test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Worth it?

Doesnt find a area to post this question, so i guess here is fine.

is neverwinter worth to start playing as a new player? tbh i dont wanna waste time with a game which as 50 players or less, is there enough population to do all the content in the game? and if yes is there a full beginner progression guide and a dps tier list? (just to know which are good im a dps meta player, i just want the best dps right now)

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    Not really.
    No, there are much much more than 50 players.
    Yes, there are enough population to do all the content in my opinion.
    There may be some guides but I am not sure if they are up-to-day.
    I don't think you will like this game.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Only way to find out is to try it.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • sagakaiyume#0847 sagakaiyume Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    Even if you join a guild, early on you won't be getting parties for dungeon content, pugging will take ages as a dps trying to queue in, dps tier list doesn't exist really because most stopped caring after the combat rework mostly just the very tiny pvp group still clinging to hope balance will happen. There is no separation between pvp and pve balancing so pve always gets a negative hit in the wrong direction whenever pvp does get addressed. Open world you'll never get parties unless you find a magical guild that...helps once in open world then just says "here some stuff, get to 80 and we'll teach you" basically. Its not because the player base doesn't want to help, its just leveling to 80 is nothing more than a pain for most. End game content is boring with people running maybe 3 dungeons/trials (vos, tomm,zariel/baby zariel) and getting everything to catch up to do end game stuff before it shuts down after the mess they made won't happen without spending.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    @avoie68#6606 I agree with @greywynd the only way to find out is to try it.

As for population, it is the lowest it has been since the game started. Every once in a while I do a census in the event someone should ask. As your luck my have it, my last census was on May 15 at 3 PM EST.

Port Nyanzaru = 19
    Soshenstar River = 17
    Lost City of Omu = 20
    Undermountain = 142
    Stardock = 5
    Vallenhas = 164
    Avernus = 267
    ===

New Sharandar = 225
    Barovia = 38
    Dread Ring = 36
    Well of Dragons = 81
    Mantol-Derith = 12
    Bryn Shander = 18
    Lonelywood = 10
    Cold Run = 2
    Sea of Moving Ice = 16
    Icewind Pass = 23
    Dwarven Valley = 9
    Caer-Konig = 17
    ===

Elemental Evil
    Drowned Shore = 29
    Reclamation Rock = 20
    Fiery Pit = 26
    Spinward Rise = 10
    ===

Ebon Downs = 22
    Blackdagger = 70
    Hotenow = 35
    Pirate Skyhold = 27
    Vellosk = 23
    Helm's Hold = 41
    Icespire Peak = 48
    Rothe Valley = 19
    Whispering Caverns = 19
    ===

Protector's Enclave
    30x15 = 450
    8x14 = 112
    +91
    ====

Blacklake = 72
    Tower District = 98
    Neverdeath Graveyard = 72
    River District = 108
    The Chasm = 30
    ===

2,319 Total Online (excluded are Strongholds and Dungeons)

I hope that gives you an idea of game population. You may find only 50 people or less in a given area but Protector's Enclave is the game's hub. I am use to seeing 900 or more in there, and as you can see from that list it is down 28% from what I consider to be normal. The overall game is broken up in "Adventure Zones" and Campaign Modules. Vallenhas, Avernus, and New Sharandar are modules 18, 19, and 20 and judging by my census you can see New Sharandar is not as popular as the prior module but both are well over 50 players.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    I went to Caer Konig a few weeks ago and there was only one instance open and only one other person in it. I was like wtf.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    It often depends on the time and day - evenings and weekends are always the best for numbers online.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
    armadeonx said:

It often depends on the time and day - evenings and weekends are always the best for numbers online.

When you get a blend of Europe and America.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    edited May 2021
    greywynd said:

armadeonx said:

@rockster#6227 and @armadeonx that was a peak time on last Saturday.

In the past, I have done studies, you recall when everyone was arguing about the Steam number accuracy. I took count using the built in methods within the game and found them highly accurate. Using all the places listed above you will spend less than an hour counting people. This Monday at 6 AM EST Protector's Enclave barely had 150 to 200 people online. If you can jump online, do some testing finding a new peak time other than 3 PM EST / Noon PT / 7 PM GMT on the weekends, by all means, post your findings.

