test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bug with the Merchant Woes Quest

beardedturtlebeardedturtle Member Posts: 8 Arc User

The Merchant Woes quest in Bryn Shandar has apparently been broken for 3+ years as the first post I could find on it is from 2018 calling it an "old bug". I am able to complete the quest but when I go to knucklehead camp to turn it in, guard Cecil just isn't there. Instead he's standing in the market, not letting me turn in the quest. Before any one asks I have already tried moving instances, changing maps, signing out/signing in, quitting the game/restarting it, and redoing the quest three times. The quest path isn't even able to point to me to him instead saying "Could not find path". Some have suggested that i should try to complete another campaign quest to turn this in, but the only other quest i can do literally has completing Merchant Woes as a completion requirement. I have no clue how this hasn't been patched considering you can't continue through the campaign without completing this quest. I've attached an image to hopefully make my problem more clear.

Comments

• beardedturtlebeardedturtle Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    No has been able to help me with this so I thought I might as well make this a log myself considering I redo this quest everyday in hopes it is fixed. In a fun new development I can't even do the 2nd part of the quest now because the barbarians don't show up no matter how long you wait. On the brightside, I found two more people who were having problems so at least I know I'm not alone. I emailed support again after they instructed me to post here and no one responded and support told me, "I tried doing the same quest and it was completed normally on my end" which I think is hilarious. I just imagine someone calling 911 as their house burns down and the dispatcher tells them, "Well I just checked and my house, and it's fine, so you have a good day now". I also think this is funny because despite support telling me they have no way to turn in the quest for me on their end, they proved it's possible with the reply I just mentioned. I highly doubt they just have an account on hand that is exactly where I am in the storyline, so the fact that they told me the quest works on their end means that they can skip and complete quests with backend commands. Anyways, I hope this is amusing to anyone who reads this in two years when they have the same problem.
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    Thanks for reporting. During our last investigation we were unable to repro this issue but we will look into it again. We may need to look at the specific accounts impacted if we cannot reproduce again internally.
    Redid the quest again today, barbarians finally came but still no Cecil for me to turn in the quest to :( . No matter how high my item level is I cannot defeat the all powerful red text stating "Could not find path to this quest on your current map". I'm not a conspiracy theorist who is gonna say that this quest is intentionally broken because I've talked to people in my guild who have done it before just fine, BUT... considering I can only get the relic trader after I progress though this storyline and that's one of the main ways to get voninblod (Which you need 120,000 of for the boons alone) it means that my only options to complete the campaign are to farm for hundreds of hours, spend 7mil+ on genie's gifts, or cough up 20 bucks for a completion token. I know I am over reacting to this and it honestly doesn't matter but it's just kinda sad to see the game i used to play for a fun story get reduced down to pay to progress.

On a serious note, if there is someone in support honestly trying to help me, I don't remember the usernames of the other people I met but if I find them again I'll post it here.
    Had a dream last night about being able to turn in the quest, unfortunately it didn't come true. Still no Cecil.
  • seekey#7769 seekey Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    Sometimes changing instance while completing quests can solve problems. Did you tried that?
    Unfortunately, switching instances does not fix the problem. It's been 37 days now and there has been no fix. I got hopeful since there was a patch this morning but alas no fix. I still do this quest every once in a while to appease my morbid curiosity if cryptic will allow me to play their game. But given that this problem does not affect a significant amount of users my only solution is to forfeit 20 dollars. My disappointment is immeasurable and my gameplay has been ruined.
    I finished my sophomore year of university last week and I'm starting to wonder if I'll graduate before this bug gets fixed. I really wish Cryptic had any form of a reputation to uphold so that my complaints might have any weight but unfortunately they shoot themselves in the foot with every new addition to the game. I mean seriously, in just the past week alone they've ruined the Jubilee event and locked BiS companions behind a 50 dollar paywall. It makes me wonder if some higher up is actively trying to either kill the game or turn it into Raid Shadow Legends
    Lol just found out Cecil is technically there. His hitbox won't let me stand in the exact spot he's in. I just can't see or talk to him. He is my guardian spirt telling me I should stop playing this game.
    Great news everyone! It works! Unfortunately mod 21 has been pretty disappointing and I think I'm gonna move on to FF14. I wish you all good luck and safe travels.