test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tradehouse Search Dysfunction

oktlryk#2717 oktlryk Member Posts: 149 Arc User
The tradehouse has a flaw in the search function. For instance when searching for something with 2 words, after the first word the search expects everything to be an exact match: If for instance you would search for Staff of Flowers, 'Staff Flowers' may not work, or Elite Neverwinter Companion Pack, 'Elite Companion' may not find it.

And the other flaw in the search is that sometimes you have to click the corresponding sub category to get a hit, for instance when searching for shimmerweave cloth you will have to click on the professions category for the search to work instead of working at the top level.

And finally I think it takes into account white space and commas as well - thanks for the time!

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    It just does a simple SQL match in the database. It is not a search engine type of search. The simple SQL match is already provided by the database. They don't need to develop or buy anything vs a search engine type of search.

Basically,

select * from AH where name match '*{the string you provided}*' and {other conditions};

Search for "shimmerweave cloth" would work in top level (without selecting Profession) if you are not in 'Advanced search'.

Click 'hide advanced search' and search for 'shimmerweave cloth'. You may need to exit AH and come back.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • oktlryk#2717 oktlryk Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    thanks - that was helpful - however didja really mean SQL queries work? I actually tried a few lol - but nothing
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    No they have it so you cannot tamper with the database. If you are looking for anything, you must use fewer words or exact matches. Also make sure you know the category (tabs on the left) for example, "Staff of " in the search and Equipment / Artifact tab active on the left. Unselected tabs often results in nil searches.

Many people say the better search was a webpage version called the Gateway, but it was shutdown. My wife tells me the old Gateway web search not only allowed for better searching options, you could make your purchase (buy/sell) and not bother to log into the 3D game at that time.

It would probably be out of their current skill set and budget to make a mobile phone app, to replace the old Gateway webpage.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    not to mention being unable to search for a mount or companion by their equip bonuses or enhancement powers... noooo, we have to go to Rainers Pocket Wiki to search a database made by a player....

rainers pocket wiki
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • mintmarkmintmark Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 403 Arc User
    I try and use this to my advantage... if I want to find a specific item I use a distinctive substring, and often this will span a word boundary.

For example, staff of flowers might be "f fl", the new feywild sylph companion is "ld sy", and the new mount is "ld st". The legendary celestial stags are "al st". Sometimes you need a longer string if two parts of the name are important (like "ing stone, rank 5").

It's surprising how short a string you can get away with for an almost unique result.
    For a long time I searched for "al ar", but they were very expensive!

Works for me :)
    edited May 2021

thanks - that was helpful - however didja really mean SQL queries work? I actually tried a few lol - but nothing

They would (or should) implement in a way that you cannot do SQL injection to hack it.
    What I wrote is a rough idea of how they would construct the SQL statement within the game to access the database to retrieve AH result set. I have no idea what their database schema would be.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    edited May 2021

No they have it so you cannot tamper with the database. If you are looking for anything, you must use fewer words or exact matches. Also make sure you know the category (tabs on the left) for example, "Staff of " in the search and Equipment / Artifact tab active on the left. Unselected tabs often results in nil searches.

Unselect tabs results in nil search because you are in 'Advanced search' (by default it is Equipment's version) that constructs a SQL statement with extra "where" condition that does not apply and causes the result set to be empty. If you "Hide Advanced Search", it will not include that extra where condition and get the proper result.
  • oktlryk#2717 oktlryk Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    OK thanks for the info everyone - And yeah I forgot to mention the almost non functional search by equip thing and similar stats on various eq that dont have them - lol - companions with class and enchantment types? Doesnt make sense - well anyway I think it's a good front end - works as well as it can - only certain dysfunctional features and actions that need to be trimmed - thx for the time and info! l8er
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    mintmark said:

Sometimes you need a longer string if two parts of the name are important (like "ing stone, rank 5").

"g st" and set the item to epic.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.