There are those who will call out my count as being bias, because I didn't count during an event or the upcoming anniversary. Others will claim I missed ten or twenty thousand hiding out in the Strongholds or doing professions. If anyone at Cryptic Studios cares to confirm or deny my count, I will be happy to be corrected. All I can confirm, is there are definitely more than 50 people in this game.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    edited May 2021

greywynd said:

armadeonx said:

@armadeonx that was a peak time on last Saturday.

In the past, I have done studies, you recall when everyone was arguing about the Steam number accuracy. I took count using the built in methods within the game and found them highly accurate. Using all the places listed above you will spend less than an hour counting people. This Monday at 6 AM EST Protector's Enclave barely had 150 to 200 people online. If you can jump online, do some testing finding a new peak time other than 3 PM EST / Noon PT / 7 PM GMT on the weekends, by all means, post your findings.

There are those who will call out my count as being bias, because I didn't count during an event or the upcoming anniversary. Others will claim I missed ten or twenty thousand hiding out in the Strongholds or doing professions. If anyone at Cryptic Studios cares to confirm or deny my count, I will be happy to be corrected. All I can confirm, is there are definitely more than 50 people in this game.
    I'm not questioning your methodology or results Wendy, you have a better idea on the subject than I do. I am on xbox however so my experience of activity is probably somewhat higher.

I do wish they'd find a way to merge the platforms but I'm not really expecting it. I know Sony was being 'extra precious' on the subject of cross-platforming the last time I saw it being discussed.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • mystar#5733 mystar Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    it really depends on what you're wanting to get from the game.
    the reward system isn't very good and is needing a complete overhaul so players don't feel like they're wasting their time for nothing.
    as broken as a lot of the game is it can still be fun to play as a new player.
    it's free to play and whether it's worth it or not is subjective.
    only thing you have to lose for trying it out is time.
    armadeonx said:

greywynd said:

armadeonx said:

@armadeonx that was a peak time on last Saturday.

I'm not questioning your methodology or results Wendy, you have a better idea on the subject than I do. I am on xbox however so my experience of activity is probably somewhat higher.

I do wish they'd find a way to merge the platforms but I'm not really expecting it. I know Sony was being 'extra precious' on the subject of cross-platforming the last time I saw it being discussed.
    I didn't think you were, I just remember the last time we brought up server population, we got pages of people ranting about statistics. There are multiple instances in all zones, sometimes you have to dig to find them all. Undermountain in the people search will pull up expeditions as well. I normally have to type in Undermountain #1 and proceed to do them by instances. Then I add the Yawning Portal and Expeditions. Places like Vellosk are always going to be low numbers. There appears to be a lot of new people joining from the looks of Blacklake to the Chasm being at 380, but then after level 35 to 40 the numbers drop off.

I don't know what the corporate politics are within the two companies. Very few games allow cross platform user play within the Microsoft and Sony systems. Currently most MMOs that allow for XB1 to play with PS4, will not allow PC to join them. My husband has told me in the past, that making your PC into a game console costs more than buying the console. One only needs to look at the price for the current Nvidia card to see that for a fact. GeForce RTX 3080 will cost $700 US and the PS5 $500 US and this is why he recommends people should play games on consoles and use computers for more work and less play. The last game console I owned was the Nintendo Wii.
    wb-cenders.gif
    Steam number is not accurate to tell the full picture. However, it is good enough to tell you "at least" how many people were connecting to the game through steam. Yes, the full picture may be N times more but OP only asked if it is more than 50 players.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • luffyhaki123luffyhaki123 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    rofl my post just got deleted explaining why it isn't good for new player when I didn't say any bad words or anything, no this game isn't worth it for new players , i'm not gonna type all I typed again, the fact they deleted my post says a lot
  • hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    edited May 2021

Doesnt find a area to post this question, so i guess here is fine.

is neverwinter worth to start playing as a new player? tbh i dont wanna waste time with a game which as 50 players or less, is there enough population to do all the content in the game? and if yes is there a full beginner progression guide and a dps tier list? (just to know which are good im a dps meta player, i just want the best dps right now)

Since you ask these questions, means this is not your first mmo game. So question for you, what other mmo you have played before, and what do you expect from Neverwinter?

Now the quantity of playerbase. This is least important thing.

Neverwinter online is mmo who's utilize instance system. And each instance hold up to 15~20 players.
    When comes dungeon content. There are skirmish and dungeons for one party (5 players), and there are trials( 10 players).
    Post edited by hadestemplar#9918 on
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    To the OP, honestly, give it a go.

It certainly isnt as much fun now as it was when I started, but you wont notice the difference.

