What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Chris Whiteside?

2»

Comments

• hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    kreatyve said:

I'm fairly certain (though have not gotten official confirmation) that they were able to backfill those positions internally. Their careers page only has 1 position listed for Neverwinter currently, and 1 for the core team, both for engineers.

I was not worried that there may remain empty spot in team. Sure it may cause some delays but that is least problematic thing..

Now in very start I am not again her/him by any mean and I wish new dev good luck.

As for what I had in mind by telling delays.

What happens when new guy get assigned to balance classes or x dungeon mechanic or etc.
    Sure they may have gathered data, which abilites where most used, which least. How each of them working and if they overperform or underperform and etc.

But here is thing, neverwinter is not tab target mmorpg game, it's action combat based mmorpg game. And you can't balance classes/dungeon mechanics just by looking in numbers.

You need to know how each class engage in game, how fight and counter dungeon mechanic.

As example lets take mod 6 and life steal nerf.. The nerf was needed that without doubt. But here is thing what happened. Team forgot that one class where more relaying on lfie steal than others. The warlocks main tool to survive at that time where only life steal. Shadow slip up to mod 10 whas giving only 30% dmg increase when using shadow slip. And it's main purpose where not to dodge enemies hits, it's main purpose where to dash in to enemeis, and start procing life steal.

Now how it ended up with warlock, you know history yourself so I don't write it here. :)

The moral of the storry is that, by adjusting one mechanic or item without properly knowing other classes you may cause them issue so they can't counter dungeon mechanic or their gameplay become broken.

In time new dev will learn all about mechanics and classses and other stuffs.. all is need time.

Thats what I had in mind when I was talking about delays.
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User

I have no way of confirming, but two long-time NW streamers reported yesterday that dev Astradahl is also gone.

It would be nice to know who is running this ship and where they are steering it, other than dropping $140 packs into the Zen store.

Keep in mind this is only 1 team on one of 4 games. Even if the whole company was in the toilet, at best PWE would simply invest some money to replace staff members, or at worse they would sell it off to Konami. Welcome to Neverwinter: Pachinko! :trollface:

Just killing time...
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    edited May 2021

kreatyve said:

I'm fairly certain (though have not gotten official confirmation) that they were able to backfill those positions internally. Their careers page only has 1 position listed for Neverwinter currently, and 1 for the core team, both for engineers.

I was not worried that there may remain empty spot in team. Sure it may cause some delays but that is least problematic thing..

Now in very start I am not again her/him by any mean and I wish new dev good luck.

As for what I had in mind by telling delays.

What happens when new guy get assigned to balance classes or x dungeon mechanic or etc.
    Sure they may have gathered data, which abilites where most used, which least. How each of them working and if they overperform or underperform and etc.

But here is thing, neverwinter is not tab target mmorpg game, it's action combat based mmorpg game. And you can't balance classes/dungeon mechanics just by looking in numbers.

You need to know how each class engage in game, how fight and counter dungeon mechanic.

As example lets take mod 6 and life steal nerf.. The nerf was needed that without doubt. But here is thing what happened. Team forgot that one class where more relaying on lfie steal than others. The warlocks main tool to survive at that time where only life steal. Shadow slip up to mod 10 whas giving only 30% dmg increase when using shadow slip. And it's main purpose where not to dodge enemies hits, it's main purpose where to dash in to enemeis, and start procing life steal.

Now how it ended up with warlock, you know history yourself so I don't write it here. :)

The moral of the storry is that, by adjusting one mechanic or item without properly knowing other classes you may cause them issue so they can't counter dungeon mechanic or their gameplay become broken.

In time new dev will learn all about mechanics and classses and other stuffs.. all is need time.

Thats what I had in mind when I was talking about delays.
    Honestly, the turnover rate for Cryptic devs is standard for the industry as a whole, from what I've seen. This is normal. All the MMOs have people coming and going all the time. Don't believe me? Go look at careers pages for all the major MMOs. It's very rare to have no positions open for a long period of time.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    kreatyve said:

Honestly, the turnover rate for Cryptic devs is standard for the industry as a whole, from what I've seen. This is normal. All the MMOs have people coming and going all the time. Don't believe me? Go look at careers pages for all the major MMOs. It's very rare to have no positions open for a long period of time.

