrate, ray of frost in between and arcane empowerment. In 5 minutes(most likely way sooner) of damaging target dummy with this rotation you will 100% see bug.
    Post edited by monomord on
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    Issue was reported last week. Thank you for updates to the thread!
    Any news?
  • serpeer#6400 serpeer Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    could we have an answer? @nitocris83
  • madamdevilmadamdevil Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    Also had this problem. Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery irritating!
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer

could we have an answer? @nitocris83

No additional updates at this time
    Are you at least working on it?
  • pelgraxpelgrax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    This bug and others for cw has existed for way over 18 months . I have posted multiple times previously about it ( steal times problems ) but at the moment can't remember how to search for my previous postings to check the dates I posted on .
    If someone else knows how to search for my previous postings or even the devs who should be able to look and see exactly how long ago I posted .
    It has basically just seemingly been ignored .
    Steal time still bugs occasionally for me .

found my previous posting : https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/comment/13158427
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    I had this happen a long time ago on my CW, encounters would act really funny and sometimes not work and go to 2 seconds on the timer and I think I posted about it back then. Also I read the post linked above relating to Steal Time and I also had huge problems back then with Steal time where the animation would happen and the sound would happen but nothing else would happen and it was very frequent.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
    well, i guess this issue is not significant enough fo devs. just ruins gameplay for class, no big deal.

decisions like this led game to current state.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    Wizards are (were) due some work this year for the balancing.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • bifflincultebifflinculte Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    Instead of fixing or modifying powers one by one since months, why not giving to wizard a big reset? It's not only about bugs or balance with other classes, it's about bad gameplay.
    Arcanist and thaumaturge also need different gameplays, now it's basically the same with different spells, and Storm Spell replaced by Smolder.
  • dillygirldillygirl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 321 Arc User
    I don' t even remember anymore when this bug wasn't present. It's one of the reasons I always ask when you're doing bug fixes when they ask what we want for quality of life updates.

At one point I had started recording videos of whenever this bug (the cooldowns 'resetting') happened. If those would be useful for the process of getting the bugs fixed let me know how I can best share them with you.
    edited May 2021
    dillygirl said:

I don' t even remember anymore when this bug wasn't present. It's one of the reasons I always ask when you're doing bug fixes when they ask what we want for quality of life updates.

At one point I had started recording videos of whenever this bug (the cooldowns 'resetting') happened. If those would be useful for the process of getting the bugs fixed let me know how I can best share them with you.
    It happens mostly at the end of the buff from Arcane Empowerment daily. The taumaturge doesn't seem affected.
  • horizonxaelhorizonxael Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    it happens to me that the magician freezes and cannot move jump but only shoot and I have to change instance to resolve, not even death or stuk works this and caused when I use lightning very fast.
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    This bug started in M16 with the introduction of Arcane Empowerment. I assume is something to prevent cooldowns of 0 or something. But it happens even if you dont use that power. Was reported in the first week of M16 or maybe even before.

The question is: Is acceptable for the company to have a bug like this for more than 2 years? For me it is not, and makes the experience of playing a wizard much less fun and more frustrating.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    edited May 2021

it happens to me that the magician freezes and cannot move jump but only shoot and I have to change instance to resolve, not even death or stuk works this and caused when I use lightning very fast.

This may not be connected to your problem, but I have from time to time found that my character (both my old CW and my current Cleric) gets stuck standing still and I cannot move in any direction, just rooted in place with W (and I'm pretty sure ASD as well) doing nothing. What I found was that using shift to dash/dodge/teleport gets me out of it so if it happens I do that. This is the second of two things affecting the W key I have previously reported as a bug, the other one is when you hit W and instead of moving forward your at-wills start firing for no reason while you are just standing still.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
    Are you working on it? Can we have update? I understand that u have a lot of issues but gameplay on whole class is ruined because of this bug. Its has to be significant.

dillygirl said:

It happens mostly at the end of the buff from Arcane Empowerment daily. The taumaturge doesn't seem affected.
    Pretty sure it happens regardless of if you did your daily if you use the encounter cooldown shirt
    Still ongoing as of todays patch. Version: NW.125.20210524a.8
    so far no changes... bug appears constanly
  • thomasisalonethomasisalone Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    Is there an update @nitocris83 ? It has been 3.5 months since I reported it, and longer since it was first reported.
    edited June 2021
    monomord said:

so far no changes... bug appears constanly

"It's not a bug, it's a feature"

Sorry for the trolling, but i expect nothing anymore for the wizard class. Years of bug reportings, contructive critics and insightful proposals did nothing.
    Post edited by bifflinculte on
  • malakut#1916 malakut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    @nitocris83 Come on man, can you please get on the Dev team about this? Kinda sucks that because of this bug, a LOT of wizards are not able to enjoy the class they have invested countless hours, AD, Zen, blood, and sweat into. Would be hella nice if this could get fixed BEFORE the silly Harpy class goes live...