Combat is slow compared to what it used to be like, but the game is fairly immersive and fun to play through.

The group content is ok.

The visuals are really nice in some areas.

Costume customization is fun.

It really IS free to play. No need to spend a dime for a long time. I played for Free for over a year, taking it slow, enjoying the stories, liking the visuals, learning how to play.

As a casual player the whole BiS is now hidden behind tedious grind and luck [RNG].

I would certainly recommend it as a casual FTP game as a hobby, just dont get hooked into the RNG stuff.
  • xenocide#6577 xenocide Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    If you want to play a free casual MMO I would definately give it a go, however there are some things to look out for when starting the game to make sure the experience isn't ruined for you.

1) make sure you join an ACTIVE guild/alliance.
    There are alot of dead guilds out there so if you find yourself in one don't get discouraged, just leave and find a new one.

2) Don't chase the end game.
    It is going to take you a very long time to get to the end game content and dungeons. Just play for fun and enjoy the journey.
    I see alot of players get to it pay to get to the end game, rushing there as fast as they can only to get bored with the game shortly after because there isn't anything new.

3) make some friends along the way
    This should go without saying but like other MMOs, the journey is alot more fun when you get to experience it with others.
  • chaderickrax#3780 chaderickrax Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    I started playing about six months ago.

As a new player, I think Neverwinter is absolutely AMAZING.

As a new player, I find that there is a very vocal group of dedicated players who have soured on the game and don't like the fact that it changes--significantly--every year to two years. If you read a little about the history of the game, you'll find that they do major overhauls every so often that make some things less valuable and other things more valuable. That sort of cheese-moving irritates folks who have not only been playing a long time, but who have invested real cash into their characters.

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic about my prospects as I move closer to my first full year as a player. I weathered the recent combat rework and have come to believe that people claiming that it made the game more complicated rather than less just don't want to invest the time in re-learning how to play the game. The game is simpler than before, by far, but the designers did a shoddy job of communicating that fact, and by leaving everyone to figure it out for themselves they made it seem like it got much MORE complicated, instead.

The weakest point of the game right now is the abject lack of communication from the design team. They can't talk about things they haven't completed, it seems, so there's nothing to drum up excitement for the Next Big Thing. The Next Little Thing is a repetitive loops of events and promotions that cycle in and out on Thursdays. The events are all still new to me, so they're nothing short of thrilling. New sites, new images, new music...I'm enthralled.

I guess my take as a relative newbie is this: It will blow your mind in the beginning, but I'm seeing a whole lot of jaded folks here whose cheese has been moved several times too many. It feels like a buyer-beware scenario to me.
  • admiralwarlord#3792 admiralwarlord Member Posts: 611 Arc User
    @chaderickrax#3780 You describe the game well. I hope that one day you understand the feeling of some here, since they went through many things, like changing the gameplay (yes, the gameplay of the game was more fun before Mod 16), some played and play in their classes even they the others are not competitive, among so many other problems, but this is because they remained here faithful to the game they like and have the right to criticize (never offend). NW was my first and only MMORPG that I played, so I don't know much about the others, but with a while everything stops being as tasty as at the beginning, but personally for me it is still praserous after 5 years playing, even if the dream of one day I "be the best" I have long since forgotten.
  • thany#4351 thany Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    It's not that bad but you could get into one problem with - "i just want the best dps right now".
  • chaderickrax#3780 chaderickrax Member Posts: 245 Arc User

@chaderickrax#3780 You describe the game well. I hope that one day you understand the feeling of some here, since they went through many things, like changing the gameplay (yes, the gameplay of the game was more fun before Mod 16), some played and play in their classes even they the others are not competitive, among so many other problems, but this is because they remained here faithful to the game they like and have the right to criticize (never offend). NW was my first and only MMORPG that I played, so I don't know much about the others, but with a while everything stops being as tasty as at the beginning, but personally for me it is still praserous after 5 years playing, even if the dream of one day I "be the best" I have long since forgotten.

I am a little worried that I'm on the verge of "diminishing returns." I'm really loving it, still, but I have really come to feel a closer understanding of why people have become so sour on it, too. I just don't want to feel that way myself!

I think the hardest part is the sense that the development team is so detached from the player base. I've read in a lot of instances that it wasn't always like this, and the sense that "we had it and lost it" is actually worse than "they never interacted with us at all."