Yeah thats true, it's normal practice. I think prior sharandar release new dev got brought in to the team, who did Sharandar visuals. And if I am not mistaken same person come from Star Trek team.

In any cases, sure we can talk about it, but that will change nothing anyways.. New person will take @asterdahl place, maybe also he will be in charge of his classes when come balancing or fixing bugs or maybe not. Time will tell how it will goes..

When comes careers pages, they are not the best indicator. It's silly to think that everyone use it. :) On top, it's not just mmo games, you can work art visuals for offline games, and be hired to work for mmo's for envitorment or models desings.
    Same thing with animators and coders and programers and sound/music producers :) And also do not overesitamate so called major mmo's. Even small less known teams time to time bring more innovation in games than so called major game development studios :)
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

I had some friends way back that were working in the games industry.

Basically the job as a dev in the games industry is very rewarding in the sense that you see your work being used by a lot of very passionate people.

The downside is you also get a lot of (negative) comments, and it can be stressful. Also the pay was rather low compared to what a developer can get in other parts of the IT industry.

So basically it worked out so that game company developer was a younger persons job, and they moved on to less stressful and better paid jobs over time. That actually is a problem for the game industry as they then miss the structure, oversight and stability provided by more experienced developers.
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    Thats not just the industry - right now it is actually a disadvantage to some extent to always stay at the same business/in the same position - there is always some come'n'go. You get side-eyed if people see that you worked at the same place for several years. (1-2 years is good, less is bad too) Especially in jobs that rely on people's opinion, creativity and motivation to play a factor in how a product is produced, it is beneficial that somebody has seen more than one company they know inside-out for like 10+ years.

I mean. There is still references. People still have to actually pass some internal standard test. But there is always people that can sell themselves well and people that can't.
    In any way: This situation is actually completely fine - what happens now is what is going to be interesting. GW2 reversed some stuff, continued with others... In the end, it already happened, and it's time to move on if you still want this game to go on.

Not sure if those juicy mount and comp packs are the way to make the game go on or just to squeeze the lemon as long as people still think they really really want some lemonade.
    Post edited by jules#6770 on
    - bye bye -

On the corporate ladder to success, I believe I am roughly the third man down from the top.

At present, I have been with the current organization for a few months now. :trollface:

Just killing time...
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

On the corporate ladder to success, I believe I am roughly the third man down from the top.

At present, I have been with the current organization for a few months now. :trollface:
    Well, at least you are on the ladder? I'm not even in the pic.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    I once worked in a company with around 100 employees. I counted 7 layers of organization from me to the CEO :)
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User

I once worked in a company with around 100 employees. I counted 7 layers of organization from me to the CEO :)

Been there. Everyone knew everyone in the plant across all shifts. Then it expanded.

I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    Seems like only yesterday, I was telling the owner to watch my station, I needed to get more frozen hamburgers out... oh wait, that was yesterday! :trollface:

Just killing time...
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    kreatyve said:

actually i thought you were ... *points to the low stool in the background * : D
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User

Seems like only yesterday, I was telling the owner to watch my station, I needed to get more frozen hamburgers out... oh wait, that was yesterday! :trollface:

How far down does that put you from the clown?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    greywynd said:

How far down does that put you from the clown?
    They fired the clown years ago. :trollface:

Actually in June, I am heading to Dallas, Texas for a seminar. Rental car, 3 other sweaty men, and over 18 hours on the road, I might feel like the guy at the bottom in that picture. Remind me, what is good in Dallas I should go see? I am very tempted to go to this museum of fine art but I don't know, if I can hacksaw through the chains at seminar.

Just killing time...
    kalina311 said:

kreatyve said:

actually i thought you were ... *points to the low stool in the background * : D
    No, see the person that's almost in the picture on the left side of the screen, probably helping to hold the ladder up but not significant enough to be in the pic? That would be me.
    kuI2v8l.png