And I'm not naïve enough to blame the developers themselves. With licenses like D&D, and companies looking to make a profit...it's not hard to believe that as time went on the team found themselves less and less able to speak. But, also, as people grew more and more embittered, it probably feels increasingly less safe to do so. That combination doesn't breed a lot of interaction.
    edited May 2021

I am a little worried that I'm on the verge of "diminishing returns." I'm really loving it, still, but I have really come to feel a closer understanding of why people have become so sour on it, too. I just don't want to feel that way myself!

I think the hardest part is the sense that the development team is so detached from the player base. I've read in a lot of instances that it wasn't always like this, and the sense that "we had it and lost it" is actually worse than "they never interacted with us at all."

And I'm not naïve enough to blame the developers themselves. With licenses like D&D, and companies looking to make a profit...it's not hard to believe that as time went on the team found themselves less and less able to speak. But, also, as people grew more and more embittered, it probably feels increasingly less safe to do so. That combination doesn't breed a lot of interaction.
    No matter what the dev do, there is always people hate it and those are the people who make post here. For those who actually like it, it is seldom to come here to say they like it. If they do, they need to prepare to be attacked.

The 'fight' never stop. When they please one group, the other group attacks. When they please another group, the other group attacks. In the end of the day, they will not please everybody.

I get used to nothing will stay forever. Hence, I would not jump through the hoops to spend too much effort to get anything. Most shinning item will be obsolete. The question is only about when, soon or later. Otherwise, there will be no carrot for us to chase. Hence, I always diversify (play 6 characters) and invest most to long term stuff (bank slot, character slot, ...) first. I also avoid RNG as much as possible. For me, I expect change (good or bad) and I cannot stop the change but I can deal with the change.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User

Steam number is not accurate to tell the full picture. However, it is good enough to tell you "at least" how many people were connecting to the game through steam. Yes, the full picture may be N times more but OP only asked if it is more than 50 players.

Well I am confused now about the numbers. I don't want to open old wounds but I went to the Steam Charts page and they reported 2,345 playing on 5/15 at 1500 hours (3 PM eastern). That is more than what Wendy counted in her survey. Any ideas on how Steam is getting MORE people than what is actually in the game?

I trust Wendy and I have done these head counts before with her. I will do my own count this Saturday, if I am not too busy. Then post the results here on this thread.

Did everyone drop Arc Launcher and start using Steam!? :trollface:

Just killing time...
    edited May 2021

Well I am confused now about the numbers. I don't want to open old wounds but I went to the Steam Charts page and they reported 2,345 playing on 5/15 at 1500 hours (3 PM eastern). That is more than what Wendy counted in her survey. Any ideas on how Steam is getting MORE people than what is actually in the game?

I trust Wendy and I have done these head counts before with her. I will do my own count this Saturday, if I am not too busy. Then post the results here on this thread.

Wendy's calculation had 2319 with the disclaimer of "excluded are Strongholds and Dungeons".
    I would say Wendy could only check how many at that "minute" in that zone.
    Steam's number probably would be how many went through steam to access NW in that period (such as within an hour or half an hour, etc) and Steam would not know the person is currently within the game or sitting on 'Switch character' page.
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User

Wendy's calculation had 2319 with the disclaimer of "excluded are Strongholds and Dungeons".
    I would say Wendy could only check how many at that "minute" in that zone.
    Steam's number probably would be how many went through steam to access NW in that period (such as within an hour or half an hour, etc) and Steam would not know the person is currently within the game or sitting on 'Switch character' page.
    If Wendy counted 2,319 on May 15th and Steam reports 2,345 on May 15th at the same hour, then there is no doubt in my mind that somehow Steam is able to access the entire user base and not just the ones on Steam. The popular concept is people using the Arc Launcher and those who launch without either, are not counted by Steam. If Steam represents a fraction of the player base, then the count within the game itself must be higher. For example only: If Wendy counted 2,319 and Steam reports 460, this would show 20% of the player bast to be on Steam using their launcher.

As for users in strongholds and dungeons, they can be counted using the tool set within the game, but the count is normally pretty low. Before she has found as little as 50 or less in Strongholds and the Vallenhas module will be counted unless you use the -vallenhas switch. The same occurs with dungeons as there are few dungeons and they account for less the 100 people most of the time. One dungeon runs 5 people at a time and maybe occurs in 3 instances for a total of 15 or maybe 10 people and 5 bots. The only reason she neglects to count them, they are cumbersome to process for such small amounts.

@plasticbat You suggest a very high number of players hanging at the switch character screen, they are technically not playing, some people will be counted twice and others not at all. According to the Uncertainty Principle by the German physicist Werner Heisenberg, a body in motion cannot be observed at once with 100% accuracy. Mathematical wave mechanics can be used, by multiple observations, to make a very clear observation. What we have at this point is two counts, one done within the game using the tool set by a human, and the other is an automated process done by some unknown third party process. I personally wrote an email to the focal point of that web page. I explained the quandary and await their response has how or where the the data is collected and processed.

Meanwhile Wendy has told me she is satisfied with her results.
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    Location Search String Population
    TIME: 1400 hours EST 1800 hours GMT
    Blacklake
    District
    Blacklake District 43
    Tower District Tower District 74
    Blackdagger Ruins Blackdagger Ruins 39
    Neverdeath
    Graveyard
    Neverdeath Graveyard 67
    Helm's Hold Helm's Hold 45
    Ebon Downs Ebon Downs 33
    Vellosk Vellosk 14
    Pirates' Skyhold Pirates' Skyhold 19
    Icespire Peak Icespire Peak 20
    The Chasm The Chasm 31
    Rothé Valley Rothé Valley 19
    Mount Hotenow Mount Hotenow 16
    Whispering
    Caverns
    Whispering Caverns 25
    Gauntlgrym Gauntlgrym 1
    TIME: 1404 Subtotal: 446
    Drowned Shore Drowned Shore 10
    Reclamation Rock Reclamation Rock 16
    Fiery Pit Fiery Pit 13
    Spinward Rise Spinward Rise 9
    Dread Ring Dread Ring 65
    Caer-Konig Caer-Konig 9
    Icewind Pass Icewind Pass 19
    Dwarven Valley Dwarven Valley 3
    Well of Dragons Well of Dragons 68
    Mantol-Derith Mantol-Derith 18
    TIME: 1407 Subtotal: 230
    Bryn Shander Bryn Shander 17
    Lonelywood Lonelywood 7
    Cold Run Cold Run 3
    Sea of Moving Ice Sea of Moving Ice 20
    River District River District #1..#7 118
    Port Nyanzaru Port Nyanzaru 12
    Soshenstar River Soshenstar River 10
    Lost City of Omu Lost City of Omu 12
    Barovia Barovia 36
    TIME: 1411 Subtotal: 235
    The Yawning
    Portal
    The Yawning Portal 4
    Catacombs Catacombs 7
    Twisted Caverns Twisted Caverns 14
    Wyllowwood Wyllowwood 13
    Terminus Terminus 9
    Vanrakdoom Vanrakdoom 11
    Undermountain
    Expedition
    Undermountain Expedition 40
    Stardock Stardock 1
    TIME: 1415 Subtotal: 99
    Vallenhas Vallenhas #1..#16 149
    Avernus Avernus #1..#15 228
    New Sharandar New Sharandar #1..#28 171
    TIME: 1425 Subtotal: 548
    Protector's
    Enclave
    Manual Entry 562
    Stronghold stronghold -vallenhas 119
    TIME: 1429 Subtotal: 681

Grand Total: 2239

That is my count, I started at 2 PM and finished my count at 2:30 PM. I broke Undermountain down by levels and expeditions. If anyone has an idea where all the thousands of other people are hiding, let me know. I was always told that Steam represents about 20 to 30 percent of the total PC population. So when I looked at Steam Charts and see +2200 counted I always thought we had 6,000 to 9,000 people here. Since I counted all adventure zones also the strongholds, is someone going to seriously tell me all the rest are playing in the dungeons?

Just killing time...
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    Do people appear online in the counts, even if they are invisible?
    - bye bye -
  • rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers were quite a bit higher once you count dungeons. I know if I look at who's on in my guild, it will show their location. It isn't at all surprising to see 50% or more in either a dungeon or a trial at any given time. That said, it also wouldn't surprise me if Steam's numbers were inflated by the number of people who are doing invocations and logging really quickly and changing characters. So if I were roughly guestimating...I would expect roughly 3000 to 3300ish players on during the times you two took a census.

Do people appear online in the counts, even if they are invisible?

Generally, no. That's part of the point of being invisible.

That and to be able to steal cookies.
  • mushellkamushellka Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 357 Arc User
    Out of curiosity, I checked 25 instances of Vos. There were currently 85 people there. Your calculations are. . . inaccurate at best.

Persons with the status set to "invisible" are also not included in this enumerations.
    Better to feed the troll than listen to the idiot .